What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 vs Melbourne

Frank Facer

First Grade
Would have put mann there and flo on the wing.
Nicholls picked has a kicking game.
Not expecting us to star v the storm,because they are a well structured team whoever they pick.
It looks like Mary doesn't want Nightingale on the wing anymore, unless there is an injury to another back mid game. It makes sense to me.

Brutalitops

Juniors
Looking forward to this match a lot. Excited for the team.

Not gonna be too hard on the blokes if they lose this time, a young team against the Melbourne Storm is no easy task, especially considering Storm have had many years to adjust to Origin interruption. Win or lose this will be valuable for the boys

Como Connection

First Grade
Yes OT most pleased also to see young Niccolls in the team , can direct the boys around the park and as said he has a good kicking game to back it up . This will be the game that will certainly give the juniors some good experience , one way or the other . With James Graham to point the way for the those younger players they should not be too overawed .
At my age, yes Niccolls is young at 29.
CC
It looks like Mary doesn't want Nightingale on the wing anymore, unless there is an injury to another back mid game. It makes sense to me.
Had to put Mann there to stiffen the defence and add to the try scoring chances.
Good move a bit late.
CC

redandwhite4evr

Juniors

I think it is more than that- Nighty has effectively been given a testimonial year and the club is now embarrassed that they may have made a mistake by letting him play on particularly when he got a bath from Ado-Carr last time they played the Storm. The only other position other than wing, Nighty has played is at full-back and there's no way that Dufty, the future of the club, will be shifted from there. What to do? - we can't drop him- that would be humiliating for the club and Nighty so all that's left is to put him out of harm's way in some kind of manufactured middle position. Mann is not a winger nor Nighty a middle forward and I think that these two decisions could cost us any chance of a grand final appearance. Doesn't really matter anyway because if Souths can keep all their players on the field- and that's a big if- Inglis just keeps getting injured and Sam Burgess suspended- they will win the comp with the Storm runners up.

Crush

Coach
I think it is more than that- Nighty has effectively been given a testimonial year and the club is now embarrassed that they may have made a mistake by letting him play on particularly when he got a bath from Ado-Carr last time they played the Storm. The only other position other than wing, Nighty has played is at full-back and there's no way that Dufty, the future of the club, will be shifted from there. What to do? - we can't drop him- that would be humiliating for the club and Nighty so all that's left is to put him out of harm's way in some kind of manufactured middle position. Mann is not a winger nor Nighty a middle forward and I think that these two decisions could cost us any chance of a grand final appearance. Doesn't really matter anyway because if Souths can keep all their players on the field- and that's a big if- Inglis just keeps getting injured and Sam Burgess suspended- they will win the comp with the Storm runners up.
Why don't you think Mann is a winger?
I think that is his best position.

Bench
Mann has proved himself a winger, our top try scorer in 2016 and even then did not play the whole year on the wing.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Melbourne will be without 5 origin players and will also be missing Jesse Bromwich, Finucane and Kassiano, so they will effectively be without 4 forwards and 4 backs. I think we are meeting them on better terms than if we were both at full strength.

Lucky and Host debuted 2 seasons ago, so they should now be seasoned enough to handle first grade. I expected one of them to be our regular starting secondrower this year, instead of Sims, with the other on the bench. Lawrie debuted last year and has had another taste of first grade recently. Sele played a lot of games last year, many off the bench. He was even selected for City. I think the likes of Lucky, Host, Lawrie and Sele all should be able to handle first grade. The concern is that they will all be expected to step up and perform without our origin forwards on Friday night. I am hoping that they can produce on Friday night. I will add that there are many on this forum who have big wraps on one or more of each of those players.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Melbourne will be without 5 origin players and will also be missing Jesse Bromwich, Finucane and Kassiano, so they will effectively be without 4 forwards and 4 backs. I think we are meeting them on better terms than if we were both at full strength.

Lucky and Host debuted 2 seasons ago, so they should now be seasoned enough to handle first grade. I expected one of them to be our regular starting secondrower this year, instead of Sims, with the other on the bench. Lawrie debuted last year and has had another taste of first grade recently. Sele played a lot of games last year, many off the bench. He was even selected for City. I think the likes of Lucky, Host, Lawrie and Sele all should be able to handle first grade. The concern is that they will all be expected to step up and perform without our origin forwards on Friday night. I am hoping that they can produce on Friday night. I will add that there are many on this forum who have big wraps on one or more of each of those players.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Sorry Frank -I'd like to agree but whenever I watch ISP matches none of those four forwards goes near dominating a game. Lawrie is the one who's impressed me most in recent times but there is a MAAASSIVE difference between them and our four origin stars. If we win tomorrow night, it will be the backs who do it- Melbourne's forwards have more NRL experience and look superior to ours.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Sorry Frank -I'd like to agree but whenever I watch ISP matches none of those four forwards goes near dominating a game. Lawrie is the one who's impressed me most in recent times but there is a MAAASSIVE difference between them and our four origin stars. If we win tomorrow night, it will be the backs who do it- Melbourne's forwards have more NRL experience and look superior to ours.
We have to match Melbourne in the forwards to beat them in the backs. Melbourne are without 4 top line forwards too

The Damo

Juniors
For Starting props I’d give Graham and LAM a pretty decent edge over Welch and NAS.
Edges I reckon Host is about equal with Stimson. Hoffman clearly ahead of Leilua and KBrom ahead of Lawrie fair enough. Though if Lawrie can repeat his work rate from last week for 50/55 minutes he’d be closer than I’d expected.
Bench I think Latimore and Sele are both at least as good as pat kaufusi, and I haven’t seen any of the storms other bench forward Kami but he’s played 7 minutes of first grade this year and 24 last year so he’s certainly less experienced.
So I think our props and bench forwards should be better, their edges and lock superior to ours. Experience wise I don’t think there’s a clear difference either. They are a good chance of matching the Storm forwards.

getsmarty

Immortal
seleh-18022422.jpg

TEAM LISTS

24-hour warning: Round 17 v Melbourne Storm
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 4 Jul 2018, 07:50 PM

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has trimmed his squad by two ahead of the Dragons' Round 17 clash against the Melbourne Storm on Thursday, July 5 at AAMI Park.

Mitchell Allgood and Jordan Pereira are the two players to miss out on selection 24 hours out from the game, currently scheduled for a 7:50pm kick-off.

The remaining 19 players travelled down to Melbourne on Wednesday afternoon.

NRL squad for Round 17 v Melbourne Storm:

1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by Illawarra Mercury/St George & Sutherland Shire Leader
2. Nene Macdonald – sponsored by Relativity in the Loop
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by University of Wollongong
4. Tim Lafai – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
5. Kurt Mann – sponsored by SMAI
6. Gareth Widdop (c) – sponsored by Dynamic Projects
7. Darren Nicholls – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
8. James Graham – sponsored by EFEX
9. Cameron McInnes – sponsored by Floormania
10. Leeson Ah Mau – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
11. Jacob Host – sponsored by Val Morgan
12. Luciano Leilua – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
13. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski

Interchange:
14. Jeremy Latimore – sponsored by Addbuild Additions
15. Jason Nightingale– sponsored by Wollongong Diagnostics
16. Hame Sele – sponsored by Westfund
17. Reece Robson – sponsored by Domus Lighting
18. Patrick Herbert
19. Jai Field

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/07/04/24-hour-warning-round-17-v-melbourne-storm/

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons 2018: Nicholls to make long-awaited NRL debut
Dragons Den News
r251_0_3221_1918_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

WAIT LIFTED: Darren Nicholls will make his NRL debut on Thursday. Picture: Sylvia Liber.

PAUL McGregor has handed out plenty of debuts in his three and a half years as Dragons coach, but few have been more satisfying than the one he’ll give halfback Darren Nicholls against Melbourne on Thursday.

The 29-year-old will become of the oldest debutants in recent NRL history when he runs out at AAMI Park in the No. 7 jumper as a replacement for the Origin-tied Ben Hunt.

The Holy Cross Rhinos product has never been out of work as a player, having been fulltime at South Sydney, Brisbane and Penrith, though a top-grade debut has proven elusive.

That will change on Thursday, with McGregor going with Nicholls despite having utility Kurt Mann and young-gun Jai Field as options.

“It’s outstanding. Number one, he’s a really good person and you can see why he’s been in so many [full-time] systems, because of that,” McGregor said.

“He works hard at training, he’s perfect to have in a squad when you’re playing opposed and get the reserve grade throw the opposition attack at you. He does that very well. For me he’s a genuine halfback, he’s got a great kicking game, defensively he’s improved out of sight this year.

“There’s not better person to get the reward than Dessy on Thursday. It’s certainly a good opportunity for a lot of our players who’ve been waiting for this chance around Origin time.

“There’s a lot of excitement in the shed and those guys who’ve been waiting for the opportunity need to go out there and really give their all.”

It’s been a decade in the making for Nicholls who will be the oldest debut half of the NRL era.

"It's been a journey for me,” Nicholls said..

‘‘I think as a footy player you can always imagine yourself playing the top grade and there are times where there are injuries and you think it could be your go.

‘‘Ben has been good for numerous years and when I signed here I knew there would be an opportunity around Origin time and that sort of stuff. It came into my decision to come here.’’

Nicholls gets the chance in the absence of Hunt, who was dumped as Maroons halfback after wearing the brunt of criticism for Queensland’s 2-0 series loss.

He has been retained as a bench utility, with Manly skipper Daly Cherry-Evans to wear the No. 7. It’s a move at odds with the Maroons often espoused ‘pick-and-stick policy, something McGregor hinted at on Wednesday.

‘‘Looks like it, doesn’t it? They haven’t lost for a while so I think losing challenges them in all different areas,” he said.

“I’m happy for NSW because I’m a New South Welshman, but I am certainly disappointed on an individual basis for Benny. Would I have made the change? No, definitely not, but it’s not up to me.

“He will do a very good job off the interchange. With Benny coming on in that dummy half - which one would think - he could cause some trouble late in the game.

‘It gives Queensland a different dimension but I still feel that Benny didn’t do enough wrong [to be dropped] but I’m not a selector and I’m not a Queenslander.

“He’s had some very good games for our club and when he comes back, which will be after this game, he’s got eight weeks to finish the season how he’s played the first two thirds of it.’’

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...ence-pays-off-for-veteran-journeymen/?cs=3713

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
With Origin providing a distraction, and with so many absentees on both sides, what could be the determining advantage here?

Answer: home ground advantage which is an euphemism for 'referees'.

Although Saints have named a relatively strong outfit, I'm not confident about this game at all.

Frank Facer

First Grade
This will be the first game of the year that we are not favourites with the bookies. I will still be tipping us to beat Melbourne. I am looking for big games from Lucky and Host.

Latest posts