What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 17 vs Melbourne

Dragon66

Juniors
As I have said earlier as long as we match them in the forwards, and not allow Smith to control the flow of the game, and move the ball wide and often this is a game we should win.

The Melbourne backline is decimated and that is our best chance of piling on a decent score line.

I’m not sure what’s the point of having Robson sit on the bench for 80 minutes, because unless McIness gets injured I see no chance of him coming off at all.
Could Robson get run at lock! Why?

I’m still hopeful that Herbert gets a run because I think he could be more influential out wide as we try to find space on the edges to score points.

This game to me is really McGregor’s chance to show he CAN coach.

If we play the “power game” it will be tight. He’s hoping. Go the Dragons

Frank Facer

First Grade
As I have said earlier as long as we match them in the forwards, and not allow Smith to control the flow of the game, and move the ball wide and often this is a game we should win.

The Melbourne backline is decimated and that is our best chance of piling on a decent score line.

I’m not sure what’s the point of having Robson sit on the bench for 80 minutes, because unless McIness gets injured I see no chance of him coming off at all.

I’m still hopeful that Herbert gets a run because I think he could be more influential out wide as we try to find space on the edges to score points.

I agree with you about Robson. With Nightingale on the bench, it looks like we may be going in with 2 bench players who would probably come on and play lock, although both of them aren't even locks. That is why I would have gone with Ford as the 4th bench player instead of Robson, as Ford would be able to give Leilua a break and Host too if need be.

Crush

Coach
With Origin providing a distraction, and with so many absentees on both sides, what could be the determining advantage here?

Answer: home ground advantage which is an euphemism for 'referees'.

Although Saints have named a relatively strong outfit, I'm not confident about this game at all.
Breaking News: Jimmy isn't confident about this game. Stop the press!

BennyV

Referee
I agree with you about having Nightingale and Robson on the bench. I believe we should have only had one of them on the bench and another genuine forward, such as Ford on the bench.
Has Ford been promoted to the Top 30? He was on a development contract this year which restrict him from playing first grade.

Drakon

Juniors
Melbourne will be without 5 origin players and will also be missing Jesse Bromwich, Finucane and Kassiano, so they will effectively be without 4 forwards and 4 backs. I think we are meeting them on better terms than if we were both at full strength.

Lucky and Host debuted 2 seasons ago, so they should now be seasoned enough to handle first grade. I expected one of them to be our regular starting secondrower this year, instead of Sims, with the other on the bench. Lawrie debuted last year and has had another taste of first grade recently. Sele played a lot of games last year, many off the bench. He was even selected for City. I think the likes of Lucky, Host, Lawrie and Sele all should be able to handle first grade. The concern is that they will all be expected to step up and perform without our origin forwards on Friday night. I am hoping that they can produce on Friday night. I will add that there are many on this forum who have big wraps on one or more of each of those players.
Hey Frank,
I know it was probably just a typo but the game is on Thursday night. Would hate you or anyone to miss it. Should be vey interesting!

SBD82

Coach
I agree with you about Robson. With Nightingale on the bench, it looks like we may be going in with 2 bench players who would probably come on and play lock, although both of them aren't even locks. That is why I would have gone with Ford as the 4th bench player instead of Robson, as Ford would be able to give Leilua a break and Host too if need be.
I wouldn't be surprised to see nighty come on at right wing, pushing Mann into center and aitken into edge forward while luc or host gets a break.

Crush

Coach
I think our chances tonight depend on Widdop. If he plays well we are in with a big shot, if he is in his shell we have no chance.
Which Gareth Widdop will turn up in Melbourne tonight?

MilanDragon

Juniors
I think our chances tonight depend on Widdop. If he plays well we are in with a big shot, if he is in his shell we have no chance.
Which Gareth Widdop will turn up in Melbourne tonight?

Smith will have the biggest influence on the game. Agree with yiu about Widdop for us, but Smiths influence is potentially greater

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Smith will have the biggest influence on the game. Agree with yiu about Widdop for us, but Smiths influence is potentially greater

By association, Smith is simply an extension of the referees.

Who is the main one in charge tonight? Is it Checchin? If so, can someone bring a siren loud enough so the poor darling can hear it properly?

I'd hate to have a 2012 repeat.

As indicated previously, I reckon "home ground advantage" will be the overriding factor here.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade

Since mid 2014, McGregor has been given the opportunity to prove whether he can coach.

How much more time does s bloke need?

Regarding Robson, I'm unsure if you are aware he played a significant portion of last week's ISP in the back row.

He went pretty well.

McInness usually peters out towards the end of matches, so it's long overdue to have someone who can share the burden of playing dummy half.

The forward battle tonight will decide the game.

Our backline is less disrupted provided Nicholls gels with Widdop and Dufty.

Our young forwards will be very keen to impress. If they defend well consistently (no mental lapses) for 80 minutes we win.

Really looking forward to this one.

I hope Mary has done his homework, now admittedly I haven’t watched too many Storm games this year, but looking at that backline I couldn’t tell you a single thing about them.

I saw Choc raise his head at Origin training this week.

I’m going to give him a call and see what he thinks of tonight’s game.
See if he recalls saying before the 2000 grand final replay in Melbourne that the Storm were not “worthy premiers”

We lost that game 70-10 and haven’t won in Melbourne since, 14 straight loses.

MilanDragon

Juniors
Raining here in Melbourne this morning. Overcast day ahead with potential rain for tonight.

A dry track would suit us better as we have our backline in place.

They’re missing their backs, we’re missing our pack. Normally a pack wins out, hopefully we can be that exception!

For some reason I’m not too worried about the game tonight, I think if we go in with no pressure we may just get the result!

Raining here in Melbourne this morning. Overcast day ahead with potential rain for tonight.

A dry track would suit us better as we have our backline in place.

They’re missing their backs, we’re missing our pack. Normally a pack wins out, hopefully we can be that exception!

For some reason I’m not too worried about the game tonight, I think if we go in with no pressure we may just get the result!
Raining?
In Melbourne?
Surely not?
Next you’ll be telling me it’s going to be cold?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Raining?
In Melbourne?
Surely not?
Next you’ll be telling me it’s going to be cold?

I was all ready to go before an annoying head cold stopped me in my tracks. When a friend recently advised that the weather was going to be "wet and windy", I thought I should look after my health first.

This is a shame because I haven't been to Melbourne in 40 something years.

Latest posts