What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 19 vs Parramatta

Abacus

Juniors
Yeah the gap was there. Whether or not Cartwright had time to not pass is my question. Play was right just not excuted right
I agree with you regarding the execution being poor. Line runners need to focus on hitting the hole and be able to rely on the ball player to hit the mark with the pass. I guess my point being that Griffin's view of the others letting Cartwright down is blinkered.
The sooner that we can get Cartwright executing properly, regardless of the position he's playing, the more effective we'll be in attack.

franklin2323

Immortal
I agree with you regarding the execution being poor. Line runners need to focus on hitting the hole and be able to rely on the ball player to hit the mark with the pass. I guess my point being that Griffin's view of the others letting Cartwright down is blinkered.
The sooner that we can get Cartwright executing properly, regardless of the position he's playing, the more effective we'll be in attack.

Even as a 2nd rower Cartwright will be ball playing. The Blake one was a hard pass share the blame. JFH was a pass a NRL player should take. Possibly he expected to be a decoy who knows

Fibroman

First Grade
I think Griffin has a good point. How often does Cartwright get his arm free, only to have no runner waiting for the offload? Blake and JFH both dropped balls when they should have caught them and were running at a gap spotted by Cartwright. Last week DZW stood on his wing watching like a statue as Cartwright run across field instead of coming inside him into the space he created. Our players are not running straight and hard and looking for that short ball Menzies to Lyons style. It's there, they just have to run hard for it.

Parramatta's first half was good because they had players running onto the ball hard and at gaps spotted by Gutherson. In the second half we start running straight and hard and lo and behold we started to get back on top. This was the single biggest factor in seeing us get back on top. Our hands let us down at times. Moylan also passed the ball to men in space who dropped it, although props to Parra for their defensive pressure.

Having said all that, Cartwright made a few mistakes. He also made 23 tackles for zero misses. One of those tackles including stopping Jennings as he started to build up speed in the clear (they scored anyway, but Cartwright made the effort).

Agree with martielang regarding Hardaker. The wingers were outstanding (I bagged DZW but he really put in in the second half, so I dips me lid). Our centres were coping. Who would you take off?

Mansour. Take a bow. You have stepped to a new level this season. Brilliant stuff.

I can see your point after hugging a few trees, but I can't cop your comment about our centres. Mate, you obviously never played the game if you think Willy Wonga Blake is up to first grade. I call a spade a spade.

Pomoz

Bench
I can see your point after hugging a few trees, but I can't cop your comment about our centres. Mate, you obviously never played the game if you think Willy Wonga Blake is up to first grade. I call a spade a spade.
I believe that is what is called "playing the man and not the ball", but I have played the game for the mighty Emu Plains and for UWS as it happens. I will confess, I was rubbish. I'm not sure where I said our centres are good though. I think I implied the opposite by mentioning the fact they dropped the firkin ball and fail to run at gaps.

Blake has a heap of potential. Strength, speed and to be fair, he doesn't go missing when it gets tough. Did you see him pick Beau Scott up and drag him over the touchline like he was a bag of sweets? Can he fulfil his potential? You obviously think not. I think he has been much better this year and deserves more time. 31 games in first grade is barely getting started.

chrisD

Coach
For some perspective, this season.

In 12 games in the back row Cartwright had 6 tries or try assists.

In 6 games TMM had 3 tries or try assists. And a game winning field goal.

In 12 games Soward had 6 tries or try assists.

In 5 games at 5/8 Cartwright has had 6 tries or try assists.

franklin2323

Immortal
For some perspective, this season.

In 12 games in the back row Cartwright had 6 tries or try assists.

In 6 games TMM had 3 tries or try assists. And a game winning field goal.

In 12 games Soward had 6 tries or try assists.

In 5 games at 5/8 Cartwright has had 6 tries or try assists.

shh people on here say Bryce isn't a 5/8th so that means he's not

mxlegend99

Referee
Reality thinks so. Results think so. What exactly is the argument against? What does he not do that a 5/8 is supposed to?
What does he do that a 5/8 is supposed to do?

Before this game he has tried overplaying his hand every week and been nowhere near as effective as he could be.
Results? You mean beating shit teams that are horribly out of form? Do you think those results change with him at second row and Moylan in the halves?

chrisD

Coach
What does he do that a 5/8 is supposed to do?

Before this game he has tried overplaying his hand every week and been nowhere near as effective as he could be.
Results? You mean beating shit teams that are horribly out of form? Do you think those results change with him at second row and Moylan in the halves?
What does he do that a 5/8 is supposed to do? How is that even a f**king question? He creates points. He holds the ball out in two hands and puts pressure on the defence. He draws multiple defenders and passes before the line. He wraps around the first receiver into the backline and picks the right pass or runs it. He measures the ball out the back to the wrapping fullback outside. He hits the lead runner. He creates space for outside runners. He gets in behind the line and offloads. And he forces drop outs.

If he was playing wide back row absolutely he wouldn't have been as effective. The stats prove that without doubt. It's the difference between a ball running and ball playing position. He has been more effective at 5/8 than he was when playing there, and he's been more effective than the other two 5/8s we've played this season.

If he played lock and Moylan 5/8 then no he wouldn't be any less effective, because the way both he and Moylan play in attack wouldn't change. We are playing two 5/8s with both playing either side of the ruck, predominantly with Moylan the wide runner and Cartwright playing at the line, and that wouldn't change if he ran out in 13 and Moylan the 6.

He is an attacking threat, with a game weighted towards ball playing rather than hole running or elusive running, hence 5/8 is his best position.

mxlegend99

Referee
He creates points no matter where he plays.but in the second row he doesn't butcher things as often. He's not a half.he's a highly skilled second rower.

For every good play he comes up with he has one that is terrible. Its not his fault though as he really shouldn't be expected to do so much.

Forcing drop outs last night was very easy with how shit Broncos played. Even Josh Mansour done so pretty much single handedly.

The best thing Cartwright did was not kicking it dead a bunch of times like he normally would and going back to playing more like a second rower running at the line and not 50 metres sideways into touch. 5/8 is nowhere near his best position. He tends to stop using his body to bust through the line and think he needs to create something with every play.

chrisD

Coach
Yeah you keep saying and thinking your dopey shit and reality will keep proving you wrong. Cartwright has been more dangerous at 5/8 than wide second row, that's simple reality. The best thing Bryce did last night was measure the balls out the back to Moylan, as is the job of a half.

Latest posts