What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 CANBERRA RAIDERS V MELBOURNE STORM

aussies1st

Staff member
nickraider said:
Didn't he leave Zillman out last week because he wanted more experience with Howell and then he goes and picks Picker :?

Pretty sure it was Zillman's injury, the article backs that up.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Looks ok to me injuries considered. I like the inclusion of Rothery, I still believe he has the potential to be a very good player, he's a big fella for starters. Coming into this season I was amped at the depth in our forwards and they're all fkn injured before round 2. Thompson, Weyman, TLL and Bickers.........I mean WTF?

twistedbydesign

Juniors
I think that even if Phil is fit, and let's pray that he is, Zillman is just as much a chance of playing as Picker. It would not surprise me if Zillman played and Chalk spent some time in the back row.

thickos

First Grade
True twisted, but normally the guy who's gonna miss out is in the 18 jersey. Picker has been named in 15, while it seems Zillman is purely there on standby for Graham - and if he's injured, bloody hell!!

At least we've got Melbourne early in the year. They were OK last week so they're not at full flight. Our backs have a massive job though :|

raidersforme

Juniors
Troy's comfortably numb Picker to make Raiders debut
Sam Worthington
space.gif

Canberra Raiders prop Troy Thompson should miss just one or two NRL matches after scans yesterday showed minor damage to his injured left shoulder. Thompson, 27, was forced from the field during Saturday's 32-6 loss to the Manly Sea Eagles and feared the numbing injury would mean another reconstruction after undergoing off-season surgery on the shoulder. However scans instead revealed nerve damage and the 91-game veteran is now expected to be available for the round-four match against the Parramatta Eels on April 7.
"It's very pleasing actually, it would have been a pain in the bum sitting on the sideline watching the boys play," Thompson said.
A member of the Raiders' leadership group, Thompson will today consult with club medical staff to further examine the injury.
"They just said that's why your shoulder feels weak and why you can't move it," he said. "It's all intact where I got reconstructed, which is a good sign. Hopefully it'll only be one or two weeks I'll be out for. I was quite surprised because the shoulder feels worse than what it did when I had the reconstruction."
Raiders coach Neil Henry yesterday named an 18-man squad to play the Melbourne Storm at Canberra Stadium on Saturday night.
NRL rookie Joe Picker and back rower Alan Rothery replace Thompson and Neville Costigan in the squad, the Raiders yesterday accepting a one-match ban for Costigan's dangerous throw on Manly hooker Michael Monaghan.
"It's unfortunate because there didn't seem to be too much in it but we can't argue with the fact that he did put Michael Monaghan in a dangerous position so we'll cop that for the week," Henry said.
Centre Phil Graham is battling a sternum injury and is in doubt to start the Melbourne match.
If Graham is ruled unfit, Henry will again shuffle his backline, replacing Marshall Chalk with William Zillman at fullback and moving Chalk into the centres.
The 46-year-old coach said the Raiders would follow the Wests Tigers' lead against Melbourne, who on Friday targeted converted five-eighth Greg Inglis.
"It's just about making him do a bit more work," he said. "Playing out in the centres or at fullback, he's not going to get the defence that he'll get playing where he is now."
"Most sides will be no different and he'll have to make his fair share of defence on Saturday night.
"If we can throw a few people at him it might take the edge off him in his attack."

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/de... league&story_id=567908&category=Rugby League

beacon.asp

Mal Meninga

Bench
Raider_69 said:
ive gotten the heads up from Munsie at sports tab

Head to head:
Melbourne - $0.85
Canberra - $12.80
GOLD!! :lol: :lol:

Rothery has real talent. Quick for his size, can step and make dents in the advantage line. If he can stay injury free(which has been impossible for him) or stop getting suspended(his other major problem) he'll be an asset to us.

jed

First Grade
Raiders have actually firmed from last weekend - this week we're $4.25 (Storm are $1.20) at Sportstab. Centrebet also has us coming in to $4.65 (Storm are $1.20 again)

Raider_69

Post Whore
jed said:
Raiders have actually firmed from last weekend - this week we're $4.25 (Storm are $1.20) at Sportstab. Centrebet also has us coming in to $4.65 (Storm are $1.20 again)

clearly firming is of up most priority at centrebet... pack of wankers imo

edabomb

First Grade
Big improvement on last weekend, which is all you can ask for really.

Dobson was much improved.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
I said what i thought in the nrl forum.

Forwards were excellent- although i think there needs to be another dummy half option.

Howell and Best didn't really know what to do with the ball when it was in there hands.

Zillman was a ghost out there. It was really bothering me when he was calling rap arounds... making his wingers return the balls from kicks.

Miller was great, as was dobson.

It was a good improvement, but i really dont hold much hope for the backs.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
overall we played about 100x better, we actually looked like a team this week.

If Lahrs comes back next week, our forward pack looks to be quite awesome.

Macko8

Juniors
I was really impressed by that.
If we play like that every week we will definetly be pushing for a top 8 spot no doubt.
Our defence was rock solid again, geee some of our forwards really gave it to the storm pack. Impressed by logan and tilse was aggressive and couldnt put a foot wrong this week which was good to finally see.
I thought carney and dobbo were great,but do need to do more work in the back end of the game and get more involved.
Theres a big problem with our wingers.purtell and best need to improve.
howell and graham were good tonight but will be looking to keep stepping up the ladder

And people have to know that we were without what 7 regular first-graders
Dunemann,Costigan,Learoyd-Lahrs,Bickerstaff,Weyman,Thurling,Goodwin
once we get these blokes back than we'll have a better perspective.

Bring on monday night footy against those novocastrian fairys.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Any word on Ben Jones? he was giving them a good rattle before he got injured.

Defence was the biggest issue, very soft, weren't wrapping the ball up and weren't marking up. All fixable. By time that's sorted out our attack will be refined and we'll be giving some teams an absolute shalacking.

Positive performance tonight.

Leethal

Juniors
Plenty of good signs tonight. We looked much better tonight. Had some bad reffing calls too, though, tbh, the better team won.