What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 vs. Canberra Discussion + Voting

Big Pete

Referee
I don't like to dwell on losses so moving forward do you think the Broncos should make any changes to the side?

Personally, I'd just like to see what Hannant and Hodges adds to the side and hope that the boys benefitted from the hit out on Friday.

Also if you haven't, don't forget to vote in the Round 1 thread, votes are important and we'd love to get every Broncos fans opinion on who were the best performers on the given night.

beads6

First Grade
only changes I would make are Hodges and Hannant to play if they are both fit. I reckon Hannant will play but Hodges will be put on ice.

Country Bronco

Juniors
Thanks Big Pete. I hate dwelling too. I would like to see Hodges in for Beale and Hannant in for Anderson. Here's my team for this game

1. Josh Hoffman
2. Dane Gagai
3. Jack Reed
4. Justin Hodges
5. Jharal Yow Yeh
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Peter Wallace
8. Ben Hannant
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Shane Tronc
11. Ben Te'o
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Corey Parker

14. Ben Hunt
15. Matt Gillett
16. Josh McGuire
17. Alex Glenn

beads6

First Grade
1. Hoffman
2. Yow Yeh
3. Reed
4. Beale
5. Gagai
6. Lockyer
7. Wallace
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. Tronc
11. Thaiday
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Te'o
15. McGuire
16. Anderson
17. Glenn

I am not prepared to risk Hodges yet, also don't see the point in having Hunt on the bench it just creates confusion out of dummy half. Glenn can cover hooker if Macca can't play the 80mins.

Mr Fourex

Bench
1. Hoffman
2. Yow Yeh
3. Reed
4. Beale/Hodges
5. Gagai
6. Lockyer
7. Wallace
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. Tronc
11. Thaiday
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Te'o
15. McGuire
16. Anderson
17. Glenn

I am not prepared to risk Hodges yet, also don't see the point in having Hunt on the bench it just creates confusion out of dummy half. Glenn can cover hooker if Macca can't play the 80mins.

If Hodges is ready .....he plays. I'm not one to save players for a rainy day. I'd keep Jack Reed and send Beale back

The McCullough Vs Hunt dilemma still weighs heavily. I want to give McCullough more game time and I don't think Hunt as an option at hooker is doing either player any justice. I like the bench you've got beads6 ......I'd leave Hunt out as well.

In saying all that......McCullough MUST improve to keep his spot. I'm a little unfamiliar with the Baptiste option for the no.9 spot.

Wallce .......at hooker and Hunt at half ?? Has Peter Wallace missed his calling as a no.9? His defence is solid enough. He can pass. Kicking out of dummy half is always a bonus .........

beads6

First Grade
If Hodges plays great but I don't think he will be risked given his history with injuries. Beale was solid enough against the Cowboys I think he can get the job done. Only one hooker is needed it kills us when we chop and change hookers.

lockyno1

Post Whore
1. Hoffman
2. Kemp
3. Yow Yeh
4. Hodges
5. Gagai
6. Lockyer
7. Hunt
8. Hannant
9. Any hooker except McCullough
10. Tronc
11. Thaiday
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Teo
15. McGuire
16. Glenn
17. Norman

renouf

Juniors
If Hodges plays great but I don't think he will be risked given his history with injuries. Beale was solid enough against the Cowboys I think he can get the job done. Only one hooker is needed it kills us when we chop and change hookers.

You can't wrap him in cottle wool forever, if hes fit enough to play, then get him out there.

1.Josh Hoffman
2.Dane Gagai
3.Jack Reed
4.Justin Hodges
5.Jharal Yow Yeh
6.Darren Lockyer
7.Peter Wallace
8.Ben Hannant
9.Andrew McCullough
10.Scott Anderson
11.Ben Te'o
12.Matt Gillett
13.Corey Parker
14.Ben Hunt
15.Shane Tronc
16.Josh McGuire
17.Alex Glenn

Hench

Juniors
0 - 2 here we come

INJURED stars Ben Hannant and Justin Hodges are set to remain on ice for at least another week as the Broncos hunt their first win of 2011 in Canberra this Friday night.
After self-destructing in last weekend's 16-14 derby loss to the Cowboys at Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane face a tougher Round 2 task, against the Raiders at Canberra Stadium. The "Green Machine", boasting one of the NRL's most intimidating forward packs, thrashed Cronulla 40-12 yesterday without stars Matt Orford and Josh Dugan, who are both in the frame to play the Broncos.

But Brisbane coach Anthony Griffin is likely to resist the urge to rush back Brisbane's star absentees, Hannant and Hodges, while underdone star Sam Thaiday may again start from the bench as he builds match fitness after a stalled offseason.

"Hodgo has come along pretty well but he's still maybe a bit behind where he'd need to be to play this week," Griffin said. "Benny's running but he's not doing the level of training or amount of training at the moment that would give you any reason to think he's going to get through a game. He hasn't trained with the group for a while."

Griffin said the strategy to inject Test star Thaiday from the interchange bench, with Shane Tronc a late inclusion in the starting side against the Cowboys, would be temporary.

"Obviously Sam's a starter and we want him, when he's right, to start," Griffin said

Last edited:

Hench

Juniors
1.Josh Hoffman
2.Dane Gagai
3.Jack Reed
4.Justin Hodges
5.Jharal Yow Yeh
6.Darren Lockyer
7.Peter Wallace
8.Ben Hannant
9.Andrew McCullough
10.Scott Anderson
11.Ben Te'o
12.Matt Gillett
13.Corey Parker
14.Ben Hunt
15.Shane Tronc
16.Josh McGuire
17.Alex Glenn

Drop Thaiday?

MightyBronco

Juniors
We're gunna get flogged. The usual suspects will play brave, but with a non firing hooker, halfback, fullback combo - the Broncs are going to remain ordinary.

Throw in the fact the Raiders are obviously on the up, with a gun forward pack, and a great record against Brisbane, esp at home...not looking promising. I should have a flutter.

Hench

Juniors
We're gunna get flogged. The usual suspects will play brave, but with a non firing hooker, halfback, fullback combo - the Broncs are going to remain ordinary.

Throw in the fact the Raiders are obviously on the up, with a gun forward pack, and a great record against Brisbane, esp at home...not looking promising. I should have a flutter.

We didn't do that bad against them in Round 2 last year.

And in the return game without Locky at Suncorp we were hardly flogged. I wish Dugan missed this game then last week.

Mr Saab

Referee
Only thing saving Brisbane is the 5 day turnaound for the Raiders....apart from that, we are screwed

user_nat

Coach
Same reason Teo was at stages last year. We have ample back rowers and not enough props.

Thaiday played pretty bad on Friday, so hopefully that will be the end of it.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
Even thought Thaiday was pretty bad I'm still keen to give him a few more opportunities. Don't forget he hasn't played any trials so is expected to be a bit rusty. Also it will be interesting to see if he can step up with someone like Hannant partnering him.

beads6

First Grade
I reckon we will knock the Raiders off if we follow our game plan and McCullough plays like we know he can.

Latest posts