What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 vs. Canberra Discussion + Voting

beads6

First Grade
I think we should be giving more credit to
Ferguson for developing a fine jump and catch. Inevitably Ferguson will score a lot of tries from kicks this year and you didn't hear that here for the first time.

He looked brilliant in Friday night, could very well play Origin this year.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
I was ridiculed on another forum for having a small go on him at the start of the season for leading tryscorer @ $51. Silly odds I thought.

AuDragon

Juniors
If you can't catch under pressure, you shouldn't be in the NRL. They're also a new combo and neither are big talkers, Reed is so you'd expect there to be more issues on the Gagai side. I said that before Round 1.

Trying to protect the winger can be a fruitless exercise anyway. If the winger drops it, then the centre isn't in position to clean the loose ball up.
I agree with you, but you gotta look at the circumstances:
Rookie winger facing one of the best (if not the best) NRL players under the high ball.
Now, no doubt that Gagai made a meal of it, but Beale was nowhere to be seen in his support, on the contrary. And he wasn't there either to cleanup after Gagai.

I think you are a dickhead end of story.
Gotta love these heros. Can't articulate an opinion, so they resort to insults while well hidden behing their keyboard... :roll:

Big Pete

Referee
Beale did position himself to impede Ferguson's line, I really can't fault Beale there at all, Ferguson was just THAT good.

Seagulls - Fair point, but it's hardly something only Yow Yeh is guilty of, most wingers would have been positoned where he was and he did very well to initially take it.

AuDragon

Juniors
Beale did position himself to impede Ferguson's line, I really can't fault Beale there at all, Ferguson was just THAT good.

Seagulls - Fair point, but it's hardly something only Yow Yeh is guilty of, most wingers would have been positoned where he was and he did very well to initially take it.
Without a doubt Ferguson was that good, which is why I'm arguing that Gagai should be given a break.

On the Beale matter, let's agree to disagree. In my opinion he has shown nothing at all, bar good ball security on his dummy runs.
I haven't seen even a hint of a threat in attack from him and his defensive reads aren't up to par either. I expect much more from a centre, and Reed is way ahead of him in the pecking order IMO.

Big Pete

Referee
I haven't seen even a hint of a threat in attack from him and his defensive reads aren't up to par either.

I don't think I've ever supported Beale, it was just in that instance I thought the onus was entirely on Gagai, Beale did all you could expect a centre to do in that situation, especially a rookie centre.

I'm unsure what to make of Beale at this stage, I think he's a relatively good dummy half runner with good hands but nothing about his game blows me away. If given the choice, I'd choose Reed before him. Heck, I'd probably choose Copley too and I don't think Copley should be in the top side yet either (still too skinny for my liking).

beads6

First Grade
Without a doubt Ferguson was that good, which is why I'm arguing that Gagai should be given a break.

On the Beale matter, let's agree to disagree. In my opinion he has shown nothing at all, bar good ball security on his dummy runs.
I haven't seen even a hint of a threat in attack from him and his defensive reads aren't up to par either. I expect much more from a centre, and Reed is way ahead of him in the pecking order IMO.

Gagai should be given a break but Beale doesn't need to be blamed like you have done.. Biased I think so. But no no no you are not biased :crazy:

Country Bronco

Juniors
I remember when our lefthand side defence was a leaky sieve with michaels and winterstein so you can't compare gagai and beale to this combination. You doomsayers live week to week. Thankfully the broncos coaching staff don't make opinons/selections based on the same principles(bias, prejudices and over-competitiveness) as you or we would be a woodenspoon team. I fear not another loss but for hating losing but to hear your dribble about who was at fault, who should get cut and its the end of the world. Start looking at more positives in life and it might improve your sad existence. Like ,we did win on friday night our first for the year. Congratulations to the team, coach and all of those involved with this success.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Good news for Hook is he wont need to make a decision on whether to "drop" Gagai as he is injured.

I am a big fan of Gagai, he does look dangerous with the ball in hand. But one of the fundamental skills of a winger is to be relatively safe under the high ball (your opposition number will out jump you time to time). Gagai is not alone with his struggles, last season Winterstein struggled and Yow Yeh doesn't exactly look comfortable. It even filters through to the QLD cup. The Norths wingers couldn't catch a cold yesterday (at least it was quite wet though).

If it was up to me, I would drop Gagai at least for a while and work him hard at training under the high ball, but still with every intention of bringing him back at some stage. If he continued to play every team would target him and could absolutely ruin the kid for life.

Latest posts