What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 vs. Canberra Discussion + Voting

Snappy

Coach
yeh baby! Great defensive game tonight. Some desperate line defence showed some real team spirit. We didnt play near our best but still got the points which is very promising.

McGuire played very well and got rewards with ch9 man of match.

Nice pass from Wal for the Gillett try, but was still lacking a bit in last tackle options. I thought Copley played much better than Cagai when he came on. Macca also had a much better game than last week. Reed was solid again, and that late pass for the Yow Yeh try was a ripper.

Country Bronco

Juniors
Although I had much hype earllier in the night. This game fizzed and fumbled to a grinding halt. Still to win and win ugly when everyone is betting against you shows outstanding attributes and courage. I felt at halftime, canberra should of been in front by 12 to 14 points given they made the most of their chances but whether through luck or their poor play we were two in front. It was a better second half display although not great but at least we built pressure and choose our moments for the big plays. This proved the difference as canberra played poorly. Not totally pleased by this one but a win is a win. Uno, duece, tre.

1 point. Jack Reed. Deserves a vote through two solid displays and I think a handy addition to the team.
2 points. Jharal Yow Yeh. This year, he's taken on the gamebreaker role and tonight pulled off a spectactular try.
3 points. Josh McGuire. Outplayed Australia's front row pair.

user_nat

Coach
Great to have points on the board.

+Our defense won that game.

-Our attack was still bad. Few moments of greatness, but 90% bad.
-Learn to catch a ball Yow Yeh and particularly Gagai. If not.. go away.
-General play ball handling also needs to improve.

Drop the errors and we can probably beat anyone.

AuDragon

Juniors
Display worthy of Jekyll & Hill tonight. Yow Yeh personified this perfectly!

We need to play the whole game as well as we did the last half hour, where we dominated and controlled at will.

Very good performance by our forwards who made the "Best pack in the comp" look ordinary.

Too bad the backs were not on par, and sometimes even pretty ordinary. Ferguson was a massive threat until Beale finally started protecting his winger. It was so bad, Beale was the one that actually nudge Gagai just enough to make him lose the ball that Ferguson caught for the Raiders try.
Yow Yeh and Hoffman were also pitiful under the high ball, but everything got much better in the second half.

Locky had a bit of a shocker and Wallace was solid without being good. He put Gillett through with a very good movement, but he's still away from his best, especially his short kicking game needs to go up massively.

Macca has to get the 80 mins, so that he only needs to worry about his job, and not try to outperform his shadow Hunt, who had another bad game. Probably time for Qcup, where he should play in his natural position, halfback.

3- Gillett
2- Yow Yeh
1- Parker, Glenn, Thaiday, McGuire, Tronc

Mr Fourex

Bench
3. Thaiday
2. McGuire
1. Gillet/Yow Yea

Defence was our best attribute last night. Defence will win you games so lets keep it up boys.

Gay guy had a shocker........Hoffman needs to get more involved in attack. Locky below average and Wallace his standard, average game (it was a nice pass to Gillet)

Thaiday for mine was the pick of the forwards. McGuire outstanding as well. I thought McCullough lifted his game this week. Still a ways to go, but an improvement none the less.

The Raiders were sh*t ......... IMHO, I think one of the most over rated teams in the comp.

A wins a win. Good for the coach to break his cherry........positive signs.
PDT_002.gif

lockyno1

Post Whore
Please tell me Kemp is not better than Gagai, please. He will let in 5 tries against a side than can actually kick. The other one was just as bad (Yow Yea), but has a few more runs on the board.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
3. Parker - simply outstanding, made heaps of metres, was offloading and actually making them stick, and tackled his arse off. Kicked well too, which is important considering last week.
2. Hoffman - looks back to his damaging best after a shaky start last week. Just needs to get his passing game squared away with Lockyer.
1. Gillett - also looked a little dusty last week, but he was breaking tackles like nobody's business last night.

Honourable mention must go to Yow Yeh for the chip chase and his support play.

Big Pete

Referee
3. Sam Thaiday - Came on and swung the game for the Broncos.
2. Corey Parker - Got through a mountain of work, no mistakes this time.
1. Josh McGuire - Another good performance from the Big Show.

Credit to Macca, Yow Yeh and Glenn too.

Gillett had a few nice touches, but still too many flat footed raids, I think he should start from the bench.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Really good defence! Both on-line defence and rushing up together in a line, which we usually don't do.

Canberra had one of their shockers, but the Broncs still have heaps of room for improvement.

High balls, well... Gotta feel for Gagai a bit. But at least it didn't cost us the game, he could have more mental scars if it did. What do do here? If Kemp has a good QLD cup game then is he back in? Copley went ok there.

3. Glenn (I reckon one of his best ever games for the Broncos)
2. Hoffman (I watched the game back again and he got more involved then I thought)
1. Gillette (looked pretty dangerous)

Thaiday and McCullough much improved.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
You miss his "efforts" under the bombs did you?:lol:

I think BP was referring to the try. Hate to say it but it kinda won us the game. Good to see the dropped balls didn't get to his confidence either, most guys wouldn't have even tried that after a few errors.

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
Thats Yow Yeh though, you get the great and the ordinary with not that much in between the two. His consistency is the problem no doubt his is talented enough.

Big Pete

Referee
Pretty sure Jharal only dropped one ball tonight and it was off a very well placed Orford kick. To his credit, Yow Yeh forced the goal line drop out.

beads6

First Grade
Pretty sure Jharal only dropped one ball tonight and it was off a very well placed Orford kick. To his credit, Yow Yeh forced the goal line drop out.

TBH when Yow Yeh dropped that ball it was hopeless but other then that is was a superb game from him IMO.

beads6

First Grade
All I want is the 2 points at this stage of the season and to see improvements in defense and players. We got that last night so it was all about #WINNING

AuDragon

Juniors
Give Gagai a break. Asking for his head at this stage is a stupid thing to do.

Yes he was poor under the high ball, but if you're gonna have a rookie winger face Ferguson, make sure he is protected. Beale was nowhere to be seen until Gagai's confidence was shot to pieces, and even helped with the Raiders try, as it's Beale who nudges Gagai just enough for him to miss the ball.
The Raiders backs (except Ferguson) weren't much better either.

Last week Gagai caught everything thrown at him, as did Yow Yeh and Hoffman.

And FFS, if you're going to ask for Kemp to come back, don't do because of his ability under the high ball! :sarcasm:

Latest posts