What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 vs Penrith

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
Give Amone a rest next week let him chill in Reserve grade,get his confidence back. Mbey to 6. Bud to 14.
Who plays 9 then? I think Bud to 14 and M'bye 9. It would be foolish putting Hunt to 9 this early. Give the team some time, they have plenty of heart and if things aren't working in a month maybe look at the combinations.

Honestly though it would be so hard getting your combinations right in a game like that, absolutely zero fluency when it came to the officiating. Given we made it hard on ourselves pushing the pass, but I have alot of faith in this team.

thebigredv

First Grade
Behind closed doors is where you do it.
Hook will never create a song and dance to the awaiting vultures from Ch9 and SMH media (Gus lovers)
But if you listen Hook had a sly dig at Sullivan in the end saying if you lie down for a minute with concussion the rules are you go Category 2 or whatever it is and cant come back on. Everyone knew he was not concussed but did lie down. I am confused he said.
That is as close as you get from Hook publicly.

You might be right regarding his style but if it is still happening to us a year on than clearly he has no effect over the matter.
Maybe cop a personal fine and send a clearer message? I think that's what coaches that feel they could win the comp do.

Adolf_Spritzer

Juniors
A couple points:

Our coach and captain condoned the way Sua was sent from the field and vindicated the ref so if anyone's looking for Sutton to get a holiday, sorry to burst your bubble. If you ask me Ben and and Anthony need to go revisit the footage. Thought it was a bit PC on their part but AG did point out that O'Sullivan shouldn't have been able to return if it was as bad as he made out. Maybe his subtle way of saying cheats can't have both ways.

I think we looked better in general play last night than we did in round one and somehow no biscuits. We could have made the eight last year if we were more match aware and disciplined. The same goes last night.

Forcing passes. Why panic?

When the nitpicking ref has shown his hand you have to adjust. Strips on the ball, late hits, ruck infringements...all very dumb and costly.

Dropped ball. Finally Kerr learns how to hang on to the pill and then Lomax, Lawrie, Amone and Rava say 'hold my beer'.

This team of players looks like it could be a good one but what has the coach done to address this issue that plagued us all last season? How do you become more composed and match aware as a team? We needed to work it out a long time ago. I'm a bit demoralised that it looks set to characterise us again.
How much leniency does Ricky get when he goes off, don't give them anything I say as it takes the onus away from us. Ultimately we were responsible, none of that other stuff helps but that's footy. Take it on the chin and move on, and we'll be better for it

BLM01

First Grade
Still scratching my head why this club allowed McInness to leave when I see his replacement by comparison.

No..he wanted to leave. Big money to play 13. We cant tie him in chains. McInnes has a great worth ethic and will back up Brailey if injured.
He does not create that much especially what 13's as link men do today. The club were wise not to overpay for a trojan. He is a superior 9 to McCulloch but at what cost to the budget.

BLM01

First Grade
Give Amone a rest next week let him chill in Reserve grade,get his confidence back. Mbey to 6. Bud to 14.
Rubbish. No need to drop him. It has been 2 rounds.
he has been quiet, well marked etc
If we stop making errors etc, penalties etc may help
Our whole attack including Hunt, Sloane is clunky ATM etc.
Lets build into a season for the 1st time in 10 years. I like what I am seeing thus far from the forwards in intensity and across the park mainly in defence. Lets be patient around the attack.

blacksafake

First Grade
Real gutsy effort last night, proud of the team & as others have mentioned in previous years we get lapped, especially by a team such as Penrith.

I know it’s a tough gig but these refs are the worst in the last decade. Sutton junior ALWAYS looks like a deer in headlights who’s about to breakout in tears & continuously stuffs up games yet he always gets one of the better games?

Last week McCullough was penalised for having his arm around the neck of a warriors player yet Kikau puts players in headlocks & it’s play on. Even last night Bird penalised for a “slap” to the neck WTF.

Martin at one stage in the first half led with his head & shoulder with no arms & contacted Bird flush on the nose which probably broke it, Play on?
If that was Rava, Moose,Su’a or Fui I know what would happen.

Apologies for the rant, will now go take my blood pressure tablets lol.

BBTB

Juniors
Rubbish. No need to drop him. It has been 2 rounds.
he has been quiet, well marked etc
If we stop making errors etc, penalties etc may help
Our whole attack including Hunt, Sloane is clunky ATM etc.
Lets build into a season for the 1st time in 10 years. I like what I am seeing thus far from the forwards in intensity and across the park mainly in defence. Lets be patient around the attack.
Rubbish,give the kid a rest.
The definition of stupidity
Don't change anything
And expect a different result.

blacksafake

First Grade
Behind closed doors is where you do it.
Hook will never create a song and dance to the awaiting vultures from Ch9 and SMH media (Gus lovers)
But if you listen Hook had a sly dig at Sullivan in the end saying if you lie down for a minute with concussion the rules are you go Category 2 or whatever it is and cant come back on. Everyone knew he was not concussed but did lie down. I am confused he said.
That is as close as you get from Hook publicly.
Agree
I’ve no doubt he’ll be talking to Annesley Monday morning voicing his concerns.

BLM01

First Grade
Real gutsy effort last night, proud of the team & as others have mentioned in previous years we get lapped, especially by a team such as Penrith.

I know it’s a tough gig but these refs are the worst in the last decade. Sutton junior ALWAYS looks like a deer in headlights who’s about to breakout in tears & continuously stuffs up games yet he always gets one of the better games?

Last week McCullough was penalised for having his arm around the neck of a warriors player yet Kikau puts players in headlocks & it’s play on. Even last night Bird penalised for a “slap” to the neck WTF.

Martin at one stage in the first half led with his head & shoulder with no arms & contacted Bird flush on the nose which probably broke it, Play on?

No...good rant. I will continue.
Bird was penalised for sliding is hand around someones neck, not even a hit
Burgess was penalised because Luai overreacted like he was shot to a flick to the face accidently.
We got a run of penalties towards the back end as we were chasing an exciting finish...surprise surprise.
Good luck to Penrith, they are the premiers and the media's favourites ATM including on field refs video refs who listen to media and over scrutinising the opposition.
It goes with the territory (as Holbrook eluded to but the tide will turn)
Just waiting for the Dragons to catch the wave

Dragonslayer

First Grade
A couple of observations:

Sutton is not a first grade standard ref and mixing him with Noyen as the video ref was a recipe for mind-boggling decisions.

Penrith scored 3 try's. The first a fortuitous charge down. The next 2 were while we had a key defender sent to the bin on a dubious call. They didn't score any points other than that.
We had 2 players sin-binned, our defensive hooker wirh a dislocated elbow and a couple of HIA's. Yes, To'o was also injured for the Panthers, but hardly a key defender. And speaking of HIA, their half back staying down for that oeriod of time would equal a Cat A result ie: cannot return ti the game, but low and behold there he was, backbon again.

There's a lot to like about where we are as a team, yes plenty of improvement needed also, but the framework is there. It's a 25 round competition, losing a game against the defeneing premiers in such circumstances, shows me we are a team on the move and some clubs will start looking over tgeir shoulders.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Not about to quit on young Amone just yet....sure he needs some work thats understandable given his age and lack of 1st grade experience but with the amount of times we gave up possession through poor handling, two stints with 12 players, Panthers continually offside holding down and abysmal refereeing it was difficult to get any fluency and shape to our attack....and tbh Hunt imo is partly to blame , he continues to crab sideways in possession and at times runs to his teammates and just hands them the ball ...along with Norman they were both guilty of this...now Coreys gone its something Ben needs to eliminate from his game ....if Amone is to flourish and grow in his 5/8 role he needs good early ball from swift crisp passes to allow him to be more confident and creative..... we beat the Warriors and took the reigning premiers to within a converted try ....imo both these teams had far and away the rub of the green from the refs therefore the last thing we need to be doing is going into change mode......in ending if we had won yesterday we would be doing somersaults not backflips

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade

No need for a BP tablet bud as your spot on with your comments....if you want you can tear up the toilet paper......on second thoughts thats a precious commodity these days.....Mmm to early for a drink.....ok head for the medicine cabinet......

Dragons4me

Juniors
agree re hunt and hook in the presser - missed a great opportunity to put some well founded pressure on abysmal one sided refereeing. I get the "no excuses - we gotta be better" but you also have to stand up for yourself and be honest or we'll continue to get rag-dolled by suspensions and spurious sin bins

Yeah we now seem to have a team that's starting to play with passion and aggression and a number of ref calls were against us infairly (especially where Lomax picked up the dropped ball and scored) Ref should have played on and have some luck (Kerr's double movement try) but both called back. To have to simply watch limp meek excuse post match interviews like last night was annoying. Hunt in particular doesn't seem to have a killer instinct in him. Show us some passion fellas. And for gods sake, can someone tell Fox post match interviewers that we can't hear the questions they ask the coaches. Very amateurish for a supposed professional media unit. Last night's interview sounded like Mabel the cleaner was vaccuming while the interview was on. 😳😳😳

Latest posts