What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 vs. Storm

ashton

Juniors
Did anyone else notice the new storm tackling technique. Where 3 players lift the penrith player in the air and then spin him around 180 degrees to slow the play the ball down?

franklin2323

Immortal
Not just speed but his acceleration gets him into position quicker so he gets a better angle to make the tackle. Pretty much anyone close to the line with speed scores. Moylan is no doubt NRL quality but whether it's halves or fullback is the question.

franklin2323

Immortal
If he's on the line needing to make a one on one tackle. Big guys will run at him & drag him over the line or knock him off as happened twice yesterday or smaller guys will burn him for pace. So too small or too slow take your pick

cain3y

Juniors
Seems as though the nrl thinks we lost that game by 3points as Melbourne's for and against is +4 and Penrith's is +19

franklin2323

Immortal
Look at the 1st 2 tries they scored. Proctor Whare had the legs Moylan fell off high. Fonua Moylan was squated off like a fly. It's not the 1st time & won't be the last. Give him 5-10kg he makes them. Hopefully we work on his tackling positioning as the season goes on.

MaxPower

Juniors
So he has poor defence, that has nothing to do with his size. He is 1kg lighter than Docker, is Docker too small?

I've seen Walsh fend off Hindmarsh, I guess Hindmarsh must have been too small.

Last edited:

Doomednow

Bench
Finally found time to watch the game.

A great, gutsy effort from the team. Some pretty f**king average refereeing all round and a couple of howlers that in the end just barely kept us from taking the game. The team looks entirely new - much more resolve and some real opportunities for a lot of tries in there.

Moylan not a great defender but that's not really his job. I want to say he got a great pair of hands but he had a shitty go with that bomb. I can forgive one. I think he's really got great vision. He saved that 40 20 last week and managed to throw Slater off this week.

Naiqama was fine but that Storm edge defense had him locked up most of the night. Should be a few points in Idris drawing in some wingers before giving it to him (assuming he gets a few games there).

Docker is an animal. Love that dude. Mansour continues to impress, despite Melbourne being all over him.

Seriously, great game. Melbourne should realise how lucky they were. I am f**king pumped for the rest of this season.

Randy81

Juniors
IMO Moylan is very harshly judged on here. His vision and sleight of hand is critical in our back line movements and generally provides a touch of class. Mansours 2nd try last week was a perfect example, not many players could execute it that well.
I wouldn't say he is slow, takes off well especially from Quick taps and looks good in support too.

Dwz looks a good prospect but I think he is still a way off at fb. I suggest moss would be closer than Dwz but just gets injured way too much.

Randy81

Juniors
Docker is an animal. Love that dude.
This.

He is exceptional to watch in defence. Love watching him and plum go to work and put shots on. I cannot say over the years I have particularly enjoyed watching panthers defend.....but I do now.

Tbh I think the banning of the shoulder charge is the best thing to happen to the careers of docker and plum. Plum has always been recognised as a big hitter, however others such as Sandow, burns, sbw, Pritchard etc could get as much impact with shoulder charges. Now they are without doubt the biggest legal hitters and are appreciated more.....rewarding good techniques, which can only be a good thing.

franklin2323

Immortal
Hindmarsh was probably shocked he actually ran the ball...

Could be techique who knows bottom line is it's Moylan's 2nd year 1st as a FT player. ATM he falls off tackles he shouldn't hopefully in 10 weeks he's not.

Given there's only 1 kg difference would you play Moylan in the forwards?

Docker doesn't make many one on one tackles as Moylan does. Moylan won't either if he's in the halves with DWZ back there over the next few years.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah no one else is ready for the 1 yet & so far even with him missing a few tackles on the line.

He's playmaking when he gets involved is invaluable. Probably train him over next offseason as a half although ideally he will get better at defence over the season.

The positive is he's reading the play well enough to be in a position to stop the attacker just not putting them down.

MaxPower

Juniors
You have to remember, the kid has only played 15 first grade games. No player comes into the NRL an excels in every aspect of rugby league.

Latest posts