What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 2 vs. Storm

The momentum we would have had with Grant and Manu would have made all the difference. Attack didn't start well but that was cos our forward momentum was weak and compounded by the refs letting them lay all over us. Refs won't let that go for other teams and Grant and Manu will be harder to put down. Whare was poor defensively but we were still short on numbers on two of the tries, woefully so, and the right hasn't been tested. Edge defence still a concern. Segs, Moylan and Peachey great, and we would of won if not for that make believe forward pass call.

Didn't particularly miss Soward.

We missed soward from his natural kicking side at the end though.

soc123_au

Staff member
I actually thought we did miss Soward. A lot of what ifs, but Soward at his best & Mansour scores one or two in the first half. In saying that John did nothing wrong.

Panther Pete

Juniors
@ Pete, I thought Moylan looked pretty good. Brown I agree with, he tries too hard I think.

Yeah, maybe I am being a bit tough on Moylan but they just bounced off him to score a couple of their tries and then the dropped bomb didn't help. On a brighter note, Peachey looks to be a clone of Segs, very impressive and Naquaima getting a couple could be a good sign of things to come.

chrisD

Coach
Naquaima saved his best game for his penrith first grade debut, not that he was great or anything.

MrAnonymous

Bench
im a fan of Brown but he needs a stint in NSW cup. His performance in the 9s and the first 2 rounds have been f**ked, f**k him off.

Blues Riff

Bench
Our credibility is intact, and our for/against.
Despite the loss, I think this game actually boosted our claim as contenders.
Next round will be massive, can't wait.

soc123_au

Staff member
Brown just needs to wind things back a notch. He does plenty of good things, he just needs to cut down the stupid stuff. He is a long way from a lost cause.

maple_69

Bench
Really happy with the performance. We looked a little lost in the first 20 in attack (understandable given our 5/8 pulled out late) but after that showed some great ball movement with depth and decoy runners. This has me confident we're going to be hard to keep out. Give those outside backs ball in space and we are in business. Defence was great outside of a few poor reads on Whare's side.
Idris looked the goods as did Peachey. Segs back to his brilliant best. We were a different tewm with him on the park. Brown and Moylan average but not aweful.

franklin2323

Immortal
Another good team performance. A few errors at a bad time hurt.

Those saying we didn't miss Soward :lol:
Our kicking game was our worse feature tonight. Pretty much every kick went to Slater I can't remember them coming out of their corners too many times.

Even the charged down FG. Soward stands 10m back making a charge down difficult.

As for dropping guys watch how woeful our lower grades are no one's coming in on form. Injuries are about it.

Things like: we score get it to 8-6. Wallace early kick straight to Slater compounds it by a penalty. Next set they score. 17all let the kick go in to touch etc. Still can't fault the performance.

cain3y

Juniors
Great game of footy today, really proud of the way the boys played, very unlucky not to win that game in the end. Bring on the bulldogs.

mxlegend99

Referee
Another good team performance. A few errors at a bad time hurt.

Those saying we didn't miss Soward :lol:
Our kicking game was our worse feature tonight. Pretty much every kick went to Slater I can't remember them coming out of their corners too many times.

Even the charged down FG. Soward stands 10m back making a charge down difficult.

As for dropping guys watch how woeful our lower grades are no one's coming in on form. Injuries are about it.

Things like: we score get it to 8-6. Wallace early kick straight to Slater compounds it by a penalty. Next set they score. 17all let the kick go in to touch etc. Still can't fault the performance.
We most definitely missed Soward. He is the guy we needed to keep the ball away from Slater, and when Slater was in the bin he's the bloke who could have punished the Storm with his smart kicks and probably seeing opportunity for another 40/20. John did next to nothing for us.

My ratins of our 1-7 last night:

Moylan - 7/10 - He setup 2 of our tries and comes into the backline plays as the most dangerous attacking player in the opposition 20. He has a good long pass on him and the defence never know whether to rush in on him or drift out to defend the pass. Should have had 3 try assists.

Mansour - 7/10 - Another try means he has probably already equaled last years tally. Having Whare at centre and Moylan in backline movements creates so much space for him. Just a shame he isn't quicker or he has another try atleast IMO. But his work in relieving our forwards and creating second phase play makes him one of our more valuable players IMO.

Whare - 5/10 - Didn't seem as good in attack or defence as usual. Not sure if that was because Moylan just kept cutting him out in going to Mansour, or if he was just having an off day or what. He wasn't bad as such, he just wasn't his usual classy self.

Idris - 7/10 - Pretty good involvement for his first game back. He seemed a handful when he ran the ball and best of all the defence marked up on him in numbers and his winger was pretty much left unmarked. It's great to finally have a centre pairing that means we can attack either side of the field.

Naiqama - 6/10 - Saved his first decent game for his first grade debut for us. I thought he could have been better still... his kick on the last that went dead and his being tackled in goal moments later were pretty much what swung momentum to the Storm. Not sure if Simmons would have made either decision the same way. But after that he was much stronger, he positioned himself well and didn't make any errors. Scoring a couple of easy tries and should have had a hat trick. His speed and strength should allow him to finish off a few tries that Simmons couldn't. So I hope he can build on this performance and prove himself worthy of staying in first grade.

John - 4/10 - Did pretty much nothing in attack. Ran the ball once for 7m gained, kicked the ball once for 13m gained. Moylan did the job that John should have been doing

Wallace - 6/10 - Could have been an 8/10 if he was slightly stronger in goal kicking. He could have been the match winner, but none of his kicks were easy. He slotted a nice field goal that SHOULD have sent us into golden point. So he did reasonable under pressure there. His effectiveness just isn't the same when Soward isn't there. Still looked good for us and nowhere near the useless nuffy that people claimed he was when we signed him. I think our plans for Soward/Wallace as a halves combination will be very effective. Especially with Moylan adding another dimension to our attack. It's a structure that worked well with Soward at the Dragons... so hopefully we can get it working well for us.

I'll only bother rating Lewis Brown from the forwards... 3/10. Only for his defence. His attack gets a zero and would probably be a minus if we're being fair dinkum. He added nothing to our attack and actually set us back with his errors. His 36 tackles are a pretty big mountain of work, but with Docker and Taylor in our second row that's not what we need him to be doing. Especially when he's good for a couple of penalties.

franklin2323

Immortal
you need to take some off moylan then as well .2 very poor attempts at tackle near the try line and a droped bomb

Yeah of course both would be a 6. Moylan atleast had them at speed & is just too small for a FB. Mansour is one of the bigger stronger wingers. To just put a finger on a winger is terrible. Thankfully we switched on in the 2nd half

Latest posts