1. Out Now:

Here it is - the latest edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine with a full wrap on last weekend's NRL & NRLW along with the match programme for the coming weekend of action in the NRL Finals, NRLW, Challenge Cup, Super League, NZRL and the Toulouges Nines!

In this week's edition Paul Jobber goes one-on-one with retired NRL match official Gavin Badger, Rick Edgerton looks at some of the legendary halves pairings as Penrith pair Nathan Cleary & Jarome Luai ascend to potential greatness, and we look at a world of rugby league this coming weekend with Steve Mascord.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - a full NRL Finals Week 3, NRLW Round 3, Challenge Cup Final, Super League Round 16, NZRL Premiership and Toulouges Nines programme - and you have one fantastic 36-page magazine for your weekend's reading!

EDITION 21 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Round 20 Vs Bulldogs.

Discussion in 'Penrith Panthers' started by WestyLife, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Westernised Panther

Westernised Panther Juniors

We
    and maybe either Luai or Cleary, just so Burton can have a play

2. Kilkenny

Kilkenny First Grade

At the end of the day the Panthers coach I am confident know exactly how many players need a rest , if any.

3. WestyLife

WestyLife Juniors

There is no risk in resting players for this last game which means nothing anyway.

4. Kilkenny

Kilkenny First Grade

would you want our best players potentially only playing one game in four weeks going into a Grand Final playoff game if we win our 1 v 4 game. That is a huge risk. Key players being underdone.

The yak and BxTom like this.
  5. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

No chance they are underdone. Played 16 weeks straight.

More risk they get injuried. Also I have zero faith guys like Burton or Whare can do a job in a final with very limited game time. The guys that will be in the gametime 21 all need to be ready to go

Black Magik and WestyLife like this.
  6. Kilkenny

Kilkenny First Grade

1 game potentially in four weeks is not the sort or preparation you want going into a Grand Final play off game. Not a coach in the game who would follow that strategy.

The yak likes this.
  7. kinghippo

kinghippo Juniors

I completely agree, anyone who hasn’t played this year and is available should get a run.
    They have had a tough year and it would be good to reward them with some solid game time or a debut.

WestyLife likes this.
  8. The_Frog

The_Frog Juniors

You have to wonder where that team would come in this premiership.

kinghippo likes this.
  9. The_Frog

The_Frog Juniors

The risk is that the side is flat in the first week of the finals. It has happened before.

Crashtest likes this.
  10. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

Several big name players are getting rested over the next couple of weeks.

Even more important with no lower grades for fringe guys to get match fit

kinghippo and WestyLife like this.
  11. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

There is a risk of burn out regardless. Goes with the territory

12. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

Guys like Whare/Burton are an injury from FG. So it has practical benefits too

kinghippo likes this.
  13. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

points are irrelevant to that 17

14. Kilkenny

Kilkenny First Grade

There is only one more regular season game and then the real business begins.

Are you suggesting we rest players the week against the Bulldogs and again in the the 1 v 4 semi.

The fringe players are going to figure and if they have too because we sustain numerous serious injuries then we we will deal with it.

15. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

No I am saying rest top 17 players this week so everyone is fit for the semis.

It has the benefit of giving Burton, Whare etc gametime. So if in the 1 v 4 final an injury does happen we have guys with gametime to call in

kinghippo likes this.
  16. ACTPanthers

ACTPanthers Bench

The Minor Premiership is locked in. We did it my friends! The rush of jubilation has subsided enough for me to look to the next round, a game in which win, lose or draw, we come out as season winners.

To paraphrase a great literary mind, "To rest, or not to rest, that is the question". And what a question it is. Do we rest some players to have them fresh for the first week of the Finals series? Or do we play the best we have to maintain the players own personal momentum? It is a hard task to come up with an answer to that, and I do not envy the people who have to make this decision.

In my own personal opinion, I'd rest a player or two. Give some of our other key cogs a rest and bring in some others who would be grateful for the opportunity to run out and have a dig.

I must confess that this week feels like a bit of "lull in the battle". Nothing really on the line, and with all eyes on the following weeks of footy, this feels a little like going through the motions... I'm not really feeling anything.

All we can ask is that there are no injuries in this weeks dead rubber. Use the game to work on some things, but most of all, have a good time out there (which I think we can all see, the boys are doing this EVERY WEEK!).

17. WestyLife

WestyLife Juniors

I think they should reward the guys who've had to deal with being in the NRL bubble with it's extra restrictions without seeing much game time. A nice little thanks for the effort at training etc.

ACTPanthers likes this.
  18. maple_69

maple_69 Bench

I’d only rest for injuries and I wouldn’t move players out of position to cover them at all. So Aekins for Edwards, Capewell for Martin, Burton for Yeo (May to lock) and Whare for Crichton. Those guys will be better for the rest and the guys coming in will be better for the run if needed.

age.s and CCJohnC like this.
  19. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

That is it for me too. Allows us to have match fit guys should we need them in the finals.

WestyLife likes this.
  20. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

Be good to see the team do the lap with the shield this week regardless of on field. So will be a strange feeling

ACTPanthers likes this.