What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 20 Vs Bulldogs.

Kilkenny

Coach
It begs the question who amongst our young squad actually needs a rest?

I understand there is the sentimental aspect to reward certain players who have seen little game time (or no game time) but I cant help think unless a player needs a rest we just keep on putting our best side on the field.

It is a tough call either way. My biggest concern around resting key players is potentially those rested going into the GF play off game with one game in three/four weeks if we win our first semi.

At the end of the day you cannot plan for unforeseen injuries, they just happen, sometimes at the moments you least want them.

franklin2323

Immortal

I understand there is the sentimental aspect to reward certain players who have seen little game time (or no game time) but I cant help think unless a player needs a rest we just keep on putting our best side on the field.

It is a tough call either way. My biggest concern around resting key players is potentially those rested going into the GF play off game with one game in three/four weeks if we win our first semi.

At the end of the day you cannot plan for unforeseen injuries, they just happen, sometimes at the moments you least want them.

Mansour has a busted knee.
Edwards took a knock last week
JFH looks to be hitting a wall

I will flip this would you feel confident if Burton or Whare had to play in the finals? Given both haven't played for 10 weeks

WestyLife

First Grade

It makes sense as a fan you want to see the full strength side out there playing the best football possible but Ivan has said he'll look at resting this week. It's more sentimental to not rest at this point.

franklin2323

Immortal
It makes sense as a fan you want to see the full strength side out there playing the best football possible but Ivan has said he'll look at resting this week. It's more sentimental to not rest at this point.

Look at Roosters and Storm

Papenhuyzen rested
Teddy Rested
Friend rested

Etc those who know finals are resting. So it must be the way to do it

Kilkenny

Coach
Mansour has a busted knee.
Edwards took a knock last week
JFH looks to be hitting a wall

I will flip this would you feel confident if Burton or Whare had to play in the finals? Given both haven't played for 10 weeks

Like i said there is no issue resting those carrying a niggle if the rest is of some benefit.

There is a risk of players sustaining injuries at training, not just in games.

I would be happy for Burton to get a hit out, not sure who for unless you want to wrap either Laui or Cleary in cotton wool for this week.

As for Dean Whare and i say this with respect to his service to our club but he is no longer in our top 17. If either Naden or Chrichton were to get injured then i think Ivan would probably turn first to May or Capewell rather than Dean.

Of the three players you mentioned perhaps giving JFH a week off could be a smart move, not that I think he needs it, but could be beneficial just to freshen him up.

franklin2323

Immortal
Like i said there is no issue resting those carrying a niggle if the rest is of some benefit.

There is a risk of players sustaining injuries at training, not just in games.

I would be happy for Burton to get a hit out, not sure who for unless you want to wrap either Laui or Cleary in cotton wool for this week.

As for Dean Whare and i say this with respect to his service to our club but he is no longer in our top 17. If either Naden or Chrichton were to get injured then i think Ivan would probably turn first to May or Capewell rather than Dean.

Of the three players you mentioned perhaps giving JFH a week off could be a smart move, not that I think he needs it, but could be beneficial just to freshen him up.

No way we beat Storm or Roosters with those guys at centre. With the ball he has fallen way behind but defensively he is still decent enough and you win finals on defence.

Taking into Account MWZ and Staines are injured. I'd run out like this

Aekins
Laurie
Whare
Naden
To'o
Burton
Cleary
Tamou
Api
Leinu
Kikau
Capewell
Leota

Luai ( Can go half a game with Cleary)
Burns
Hetherington
Hollis

franklin2323

Immortal
Fish had his best game of the season, perhaps any season, against the Eels. He had less minutes last week and no doubt was told to take it a bit easy. Happy for him to rest this week.

I agree there but we need everyone at their best. So if resting him does that then so be it

Kilkenny

Coach

That’s not what I am saying at all.

I am not concerned around the result against the Bulldogs. (Although I still want to win)

I am concerned if Ivan rests a large number of players there is a potential risk of us going into the major semi final to play off for a spot in the GF with those rested only having played one game in thee - four weeks. That is a risk, a major risk.

The risk is reduced if we lose the 1 v 4 play off game, because it will be all hands on deck in week two of the Semi Finals given we will be playing for our survival.

We beat the Cowboys on the 18th September. Say we rest half a dozen or more this week against the Bulldogs and as you say the result is inconsequential.

Our 1 v 4 Preliminary Final appears to be pencilled in for Friday the 2nd October.

If we are fortunate to win our 1 v 4 our next game is the Major Semi Final on either the 16th or 17th October which is effectively one month since we beat the Cowboys.

So the half a dozen players or more rested as suggested by some will have played one game in a month? Is that a good thing or is it a major risk.

It’s all fine to rest players, but it is a major decision and one that needs to be very carefully thought out rather than just bring in half a dozen players who haven’t had any game time through no fault of there own.

WestyLife

First Grade

I am not concerned around the result against the Bulldogs. (Although I still want to win)

I am concerned if Ivan rests a large number of players there is a potential risk of us going into the major semi final to play off for a spot in the GF with those rested only having played one game in thee - four weeks. That is a risk, a major risk.

The risk is reduced if we lose the 1 v 4 play off game, because it will be all hands on deck in week two of the Semi Finals given we will be playing for our survival.

We beat the Cowboys on the 18th September. Say we rest half a dozen or more this week against the Bulldogs and as you say the result is inconsequential.

Our 1 v 4 Preliminary Final appears to be pencilled in for Friday the 2nd October.

If we are fortunate to win our 1 v 4 our next game is the Major Semi Final on either the 16th or 17th October which is effectively one month since we beat the Cowboys.

So the half a dozen players or more rested as suggested by some will have played one game in a month? Is that a good thing or is it a major risk.

It’s all fine to rest players, but it is a major decision and one that needs to be very carefully thought out rather than just bring in half a dozen players who haven’t had any game time through no fault of there own.

You were previously against resting when this wasn't an issue as well stating we need to play our full strength team. Also I don't think one game against a bottom 2 team will change much if this is a concern.

franklin2323

Immortal

Papenhuyzen missed the last 2 weeks. They have a stack missing this week the same applies to the team running 2nd. Yet a coach that knows how to win is doing this very thing

What if we lose week 1? You want to be in position to play 4 intense games if you need too

Kilkenny

Coach
You were previously against resting when this wasn't an issue as well stating we need to play our full strength team. Also I don't think one game against a bottom 2 team will change much if this is a concern.

My point has nothing to do with what side we put out against the Bulldogs.

My point is just about having a battle hardened side in the Major Semi Final, if we make it that far, and not taking the risk of having a number of our star players potentially only have played one game in a month and having to beat the Roosters/Storm to make a GF.