What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 20 vs. Newcastle Knights

Buckshot

Juniors
I heard that Thaiday is still upset at the Cowboys at being overlooked as a junior .

The comment I heard was that we would have to pay massive overs to get him here.

Talanexor

Juniors
Tell Thaiday he's got a choice between 3 years of running off Thurston or 1 year of running off Lockyer.

Can't we offer to name a special scholarship to up-and-coming indigenous NQ players the Sam Thaiday Scholarship? Surely that's got to be a big incentive for him to come to the Cowboys. Thaiday would be a much better pickup than Manu or Smith - but we could probably get both of those guys for the money Thaiday would want.

Big Pete

Referee
Sam wants to be a one club player.

Believe it or not but the Under 20's has been a god send for North Queensland. Before juniors would be encouraged by managers to venture else where but with the 20's in place the Cowboys are now able to encourage them to stay by offering them a spot in that squad and as a result an opportunity to train with the first grade squad.

Talanexor

Juniors
It's not often we agree Big Pete, but you're 100% right about the u20s. The odd few still slip through the cracks (O'Niell for instance) but we catch more than we did before.

I'd still like to see a national reserve grade competition though. QLD Cup and NSW Cup are becoming a dumping ground for underperforming players more than a pool of potential talent.

Charlie124

First Grade
I heard that Thaiday is still upset at the Cowboys at being overlooked as a junior .

The comment I heard was that we would have to pay massive overs to get him here.

This may be true, but i seriously doubt Thaiday would be that petty and childish, he doesnt strike me as the kind of guy who'd hold a stupid grudge like that. Its a reality of life that clubs just cant possibly hold on to all of its juniors.

Didgi

I cbf making a new thread, but here's another reason we need a cleanout.

North Queensland Cowboys CEO Peter Parr rues Wayne Bennett snub

By Peter Badel
July 23, 2010 North Queensland Cowboys chief executive Peter Parr was left gutted after a club boardroom faction scuppered his successful raid on master coach Wayne Bennett.
The Courier-Mail newspaper revealed Bennett, now at St George Illawarra, had privately agreed to coach the Cowboys from 2009 onwards after being satisfied with the club's lucrative offer following high-powered talks with Parr and chairman Laurence Lancini.

The revelation came as Parr on Thursday night backed the club's contingency signing, Neil Henry, who is under mounting pressure to turn the misfiring Cowboys into a finals contender after two failed campaigns.

Bennett was prevented from officially signing the seven-figure deal when Lancini failed to secure a unanimous board decision after two Cowboys officials dissented.

The decision left Parr devastated and sent the Cowboys scrambling to sign Henry, who was handed a five-year deal and has embarked on a major signing spree to reignite North Queensland as a premiership force.

Seven days after being snubbed by the Cowboys' board, Bennett was snapped up by the Dragons and has transformed the club into raging favourites for this year's premiership.

Parr on Thursday night refused to comment on the botched deal but North Queensland sources said Bennett had been committed to coaching the Cowboys.

In his biography, released in November 2008, Bennett detailed the Cowboys' pursuit and his interest in North Queensland as the club began the search for Graham Murray's successor. But what has never been revealed was the club's formal four-year offer to Bennett.

It is understood the coach outlined his required salary. A delighted Parr agreed to the terms and left the meeting convinced he had his man, only for the Cowboys board to torpedo the deal.
In his book, Bennett wrote: "At the end of the meeting Laurence said he certainly wanted me to be the coach there and I thought the Cowboys would be a great fit for me.

"A few days after the meeting with Laurence and Peter, I got a phone call to say I'd missed out on the job.

"In the end, I thought: 'Thank heavens I'm not going to a club that runs by democracy'. Give me leadership over daily democratic meetings every day of the week."

Parr defended Henry's long-term deal and demanded everyone at the club take ownership of the club's plight.

"Neil has been under some pressure but we have faith in him - he's part of the solution, not the problem," he said.

Charlie124

First Grade
yep, i had a really good feeling about this game that we were going to come out and put on a real show. That didnt quite happen and when the knights scored the last 2 tries i had this all too familiar sickening feeling in my stomach that we were going to let another game slip through our hands.

Ill take the win and i hope we dont see any changes next week. Ive got to give credit where credit is due, Ty Williams was fantastic.

Latest posts