What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 20 vs. Titans Discussion + Voting

Big Pete

Referee
Local derby against our no-good younger brother. Can we rub their noses in it and make it 7 straight against our struggling neighbours?

Here's how both teams line-up.

Titans:
1. William Zillman
2. Kevin Gordon
3. Jamal Idris
4. Steve Michaels
5. David Mead
6. Aidan Sezer
7. Scott Prince
8. Luke Bailey
9. Matt Srama
10. Luke Douglas
11. Nate Myles
12. Mark Minichiello
13. Ashley Harrison
Interchange:
14. Matt White
15. Ryan James
16. Luke O'Dwyer
17. Beau Falloon
18. Michael Henderson

Broncos:
1. Josh Hoffman
2. Gerard Beale
3. Alex Glenn
4. Justin Hodges
5. Lachlan Maranta
6. Corey Norman
7. Peter Wallace
8. Josh McGuire
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Petero Civoniceva
11. Matt Gillett
12. Sam Thaiday
13. Corey Parker
Interchange
14. Ben Hunt
15. Ben Te'o
16. Mitchell Dodds
17. Ben Hannant
18. Dunamis Lui

Obviously only one change here to the Broncos. Maranta comes in for Copley who has a fractured fibula and looks to be sidelined for at least a month. Do you reckon he was the right choice? Keeping in mind the other selection would have either been Aaron Whitchurch or Nat Barnes?

Heading into the game, I'd like to see how the boys have taken the win against the Warriors. To me, that type of performance isn't one the fans will appreciate, but for the club it'll be like gold and I hope it gives them the confidence to play an attractive brand of footy.

I don't know about you, but sometimes it can be pretty tough being a Broncos fan. This is just one huge first world problem, but despite our relative success this season, our bland form of footy doesn't really give us a whole lot to brag about. There really isn't much in the season highlights away from a couple of freakish tries that Corey Norman has been apart of. If we don't have a premiership to show for it, what do you guys reckon we'll remember about 2012? Other than the heart-breaking losses of course. :p

Thoughts, predictions, hopes, dreams, prayers, well wishes, bait etc. etc. all in here!

Vol-Crane-O

Juniors
First things first - it still baffles me how the Titans are so inconsistent, with the names they have on that squad. It must be something to do with the culture, and if they could recruit a disciplinarian as coach, I think they would be a lot better. Not sure why noone is calling for Carty's head just yet.

Second - I think they have done the right thing with Maranta. He has performed solidly in his few games this season, and apart from that blinding error against the Sharkies (that led to Best's try) he deserves his spot. I personally would rather see Whitchurch, because he trucks it up hard, tackles well, and doesn't take a backward step. I think we need that. I don't know enough about Barnes to comment on him.

Finally - I think the main thing we will remember about season 2012 is Petero. Although he hasn't been anything special, as the season winds down if the Broncos fall out of contention I think he will be the focus. Of course, I am hoping for a premiership still, and I don't think it would be impossible. We just need the out of form guys to fire again - ie. Wallace, Gillett, Hodges, Hoffman, Thaiday to some extent.

IBA

Juniors
Some depth in the attacking line and a little bit of spark please. I was fine with the attack starting the season a little slow but it really hasn't built as I'd like...

AceAv

Juniors
I think Griff has had to go back to square 1 with the bronx and get their defense set. The Warriors and Cowboys game were real standouts to me for real defensively structured strategy. Points come much easier (even if it's penalty or field goals). So though I would love to see much sharper attacks and skillful plays. We have to remember this is our 1st year for Post Lockyer and players like Norman are still finding their feet in attack. I have seem Wal step up, but we need to face facts and accept he is no Langer, Thurston or Cronk.

So I think Griff is steering us in the direction we need to go and utilizing our fantastic forward pack to be the real victors. But as far as winning a premiership goes this year: I would be quite surprised if we did it. I never expected to make top 4 and will be proud if we get to the semis again!

I'm expecting a close game with a near full strength Titans squad desperate to keep their season alive, but confident we can shut them out. Go Manly also so we can leap frog the doggies!

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Whitchurch would make stronger kick return carries but Maranta would be better under high ball so its a tough choice.

All I want to see is our attack returning to at least how good it was at the start of the year. Tbh I am surprised about our ladder position. But you could see this as a good thing; we are still winning games not at our best.

Titans will be a tough game, no doubt about that. The ladder positions don't say much about recent form.

Titanic

First Grade
First things first - it still baffles me how the Titans are so inconsistent, with the names they have on that squad. It must be something to do with the culture, and if they could recruit a disciplinarian as coach, I think they would be a lot better. Not sure why noone is calling for Carty's head just yet.

Every Titans fan is asking the same question, however, if you have a peeping turtle as your club owner/CEO/tea boy then you cannot expect an answer. I would guess that nobody will sack their best mate nor could he pay him out even if he wanted to.

Should be a good game even so.

Leagueaddict

Juniors
Hopefully a dry pitch up there in sunny QLD for Friday night? Now with our forwards and defence shaping up would love to see a bit more creativity in the backline and get some of those plays re-emerging. At the start of the year couple of matches in thought we were just starting to get into our stride but things have halted i think mainly due to SOO so the Titans match will be a good test to see where we're at?

I agree we're pretty lucky to be sitting ladder wise and hope we don't throw it away now. We have plenty to build on and feel confident we can start improving again (mainly on set plays) and get some of those flashy outball inballs etc happening again along with consistent solid defence.

Like the look of Maranta and happy with slotting him in above others. 2012 will be all about the coach and his first year and building the Broncs up to premiership winners if not this year - just round the corner.:) And of course the man made of granite ol Petro himself goes out in fine form and some of the young guns start firing!

Titans always a threat against us but we should win this one pretty easy towards the tail end.

IBA

Juniors
Tbh I am surprised about our ladder position.

I'm not. We actually looked pretty good up until our usual origin period. It's close to impossible to win games when 7 or 8 players are changing every week. It just messes up training and attacking plays and everything.

Stringing a few games together with the same team will hopefully do us wonders. A hand full of games to get this attack gelling. Looking forward to it.

JamesBrandy

Juniors
I was reading in the courier mail that Alex Glenn was being groomed to mark Idris to try and 'shut him down'. I thought this was weird, because Alex Glenn plays on the left hand side of the field and so does Idris, therefore Hodges would be marking Idris....

hellteam

First Grade
Idris has played left quite a bit of the year but last week he played right.

Assuming he will play right again this week. So he should, he was a right centre at the Dogs and it is where he is most effective.

gUt

Coach
Corey Parker notches 250 games this week for the Broncos. What an outstanding effort from one of the hardest working players in the comp. He's never looked fitter and we'll need him to stand up in the run to the finals.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-19/parker-praised-before-milestone-match/4141248?section=sport

Parker praised before milestone match

Brisbane coach Anthony Griffin says Corey Parker's professionalism is why the Broncos lock will line up in his 250th first grade match against Gold Coast on Friday night.

The 30-year-old goalkicking lock will become the sixth Bronco after Darren Lockyer (366), Michael Hancock (297), Allan Langer (288), Andrew Gee (279) and Shane Webcke (263) to reach the milestone.

Parker, who scored a try in his first match for the Broncos in 2001, started his career in the front row but is now firmly established as the club's starting lock and an 80-minute player.

"Corey is a real pro and extremely diligent in all his habits," Griffin said.

"He's very diligent with his training habits, his rehab, his diet.

"He's very mentally tough, he can play with injuries and he recovers from injuries quicker.

"He turns four-week injuries into two and he turned bumps that might keep other players out into something he can carry.

"His mental toughness is one of his great assets."

continues...

gUt

Coach
Also an interesting little factoid, if we win it'll mean the triangle of Qld 2012 weirdness will be complete (correct me if I'm wrong):

Cows have beaten us twice
Titans have beaten the Cows twice
We'll beat the Titans twice...

I have held back on giveing it to are halves appart from little digs at Norman, but after tonight I have nearly had enough. This is the first year in however long our spine has not been effected by origin they have had basicly a whole year to build combinations, but every weak they continue to play dumb football not going for repeat sets doing stupid kicks.

Another thing is we always seem to complain every tackel we never fight in the play the ball we are always flailing our arms around trying to milk a penalty, seriously just get on with it.

rant/

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
I am *this* close to demanding that Wallace be dumped altogether. Absolutely useless. Has no idea what he's doing. Hodges needs a kick in the arse to get him going again. Lazy footballer. Hoffman with the brain snap swinging arm costing us the game.

I fear for our finals hopes.

unbreaK

Juniors
I turned it off at half time, sounded like it was the right decision, really disappointing game to watch.

Pro's:-

Matt Gillett finally had an aggressive game, much better, hope he maintains it
Ben Hannant really needs to be back in the starting lineup, topped tackles and hit-ups for the Broncos
Lachlan Maranta looked more dangerous than Dale Copley ever has when hitting the ball up

Con's:-

Corey Norman and Peter Wallace, just really not doing enough, not sure what the problem is with them
Josh McGuire had a quite game by his standards
Justin Hodges is having his worse season ever

Nerd

Bench
C'mon Hook do the right thing and hook Wallace from the team. With the amount of ball we had in the first twenty minutes we should have put on at least 2 tries. Seriously we look lost when we get near the oppositions try line. Give Ben Hunt a go he can't go any worse than Wallace. I'm also glad I'm not one of the forwards running off Wallace's hospital tip offs.

Rant over.

Big Pete

Referee
Well, that sucked.

Congrats Titanic, your boys deserved it.

Haven't been this disappointed in the side in a long time.

Latest posts