What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 21 v Raiders

gitano

Juniors
Picking Clune twice last week made more sense than Bird at Fullback.
Have a look at the amount of cheap tries or turnovers we've leaked this year through fullbacks not tidying up.

It's an awful lot. Bird is solid and a stop gap. We can't keep turning it over on tackle 0.

Ramsey is not a first grader but with injuries, what do you do.

Unsainty79

Juniors
I'm not too worried about Sullivan being dropped for Norman/Clune. He's still young, had a few injuries and his defence was a little suspect, probably due to his rustiness. I think Norman as a bigger body is probably the only reason. Clune brings a bit more experience at 7.

Sloan missing out is young player management, he is only 18 & this is the same as Amone. I am also not sure as they're development players if this plays a part.

In saying the above, Bird at full-back takes the cake of peculiar positional picks this year. He doesn't have much toe about him due to his injuries & played really well and centre and somewhat well in the back-row.

Unsainty79

Juniors
Ramsay in the centres = recipe for disaster
Defensively, yes, potentially. However, he is quick and I am hoping playing in the centres allows him to get a bit more ball early. Anyone who seen him play in the lower grades knows he has some serious attacking talent. I've always thought him on the wing was playing him out of position.

He will be playing against Timoko too, so this may be a factor in moving him there.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I'm not too worried about Sullivan being dropped for Norman/Clune. He's still young, had a few injuries and his defence was a little suspect, probably due to his rustiness. I think Norman as a bigger body is probably the only reason. Clune brings a bit more experience at 7.

Sloan missing out is young player management, he is only 18 & this is the same as Amone. I am also not sure as they're development players if this plays a part.

In saying the above, Bird at full-back takes the cake of peculiar positional picks this year. He doesn't have much toe about him due to his injuries & played really well and centre and somewhat well in the back-row.
Yes, i’m interested in seeing how Bird goes there. He does brings aggression and talk and still feel that it’s a valuable commodity even in this ‘oz tag’ era were playing in.

Another triangle type player in the 17 and a good one at that! At his previous best i think he’s best position was centre, but just feel the game’s just too quick now. I personally think he’s now a bench back row forward and could be used here next year to great effect.

SGMax

Juniors
Before Bird left us for Cronulla, the Dragons coaches were convinced that FB was Bird's best position.
I don't think he will have the speed or fitness to be FB, but he may be there to help the halves direct play in Hunt's absence.
Dufty must have really put off the Dragons behind the scenes to be so far back in the FB pecking order. Has to be his poor attitude and arrogance, I think.

dungay dragon

Juniors
Before Bird left us for Cronulla, the Dragons coaches were convinced that FB was Bird's best position.
I don't think he will have the speed or fitness to be FB, but he may be there to help the halves direct play in Hunt's absence.
Dufty must have really put off the Dragons behind the scenes to be so far back in the FB pecking order. Has to be his poor attitude and arrogance, I think.
To a point can understand the snubbing of Dufty . Perhaps attitude etc not sure BUT why the heck are we perservering with Norman who has also been told Not Wanted from next year .
What message does this send to the younger members of our Squad

Dragonslayer

First Grade
To a point can understand the snubbing of Dufty . Perhaps attitude etc not sure BUT why the heck are we perservering with Norman who has also been told Not Wanted from next year .
What message does this send to the younger members of our Squad

No message really. Bud has played 2 games back from injury, he put in 100% effort in both, particularly against the rampaging Rabbits, and with a 4 day turn, it would be negligent to back him up again. Amone is a different 'kettle of fish', he's a little more hardened and was playing out if position at centre, from the bench is a good move, he's a 5/8 and so is Norman, I see the reasoning there. Matt F is retained in the squad at wing, and he should be. Sloan, I believe has an injury (tbc), he picked up in the Rabbits game.

With these guys it is all about player management. Everyone knows Norman is gone in 5 more games and whilst he plays like a ballerina, he is an experienced 1st grader (saying that very losely), thats why he is picked over them.

Maddragon99

Juniors
No message really. Bud has played 2 games back from injury, he put in 100% effort in both, particularly against the rampaging Rabbits, and with a 4 day turn, it would be negligent to back him up again. Amone is a different 'kettle of fish', he's a little more hardened and was playing out if position at centre, from the bench is a good move, he's a 5/8 and so is Norman, I see the reasoning there. Matt F is retained in the squad at wing, and he should be. Sloan, I believe has an injury (tbc), he picked up in the Rabbits game.

With these guys it is all about player management. Everyone knows Norman is gone in 5 more games and whilst he plays like a ballerina, he is an experienced 1st grader (saying that very losely), thats why he is picked over them.
Obviously this is a must win game so no point in holding back. I assume positions will change during the game depending on how the match is going. I like Amone on the bench he can come on for impact. We need Lomax & Ravalawa to have blinders & hold our own up front.

Massive game in the context of our season.

dungay dragon

Juniors
Obviously this is a must win game so no point in holding back. I assume positions will change during the game depending on how the match is going. I like Amone on the bench he can come on for impact. We need Lomax & Ravalawa to have blinders & hold our own up front.

Massive game in the context of our season.
Agree with what u r saying but on that basis shouldnt dufty be in the starting side ?
Difficult dilemma for Hook

Dragon David

First Grade
Dufty is well and truly on the outer if Bird is listed to play fullback. Barrett should be concerned haha!

slippery5

Juniors
He made an absolute blinder of a try-saving tackle on Mr Burgess. It's a pity we don't have a full-back who can do the same kind of thing.
Oh, I'll check the replay, but he usually stands legs spread with shoulders perpendicular to his hips, throwing his arms out first, but there are a lot of 1st graders who do this and not noticed by the so called defensive coaches......

slippery5

Juniors
He played 21 minutes, made 19 tackles and missed 2, which almost qualifies him as our best defender last week. Seriously, everyone else missed between 3 and 9 tackles - except Feagai and Tariq. 56 missed tackles for the team, must be a record.
He'll have a lot to prove and a lot to play for on Friday - if he goes well he'll keep that jersey for the rest of the year, hopefully he grabs that sucka by the throat and makes the most of it. I can't see anyone else firing our attack. I think he goes alright, just hasn't had much opportunity.
I get your stats, however, there is a difference from racking up tackle numbers compared to tackle technique that was executed. Was he just another player contributing to the tackle? or was his effort just enough to allow others to complete the tackle. Lots of players are guilty of this, JDB, Radley are the exceptions.