What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 21 v Souths

With this injury crisis at the WT it may be an opportunity to be proactive for a change,the teams performances as a whole over the season have been average at best, i think its time for a new approach or strategy from the team otherwise, we may simply limp into the top 8 or fail to make it at all.If we need pace out wide bring Grant and Koroibete in,Chisholm or Humble could partner Marshall in the halves,whilst the forwards available, are still capable of holding there own.
Stranger things have happened,if a team can gain confidence and momentum leading into the finals any thing is still possible,however if nothing is rectified or at least tried for future benefit our season may as well be over.

if nothing is rectified or at least tried for future benefit
100% correct however, Bennett, Bellemy, Hasler, Stone and Maguire are not coaching at Concord. HRH Sheens is and there in, lies the problem.

BigRedV

Juniors
Why weaken one position, hooker, and have that guy move to half, not like we are strengthening the 7's position.

If Humble is not a 1st grade 7, is Farah? is Marshall?

Someone said that Marshall is a free spirit, he's playing like a little boy who doesn't want to be in the position he's in, but actually does all the PC stuff so well. Move him back to 6, leave Farah at 9 and leave Humble at 7 for the rest of the year. Or if Timid Tim's hammy is up to it, play him at 7 for the rest of the year.

I said the same thing in the thread last night. Farah is an absolute gun at 9, and really almost plays like a half from there anyway. I understand they were dropping like flies last night, but i really think he should have stayed at 9, and the benchie (sorry can't remember his name) should have run around in more of a 7 role.

It seemed when Farah moved to the halves both he and benji wen't quiet a bit.

Bench
I said the same thing in the thread last night. Farah is an absolute gun at 9, and really almost plays like a half from there anyway. I understand they were dropping like flies last night, but i really think he should have stayed at 9, and the benchie (sorry can't remember his name) should have run around in more of a 7 role.

aIt seemed when Farah moved to the halves both he nd benji wen't quiet a bit.
Farah was killing it early,Sheens should have sent Iosefa on to play at 7,but Sheens is a stubborn old fool,he likes it here's weird way,not the smartest way.

leoc

Juniors
The massive issue is that Super Coach has dicked around since Prince left and never replaced a halfback. The injuries just strain an already thrown (here & there) together team.

macnaz

Staff member
A quick highlights package of last weeks BRET V Manly game .
Some Grant speed in the first try .
http://www.nswrl.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=60028 Click on the Bret V Manly link under the video player.

FMD its like he isnt even trying , his speed is far more evident live tho . He reminds me of a super fast version of Ayshford in a lot of ways .

Last edited:

Matchball

Bench
I fear we are in for a hammering.
Too many injuries and people playing out of position and South's are on fire.

I'm dying to see our line up.

Galeforce

Bench
For and against may become your most important criteria to make the 8 . If so and your injury situation is that bad this week , may be more prudent to do a 1909 and not turn up on sunday. Allow Souths to kick off and score , game ends 4 nil.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Thanks for the clip Macnaz.

You don't see that too often now with a Tigers team, big fast wingers, a ball playing half, a five eight wanting to take on the opposition and an aggressive hooker. Shows what people can do when they play in their correct positions. Please feel free to send this onto Sheens.

Grant looked good scoring, perhaps should have passed back on the inside later on and I suppose that his his weakness, still learning league but Geezus he looks good when he gets space.

Guvner

First Grade
Said it in another thread, you guys need to give Grant a go. Natural try scorer.

So Lawrence is out for 6 weeks.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...y-crisis-deepens/story-fn2mcuj6-1226435141251

Sheens can't have a different centre or centre/wing combo for 6 weeks, can he?

I wonder if a centre / wing combo from BRET would be the way to go? Does Meaney play inside Grant? If he does, that might make life easier for Grant and it's not like Meaney couldn't hold his own. Send Reddy to BRET, that would be a fair swap. :D

7. Humble - the way Marshall has been playing, Humble might just take over ;-)
6. Marshall
5. Grant
4. Meaney
3. Ayshford
2. Utai
1. Ryan

The Rosco

Bench

GRANT . . . GRANT . . . .GRANT !!!!

The positives:
* Is fast. very effin fast.
* wants to run through tackles.
* Has a massive reach
* Has a massive stride
* Is very tall
* Has good hands
* Is the boss's son
* Is very effin fast.
* Is potentially a superstar compared to Reddy

The negatives:
* No NRL experience
* Has a common Christian name.
* His dad wasn't called "Rocket" in his playing days
* He would make Gus Gould say "WOW" again and again.

Matchball

Bench
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-tigers-get-a-rising-star-20110806-1igjc.html

JOHN GRANT is faster than Greg Inglis and Jarryd Hayne and in recent seasons has scored more tries than both combined.

Which is why his uncle, former Balmain star James Grant, reckons he will receive a warmer reception than he himself did upon his arrival at the Tigers. The younger Grant will link with the joint-venture club next year after a successful rugby career for Eastwood.

The 22-year-old has been a sensation in the Shute Shield, crossing for a competition-high 22 tries last season. The winger has backed it up with 10 more this year as part of a Woodies team which won 15 consecutive games.

Several NRL clubs, including South Sydney, were keen on him but the opportunity to follow in his uncle's footsteps was too good to pass up.

James Grant, who scored an intercept try in the classic 1989 grand final against Canberra, is stunned that Super Rugby let the powerful winger slip through its fingers.

''It does your head in to think there are players with the ability that John has … and then you have five franchises in Australian rugby that don't look at our home-grown talent,'' he said. ''It sits well with us all that he's at the Tigers. It's the club that gave me an opportunity and it's a great club. The Tigers have got a lot of young outside backs so he's going to have to start at the bottom of the ladder, pretty similar to when I came into the Tigers.

''People are going to say, 'who's he?' and he'll be looking at blokes like Benji Marshall, Robbie Farah and Chris Lawrence thinking 'I've got to get up to that standard real quick'. He's got all the skills and ability to do it, as well as a good work ethic.''

James received a frosty reception during his own transition from union to league. ''I remember when I first went there, Mick Pobjie was in the centres,'' he recalled. ''Warren Ryan and I were sitting down talking when I got introduced to Mick. Warren said, 'can you just take Jimmy aside, teach him all the plays for the centres'. Mick said, 'stuff him, he can learn the same way I did.' I get on really well with Mick Pobjie, he's a lovely bloke, but you've got to work for what you want to get … and that's what John will do.''

John Grant cuts an imposing figure - he stands at 195cm and weighs 102kg. The former St Ignatius student was clocked at 10.8 seconds over 100 metres and briefly flirted with the idea of an athletics career.

''I probably would have done something like the decathlon,'' the player said.

He finished second in last year's Gatorade Bolt race behind Wallaby Lachie Turner but beat NRL players Hayne, Inglis, Ben Barba, Josh Morris and Nathan Gardner. The feat was achieved despite the fact he was only called up on race day following a late scratching - and after a series of torturous training sessions with the Australian Sevens side.

''It was amazing to be asked to run,'' he said. ''Crazy. Just seeing what Usain Bolt is like, how he goes about things, as well as Jarryd Hayne and Greg Inglis, was a great experience,'' he said. ''We had Sevens training the day before and got flogged. When I got the call-up I was 'oh', but you wouldn't miss it for the world.''

Tigers coach Tim Sheens sees Grant as the ideal replacement for Dragons-bound utility Tim Moltzen owing to his ability to play wing, centre and fullback.
Looking back on when we signed Grant and the last paragraph would have been a dream come true.

102 kg and runs fast??? Yes please..

Nothing wrong with John Grant. I think he will make it at NRL level, probably next year. For mine we haver a better younger winger in Marika Koroiebete who was in line to make his debut earlier this year and I think would still be ahead of John Grant in line for the NRL side.

Marika is fast, powerful and a very good talent, amongst the best I have seen in my 30 plus years watching the game. I would pick Marika over John Grant easily.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been hearing Ayshford, Marshall and Moltzen are all in serious doubt. Benji is being rested until tomorrow. If he fails the fitness test he'll sit out this weekends match.

We're clinging onto eighth, should we just take a risk, and rest a heap of players, get them fresh and make a late charge into the finals?