What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 23 vs Roosters

Spazer

Juniors
Eh could have been worse I guess. I thought clune would have made it to the bench as backup hooker. Happy burns is able to backup. Not sure what hook sees in Ford. Praying Mcguire can offer decent service at dummy half. Will be interesting to see how hook uses sulli and amone.

At least with dufty and amone starting we can expect to see some decent attack when in the opp 20. Norman just has to kick long and be the link between duff and amone. Let the others do the attack.

Dragon David

First Grade
Just too many changes this year - with injuries and suspensions - causing Griffin to chop and change the players in the team nearly every week so a big reason why we have failed. Overall the squad has not been strong and with players not playing in the right positions we have generally struggled. A big puzzle why Norman still starts - isn't he leaving us? You'd think that with him starting in nearly every game except for his suspensions, that he was newly signed to play for the club this year rather than leaving us.

I'm hoping our attack will be improved and we score some much needed tries.

You just never know, we might be lucky.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
I’m thinking even if he was injured he would still select Norman. He cost us any chance of a win last week, the guy is useless why oh why is he still selected FFS
It is an issue Hook should address, not just ignore. I think we would all feel a lot better if Hook issued a statement saying "I know fans have been questioning the continued selection of some players, but the reason for their ongoing selection is ......."
Would it hurt the club to treat the fans with respect instead of treating us like mushrooms?

Inisai Toga

Juniors
It is an issue Hook should address, not just ignore. I think we would all feel a lot better if Hook issued a statement saying "I know fans have been questioning the continued selection of some players, but the reason for their ongoing selection is ......."
Would it hurt the club to treat the fans with respect instead of treating us like mushrooms?
I totally disagree OED; i for one hope i never see a Saints coach who does that. They coach the side, fans follow or choose not to; imo owe fans nothing as around explanation or justification of team selection goes; you can work it out from all the available pre and post game interviews anyway.

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
At least this side has some points in them!
That backline potentially can score a bunch of tries if Amone plays well.
Forwards are a worry but I have a semi-good feeling about this game.
Roosters are vulnerable!
If only we didn’t have to beat the refs as well, something not to be taken lightly when playing against Robinsons men.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Happy with the team selected, albeit our forwards look very vulnerable, but that's about all we have left.
There was, imo, a legit reason for playing Bird at fullback over the last 2 weeks, and we will see the result of that now he's back at centre.
Norman at 7, is slowly being phased out, with Bud on the bench. I'm guessing Bud will come on sometime in the 2nd half, barring injuries. Bud has only played a handful of games in 'competitive' football over the last 2 years, so easing him in is the right thing to do, and it's why Clune has been relegated to 18th man.

As for Sloan, again this is more tactical than just throwing him in. Hook knows what he has in the garage so to speak. He may come back in against the Cows.

We aren't going to get any favours either with Sutton as the ref.

thebigredv

First Grade
Sloan cotton wool until the mathematical chance is gone IMO - missed a tonne of tackles vs bunnies. After the next loss he might be sighted vs Cows

Well then that's super poor logic.

Last time I check Dufty is not here next year. Is the coach afraid that Sloan is not good enough? That's an issue. I certainly have liked what I have seen from Sloan, much better than bird at FB.

Not only that but our season is gone. It was over when the players stopped showing up for 80 mins.

Griffin's lost it.

Last edited:

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Happy with the team selected, albeit our forwards look very vulnerable, but that's about all we have left.
There was, imo, a legit reason for playing Bird at fullback over the last 2 weeks, and we will see the result of that now he's back at centre.
Norman at 7, is slowly being phased out, with Bud on the bench. I'm guessing Bud will come on sometime in the 2nd half, barring injuries. Bud has only played a handful of games in 'competitive' football over the last 2 years, so easing him in is the right thing to do, and it's why Clune has been relegated to 18th man.

As for Sloan, again this is more tactical than just throwing him in. Hook knows what he has in the garage so to speak. He may come back in against the Cows.

We aren't going to get any favours either with Sutton as the ref.
While we remain a "mathematical chance" of making the eight, Hook will no doubt be picking his team to win games- and of course, given his shortage of fit troops some selections are going to raise eyebrows.

My guess is that (assuming the Roosters win) and that mathematical chance disappears, we may see some tinkering and experimentation with the halves in particular with 2022 in mind.

I'm thinking after the softening up period, maybe Norman to hooker, Sullivan to half and McGuire possibly to front row.......not sure who comes off but you can see where I'm going 😃

BLM01

First Grade
Other than handing Amone his debut starting match, Griffin's selections are baffling. Surely we have a better back up hooker than Maguire. JDB prop? All those calling for Norman's sacking from 5/8th.. well you got your wish. But guess what he is now the half. uuuhhhh! Seems Griffin wants to pick anyone other than Sloan or Ramsey at FB and that he just has to have Bird in the side.
Ramsay is out for the year
Sloan is put on ice for now and happy with that
Bird in his right position