What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 24 vs Newcastle Discussion & Voting

Dazzat

First Grade
1 Lachlan Maranta
2 Daniel Vidot
3 Jack Reed
4 Justin Hodges ©
5 Dale Copley
6 Ben Barba
7 Ben Hunt
8 Josh McGuire
9 Andrew McCullough
10 Corey Parker ©
11 Alex Glenn
12 Matt Gillett
13 Sam Thaiday

Interchange
14 Jarrod Wallace
15 Martin Kennedy
16 Ben Hannant
17 Corey Oates

Coach: Anthony Griffin

http://www.broncos.com.au/news/2014/08/19/maranta_s_high_ball_skills_gain_number_1.html

Trying to look at the positives here ... sorry ... can't do it.:crazy:

Last edited by a moderator:

Ghoulies

Bench
I assume that in attack our backline will involve Hodges moving to fullback and Copley taking his place at right centre.

Dazzat

First Grade
What's Jake G(l)(r)anville done wrong exactly?

Griffin told him to cut his hair and he refused?

Three props on the bench ... what the ...?

Dazzat

First Grade
I didn't want to mention that until I've absorbed it mentally and come to grips with the reality. Just too much. Too much consistency from Griffin - consistent imbecilic team selections.

Big Pete

Referee
I assume that in attack our backline will involve Hodges moving to fullback and Copley taking his place at right centre.

That's exactly what will happen.

What's Jake G(l)(r)anville done wrong exactly?

Signed with an opposition club when he was expendable.

Wasn't much of a spot regardless, he was just there to give Macca a breather as he's seen as a player worth developing.

Three props on the bench ... what the ...?

Don't have an issue with that.

They're already playing with an extra edge forward in the starting line-up. Extra middle covers that up.

Bronco18

Juniors
Who else would go to fullback?

Hodges can't run the ball back at a hundred miles an hour anymore and Barba's been shown to be a liability back there.
As long as in attack Hodges slots back to a a ball playing/roving role and Copley comes into his centre position, I'm ok with this.

hooch is crazy

Juniors
I'll agree that as llong as Maranta moves to the wing in attack and Hodges goes to the fullback/third receiver position; I think that's the best side they could have come up with. In fullback during defensive periods, Maranta is out of the way and can focus on taking the high balls and directing the troops. Kick returns will suffer mightily but Vidot can assist there.

Should be an interesting one. I'd like to see Barba get 20+ touches and spend some time at first receiver. Both he and Hunt should focus on playing their instinct. They get into trouble when they second guess themselves and run out room to do anything.

Also: FIFTH. TACKLE. OPTIONS. They need to put more than two in the play book.

Should be a win.

DeeJ

Bench
Will be interesting to see how Maranta goes at fullback. He was a junior kangaroo fullback so surely he can pass and stuff.

Big Pete

Referee
Maranta will only handle the defensive work to save Hodges from doing too much running.

A shame because watching him play fullback in the NYC really was night and day to his days as a winger.

Showed some nice signs against the Bulldogs last year too if I recall correctly, too.

Dazzat

First Grade
Rant warning ... don't read the following if you don't want some venting!

It's become like the proverbial gold fish in the saucepan on a low heat stove.

It sneaks up on you. You don't realise there's something seriously wrong until you're cooked.

Apologising for Griffin is like that. It seems we just accept his lame selections and team management now as the norm. It's all just so ... acceptable isn't it.

Oh well ... Maranta ... a player who wouldn't make any other team in the league is our fullback.

Oh well ... we're not playing one of our best attacking options off the bench because we're vindictive - he's signed with an opposition team and why the heck give him a chance?

Oh well ... we just refuse to drop under performing players, and refuse to encourage any one else through promotion.

Oh well ...

Welcome to mediocrity people.

ggmu

Juniors
Would have loved to see Copley against Gagai when we have the ball. Copley has the potential to rip him apart as Gagai defence is 12 year old level at times

hooch is crazy

Juniors
Rant warning ... don't read the following if you don't want some venting!

It's become like the proverbial gold fish in the saucepan on a low heat stove.

It sneaks up on you. You don't realise there's something seriously wrong until you're cooked.

Apologising for Griffin is like that. It seems we just accept his lame selections and team management now as the norm. It's all just so ... acceptable isn't it.

Oh well ... Maranta ... a player who wouldn't make any other team in the league is our fullback.

Oh well ... we're not playing one of our best attacking options off the bench because we're vindictive - he's signed with an opposition team and why the heck give him a chance?

Oh well ... we just refuse to drop under performing players, and refuse to encourage any one else through promotion.

Oh well ...

Welcome to mediocrity people.

Which selections would you change? Obviously fullback, but who would you put there? I don't think Griffin made an error in naming Maranta there, assuming it is just in defense. Hodges isn't up to 80 mins worth of fullback duties and anyone else would be a gamble at this point. He was selected as QLD residents fullback in his debut season. I don't think he has what it takes to be a long term first grader but no one else is screaming to be picked.

I think if you're gonna have a go at the selections, that's fair enough but your alternative shouldn't just be to throw some kid in there for sake of it and hope he does well.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Granville has played plenty of fullback before.
Griffin is a complete joke.
Id rather Allan langer at fb instead of f**king Maranta

Big Pete

Referee
Granville hasn't played there in years and was far from what you'd call a traditional fullback.

Wynnum fans could better explain it but it was one of those deals that would only work in the ISC. He was very hands on from memory.

Dazzat

First Grade
Which selections would you change? Obviously fullback, but who would you put there? I don't think Griffin made an error in naming Maranta there, assuming it is just in defense. Hodges isn't up to 80 mins worth of fullback duties and anyone else would be a gamble at this point. He was selected as QLD residents fullback in his debut season. I don't think he has what it takes to be a long term first grader but no one else is screaming to be picked.

I think if you're gonna have a go at the selections, that's fair enough but your alternative shouldn't just be to throw some kid in there for sake of it and hope he does well.

Imagine the 2018 season. Brisbane's backline's average age is 40, but oh ... you can't just throw some kid in there for sake of it and hope he does well.

Somewhere, sometime you have to give a kid a crack.

The Broncos is the biggest brand in Australian sport. Has enormous amounts of money. Huge talent catchment area.

How many young up-and-coming backs have we blooded in the last two years?

While all other clubs in the league roll out juniors like shelling peas, my club has no plan. The club should not be "throwing some kid out there", but should have a structured development and support plan for young players.

Griffin is not a club coach. He's a team coach that coaches for one team. Its obvious he is not a developmental club coach. He thinks from week to week - that's it.

The first grade team is now a closed shop. New comers are unwelcome it seems. If you're not in Griffin's clique, you're not in the team.

It's not about team selection against Newcastle, its about the stagnant pool that Griffin has created in the top grade, allowing no fresh, new talent into the environment. It's reflected in our dull, boring, predictable play.

As I said, its like the frog in the pot. We just take it for granted now that this is the reality at the club.

Snappy

Coach
I agree with you for the most part Daz. Other clubs are continuously blooding new players. Look at the Rabbitohs for example, but who have we brought in ? Wallace and Oats.

I've pretty much stopped caring this year. Season is gone. Just take a breath and look forward to next year when the whole place will get a shake up.

Bronco18

Juniors
3 weeks to go, each game is a must win. Now isn't exactly the time to blood a new player...

At this stage of the season, even a team like the Rabbittohs wouldn't put an up and comer in such a crucial position.

hooch is crazy

Juniors
I think there could have a been a few others that deserved a crack this year but to say the first grade side is on lockdown is just not true. Oates, Copley, Hunt, Hala and Reed are some off the top of my head who have been brought through to first grade standard by Griffin. Maranta is another who I can't put in the same 'first grade standard' category but came through under Griffin, nonetheless.

Gagai would be in the centres today if he hadn't forced them to sack him and Kahu would have had a crack at 5/8th if he hadn't been injured.

I'll agree that there soesn't seem to be a culture of fear for their job but consistency in the team lineup is an important part of success. He's backed the wrong horses in a few instances and continues to neglect the whip in a few others but I think there's a good mix of youth and experience in the side.

Damn you for forcing me to defend Griffin. Damn you to Hades.

Latest posts