What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 25 Schedule

skeepe

Immortal
nah, it's a queensland derby so it's understandable that it's on 9

So what? Brisbane won't win another game all year (well, apart from the Sharks game). I would much prefer to see a game where both teams have a chance of making the finals, such as Dragons vs Rabbitohs or Raiders vs Knights, than a game featuring at least one team who definately won't.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Hazem should respect our right to watch a worthwhile game. All that will happen is while they name the team they'll throw out a quick "He's been a great servant to the game" and just before cutting to the news they'll show him waving to the crowd.

Sadly in between we'll have to sit through a terrible game that no one cares about when we could of been watching a rivalry or two attacking teams go at it.

They did a great job of really celebrating him breaking the point scoring record remember? If you think they'll get more time to accomodate this you'll probably be mistaken.
What I see there is two assumptions, followed by someone with no clue talking about something he has no idea about. El Masri broke the record on a Saturday night in driving rain, first half, Saturday night on FOX SPORTS, not Channel 9. Nice try though.
So was Menzies.

The double header idea is a great one because more people could honour a retiring champion.

Maybe the NRL should keep that in mind for the future.
Menzies wasn't retiring. And what did Mayer do to get a decent farewell party happening for him? Did he go and ask the NRL? Given he got a Monday, I doubt it.
Please. If they shuttle him round on the back of a ute at a game, I'll stand & applaud.

We're fighting for relevance & market share in a cut-throat market, and you'd prefer to see a (virtually) meaningless game in front of a game that has some bearing on the finals?
Being the humble, quiet achiever that Hazeem seems to be - he's probably embarrassed by the attention.
Ch 9 should be too - but for different reasons.
Another assumption - how do you know it will be meaningless? Four weeks from now, the Warriors could be trying to avoid the spoon, and the 'Dogs could be contesting the minor premiership. Who knows? I'd be more concerned about games like last night's Wests v Manly game being shunted to Monday.
Rabbits v Saints will still get a massive crowd on Saturday anyway IMO.
I agree Hazem legend of the game but as coming from a manly supporter steve menzies didnt get a sunday arvo farewelll that he deserved typical NRL
Dunno how many times I have to repeat myself...

sting

Bench
I would argue that Hazem has plenty of fans around Australia. I'm certainly one of them.

i would argue that more people not in sydney would rather see saints v rabbitohs than hazem. besides, you're in canberra it's hardly too far away.

So what? Brisbane won't win another game all year (well, apart from the Sharks game). I would much prefer to see a game where both teams have a chance of making the finals, such as Dragons vs Rabbitohs or Raiders vs Knights, than a game featuring at least one team who definately won't.

it will be a sh*t game as well, i'd rather see titans vs tigers or something.

but i can understand why they've done it cause they have their queensland audience to please. doesn't matter anyway cause it will be on delay down in nsw

Timmah

Staff member
no i didn't know that:roll:

what's that got to do with anything? the vast majority of his fans would be in sydney? i don't get your point
You honestly think the Bulldogs only have support in the Sydney basin? :lol: Wow.
The Dogs will almost certainly get a home final the next weekend anyway.
How does one get a home final in Round 26? :sarcasm:

ByRd

First Grade
funny its Dragon fans whinging, some things in life never change and i thought when the promotion of all members getting entry was announced it was pretty obvious it was going to be a Sunday game, suck it up people

Timmah

Staff member
Turn the situation around sting - can you imagine the blow-up if the Dogs v Warriors was 5:30 Saturday or shafted to MNF?

The Rabbits v Dragons game isn't in a terrible timeslot really, it's still accessible to everyone after work if they work on a Saturday, it doesn't conflict with any kids sports, and it's not too late to then go out afterwards for those so inclined.

sting

Bench
You honestly think the Bulldogs only have support in the Sydney basin? :lol: Wow.

How does one get a home final in Round 26? :sarcasm:

learn to read, i said majority. meaning most of their fans would be in sydney.

as an example for you, if the bulldogs had 50,000 fans and 40,000 of them lived in sydney it would mean the majority of their fans lived in sydney.

does that make sense for you?

dragondad

First Grade
If Souths are still in the finals race,I still think it can get 25k.

What did the Charity Shield get this year,26k?

sting

Bench
Turn the situation around sting - can you imagine the blow-up if the Dogs v Warriors was 5:30 Saturday or shafted to MNF?

The Rabbits v Dragons game isn't in a terrible timeslot really, it's still accessible to everyone after work if they work on a Saturday, it doesn't conflict with any kids sports, and it's not too late to then go out afterwards for those so inclined.

it should be in one of those timeslots!

i don't mind when the saints game is on cause i'm going corporate box styles :cool: and saturday night works best for me,

i'm saying it will be one of the worst games of the round and probably should be in one of those timeslots. the beaver went out on a monday night, why can't haz? no disrespect to him cause he's a champ, but no player is bigger than the game.

why can't raiders v knights get the slot? titans vs tigers? they're also far more deserving games

brokendigit

Juniors
Another assumption - how do you know it will be meaningless? Four weeks from now, the Warriors could be trying to avoid the spoon, and the 'Dogs could be contesting the minor premiership. Who knows? I'd be more concerned about games like last night's Wests v Manly game being shunted to Monday.
Rabbits v Saints will still get a massive crowd on Saturday anyway IMO.

I'm not assuming anything. The same way I don't want to watch a Cronulla or Easts game at this stage of the season is the exact same reason that I don't want to have to sit through a New Zealand game.
It has extremely limited appeal - unless you're suggesting that the 'Race for the Spoon' is actually a showpiece event that I've somehow overlooked for many years?!
And Canterbury competing for the Minor Premiership? St George are currently paying $1.03 for that silverware. Would the bookies & the vast majority of the population know something that you don't, y'think?
Souths & StGeorge will draw well - the only thing you've been correct about.

Timmah

Staff member
You're example is dumb because you have absolutely no idea what the numbers are, let alone the percentages.

Brutus

Referee
Well done NRL for putting Hazem's last game on a Sunday arvo.

Has the potential to be the biggest Sydney premiership crowd of the season.

Could also be the final chance for Kiwis living in Australia to see Stacey go around so a good selection.

thommo4pm

Coach
funny its Dragon fans whinging, some things in life never change and i thought when the promotion of all members getting entry was announced it was pretty obvious it was going to be a Sunday game, suck it up people

I think you'll find there is 1 Dragon fan complaining in this thread, the rest are not Dragons fans.

skeepe

Immortal
learn to read, i said majority. meaning most of their fans would be in sydney.

as an example for you, if the bulldogs had 50,000 fans and 40,000 of them lived in sydney it would mean the majority of their fans lived in sydney.

does that make sense for you?

El Masri's popularity extends beyond the boundaries of the Bulldogs supporter base.

ByRd

First Grade
yeh i know but couldnt resist loll

but in all seriousness i dont understand the big deal, as others have said it has the potential to crack the 40k mark and that is a big deal

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
Need it be reminded that this game will be FREE to all members of every club. Everyone is going to get free tickets.

thommo4pm

Coach
yeh i know but couldnt resist loll

but in all seriousness i dont understand the big deal, as others have said it has the potential to crack the 40k mark and that is a big deal

I don't have an issue with you guys getting the Sunday game. Good luck to you and to El-Masri's last home game, and I hope it does draw 40k +
The bigger the crowd the better as far as I'm concerned.

I'll still be attending the Saints match no matter which day or timeslot they got.
All other Saints fans and Souths fans should get there also...no reason why our game cant crack 30K and the Dogs game past 40K the following day.
2 Sydney crowds of over 30K on the one weekend would be great for the game.

Timmah's idea about the double header was the best possible idea, it's a shame that the NRL didn't have the foresight to think of this.

Latest posts