What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 25 v Storm @ AAMI Park

betcats

Referee
Last one, is May the answer at hookerfir now? Katoa was better then he has been lately but still isn’t quite getting it right. May is solid, can pass, tackle and run and usually reads the fake well.

betcats

Referee
Found him!

Its ok though, he's now seen the light!

He was better earlier in the year, the whole team has been playing terribly lately Dallin in particular. He was one of our best each week when we were in our best form this season though.

Abacus

Juniors
He was better earlier in the year, the whole team has been playing terribly.
He definitely had a couple of good games - I think @umina panther shamed me into admitting I was wrong after 1 of them.

Ultimately its his consistency that stops him being a viable long term FB. You're just never confident what you'll get from him.

martielang

Bench
Last one, is May the answer at hookerfir now? Katoa was better then he has been lately but still isn’t quite getting it right. May is solid, can pass, tackle and run and usually reads the fake well.

Katoa made one error. His distribution & decisions were terrific for the most part, outplayed his opposite number, the best 9 in history. Harsh marker.

May isn’t a Hooker, good footballer but his passing & movement around the ruck are pretty average. Might be in the minority but I don’t think May would currently be my 14. If we’re using our utility purely as Hooker I think Egan has to be our 14 with Katoa at 9 or vice versa.

Katoa made one error. His distribution & decisions were terrific for the most part, outplayed his opposite number, the best 9 in history. Harsh marker.

May isn’t a Hooker, good footballer but his passing & movement around the ruck are pretty average. Might be in the minority but I don’t think May would currently be my 14. If we’re using our utility purely as Hooker I think Egan has to be our 14 with Katoa at 9 or vice versa.
Will need someone like Cartwright who can cover the backline on the bench if we go this way. CHN leaving hurts us a bit here but Yeo helps.

tripster

Juniors
Will need someone like Cartwright who can cover the backline on the bench if we go this way. CHN leaving hurts us a bit here but Yeo helps.

It is a weakness for us once Peach leaves next year. Peach is a way more versatile utility than May. I couldn't see May playing centre. His positions seem limited in 1st grade to 5/8 or 13. I don't really rate him as a 9.

Having watched the ISP final yesterday, we don't have any first grade quality depth in the centres in ISP or on the wing (Ratu Tuisese might turn out to be a 1st grade quality winger, but he'd be a while off debuting). We are signing MWZ who can't even make 1st grade at the Tigers on the wing.

If Blake or Whare go down next season we will be really f**ked. Yeo can cover temporarily but it weakens our middle and reduces our attack.

OldPanther

Coach
It is a weakness for us once Peach leaves next year. Peach is a way more versatile utility than May. I couldn't see May playing centre. His positions seem limited in 1st grade to 5/8 or 13. I don't really rate him as a 9.

Having watched the ISP final yesterday, we don't have any first grade quality depth in the centres in ISP or on the wing (Ratu Tuisese might turn out to be a 1st grade quality winger, but he'd be a while off debuting). We are signing MWZ who can't even make 1st grade at the Tigers on the wing.

If Blake or Whare go down next season we will be really f**ked. Yeo can cover temporarily but it weakens our middle and reduces our attack.

MWZ was really good for the Tigers. They were stupid for dropping him.

OldPanther

Coach
Now that the regular is done.

giphy.gif

betcats

Referee

It was a glaring error on the last tackle. Pass the ball to the half so he can kick, there’s no need from for him to run a no look pass in that situation. Thrse are momentum killers and he’s been coming up with one or two each week. It won’t hurt him to play off the bench, it might even help him. He had 2 runs for 5 metres, we don’t need a lot out of dummy half but if we are getting no running the service has to be spot on all the time, especially in those critical moments. Don’t get me wrong I’m a big fan of Katoa but a no look pass to the ground at the wrong time could be hugely costly in a finals game.

Mays an out an footballer, not a long term option but if his service is solid he can do everything else.

I would’ve thought May would struggle with the pace at hooker for an extended period. He’s quite big at the moment.

If it’s just on point passing we’re after surely Egan can do the job?

betcats

Referee
To be fair to Katoa that is just inexperience... All the options are in the same boat

True. He keeps coming up with unforced errors at crucial times, it gets frustrating.

Right now we just need someone to do a Wallace like hooking job, keep it simple and get the forwards and halves clean ball. Katoa can come off the bench and add a little bit around the ruck after we get rolling.

betcats

Referee
I would’ve thought May would struggle with the pace at hooker for an extended period. He’s quite big at the moment.

If it’s just on point passing we’re after surely Egan can do the job?

He will eventually, his passing can let him down. Let him keep going with isp.

tripster

Juniors
MWZ was really good for the Tigers. They were stupid for dropping him.

I think Ivan is a pretty good judge of potential and good at getting the maximum out of even average players. The fact MWZ couldn’t secure a starting spot at the Tigers suggests he isn’t any better than a reserve grader. I’ve never seen anything from his performances to suggest anything more.

Latest posts