What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 25 vs. Manly Discussion + Voting

Chainshada

Juniors
I just don't get the hype of Baptiste on these boards..sure I don't watch QCup and rarely watch Toyota Cup..but the 2-3 times I've seen him play..he hasn't impressed me at all.

Sure he's only played limited minutes and is always on the bench, but I never saw him produce any plays that Macca couldn't/doesn't.

AceAv

Juniors
I like baps a lot. But I get it. We need to see more of him... Capwell has yet to impress me at all.

A great win here and over the panties and other results go our way. We can finish as high as 6th yayyy

beads6

First Grade
I just don't get the hype of Baptiste on these boards..sure I don't watch QCup and rarely watch Toyota Cup..but the 2-3 times I've seen him play..he hasn't impressed me at all.

Sure he's only played limited minutes and is always on the bench, but I never saw him produce any plays that Macca couldn't/doesn't.

How can you get the hype when you have hardly seen him play. At least you were honest about your uninformed opinion. :roll:

IBA

Juniors
I like his defence, I like his speed out of dummy half which seems to lead to some good service. He seems to get the team rolling forward like a good dummy should. Don't know much about his kicking game but he just strikes me as a sharp dummy player and I'd much rather watch him for 10 minutes a game, than Capewell.

unbreaK

Juniors
I went to High School with Kurt & Dale and was pretty much in every class with them from 8-12, so my opinion on them might be a bit biased, but I think Kurt is a gun and deserves to be somewhere in squad, even if on the bench.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
It is very possible that he won't be so effective at NRL level. But I think he has paid his dues now and deserves at least an extended shot at it. In any case, he can't do any worse than Capewell. Beads could be right, we might have lost him.

And BP, from what I have seen, the only thing lacking for Baptiste is his kicking game. His service is generally excellent and he is also good at try assists close to the line, putting big guys through holes. But as I've said before, it's hard to compare when the standard of the comps is so different. Capewell smashes it at QLD cup level as well.

I think McCullough is generally overrated. It really annoys the crap out of me when they compare him with Smith. Just because he plays 3 games a year like that, doesn't mean anything. Smith plays like Smith every week.

I guess I should say something relevant to the thread. GoTheBroncs!

Big Pete

Referee
I'm not saying he's poor in those aspects, just isn't as good as McCullough in them either. His service has always been a bit patchy, always throws the odd ball out the back or one around the toes but in first grade he just couldn't get the boys rolling. Maybe it's because of a lack of cohesion but it really stood out to me. As well as his defence.

I've been calling for Baptiste since it became apparent Norman was going to get the five eigth gig so ya'll preaching to the choir really but I don't think he has as much to offer all-round as Macca although it's definitely close.

I just hope Macca takes it up a notch next year. He's sort of hit a plateau where he's merely just solid.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I just hope Macca takes it up a notch next year. He's sort of hit a plateau where he's merely just solid.

That's the real problem with Macca. Weren't we saying the same thing last year? "That he needs to step it up next year"... I think he has had enough experience now where we can expect him to be at a reasonably high level consistently.

On the game tonight, I think in the last two weeks we have played pretty close to our potential (particularly last week). I think if both teams play to their potential we lose. So we need to play to our potential and hope for Manly to have a slightly off game. Which is plausible, so we obviously have a chance.

They do have a couple of injuries, but not really to their key guys, so effectively their team is full strength. Stewart^2, Wotmong, Trex, Lyon etc are all X-factors for their team.

Leagueaddict

Juniors
I think McCullough is generally overrated. It really annoys the crap out of me when they compare him with Smith. Just because he plays 3 games a year like that, doesn't mean anything. Smith plays like Smith every week.

I guess I should say something relevant to the thread. GoTheBroncs!

Yeah McCulloughs not a patch on Smith of course with all Smiths experience on the paddock but he has all the promise of a Smith. Apart from his up and down form the thing about McCullough that worries me is he's not fast enough out of dummy half and doesn't
draw his man enough to the line. Smith's darting out at least 3 out of 5 while Maccas lucky to do it twice and not half as fast. I know
you need your forwards on their game and have a good quick roll on but not sure if it's a match fitness thing or he just hasn't got it in
him? I'm sure with more experience he'll tighten up all areas of his game. Let's hope he has a big impact tonight!

AceAv

Juniors
Gettin nervous now. Feels a bit like last year's trip to Sydney to take on Manly. But the benifits are we are basically full strength with a good week to prepare and they are coming off 5 days with:

Late Mail: Jason King is likely to be ruled out with a shoulder injury. Darcy Lussick is expected to replace him at prop. Jamie Buhrer has been cleared of concussion and Matt Ballin is likely to play despite a calf injury.

*Additionally their top try scorer williams is out. Pretty tragic for the wolfman considering his ability. But no Manly player cried for Lockyer ;)

They still in my mind are the no#1 team with their 'X-Factor' Players in Foran, Evans, Stewartx2, Mattai & even Rose can pull off a great interchange... Will expect this game to be a contest to the end. Hopefully we get our kicking game right if we find ourselves 2 pts in front in the final 3 minutes....

Behold

Juniors
I think we forget how young McCullough is still, 22. I am happy he is playing more consistent footy this year than he did last year. He still has plenty of time to improve and like most hookers they get better with age. If his skills don't improve he should be beefed up a bit so he can carry the ball more often. I have liked what I have seen from Baptiste but he isn't kicking in the door and Macca hasn't deserved being dropped this year, yes Baptiste should probably be there ahead of Capewell but Capewell like Hunt offered more cover than just Hooker and that is obviously something Griffin thinks is necessary in the bench utility. I am actually more of the frame of mind that Whitchurch who can offer cover in the backs and forwards is more hard done by particularly with Norman and Hoffman on the field already.

On tonights game - I am looking forward too it I kind of get the feeling we are going to either lose by a couple of points or win by 30.

Leagueaddict

Juniors
yea agree with most of what you've said here except for the last bit. We'll either get over the line by a couple of points or get flogged! Hope it's a tight one!:)

Chainshada

Juniors
How can you get the hype when you have hardly seen him play. At least you were honest about your uninformed opinion. :roll:

Hey I just figured that with the way you people talk about him like he's the second coming, I figured he'd actually, you know, perform well and be somewhat memorable other than "that really short guy".

kickback

Juniors
All i can say is good luck boys, play like its finals footy. I'm pleased with what i have seen over the last 2 weeks. We need you forwards to get over them early at Brookvale to silence the crowed, than we have the backs to do the job. Brookvale is only another ground, get in there and smash them in defence. Go the mighty Broncos

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Someone has got to rally a group together and march down to Red Hill and just tell them "look, guys, this shit cannot go on. Wallace has to go and we need a Fullback that can actually do something".

Latest posts