What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 25 vs Panthers

Life's Good

Coach
No one is more disappointed than myself that we have finished so poorly when our early season form promised so much, but for some to say we dont deserve to be in the finals is really not true.....if we finish on 30 points then we do, because we have amassed the required number of points..........lets face it no one has done us any favours that I can remember this season
You're right there. My thoughts on not deserving to be there are based purely on how poor we played in the run of losses (Titans, Bunnies etc.)which isn't what a good side would let happen. I think we are a good side but struggle to comprehend that little seemed to be done to arrest the slide and we now find ourselves death riding others on the comp when it shouldn't have been the case. Anyway, Go Saints!!

jeffdragon

Bench
You're right there. My thoughts on not deserving to be there are based purely on how poor we played in the run of losses (Titans, Bunnies etc.)which isn't what a good side would let happen. I think we are a good side but struggle to comprehend that little seemed to be done to arrest the slide and we now find ourselves death riding others on the comp when it shouldn't have been the case. Anyway, Go Saints!!
Other teams fans like raiders eagles and cows dont want us to win, just like we dont want them to win

BankstownDragon

Juniors
I write this in much pain and frustration!
A lot of us fans believe we dont deserve to be there as we had an easy draw, if there is such a thing.
Also we did not have a massive injury toll like in some previous years.
We lost many games v teams that had nothing to play for, were performing very poorly at the time (again playing teams into form).
What else has to happen before we deliver, another review maybe????
We have had to suffer years of disapointments and most were hoping for better, making the 8 the minimum requirement....but again here we sit...another year gone.
I know there is a chance we can still make it but I wrote us off weeks ago when I posted "despite our easy draw we wont make it" whilst praying I was wrong....still hope I am. My reason was not rocket science, teams have worked us out and our gun coach has NO plan B, nor a varaition on plan A.
Sorry to be negative.
Go the Saints.

Of course they don't. I am just disappointed that our season has come to the 'mathematical chance' situation when for the the last 2 rounds we should be resting players and getting ready for a decent crack at the semis. It still may happen.

The only rest the players get will be on thier end of season trip which is booked for Monday week.

MilanDragon

Juniors
I write this in much pain and frustration!
A lot of us fans believe we dont deserve to be there as we had an easy draw, if there is such a thing.
Also we did not have a massive injury toll like in some previous years.
We lost many games v teams that had nothing to play for, were performing very poorly at the time (again playing teams into form).
What else has to happen before we deliver, another review maybe????
We have had to suffer years of disapointments and most were hoping for better, making the 8 the minimum requirement....but again here we sit...another year gone.
I know there is a chance we can still make it but I wrote us off weeks ago when I posted "despite our easy draw we wont make it" whilst praying I was wrong....still hope I am. My reason was not rocket science, teams have worked us out and our gun coach has NO plan B, nor a varaition on plan A.
Sorry to be negative.
Go the Saints.

The easy draw part is only having to play melbourne and brisbane once each I assume?

While we haven't had asognoficsnt amount of injuries this year, we have played the whole season without our first choice 7, our captain and international 6 missed about a month (we haven't been the same since), our international prop has been injured, our international fullback missed a fair bit of time, our first choice centre (Aitken) has missed the majority of the season. However, every team has injuries.

I think our lack of preparation or ability to play without those guys has been the killer for us. That does come down to lack of 'systems' and structure in place across the squad.

grouch

First Grade
The easy draw part is only having to play melbourne and brisbane once each I assume?

While we haven't had asognoficsnt amount of injuries this year, we have played the whole season without our first choice 7, our captain and international 6 missed about a month (we haven't been the same since), our international prop has been injured, our international fullback missed a fair bit of time, our first choice centre (Aitken) has missed the majority of the season. However, every team has injuries.

I think our lack of preparation or ability to play without those guys has been the killer for us. That does come down to lack of 'systems' and structure in place across the squad.
These are Mary-esque excuses.

The Cowboys have played without their future Immortal halfback for most of the season, and their captain and world's best front rower the entire season. Yet they're ahead of us.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Moylan out which is scary because Tyrone May will probably partner Cleary and Cleary plays much better when May is beside him than Moylan.

Saints need to target Waqa Blake. The guy is a liability. Damaging runner but has sloppy defence and not good under the ball. They will get plenty of joy focusing on him. I know a few Penrith fans who think of him as we do of McCrone.

dragonreddy

Juniors

I think our lack of preparation or ability to play without those guys has been the killer for us. That does come down to lack of 'systems' and structure in place across the squad.[/QUOTE]

Comes down to having a coach that isn't a coach and as much as i loved Dean Young and Benny Hornby they have no place being anywhere near the coaches box. All the things you've mentioned are just excuses and they are nothing different to what other teams seem to deal with in much better fashion than us.
Mary quick to pat himself on the back when everything was going well ,hasn't taken ownership of the 5 from the last 15 though.

Widdop has missed way more than a month if you count the time that he seems to go missing while playing.

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL Preview: Round 25
Wed 23rd August, 03:00PM
A A

Penrith Panthers v St George Illawarra Dragons
Pepper Stadium
Sunday, 4pm

St George Illawarra's season is well and truly on the line at Pepper Stadium against the Penrith Panthers this weekend.

The abacuses and calculators aren't required yet as the equation remains simple for the Dragons – win the last two games and a finals berth will look after itself.

The Panthers secured their place in the NRL Telstra Premiership finals series with a nail-biting win over the Raiders last weekend, and can't be taken lightly.

Although they have lost their skipper Matt Moylan, Penrith will be boosted by the return of Peter Wallace to face the Red V.

Nene Macdonald (knee) has been named to return for the Dragons and replaces Scottish international Euan Aitken (shoulder) who is out for the season and consequently the 2017 Rugby League World Cup.

Leeson Ah Mau and Tariq Sims swap between the bench and the front row, while Hame Sele (illness) occupies Will Matthews's place on the interchange.

Tyson Frizell will also celebrate his 100th NRL game as a Dragon against Penrith.

Teams –

Panthers: 1. Dylan Edwards, 2. Josh Mansour, 3. Tyrone Peachey, 4. Waqa Blake, 5. Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, 6. Tyrone May, 7. Nathan Cleary, 8. James Tamou, 9. Peter Wallace (c), 10. Reagan Campbell-Gillard, 11. Corey Harawira-Naera, 12. Isaah Yeo, 13. James Fisher-Harris. Interchange: 14. Sione Katoa, 15. Bryce Cartwright, 16. Tim Browne, 17. Trent Merrin, 18. Moses Leota, 19. Dean Whare, 20. Viliame Kikau, 21. Kaide Ellis.

Dragons: 1.Matt Dufty, 2. Nene Macdonald, 3. Josh Dugan, 4. Tim Lafai, 5. Jason Nightingale, 6. Gareth Widdop (c), 7. Kurt Mann, 8. Leeson Ah Mau, 9. Cameron McInnes, 10. Paul Vaughan, 11. Tyson Frizell, 12. Joel Thompson, 13. Jack de Belin. Interchange: 14. Tariq Sims, 15. Hame Sele, 16. Blake Lawrie, 17. Josh McCrone, 18. Taane Milne, 19. Kalifa Faifai Loa, 20. Luciano Leilua, 21. Will Matthews

Key Match-Up: Dylan Edwards v Matt Dufty – The young custodians have added a spark to their teams' attack since donning their respective No. 1 jumper. Edwards has produced 186.6 metres on average and five try assists in 13 games since Moylan's move to the halves. Dufty is no slouch either and has opened many eyes with his livewire influence. In five games, Dufty has averaged 123.6 metres and had a hand in three tries.

The History: Played 31; Panthers 12, Dragons 19. The Dragons have had the wood over the Panthers in recent seasons, winning their past three. However this is off the back of the Penrith not losing to the Red V throughout the 2012-14 seasons. St George Illawarra won their last clash by 32 points way back in Round 1 at UOW Jubilee Oval.

Match Officials: Referee: Gerard Sutton. Assistant Referee: Ben Cummins. Sideline Officials: Brett Suttor and Michael Wise.

Televised: Channel Nine – Live coverage from 3:30pm; Fox League – Live coverage from 3:30pm.

Radio: ABC and Triple M

Social: Ensure you are across the Dragons' social media platforms on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/08/23/nrl_preview_round_25.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Do or die fortnight for St George Illawarra Dragons starting with Penrith Panthers clash
Andrew Parkinson
23 Aug 2017, 7 a.m.
r399_163_3343_1521_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

In their hands: Dragons captain Gareth Widdop catches a high kick against Brisbane on Friday night. Picture: Dan Peled/AAP Image

If there is a silver lining to come out of last weekend it is that St George Illawarra now have their finals destiny in their own hands.

Despite going down to Brisbane on Friday night and losing Country Origin centre Euan Aitken to a season-ending shoulder injury, St George Illawarra now find themselves with a simple equation – win their final two matches against Penrith and Canterbury and they will be playing finals football.

The Dragons were able to put it to the Broncos in a 24-12 loss despite injuries and a flu bug that swept through the squad, leaving more than a dozen players sick for the clash.

And with other results going their way on the weekend, including North Queensland’s loss to Cronulla and Manly’s dismal performance against the Bulldogs, the Dragons will reach the top eight if they can lift again over the next fortnight starting with Penrith at Pepper Stadium on Sunday.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor said he saw enough in that defeat to Brisbane to suggest St George Illawarra have what it takes.

“There’s a few blokes there that were pretty ill. We lost Nene [Macdonald on Thursday] at training. [Tyson Frizell] limped off but played. Certainly the nine-day turnaround is going to help that,” he said.

“And we know what we’ve got to do, we’ve just got to go out and do it. Penrith are a quality team. Canterbury have obviously had a disappointing year but it’s the last game of the year so they’re going to get up.

“It’s still up to us. If we finish on 30 points our for and against is good. We’ve just got to win, that’s the truth of it.

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/4...head-of-do-or-die-clash-with-penrith/?cs=3833

Cagey Mac

Bench
If the manly and cows win.
We might as well throw the ball around like who cares.
It might just work.
Was going for the 3cs last week
2/3won except Canberra.
Will cheer for tigers warriors and us
2/3 might be enough.
Hopefully one of those wins are us
Dont want to see merrin do another dressing room dance.
Its a about annoying as interviewing thaiday after every broncos game on 9.

If we win it doesn't matter if the other two win
A win puts us two behind Panthers with a better differential
Two also behind Cowboys and Manly again with better differential
Sure we need to beat the dogs but that was always the case
Penrith play Manly Rd 26 so one must lose
If we win and Manly lose then we end up 8th even if we lost to the Dogs
If the Cows lose and we beat Penrith then likewise we end up in front of them
Two wins would see us potentially in 6th and most likely playing Panthers in the finals
We have a pretty good chance of going deeper too

Kilkenny

Coach
Moylan out which is scary because Tyrone May will probably partner Cleary and Cleary plays much better when May is beside him than Moylan.

Saints need to target Waqa Blake. The guy is a liability. Damaging runner but has sloppy defence and not good under the ball. They will get plenty of joy focusing on him. I know a few Penrith fans who think of him as we do of McCrone.

I don't know where you get your inside info about Waqa Blake from. He is still young still learning and capable of a mistake or two but I don't know about liability thou?

Here's hoping for a great battle and may the best team on the day get the two points with no controversy!

SEAT 1A

Bench
If we win it doesn't matter if the other two win
A win puts us two behind Panthers with a better differential
Two also behind Cowboys and Manly again with better differential
Sure we need to beat the dogs but that was always the case
Penrith play Manly Rd 26 so one must lose
If we win and Manly lose then we end up 8th even if we lost to the Dogs
If the Cows lose and we beat Penrith then likewise we end up in front of them
Two wins would see us potentially in 6th and most likely playing Panthers in the finals
We have a pretty good chance of going deeper too

Thanks for that Cagey Mac.

Win both games we are in and if we are going to do anything in the finals the teams needs a good performance against Penrith.

If the cards fall our way, 6th and hopefully Dogs have their minds on their trip away and lick their wounds.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Thommo is the key to us winning this game. Three tries the last time we played them and I will be looking for you to do the same. Good opportunity for Mann and Widdop to do some fancy cutouts and open up the space beyond Thommo I think this is where we can win the game.
Duges hopefully it's up for the game of his life and get back into some form.
Dragons by 4

Dugan shouldn't even be in the team after last week he was worse then woeful but will get selected.

Widdop hasn't got a fancy bone in his body so i don't see him doing anything other then the crap he's been doing for most of the season.

Add to that a coach who is an absolute turd.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Penrith might be looking for revenge but if our forwards turn up for this game and Widdop and Mann and Dufty get there houses in order it will be a very welcoming performance and it won't be close.watch for the boys to give merrin a torrid time I can see JDB giving Trent nightmares.THE BIG RED Vvvv by 16