What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 25 vs Titans

Vinnie

Juniors
Sorry for double paste but i would like everyone thoughts on below please.

The fact that McGregor chose to play Robson at 9 (when it's known he'll be gone next year) and not the most experienced and obvious choice of Hunt (who mind you is good enough to play 9 at origin level, to me indicates one of the following:

1. Coach has lost the Dressing room and certain players dictate where they want to play ie Hunt will play 7 or nothing
2. Coach can't back down from those now infamous word when he signed Hunt " I know have the team i want" and won't admit mistakes.
3. Coach too stubborn to listen and has a serious trust issues with giving younger players a run.
4. Like myself and most others have no answer and just don't know what the f**k is going on !!! Is it a conspiracy ??? I'm just lost .

fans please help i'm just confused

hazzbeen

Bench
Another stroke of genius from Super coach

Tristan Sailor on the wing. Why?

The fool could have played Hunt at 9 freeing Robson to play in CC semis and played young Sailor in the halves.

The young bloke is highly skilled.

Rucking the ball out from our 20 is not his go.
Go the Titans , it would finish my season off with great joy to get smashed .... The club has made me this way , never thought I would ever hope for a loss , Go you Titans ...

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Sorry for double paste but i would like everyone thoughts on below please.

The fact that McGregor chose to play Robson at 9 (when it's known he'll be gone next year) and not the most experienced and obvious choice of Hunt (who mind you is good enough to play 9 at origin level, to me indicates one of the following:

1. Coach has lost the Dressing room and certain players dictate where they want to play ie Hunt will play 7 or nothing
2. Coach can't back down from those now infamous word when he signed Hunt " I know have the team i want" and won't admit mistakes.
3. Coach too stubborn to listen and has a serious trust issues with giving younger players a run.
4. Like myself and most others have no answer and just don't know what the f**k is going on !!! Is it a conspiracy ??? I'm just lost .

fans please help i'm just confused

Your item 1 was my first thought. Hunt has told him to jam it, he'll play halfback for the club or not at all.

Datramp

Juniors
As much as I would like to see the titans flog us to seal Mary's fate, Widdop deserves better than that in his final match for us.

sa1nt5

Juniors
Another stroke of genius from Super coach

Tristan Sailor on the wing. Why?

The fool could have played Hunt at 9 freeing Robson to play in CC semis and played young Sailor in the halves.

The young bloke is highly skilled.

Rucking the ball out from our 20 is not his go.
Yeah this is a no brainer to not see this is to not look. I blame the magistrate that failed in civic duty to jail this muppet when he stayed up all night sinking piss only to jump in his car and drive putting the lives of everyone on the road at risk

sa1nt5

Juniors
I agree Hazz and I reckon the Titans will have another 20 thousand supporters cheering them to a huge victory tonight from many a lounge room.
Yeah I left them a please roll us note on their forum the place is a ghost town like this forum will be if heads are not removed from ass in short

St George 1977

Juniors
Was lucky and got corporate tickets from work. I’ll be cheering the red V. If I was at home I’d probably be cheering the tits. Sad for Widdop playing for us under such a rubbish coach. I thought he would of helped us to a premiership. Great kicking game that has gone to waste under the bald one.

getsmarty

Immortal
widdopg-180424-gp-24.jpg

DRAGONS

Widdop rated alongside Bishop and Bolton
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sat 7 Sep 2019, 08:01 AM
walterbrad-head.png

Former Great Britain international and leading commentator Mike Stephenson has declared departing St George Illawarra captain Gareth Widdop as one of the greatest English backs to have played in Australia and called for a trophy to be named in his honour.

Widdop, who will make his final NRL appearance against Gold Coast on Saturday, has played more premiership matches (194) and scored more points (995) than any other Englishman, won a grand final with Melbourne in 2012, and captained the Dragons for the past three seasons.

Stephenson said Widdop was the best English playmaker of the NRL era and compared him alongside legendary halfbacks Tommy Bishop and Dave Bolton as one of the greatest in premiership history.

"There have been some great English players, like Tommy Bishop (Cronulla 1969-73), Dave Bolton (Balmain 1965-70) and Dick Huddart (St George 1964-68) but I would certainly put Gareth Widdop up there with all of those very, very good players who came out and played in Australia," Stephenson said.

"He is one of the best imports of all time to have come from this country. There are not many who have taken on the world down in Australia, and not only taken them on but shown what they can do the way this lad has."

stat-attack-widdop_20190906.jpg

Bishop was a tough and wily halfback, who led the Sharks to their first grand final in 1973, Bolton kicked two field goals in the No.7 jersey as the Tigers upset South Sydney in the 1969 decider, and Huddart helped continued the Dragons premiership dominance in 1966 and 1967.

Stephenson, who was a member of Great Britain’s 1972 World Cup winning team and played hooker for Penrith from 1974 to 1978 before embarking on a 26-year broadcasting career with Sky TV in the UK, believes Widdop’s achievements should be officially recognised with a trophy named after him.

"I know they play for a Tommy Bishop Shield down in the Cronulla area and I think that it would be a nice tribute to this lad if they could do something similar, like giving the Widdop Trophy for the best junior coming through, because he has certainly left his mark on Australian rugby league," Stephenson said.

"I have met his father many, many times and he has always had the confidence that he would make it but he has not only made it, he has made it and gone to the very top."

Unlike most English players in the NRL, Widdop moved to Australia as a teenager and rose to prominence through the Melbourne Storm's junior ranks.

He was named in the 2009 NYC under 20s team of the year, along with Daly Cherry-Evans, Kieran Foran, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Jesse Bromwich and Trent Merrin, before making NRL debut for the Storm the following season.

Sam Burgess also made his NRL debut in 2010, while James Graham joined Canterbury in 2012. But it has only been in recent seasons that English players have moved to Australia in significant numbers, with 12 playing in this year's Telstra Premiership.

"Sam came across having a background in Super League and having a name whereas for myself I wasn't signed to play football but I had an opportunity to go to Melbourne and came through their system," Widdop said.

Titans v Dragons - Round 25

"As a young kid with no name and no background in rugby league to come across and get named in that team with all the talent that Australia has was something I am proud of and hopefully some other kids might have thought if he can do it so can I.

"It was good to be one of a few three or four English blokes playing in the NRL at the time and help set a trend for more English players to come out to play and be successful as well."

Widdop joined the Dragons in 2014 and is widely acknowledged as the club's best and most consistent player until a shoulder injury limited the 30-year-old Warrington-bound play maker to just nine appearances this season.

"From the day I got here until now I think there is only two [Tyson Frizell and Jack de Belin] others left so it has been a big rebuilding phase and I feel like we have improved a hell of a lot," Widdop said.

"I could have stayed in Melbourne and maybe played in more finals but I certainly have had no regrets. I feel like the move has helped me to develop as a player and a person. Becoming skipper of the club was a huge honour for myself and I would like to think I have played a small part in improving the team and the squad.

"Obviously this year has been disappointing and that is something that is going to hurt for a long time but I'd like to think that I have given everything that is possible, when I step over the white line on a weekend, and I am certainly proud of what I have been able to do at this club.”

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/09/07/widdop-rated-alongside-bishop-and-bolton/

Gareth67

First Grade
Yes the very best to both men Gareth and Jeremy for their time in the Big Red V .
Widdop deserved his accolades and has done a fine job , whilst Lattimore although running on tired legs , still managed to pull of one of the most remarkable feats of rugby league on a football field - causing Cameron Smith acute pain with his now infamous ‘ nut-twister ‘ Well done to both players and the very best to you both for the future. :innocent:

getsmarty

Immortal
widdopg-190316731-sd.jpg

TEAM LISTS

NRL late mail: Round 25 v Titans
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Sat 7 Sep 2019, 06:35 PM

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has finalised his 17 for the Dragons' Round 25 clash against the Gold Coast Titans at Cbus Super Stadium on Saturday, September 7.

Jacob Host and Matt Dufty are the two players to drop out of the 19 with the Dragons to run out 1-17.

Patrick Kaufusi and Zac Lomax (concussion) were the two players to drop out of the initial 21-man squad on Friday night.

NRL team for Round 25 v Gold Coast Titans –

1. Corey Norman – sponsored by Illawarra Mercury/St George & Sutherland Shire Leader
2. Tristan Sailor – sponsored by Tosich Group Construction
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by University of Wollongong
4. Tim Lafai – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
5. Jonus Pearson – sponsored by SMAI
6. Gareth Widdop (c) – sponsored by Dynamic Projects
7. Ben Hunt – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
8. James Graham – sponsored by EFEX
9. Reece Robson – sponsored by Floormania
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
11. Tyson Frizell – sponsored by Val Morgan
12. Jackson Ford – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
13. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski

Interchange:
14. Jeremy Latimore – sponsored by Dincel Construction System
15. Korbin Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
16. Luciano Leilua – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
17. Josh Kerr – sponsored by Domus Lighting

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/09/07/nrl-late-mail-round-25-v-titans/