What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 27 v Raiders

Gareth67

First Grade
Well after getting myself well and truly inebriated on black tea - that’s right gents , no milk , no sugar , potent stuff ! I have now come to the realisation that yet another season has come to a end with a resounding thud .

We have scored 64 points in our final 2 matches and we still could not secure a victory . As a number of other members have mentioned the Dragons have just too many park footballers in our squad .

Feel for Sua , JDB and Liddell among others , the others I would not waste my time on . Surely after today’s performance Flanagan must finally realise that Hunt must be given his marching orders if the team can move on and improve next year .

I don’t wish to go into great detail about the Dragons captain as we are all aware of his deficiencies , I will only say that I most sincerely hope that this is the last occasion that I need to mention his name .

Our boys fell to sleep in the 2nd half and that final miraculous try by Horsburge was simply blind luck . Not saying that they did not deserve their win , but it was certainly helped by our hot and cold moments by our players some of which simply are not up to NRL standards .

See you all here next season fellas and gals - regardless of what some have said you will be back again after a couple of weeks sulking - why ? Because we all have that red and white blood coursing through our veins ! 😇

Last edited:

bathtime

Juniors
how is it most people in here are super quick to jump all over the fullback when he misses a 1 on 1 on a bloke at least 20kgs heavier, and nothing is said of the front line who parted like it was the Red Sea?
Not absolving Sloan, just pointing out they have to break the line before it gets to him
Exactly. The stacks on Sloan always come after we lose. Sloan and Suli (lomax gone)are the only two backs that give us a chance.

Dragon David

First Grade
Well after getting myself well and truly inebriated on black tea , I have now come to the realisation that yet another season has come to a end with a resounding thud .

We have scored 64 points in our final 2 matches and we still could not secure a victory . As a number of other members have mentioned the Dragons have just too many park footballers in our squad .

Feel for Sua , JDB and Liddell among others , the others I would not waste my time on . Surely after today’s performance Flanagan must finally realise that Hunt must be given his marching orders if the team can move on so as the team can improve next year .

I don’t wish to go into great detail about the Dragons captain as we are all aware of his deficiencies , I will only say that I most sincerely hope that this is the last occasion that I need to mention his name .

Our boys fell to sleep in the 2nd half and that final miraculous try by Horsburge was simply blind luck . Not saying that they did not deserve their win , but it was certainly helped by our hot and cold moments by our players some of which simply are not up to NRL standards .

See you all here next season fellas and gals - regardless of what some have said you will be back again after a couple of weeks sulking - why ? Because we all have that red and white blood coursing through our veins ! 😇
All the best to you Gareth. Stay healthy and see you next year.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Well once again we have all been on the dragons roller coaster ride for another season
And as per normal we will climb back on and do it all again..

it will be another long off season and I'm sure we are in for quite a bit of change as flanno rings in more changes

Enjoy the offseason to all on the forum
Thanks for your comments on here....onward and dare I say upward

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Well after getting myself well and truly inebriated on black tea , I have now come to the realisation that yet another season has come to a end with a resounding thud .

Feel for Sua , JDB and Liddell among others , the others I would not waste my time on . Surely after today’s performance Flanagan must finally realise that Hunt must be given his marching orders if the team can move on so as the team can improve next year .

Well put Gareth....yes piss poor effort today except for 3 or 4.....unfortunately can't see much light moving into 2025 unless mass changes are made....but like you my blood shot eyes are still Red and White

BLM01

First Grade
how is it most people in here are super quick to jump all over the fullback when he misses a 1 on 1 on a bloke at least 20kgs heavier, and nothing is said of the front line who parted like it was the Red Sea?
Not absolving Sloan, just pointing out they have to break the line before it gets to him
Agree but Sloan still needs to learn to contact with the shoulder
The reason he missed Young in the 2nd half because he dived to early just trying to reach out to tackle
The 1st half try miss wax s lame effort
Still also no excuse for the front line either
They all got to do better

Well i was there today hoping that we’d learnt from last week and wouldn’t do it again. And for the first 20 mins we seemed to be on top. But slowly we returned to all the errors again and total lack of respect for the ball. A few things as usual stuck out
Hunt isnt a captain and isnt even a half back. So many times today he was behind the play either unfit or just disinterested. He threw a few stupid passes and the rest of the time just literally passed the ball without doing a thing. His 5th tackle kicks again just absolutely uninspiring and pedestrian. He surely has to be replaced- we cant have another year of having the worst half back in the comp
Sloan needs to learn to catch and tackle. Once again watched the ball bounce and didnt put his body on the line. And hes a turnstile in defense. Not sure how long we can carry such an appalling defender. We cant keep carrying excuses for every player who cant perform.
Feanai rushing out of the line and leaving holes plus again his awful defense. Again a very slow learner and we cant keep accepting these blatant shortfalls.
Lomax running backwards ( not the only one either) while trying to defend. Again totally stupid , and you cant tackle while running backwards. Great attack but awful defender.
The whole second half was one-off running and we stopped trying to attack. Why this team just falls apart like this is beyond me.
A lot of people i talked to today were happy because we’d done better than expected, but for me the last few weeks showed weve got some serious problems and Flanno needs to really make some hard decisions.
Seeing the team on the field at the end looking pretty happy really made me mad because missing the 8 didnt seem to bother them. Maybe its just me but that attitude never was acceptable at the Dragons ( Saints) until recently. I know theres always next year but to lose like that this year really got to me.
Wheres the pride? Seems its gone for good.
Only highlight was seeing the Dogs get smashed. Lowlight was getting yelled at by a Cronulla supporter on the was back to the car. All up a very unhappy day and a shit season

Old Timer

Coach
Season done and dusted and for mine the last 3 games said it all no consistency and no ability to lift for the games that ultimately define your season.

The best part of the year is that the Eels & Rabbits had absolute shockers and the Broncos even worse and as a result of that they all finished below us.

Long way to go and unless we can offload 4 or 5 can’t see us contesting semis next year either.

Hopefully come Nov 1 we will see a strengthening of the roster in critical positions.

saintmar

Juniors
For all this who think that we have had a good season and are on the improve
FACTS
2022 12 wins 12 loses 10th pd -100 HOOK
2024 11wins 13loses 11th pd -126 FLANO
Hook who was sacked with good reason in 2023 had a better 2022 the Fano in 2024
2023 Had 2 coaches Hook and Carr so can’t compare
We also know why Hunt is still here

KingFlanno7

Juniors
For all this who think that we have had a good season and are on the improve
FACTS
2022 12 wins 12 loses 10th pd -100 HOOK
2024 11wins 13loses 11th pd -126 FLANO
Hook who was sacked with good reason in 2023 had a better 2022 the Fano in 2024
2023 Had 2 coaches Hook and Carr so can’t compare
We also know why Hunt is still here
Boring.

dragon thomo

Juniors
we must remember that Flannagan didnt get the job until well into the off season. for this reason he did not have any chance to improve our squad. he had to go around and pick up scraps from other clubs to fill the squad. also he had to contend with Captain Miserable Ben Hunt, As much as i would like to see Hunt leave we have to get a half back to run the team. i feel once Flanagan gets an adequate half pairing Hunt will be shown the door.

Sloan Ranger

Juniors
Off topic a bit but I wonder now who the superstars where in the 2010 Premiership winning squad....certainly no immortals....but our defence was the best (points differential +219) and we had 'enforcers' in the forwards like Beau Scott & Jeremy Smith (if I rightly recall)....a champion team will always beat a team of champions.
  1. Darius Boyd - Fullback
  2. Brett Morris - Wing
  3. Mark Gasnier - Centre
  4. Matt Cooper - Centre
  5. Jason Nightingale - Wing
  6. Jamie Soward - Five-eighth
  7. Ben Hornby - Halfback (Captain)
  8. Neville Costigan - Prop
  9. Dean Young - Hooker*
  10. Michael Weyman - Prop
  11. Beau Scott - Second-row
  12. Ben Creagh - Second-row
  13. Jeremy Smith - Lock
Interchange: 14. Nathan Fien 15. Trent Merrin 16. Jarrod Saffy 17. Matt Prior
※Luke Priddis - dummy-half

Coach Wayne Bennett
And 3 good bench forwards. The game has always been about your forward pack. Holmes and Cook wont make any difference without better forwards.

Dragon David

First Grade
Can't stand the Sharks ever since their CEO (can't remember his name) cut up a Saints jersey in their restaurant one night after a game. I won't be cheering for them to win the premiership.
Yes I remember that incident Nana and it was -
"On ANZAC Day 1999, Cronulla CEO Peter Gow famously cut up a St. George jersey with a pair of scissors in front of onlookers at Cronulla's leagues club and ..."

That really got to me as well the bast..