What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 Dragons v Raiders

The Damo

Juniors
But Jesus we were awful at the start. I concentrated on doing h dishes instead. So glad I checked back, some actual decent football we played... Had to keep rubbing my eyes

30 torturous minutes

50 spirited, committed minutes with few errors.

Stuart is the kiss of death for any club he has coached.

We dug a huge hole for ourselves today, but to the credit of the whole side they pulled off an improbable win.

Special mention Aitken, after an early poor read in defence, a super game, was strong, elusive and energetic.

Captain Nightingale, full marks.

Forwards stood up.

Excellent last 30 minutes !

Mickthedragon

Juniors
Great win by the boys and we're off the mark....just.
Glad I have Aitken in my supercoach team, he is a gun and surely has stay in the team to develop a bit more.

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
whats up with this guy, get your shit together man. seems to have lost the plot. how hard is it to hold onto the pill.

Last edited:

This Year?

Immortal
When I'm giving it to the missus tonight I'll have my eyes closed and will be picturing Jason Nightingale.

Weipa Dragon

Juniors
This year you funny me. Jason night has my man love too. We were good for some time in that game. Not shit, bit bad, not average but good. Special mention to the second rowers. Rein needs Heath to drive him. Keep eto and marketo who played well above his weight. Rory might need the cutters again and we need packer next game. Merrin and cooper were solid. Halves... Still need work but very talented in their moment. One more good centre with aitken. Farrel just is not cutting it. Go you legendary saints

kit66

Bench
Great comeback there, the boys dug deep. That might just be the turning point for us now they know what it takes to get a win. I hope they can take that attitude and determination into the game next week against my most hated rivals Manly.
How good was Aitken, 180mtrs and no looking back, he must get the left centre spot for good. Frizzell tackled his heart out and him and Thompson were strong in attack. Nightie is Captain courageous and I miss Merrin already. O'Brien is working his way into 1sts nicely and Le Strange is really stirring things up.
We regained our first round composure in defence and discipline ( after 20mins ) and improved our attack, now all we need is for Benji to get his kicking game in order and for Widdop to have a little more vision ( when the opposition wing and centre go down injured, that's where you attack - immediately ).

Farrellol is a disgrace, can't tackle, kick, pass, and doesn't know what "support" means, honestly that attempt near the line was an embarrassment. He's been a liability for 3 weeks now. Hope Mary finally wakes up now and does what everyone sensible would do and pick Aitken and Mata'utia in the centres ( how come all the fans knew but our coaches were oblivious to this ). Starting Merrin would also be logical Mary, you goose.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
An observation and curious on others thoughts.
Our second phase play with an offload seems almost non-existent. Why do we not have the likes of Marshall, Widdop or Dugan following the ball playing forwards waiting for a sneaky pass?
I'm probably a little critical of Dugan here but if he wants the fullback spot with free reign around the park, he needs to be sniffing around the forwards. I just didn't see it.
If he can't do it like the Slaters or Moylans of the world, then I feel his days at fullback may be numbered with an inevitable shift to centre .
Very happy with the win and a sensational comeback from the boys once they hung on to the ball.
L'Estrange and Rein interchange is working and great individual try from Rein...well done.

BennyV

Referee
An observation and curious on others thoughts.
Our second phase play with an offload seems almost non-existent. Why do we not have the likes of Marshall, Widdop or Dugan following the ball playing forwards waiting for a sneaky pass?
I'm probably a little critical of Dugan here but if he wants the fullback spot with free reign around the park, he needs to be sniffing around the forwards. I just didn't see it.
If he can't do it like the Slaters or Moylans of the world, then I feel his days at fullback may be numbered with an inevitable shift to centre .
Very happy with the win and a sensational comeback from the boys once they hung on to the ball.
L'Estrange and Rein interchange is working and great individual try from Rein...well done.

I dont think its just Dugan - last week Peter M wasnt pushing up in support, in fact none of our players do and its ridiculous. Merrin, Friz and Cooper all tend to get arms free, we should have players ready to run onto it. Needs To be drilled into all of them.

Also, credit to Rein for a great try, but IMO l'Estrange needs to start, the difference in attack when he came on was huge.

watatank

Coach
They are too busy setting up for the next backline shift which involves the halves and fullback

Pretty sure Dugan has stated early in preseason he wanted to stay at centre and at the moment is playing like he should stay there.

TheRev

First Grade
Dugan should be right centre, Widdop would deadset carve oppositions up from fullback.. Dugan once again bombed a 1m pass to his winger, he is truly a broken player, but he does less damage from centre.

Aitken has the left or right centre spot depending on what Mary has lined up for Dugan.. And PMata is the backup for injury because frankly Dugan and Aitken are unlikely to stay fit all year.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Dugan should be right centre, Widdop would deadset carve oppositions up from fullback.. Dugan once again bombed a 1m pass to his winger, he is truly a broken player, but he does less damage from centre.

Aitken has the left or right centre spot depending on what Mary has lined up for Dugan.. And PMata is the backup for injury because frankly Dugan and Aitken are unlikely to stay fit all year.

I'm not seeing any value in Dugan at fullback either but a switch to centre and Widdop to fullback, IMO, would possibly see Marshall to 5/8 and then we need a new halfback? Is that too many changes and a real upheaval after a win?
The other train of thought is why is Widdop not doing the sniffing around support play now?
Also...what I have just written could quite possibly be too many changes...just a few ideas.
Aiken has earned himself a full time starting spot.

Mr Red

First Grade
I dont think its just Dugan - last week Peter M wasnt pushing up in support, in fact none of our players do and its ridiculous. Merrin, Friz and Cooper all tend to get arms free, we should have players ready to run onto it. Needs To be drilled into all of them.

Also, credit to Rein for a great try, but IMO l'Estrange needs to start, the difference in attack when he came on was huge.

Yeah it's like they are so focussed on setting up for the next play they have forgotten the current play is still alive.
I'm happy with Rein starting to be out there at the start and do the tough stuff and then bring on L'estrange when the play starts to open up.

BennyV

Referee
Yeah it's like they are so focussed on setting up for the next play they have forgotten the current play is still alive.
I'm happy with Rein starting to be out there at the start and do the tough stuff and then bring on L'estrange when the play starts to open up.

L'Estrange can do the tough stuff - the guy is a veteran and a pro. We need a lot more sharpness in the opening quarter in order to get an advantage in the arm wrestle and Heath gives us that.

L'Estrange can do the tough stuff - the guy is a veteran and a pro. We need a lot more sharpness in the opening quarter in order to get an advantage in the arm wrestle and Heath gives us that.

Le'Strange ran the side very well whilst on the field.

He will take pressure off Rein, which may in turn see Rein play much better.

Can see Marketo included in squad if either Rein or Le'Strange are injured.

Would love to see either Crook or Hutchison introduced to first grade if either Widdop or Marshall are injured.