What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 vs. Newcastle Discussion + Voting

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
That was a frustrating game. It would have been an excellent opportunity to improve our for and against, but we just seemed unable to put points on. Unfortunately I think this is going to be a problem for a while...

I think we scored -6 points off our attacking high kicks tonight. Seriously no-one in our team can catch bombs in attack and Beale and Yow Yeh are diabolical in defence under the high ball. Any decent opposition is going to expose us there.

At least we won the forward battle easily.

3. Gillett (surely he needs to get more minutes?!)
2. Hodges
1. Hannant

trr061984

Juniors
Peter Wallace needs to start dictating the play a little more. Still think Brisbane have a good team; just needs a little work.

AuDragon

Juniors
GTB, surely you're not comparing Beale to Yow Yeh, are you? :crazy:

He may have had a lesser game, but Yow Yeh is the least of our worries defensively, especially under the high ball. Beale on the other hand... Winger just isn't a spot for him.

Broncos so dominant defensively and in the go forward, only to ruin everything through silly mistakes in attack. This game should've easily been won by 40+ and put to bed at half time.

The Knights were surprisingly bad though, and I couldn't believe how easily our forwards marched over the Knights front line.

Still some positives to take out of the game... our pack is relentless and despite the errors, the team breathes class.

We just need to control the ball better to become a genuine headache for any team in the comp imo.

3- Hannant
2- Gillett
1- Hoffman

Big Pete

Referee
The most pleasing aspect of the performance was how the team responded after the McManus try. Hate to flog a dead horse but if this was the Broncos of 2010 they would have put their heads down after that try and it would have been the game. Instead, the boys woke up and began playing some cohesive football, great signs.

Mixed game all-round, plenty of good individual performances and the defence for the majority was pretty good but they're still making elementary errors. That miss by Beale was definitely the most costly example, he had no reason to come in like he did and Uate that close to the line with that amount of room is always going to be difficult.

Still need to work as a team in attack. One of my current pet peeves with the side is a lack of support and not enough bodies in motion. I'm really getting tired of watching one out running, especially close to the line and hope it's addressed. I also hope we're a bit smarter with giving Hodges the ball, I don't think giving it to him on tackle two when the line is set is the best idea when we're attacking the line.

Starting Petero turned out to be a huge success and while his stats. may not be that great I felt his involvement benefited others, particularly Hannant & Thaiday who weren't targeted as much. I also believe our bench is one of if not the best in the competition. McGuire and Gillett are Origin contenders THIS season.

Beale is safe to live and fight another day. He wasn't tested at all tonight and while he made a glaring defensive mistake for the Uate try I thought he ran strongly out of dummy half. Hopefully he found his feet tonight because things weren't looking too good for him last week. Norman put up another mixed performance. I was going to bag him big time after the first half, I couldn't believe he did such a poor job targeting the wounded Knights defence but full credit in the second he stood up and came up with a string of good options to ensure this was the best game of his season.

In all honesty the only performance I was disappointed in was Yow Yeh's and that's because I set my expectations high for him. He didn't look right tonight and I was shocked to see how slow he was chasing down McManus. Wouldn't surprise me to hear he picked up an injury last week but decided to back up this week.

All in all, messy but we're a side adjusting from the ultimate team player. Some positive signs moving forward and a pretty big scalp in the scheme of things.

Votes:
3. Ben Hannant - Just a good all round game tonight and his chase on McManus won me over.
2. Matt Gillett - Made a lot of impact when he came on in both attack and defence.
1. Josh McGuire - Great footwork before the line and out of all our forwards our best metre eater.

Silent Knight said:
Congratulations on the win Broncos fans. I can't really say much more than that because I'm utterly disgusted by my team's performance tonight. Think I'll go sleep it off and hopefully feel better in the morning.

Cheers SK, tough night out for your boys but they showed some good signs in spite of themselves.

00digger00

Juniors
Hannant 3 Agree 100% with you Big Pete. Shows HUGE heart to be the last one chasing
Gillett 2 Awesome off the bench. Would have loved to see what he could do starting at lock
Mc Guire 1. He is a machine!!!
Pretty happy with the win. Not so happy with the game, but you won't knock back the 2 points. We really seem to have the wood on Wayne!!!!

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
Hannant 3 - Great performance from him worked his arse off the entire game, the chase was great to see dissappointed with Yow Yeh and Hodges in the respect, surely if a big front rower is still chasing after 100 Meters a Winger and Centre could as well.

Gillett 2 - He would have got 3 points had he been on the field longer, very good performance from him, thought his best involvement was his tackle late in the game to dislodge the ball, it showed how committed he is to still be tackling like that at the end of the game. Starting berth not to far away, representative football a very likely possibility this year.

McGuire 1 - Similar to Gillett, another very strong performance from 'The Big Show', lots of runs, lots of meters, lots of tackles just an all round good performance from the guy. Like Gillett a starting spot will not be too far away, same with representative football.

Apart from these players no one else really stood out above the rest, average sloppy game, there were some really good moments and then a lot of sloppy schoolboy errors, which will need to be eradicated. Honorable mention to Norman, poor first half but bounced back well in the second putt in a couple of very nice kicks forcing a drop out and also one just dropping short of going dead.

One thing about this team that is annoying me at the moment is that there aren't enough runners in motion in attack, when Beale scored his try Gillett made a good decoy and attracted a defender, in the first try Wes was more worried about Hoffman than Glenn. We need multiple runners rather than just 1 out runners, when Norman busted the line there was only 1 player up with him and then wallace was a further 5 - 10 meters further back with the rest of the support players.

Overall a good win, but an average sloppy performance that they will have to improve on if they want to beat the real title challengers this year.

hellteam

First Grade
Gillett was a madman when he came on, really got us over the line in the second half. I agree with what someone said above, we are getting Hodges the ball really well this year. Much better than last few years. It's what Souths need to do with Inglis, just give him the ball early.

3 Gillett
2 Hodges
1 McGuire

Overall, ill take the win but we are lucky to be 2-1 as Parra and the knights have had massive off nights against us

hellteam

First Grade
The comments about us being slow, it all comes from Wallace imo. The ball runners can't be running fast when your halfback is going at walking pace. Did anyone see how slow he was in the first half chasing down one of the knights second rowers? Thaiday went past him like he was standing still and made the tackle

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
Wallace isn't the sole reason, its an issue with the whole attack, at times it just looks like Parramatta from 2009 when they just chucked the ball around and hoped for the best, Norman and Wallace both need to take more control of attack and get the team organised.

renouf

Juniors
This year the boys look really fit, fast, energetic, tough, etc. Last night we were far superior to Newcastle in those areas.

If we can get some of those silly mistakes out of our game and learn to execute a bit better, we could really give this competition a shake.

qld aussie

Juniors
2.5. Hannant
2.5. Gillett
1. Mcquire

Scrappy game but will take the win. Can we please stop the tactic of 5 hitups for a BOREING FFFF............N KICK. We look so much better when we put the ball thru some hands. Surely Gillettt & Mcquire need to start the game, the more time their on the field the better we look. Norman takeing small steps but is improveing every game. Wallace & Hodges honorable mentions. Bring on the HARES.

Leagueaddict

Juniors
We need to learn how to turn pressure into points becuase if we dont do that soon that wont beat the better teams.

It's called patience...putting pressure on the opposition by getting repeat sets. Broncos used to be experts at nailing them on their own try line and getting the ball back. Newcastle would have folded completely with a couple of repeat sets against them. As it was they were still in it after the second half?
We put pressure on ourselves by silly offloads etc and the unbronco like completion rate? We need, hate to say it, but real discipline! Stop trying to play like the Broncos of old?
Hoffman, Gillett, Te'o, Hodges and Hannant and Thaiday were the standouts. Glad we got the win but far from convincing!

user_nat

Coach
Agreed with needing to build more pressure.

We look to have no interest in earning repeat sets, it seems like every play close to the line has to be a scoring play. That doesn't work.

Kiwi

First Grade
This game was our most promising. All this talk about our attack with no locker ect is being put to rest. We are breaking the line nd attacking well, as the year goes by it'll gel more and the mistakes will become less and less. Norman and Wallace are geling and they'll only get better

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
This game was our most promising. All this talk about our attack with no locker ect is being put to rest. We are breaking the line nd attacking well, as the year goes by it'll gel more and the mistakes will become less and less. Norman and Wallace are geling and they'll only get better

Ummm, I'm not sure what game you were watching but our attack was terrible. Most other teams with that kind of opportunity would have put on 50. Our go forward was outstanding, but I don't think that is what you are referring to. But to be honest this was to expected given Locky's departure and the new combo of Wallace/Norman. It will get better, Norman was starting to look dangerous in second half.

And as others have referred above if you can't score points then the second best option is to get a repeat set. I think I can remember only 1 time where we got a drop out, and that was more to do with Gillett's solid tackle rather than Norman's kick.

Big Pete

Referee
I thought it was smart play by Norman, not only is the grubber a better kick for the chasing team but Uate was struggling out there and he's had issues with them in the past. It was a really good front on tackle by Gillett but Norman definitely deserves his share of praise.

I hope we see more of it. In the first two weeks the only player who seemingly wanted to earn a repeat set was Macca and even he went to the well too many times with that play, particularly against JT. I noticed Wallace tried earlier in the game but I didn't think it was on, he was up against a wall and it was never going to finish pretty for us.

Big Pete

Referee
Glenn celebrated by holding his hands in the air to reveal the initials "J" and "K" on his wrist bands, a tribute to teammate and fellow Kiwi Jordan Kahu, 21, who is sidelined for the season with a knee injury.

"Jordan is one of my closest mates, and he really wanted to make this year a big one," Glenn said. "He is an inspiration to myself, and he makes me want to push myself more.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...-of-origin-berth/story-e6frep5x-1226302513005

Of course!

Kiwi

First Grade
Ummm, I'm not sure what game you were watching but our attack was terrible. Most other teams with that kind of opportunity would have put on 50. Our go forward was outstanding, but I don't think that is what you are referring to. But to be honest this was to expected given Locky's departure and the new combo of Wallace/Norman. It will get better, Norman was starting to look dangerous in second half.

And as others have referred above if you can't score points then the second best option is to get a repeat set. I think I can remember only 1 time where we got a drop out, and that was more to do with Gillett's solid tackle rather than Norman's kick.
Yes we could have put 50 on them. We didn't finish off alot of chances we created, I would rather we were creating chances than none at all. Our attack will gel more, the stupid passes and dropped ball will stop, give it time, we are still winning while our attack sorts it's self out.

hellteam

First Grade
Yep should sort out, I remember last year we were struggling in attack at the start but the defence was winning us games.

Latest posts