What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 vs. Newcastle Discussion + Voting

josh1111

Juniors
3. Hannatt proving me wrong with his start to the season hope this continues.
1. Hoffman safe as houses at the back and gets our sets moving in the right direction.
1. McGuire I know it wont happen but should be starting with Hannatt.
1. Gillett was awesome off the bench and must be putting pressure on Teo (who I rate highly) to retain his starting spot.

Mr Fourex

Bench
Wallace isn't the sole reason, its an issue with the whole attack, at times it just looks like Parramatta from 2009 when they just chucked the ball around and hoped for the best, Norman and Wallace both need to take more control of attack and get the team organised.

Wallace may not be the sole reason...... but he has to take a large chunk of the responsibility for a disorganised looking team with their hands on the ball. I think Corey Norman is actually doing a better job at it than Wallace and Norman is the junior player.

Broken record time. When the f*ck is Peter Wallace going to stand up and take control of his team?

Scrappy ...shitty game.

Thought most of the forwards including the bench played really well. McCullough though is I guess having his usual sluggish start to the season. Gillett and Hannant were the stand outs. Thaiday had his best game for the year IMO.

The backs went OK, with the opportunities they had. Really happy with Hodgo's form. Hoffman ....again, for mine, needs to get more involved in attack. Needs to start trailing the likes of Gillett, Norman ...even McGuire.

Beale looks like he may never "get" wing play........I'd consider punting him for a game or two if either Gaigai or Copley were tearing it up in the QLD cup.

In the end....a win's a win

3. Gillette
2. Hodges
1. Hannant
1. McGuire

beads6

First Grade
Still whinging about Wallace after a win. Our attack is always shit at the start of the season no matter who we have playing for us. Even with Lockyer we struggled at the start of the season.

Nightward

Juniors
Everyone's attack is a bit rusty at the start of the season. It takes a while for the match fitness and match awareness to come up to speed; with a redesigned back-line from last year (Hoffman back, Copely gone, Norman instead of Lockyer, Beale pushed to the wing- only Wallace, Hodges, Reed and Yow Yeh have kept their slots) it is going to take a while for it mesh.

But the signs at least are there, and every game- even last week's loss- has shown some improvement. Against the Eels, pretty sad. Against the Cowboys, we were able to put on the points quickly before a very uncharacteristic error cost us the game with no chance to reply. This week, the team had faith in their ability to score and were willing to put in the hard yards to get the result.

It might be another two or three rounds before the clockwork is operating properly, but until then the Broncos have demonstrated they have the stamina to stay in a game and the will to knuckle down and grind it out.

You can afford to tread water on attack if your defence is good, but not for too long. Happily, the Broncos have a stern defence and are just working on getting the other side up to snuff.

If they're still staggering around like this at round eight or ten it will be trouble, but I don't see that happening.

So far as McCollough goes, while he isn't exactly setting the world on fire the team does look a lot more dangerous with him out there than it does with Hunt. I would be happier if they decided to simply get rid of one or the other, as switching over stifles McCollough and Hunt would probably do about as well if given the full-time gig; it also frees up a bench slot, and when you're juggling Gillett, Te'O and Glenn with Parker to return that gives you some breathing space. A bench of Te'O, McGuire, Gillett and Hala in prime form would be an absolute nightmare for opposing teams.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
can't believe the number of times macca gets caught jogging out of dummy ahlf and has his arm knocked down before he can pass.......

attack is terrible and incredibly disorganized. you expect a certain level of disorganisation early on but this is pretty bad. if it wasn't for the forwards rolling the other teams and commitment in defense we might be 0 and 3.

in saying that Gillett was great, Hannant has been good and hodges looks very sharp. glen looks strong and hunt looks like he's bulked up over summer. Te'o has shown some signs of getting back to his form a few years ago

beale is a much better fullback than any other position he plays. it's like boyd - was shithouse on the wing for us but became a test fullback

it's early days and my belief is that for the first 6 rounds you want to take any wins you can, cos this is the time everyone is trying get into a rhythm and any competition points you get early are very valuable

3 gillett
2 hannant
1 hodges

Vol-Crane-O

Juniors
3. Hannant - very impressive. Seems to be responding the best from Petero tutelage so far.
2. Gillett - He looks so dangerous, and is an amazing bench weapon.
1. Hodges - Getting him the ball more often is working wonders.

Nightward

Juniors
You aren't serious are you??? :crazy:

No, I'm serious.

The structured attack goes out the window when McCullough is rotated off the field; the team goes into safety mode and stops executing the big set plays. We look more disjointed when he is gone.

I think that they need to decide once and for all if McCullough, Hunt, or even Baptiste are going to be our first-choice hooker and then leave them there through training and 80 minutes of the game.

If McCullough hasn't done enough by now to earn his slot, he probably isn't going to. Hunt seems more of a Centre-type player rather than the lynchpin of attacking movements. Baptiste showed a bit of promise, but we don't know how he'd handle the NRL week in, week out.

Personally I would just leave McCullough where he is, give the Strength and Conditioning coach free reign to torture the poor sod into 80-minute fitness, and drop the experiment. YMMV.

Latest posts