What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 3 vs Sharks

BLM01

First Grade
Because O'Sullivan stayed down like the cat he is.. I thought they were rubbing out the milking of penalties?
Milking is back becuase of the constant talk on player welfare whilst in part warranted, but now taken to the extreme over reaction by officials over analysing things to a black and white solution in lieu of commonsense.
Now commentators are saying well players should not lie down, Sullivan cant whinge etc (boy who cried wolf). and I heard yesterday if Bird did not stay down he would not of been asked to come off for just a hit to the nose, (so which is it?)
Next players will stop lying down because of the rule, possibly injured and it will get missed and we will be back to Sq 1 when the focus should be on the obvious, you cant protect everything and have it perfect.
But wrestle in the tackle is back (coaches know it) as
Refs blowing less penalties and 6 agains to please the media in that point letting the play go

However allowing the bunker too much say and influence slowing the game down that way and over analysing things in slo-mo is a blight on the game and it is worse this year.
In non try scoring situations, 1 quick review in real time if not clear dont overrule, same goes for tries except you may need different angles to get a view where it is more important..move on.
In regards to Sua incident and the like or foul play, 3 on field officials are close enough and well equipped to make those calls. Dont need the bunker. It was brought in to pick up the howler missed.

Last edited:

dannyt

Coach
We will see what a mistake it was to let McInness go when he hurts us next week. If he does I hope those who made him walk choke on their Weet Bix.
Ex players usually have good games against us. However, McGuiness made it clear he didn't want to stay, and so the club did him a favour in letting him go. Unfortunately for him, he was out all season last year, and his contract would've been up end 2021. Not really sure how this whole scenario could've gone any different. Indeed, the fact he was released end of 2020 and didn't play any of 2021 is fortunate for us.

BLM01

First Grade
Ì
He was never meant to come back on, based on the new rules where players who are "obviously" knocked out cannot come back on.
Problem was he was not knocked out, he was hit hard and it probably hurt and he run the gauntlet by lying down to get a penalty. It worked but he bitched and moaned and said I only had a bit of whiplash pointing to his neck

dannyt

Coach
Problem was he was not knocked out, he was hit hard and it probably hurt and he run the gauntlet by lying down to get a penalty. It worked but he bitched and moaned and said I only had a bit of whiplash pointing to his neck
Maybe. I don't know the specific rules, but I thought the decision to come off was taken out of the player's hands, especially when lying motionless on the ground.

kit66

Bench
Good game yesterday with Cronulla winning it with some great defence and Eels losing it with some truly crap defence, they failed to wrap up the ball and gave Hynes and Moylan all the time in the world to drift across field and dance around. The Cronulla attack wasn't great but they capitalized on a couple of piggybacks downfield and held their structures together long enough to get someone over the line. Parra bombed two tries, got over the line but couldn't manage to ground the ball in goal.
It will be a tough game on Thursday night, Cronulla are a good defensive unit, they protected their line really well. Where they had trouble was getting out of their half ( unaided ) and getting into Parra's attacking zone - at one point, about mid 2nd half the commentators remarked that Parra had 33 play the balls in the opposition half to just 3 from the Sharkies and that's with Parra missing or falling off tackles all over the place and Sharkies with about 8 line breaks to that point. Parra made good ground down Cronulla's right side, with big Lane busting through on occasion.
So, deep kicks, good linespeed, wrap up the ball, attack wide to our left and attacking high kicks to our right. We need to tighten up our right side defence because Cronulla will run their big guys to punch holes and then Hynes and Moylen will be there to put it to bed. Canberra beat the Sharkies with some good intensity, lots of off-loads and 2nd phase play running their opposition around.
If we play with just 20% more discipline than last week we might snag a win. 50% more would be better.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Good game yesterday with Cronulla winning it with some great defence and Eels losing it with some truly crap defence, they failed to wrap up the ball and gave Hynes and Moylan all the time in the world to drift across field and dance around. The Cronulla attack wasn't great but they capitalized on a couple of piggybacks downfield and held their structures together long enough to get someone over the line. Parra bombed two tries, got over the line but couldn't manage to ground the ball in goal.
It will be a tough game on Thursday night, Cronulla are a good defensive unit, they protected their line really well. Where they had trouble was getting out of their half ( unaided ) and getting into Parra's attacking zone - at one point, about mid 2nd half the commentators remarked that Parra had 33 play the balls in the opposition half to just 3 from the Sharkies and that's with Parra missing or falling off tackles all over the place and Sharkies with about 8 line breaks to that point. Parra made good ground down Cronulla's right side, with big Lane busting through on occasion.
So, deep kicks, good linespeed, wrap up the ball, attack wide to our left and attacking high kicks to our right. We need to tighten up our right side defence because Cronulla will run their big guys to punch holes and then Hynes and Moylen will be there to put it to bed. Canberra beat the Sharkies with some good intensity, lots of off-loads and 2nd phase play running their opposition around.
If we play with just 20% more discipline than last week we might snag a win. 50% more would be better.
Very well summarised. I agree that the Sharks struggled for yardage yesterday, so if our forwards can go forward with the ball and defend well without it, we should get the win.

rasaint

Juniors
I have enjoyed the discussions on this thread.

I believe Cam McINnes is a very good player. I don’t know what $$$ he was seeking. Was it a rumoured $700k a season for 4 seasons? Or what he signed to the sharks at I think a reported $550k a season For 4 seasons. Anyway Cams knee went and he has been out 2021.

Even as a life long dragon supporter I was very happy for the sharks to jag a premiership after a very long wait.Nearly half a century? Every team supporter deserves to experience a premiership joy once in their lifetime.

Rugby League’s greatest asset of speed of the game and no ‘reset’ delay ( like American Football) and the regular standstill or slow lumbering rucks of Union) is it’s greatest disadvantage. It means the game is refereed on ‘advantage’. Referees are constantly summing up how bad each offence is at each play the ball ( yes every ruck has a degree of offence). Rule changes make it harder And more complex. For example a defending player can’t turn back after a kick chase and run or change a line to impede a chasing attacker even though the defender is down field anyway. Look at Lomax binning, yes he changed direction but so what why does the attacker have to have his own channel to jump catch or often smash the ball catching defender? Basically it becomes very ethereal. Anyway, I am learning it is impossible to fix refereeing.

BLM01

First Grade
Very well summarised. I agree that the Sharks struggled for yardage yesterday, so if our forwards can go forward with the ball and defend well without it, we should get the win.
I would not go that far yet, but what I have noticed is we need a little more 2nd phase play and more depth / speed running onto the ball in attack to let our backline and good players sizzle.
We will need that against the Sharks. They will be up for this one..so should we

BLM01

First Grade
It is good to see McGregoritis is filtering in to Parra's game nowadays

dannyt

Coach
I have enjoyed the discussions on this thread.

I believe Cam McINnes is a very good player. I don’t know what $$$ he was seeking. Was it a rumoured $700k a season for 4 seasons? Or what he signed to the sharks at I think a reported $550k a season For 4 seasons. Anyway Cams knee went and he has been out 2021.

Even as a life long dragon supporter I was very happy for the sharks to jag a premiership after a very long wait.Nearly half a century? Every team supporter deserves to experience a premiership joy once in their lifetime.

Rugby League’s greatest asset of speed of the game and no ‘reset’ delay ( like American Football) and the regular standstill or slow lumbering rucks of Union) is it’s greatest disadvantage. It means the game is refereed on ‘advantage’. Referees are constantly summing up how bad each offence is at each play the ball ( yes every ruck has a degree of offence). Rule changes make it harder And more complex. For example a defending player can’t turn back after a kick chase and run or change a line to impede a chasing attacker even though the defender is down field anyway. Look at Lomax binning, yes he changed direction but so what why does the attacker have to have his own channel to jump catch or often smash the ball catching defender? Basically it becomes very ethereal. Anyway, I am learning it is impossible to fix refereeing.
Sorry. You lost me at "happy for the sharks to jag a premiership ".

kit66

Bench
I would not go that far yet, but what I have noticed is we need a little more 2nd phase play and more depth / speed running onto the ball in attack to let our backline and good players sizzle.
We will need that against the Sharks. They will be up for this one..so should we

The defensive linespeed these days is so fast that teams play really shallow when trying to get out of their half or red zone to try to make metres. I love watching attacking plays with depth but to get to that point you need momentum, forwards bending the line and getting quick play the balls and gettng the opposition on the back foot. I'm liking big George and Kerr coming on after 25 minutes, making good metres and getting fast play the balls ( they were among the quickest on the park last Friday ), Sims was fairly quick as well. We have to make the most of that, Kerr made a nice break and no-one was trailing through with him. Hunt and especially Amone need more room to do their stuff. Rav and others bringing it back with gusto helps get us off to good start. And yes, off-loads are essential but be smart about it.
Lomax should have got a clean ball to Rav for a try in the dying minutes against Penrith, he should have looked to see where Rav was and passed properly instead of trying an unnecessary tricky no-look pass. 20 all with a kick to come.

be55

Juniors
Spot on mate...We were very flat in attack on Friday and way too side to side at times. It reminded me a lot of the McGregor years...no depth, no structure and looking like a lack of ideas. Which is strange because you go back to the Charity Shield and we scored some really good tries that night. The first try we scored we were deeper in attack and used speed and width of pass to score in the corner but our last try in the 2nd half was great to see. They were marking up on us but we stripped them for numbers with players in motion which created doubt in the defenders minds. We set up at the right hand goal post and swung back to left. Hunt got the ball and Bird was the lead runner and decoy, with Sloan trialling out the back. They were never going to get the ball but their jobs were to hold up the inside defenders long enough to create the space for Suli. They did this and Hunt delivered a beautiful out ball to Suli who was already moving to the outside of his opposite number and he hit Feagai on the chest to score in the corner. It was obviously a set play executed to perfection...Have a look at them

It shows we are capable but we just let old habits creep back in at times

We might need Hunt to be more vocal and call these set up plays if we are getting too side to side...

Maybe unlearning the bad habits of the McGregor years might take longer than we all hoped.

In saying that, i still think we are headed in the right direction.

Como Connection

First Grade
The defensive linespeed these days is so fast that teams play really shallow when trying to get out of their half or red zone to try to make metres. I love watching attacking plays with depth but to get to that point you need momentum, forwards bending the line and getting quick play the balls and gettng the opposition on the back foot. I'm liking big George and Kerr coming on after 25 minutes, making good metres and getting fast play the balls ( they were among the quickest on the park last Friday ), Sims was fairly quick as well. We have to make the most of that, Kerr made a nice break and no-one was trailing through with him. Hunt and especially Amone need more room to do their stuff. Rav and others bringing it back with gusto helps get us off to good start. And yes, off-loads are essential but be smart about it.
Lomax should have got a clean ball to Rav for a try in the dying minutes against Penrith, he should have looked to see where Rav was and passed properly instead of trying an unnecessary tricky no-look pass. 20 all with a kick to come.
Poor game by Lomax.
CC