What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 4 V Newcastle

Tuddy

Juniors
Shoot me down for saying it but I think we are clearly below the top echelon of teams at the moment. That is when you look purely at talent and skill but the attitude at the moment is up there with the better sides in the comp. I think we should expect losses against the other top 7 teams but we will cause upsets if we can continue to play with hunger we showed today.

Important for us to keep it in perspective. Would have copped a loss today if the effort was the same.

As you say mate ‘at the moment’ ... it’s early days, there’s a lot of room for improvement in this squad ... and with the right coaches, we are going in the right direction.

blacksafake

First Grade
A very respectful, measured press conference from Hook. No big puffed out chest & big happy smiles after a win like that, unlike he who shan’t be named. Not getting ahead of themselves & keeping the boy’s feet firmly on the ground. Loved his comment about the short drop outs & poker face response to the critics who said we’d be in the battle for the spoon.

BLM01

First Grade
The no try call for Ravalawa is unacceptable and I hope there is recourse against the bunker. Dufty, the passer, is clearly in front of Kerr who is clearly in front of Lomax, the receiver. He did touch the ball but it couldn't have been travelling in any direction but backward, especially given how subtle the touch was.
That was a crowd led deciision for the bunker as was the 8-1 minimum six agains

Ted bartolo

Juniors
The no try call for Ravalawa is unacceptable and I hope there is recourse against the bunker. Dufty, the passer, is clearly in front of Kerr who is clearly in front of Lomax, the receiver. He did touch the ball but it couldn't have been travelling in any direction but backward, especially given how subtle the touch was.
There was bias all night should be investigation. Into the people running the bunker.6 again is a joke basically lettting referee play with there ego

BLM01

First Grade
Did anyone see the Knights player in defence at the top of your screen as we were attacking down our right side (push or hravily bump the ref out the way). It was in the last 10-15 minutes. Just not sure of the timing. was it Frizzell?...anyway if the refs are untouchable that should be looked at closely

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
This was a huge turning point for me....young bull vs the old bull.....and the young bull came out well and truly on top. This might be the beginning of him, he needed to have a moment like this and who better to have it with than a former origin player like Klemmer.
He’s had a few of those moments. Last year vs JWH also, it’s always been obvious to me he was going to be an elite prop for us. He does plenty off the ball, makes efforts on efforts regularly and always has and is just a good low centre of gravity, straight hard runner. He’s a good one. The tall rangy guys are good but every team needs that barrel on legs.

BLM01

First Grade
So...we’re a fair side this year yeh ?

Knights unlucky losing all those players but we beat them at a packed home ground without Hunt and Bird.

I like our chances of placing higher than the Knights this year.
Lets see in Round 25

SBD82

Coach
That first 20 minutes was the best team performance that I’ve seen from our side in years. The Knights were up for the challenge, but our middles just kept going at them.

Still plenty of improvement left in this team, but a side that shows character like that is one that I am proud to support.

2010Dragons

Bench
Good to see Trent Merrin collect a try , the big fella still has plenty of gas in the tank.

On a sour note , that bluudy bunker has crucified the Dragons on numerous occasions over the years and nothing has changed in season 2021 . I thought that to deny Rava a try was nit-picking of the highest order , why don’t they do the same to the competition heavyweights instead of those teams whom are struggling to keep their heads above water - jerks !
Referee Peter Goff is the worst referee in the NRL and video referee Steve Chiddy is the bias moron. These two match officials cost us the Ramsey try in the sharks game. They were up to their incompetent best today. How the f**k can that incompetent moron see the ball go forward from any footage is beyond me. Knights got 8 set restarts and we got nothing, zero , zip. Hometown refereeing at its worst.
Fortunately the mighty Dragons have learnt how to deal with dodgy refereeing. these two ass clowns will cost other teams like the chooks or storm the game. And then they will be sacked.

redv13

Bench
Referee Peter Goff is the worst referee in the NRL and video referee Steve Chiddy is the bias moron. These two match officials cost us the Ramsey try in the sharks game. They were up to their incompetent best today. How the f**k can that incompetent moron see the ball go forward from any footage is beyond me. Knights got 8 set restarts and we got nothing, zero , zip. Hometown refereeing at its worst.
Fortunately the mighty Dragons have learnt how to deal with dodgy refereeing. these two ass clowns will cost other teams like the chooks or storm the game. And then they will be sacked.
We have had f**kstick Chiddy 3 games out of 4 and he has caused us grief in 2 of those games. The bloke is joke and every 50/50 has gone against us.

Reflector

Juniors
To be fair, in previous seasons we have been leading the comp early but after Origin fallen in a heap.
That was a great effort and the emotion is high but our halves really didn't control that game very well at all. A decent set of halves would have smelled blood and put that side away. With all the injuries we should have flogged them tonight. If we keep playing like this I believe it will burn us out by seasons end. We need to get our halves firing a bit more before next week. We aren't going to be this fortunate with injuries every week.

Agreed. There's been better effort since the start of this season than recently, but I think it's collectively more to do with becoming so desensitised to no heart, shit football under Mary. Keep in mind that 3 of the Dragons wins 4 rounds in have come against:

Cowboys (rubbish atm
Manly (rubbish atm)
The Newcastle Knights 80 minute casualty ward special

The real test is going to come in the games against the top 4 (looking like Storm, Souths, Penrith and Canberra) and can they make an honest contest of it, let alone other top 8 aspirants that haven't been decimated by injury.

redv13

Bench
Agreed. There's been better effort since the start of this season than recently, but I think it's collectively more to do with becoming so desensitised to no heart, shit football under Mary. Keep in mind that 3 of the Dragons wins 4 rounds in have come against:

Cowboys (rubbish atm
Manly (rubbish atm)
The Newcastle Knights 80 minute casualty ward special

The real test is going to come in the games against the top 4 (looking like Storm, Souths, Penrith and Canberra) and can they make an honest contest of it, let alone other top 8 aspirants that haven't been decimated by injury.
I don’t think the Sharks fans gave a shit in 2020 when they didn’t beat a top 8 team once yet still made the semis. Just saying...

Reflector

Juniors
Tariq Sims’ classy gesture in heated NRL clash
Dragons big man Tariq Sims scored two tries on Sunday but a classy act of sportsmanship was the most impressive moment of his game.

Jasper Bruce
dd423ba46d49b59b6471332a730d68dc

April 4, 20217:40pm
243d684c3a94669cdd524cf1d5b274b4

Tariq Sims was all class on Sunday afternoon.Source:FOX SPORTS

Tempers flared throughout Sunday’s clash between the Knights and Dragons but a classy gesture from Tariq Sims stood out as a magic moment in the war of attrition.

A melee erupted after a tackle on Dragons flyer Mikaele Ravalawa left Newcastle five-eighth Kurt Mann seeing stars.

Watch The 2021 NRL Telstra Premiership Live & On-Demand with No Ad-Breaks During Play. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >

The all-in-brawl attracted players from all over the field, but ensuring Mann’s safety was the only thing on Sims’ mind.

The second-rower and his teammate Matt Dufty waited with the injured Knight as trainers attended to him. Not only that, Sims stood with his back to the brawl in an effort to protect Mann and the Knights’ medical staff from the fighting.

“Hats off, Tariq Sims, sportsmanship personified in that moment,” said Fox League commentator Andrew Voss.

“He’s over there shielding one of his opponents from the melee. That’s quite a moment in this sport of rugby league.”

“It’s impressive,” agreed Michael Ennis.

Tariq Sims had an afternoon to remember with ball in hand as well — the 31-year-old scored the fifth double of his career and his first since 2019, bringing the Dragons back into the contest in the second half.

4bc93db86fced33dd29eac4442a2db2b

Paul Vaughan takes a hit in Sunday’s brutal contest.Source:Getty Images

With a field goal the difference at half time, fans were primed for a tense second 40 at McDonald Jones Stadium.

Newcastle big man Josh King opened the scoring in the second half, crashing over in the 48th minute to put the Knights seven points ahead.

The Red V returned serve shortly after to keep the contest alive — Tariq Sims wound back the clock as he cut through the Newcastle line effortlessly.

Sims’ second four-pointer and a try from Bryaden Wiliame sealed the deal, as the Red V notched a 22-13 win.

The casualty ward was full to the brim during Sunday afternoon’s game, with Mann joining Newcastle teammates Mitchell Pearce and Tex Hoy on the sidelines.

Knights enforcer David Klemmer and Ravalawa both pulled up sore, but remained on the field.

In his post-match press conference, Newcastle coach Adam O’Brien said the game was “pretty much carnage” and confirmed the side may have to contend without Pearce for months.

The win was the Dragons’ third in a row under new coach Anthony Griffin. They’ll look to make it four on the trot when they face Parramatta next week.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/t...h/news-story/bd503a1aecc29017f25d1dc1c2fd72d2

You would never see COVID Cam or Munster do this. They'd be arguing to the ref that Mann should've had a penalty awarded against him

Reflector

Juniors
The draw will always be skewed until it’s an even home and away season but that won’t be happening. Let’s enjoy the ride after the shit show of 2019/20.

No denying it's an improvement this season 4 rounds in, but I want to wait another month before I really bother to gauge the Dragons power levels this season. Because so far I have them marked down as: Better than Canterbury, Manly, North Qld, Brisbane- but not sure what category above that?

Are they in the Wests Tigers 9th place category, the lower top 8 category or potentially top 6 category?

redv13

Bench
No denying it's an improvement this season 4 rounds in, but I want to wait another month before I really bother to gauge the Dragons power levels this season. Because so far I have them marked down as: Better than Canterbury, Manly, North Qld, Brisbane- but not sure what category above that?

Are they in the Wests Tigers 9th place category, the lower top 8 category or potentially top 6 category?
Barring major injuries you could say the following teams finish between 1 and 6 in no particular order:
Penrith, Souths, Melbourne, Easts, Canberra, Parra.
2 spots left between the following teams:
Saints, GC, Cronulla, NZ, Newcastle, WT.
No chance:
Dogs, Broncs, NQ, Manly