What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5 vs Bulldogs

Carlton

Juniors
What a great win though and I'm really liking the combination that Norman and Hunt are developing. The team look really happy and close at the moment and I'm just worried that Hunt and Norman are going to be dropped for not following the "just hit it up" game plan.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I told everyone Norman would be a good signing. I was saying we should sign him, before we were even mentioned to be interested in him. I would have Norman running the team and Hunt playing more of a running 5/8 role. Hunt is finding some good form too.

Someone said that Widdop announced on the loud speaker yesterday that he would be playing for us later in the year. I don't know if we have any need for him right now.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Dynamic Dragons smash bumbling Bulldogs
Mick Radojkovic | April 14 2019 6:31PM

The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs travelled to Kogarah to try and continue their positive form despite a loss against the Storm last week, but fumbled their way to a 40-4 loss at the hands of a red-hot St. George-Illawarra side lead by a clinical effort by Ben Hunt.

The opening 15 minutes of the game were classic Sunday afternoon footy...

More: https://leagueunlimited.com/news/33133-dragons-v-bulldogs-report/

denis preston

First Grade
I can see REAL problems if , say , we make the 4 and Widdorp is selected to play straight back from injury .You drop a player that has got you there and then upset the pattern that got the team there.Can't see how it would work let alone the risk that the opposition would target his shoulder for a early exit.

I would falsify his doctors report and suggest a re occurrence of his injury at training. If he comes back with 4 to 5 games to play thats a different situation.

denis preston

First Grade
Match Highlights: Dragons v Bulldogs
The Dragons host the Bulldogs in round 5 of the 2019 NRL Telstra Premiership

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/14/match-highlights-dragons-v-bulldogs/

I particularly noted Rav's backup in the Hunt strip.He looks like he can't stretch out completely ? Can anyone recall his ISP highlight reel because i'm sure he can motor more than he is showing ? A credit to him if he is doing all this without his full acceleration / speed.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
That was probably the best game I've seen him play, good on him. But I'm still not sold on him and think if we had a fullback like TVS, Tedesco, Tom Turbo we would be genuine contenders. We have the forwards, we have the halves, we have the hooker, our wingers are proving they are up to it, we have one centre in form and one centre who should be playing interchange with a ready replacement waiting to get his chance.

Not convinced by one winger in particula. The other plays with a lot of heart (similar to an ex great) but his aerial work under the high ball is a little iffy.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I particularly noted Rav's backup in the Hunt strip.He looks like he can't stretch out completely ? Can anyone recall his ISP highlight reel because i'm sure he can motor more than he is showing ? A credit to him if he is doing all this without his full acceleration / speed.

I’d say Ravalawa’s perceived quickness is misguided. Think of him more as a Shane Loata type rather than a Semi Radradra.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
What a great win though and I'm really liking the combination that Norman and Hunt are developing. The team look really happy and close at the moment and I'm just worried that Hunt and Norman are going to be dropped for not following the "just hit it up" game plan.

Be positive mate. They’re not going to be replaced if they’re playing well

possm

Coach
Dynamic Dragons smash bumbling Bulldogs
Mick Radojkovic | April 14 2019 6:31PM

The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs travelled to Kogarah to try and continue their positive form despite a loss against the Storm last week, but fumbled their way to a 40-4 loss at the hands of a red-hot St. George-Illawarra side lead by a clinical effort by Ben Hunt.

The opening 15 minutes of the game were classic Sunday afternoon footy...

More: https://leagueunlimited.com/news/33133-dragons-v-bulldogs-report/
There is no doubt that the game against the Storm contributed to the poor performance of the Dogs yesterday, it is hard to get up for two big performances in a row. This is not taking anything away from the Dragons brilliant win however, we will have a better idea where we are after the games against Manly and Easts in the next two rounds.

The Damo

Juniors
Yeah I wonder the same. I’m sure his highlights showed better speed than we’ve seen this year.

giboz71

First Grade
That was probably the best game I've seen him play, good on him. But I'm still not sold on him and think if we had a fullback like TVS, Tedesco, Tom Turbo we would be genuine contenders. We have the forwards, we have the halves, we have the hooker, our wingers are proving they are up to it, we have one centre in form and one centre who should be playing interchange with a ready replacement waiting to get his chance.

I've been waiting for that kind of performance from Dufty for ages.

He doesn't need highlights every week where he is running through defences (like last year). I wanted to see a full 80 mins of him running hard and with purpose. If he has the right attitude, he won't get dominated like he usually does. he was a handful on every touch yesterday.

If he plays like that every week, then we have our fullback we need.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
There is no doubt that the game against the Storm contributed to the poor performance of the Dogs yesterday, it is hard to get up for two big performances in a row. This is not taking anything away from the Dragons brilliant win however, we will have a better idea where we are after the games against Manly and Easts in the next two rounds.
Canterbury deserved to be thrashed yesterday.

Watching the game yesterday, and with about 20 minutes to go, I said anything short of 40 points is not good enough.

Very happy when we got there. Pissed off that that they managed to get a consolation try. Still doesn't wipe the slate clean for what happened in round 24 last year.

j0nesy

Bench

I thought he ran into the back of one of the Bulldogs cover defenders. From there he didn’t really try to recover.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Yeah I wonder the same. I’m sure his highlights showed better speed than we’ve seen this year.
If Rava is not completely fit, then shame on Mary for playing him. I noticed he was not there with Hunt when needed but that can happen sometimes. Maybe he has put on some extra kgs during off-season training and his speed will increase as he loses a little weight.

j0nesy

Bench
Canterbury deserved to be thrashed yesterday.

Watching the game yesterday, and with about 20 minutes to go, I said anything short of 40 points is not good enough.

Very happy when we got there. Pissed off that that they managed to get a consolation try. Still doesn't wipe the slate clean for what happened in round 24 last year.

We were a bit unlucky to concede that try, Lafai was reportedly down with cramping and struggled to get into position.

We were also robbed of a try there near the end. There’s no way that ball from Dufty was forward.

You’re right though it could have been a lot more.

Gareth67

First Grade
Ah Killer Karl Kox, what a legend!

I felt sorry for that maniac George the Animal or was it his dad Brute Bernard ( ? not sure , but they were both lovely chaps ) always pulling the stuffing out of the corner of the ring and throwing it in the air . I threw some Jafffas at him one afternoon only for the big sod to throw them back at me .

Last edited:

Carlton

Juniors
Be positive mate. They’re not going to be replaced if they’re playing well

Read the post, I was being positive, I just dont want Mary coaching the way they are playing whats in front of them out of their game.

Last edited:

Carlton

Juniors
I've been waiting for that kind of performance from Dufty for ages.

He doesn't need highlights every week where he is running through defences (like last year). I wanted to see a full 80 mins of him running hard and with purpose. If he has the right attitude, he won't get dominated like he usually does. he was a handful on every touch yesterday.

If he plays like that every week, then we have our fullback we need.

I'm with you, I am happier with him doing all the effort things right rather than just get excited about a flashy play every so often. The thing I am still not sold on is his physicality (or lack of), this is the area where I think he is missing out compared to the really good fullbacks.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The only blight in that game was the Dogs try. Apart from that the Dragons were seamless. There defence was phenomenal as Dogs had quite a bit of ball in the Dragons 20 only to get stopped each time from scoring.

All players played well and even then bench came out and did a solid job (Latimore/Luciano that is).

If I was Mary I would simply rotate the centres and have Lomax get a run next week and Lafai/Aitken get a rest. No harm in rotating them and better outcome in the long run rather than giving Lomax 10-15 mins a game. I am sure Aitken and Lafai can do with a rest.

How good is Ben Hunt? Brilliant game and I am sure more to come. This will be his season to really show how good he is. Norman also proving to be a smart pickup. Just imagine if JDB and Sims were available how good this side would be?

possm

Coach
The only blight in that game was the Dogs try. Apart from that the Dragons were seamless. There defence was phenomenal as Dogs had quite a bit of ball in the Dragons 20 only to get stopped each time from scoring.

All players played well and even then bench came out and did a solid job (Latimore/Luciano that is).

If I was Mary I would simply rotate the centres and have Lomax get a run next week and Lafai/Aitken get a rest. No harm in rotating them and better outcome in the long run rather than giving Lomax 10-15 mins a game. I am sure Aitken and Lafai can do with a rest.

How good is Ben Hunt? Brilliant game and I am sure more to come. This will be his season to really show how good he is. Norman also proving to be a smart pickup. Just imagine if JDB and Sims were available how good this side would be?
I'd say the blight on the game was the poor decisions made by the referees. All the 50/50s ent against us. Lucky we were on fire that game and so not even the refs could deny us the win.