What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 5 vs. Dragons Discussion + Voting

Big Pete

Referee
3. Sam Thaiday - Awesome work-rate and really lifted. I just wished he'd get out of Locky's way and took some of those pressure passes more.

2. Alex Glenn - Was busting through tackles, coming up with important tackles and really impressed me.

1. Ashton Sims - Came up with some huge hits! Good to see and I hope he retains his spot.

Special mentions to Setu and Lockyer.

Guys, say what you will tonight is the second time this season I can say....

That's my team!

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
3. Thaiday - Damaging in attack and devastating in defence. Showed real courage in playing on after that head knock, and made Creagh and Cooper his bitches all night.
2. Alex Glenn - Why he isn't running on at centre each week with the current injury toll is beyond me. Outstanding acceleration and always runs a good line.
1. Matt Gillett - Strong effort from the young man tonight with good second phase play.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Another stunning performance by our star halfback. Ben Hunt was better than the dud we have in the no7 shirt!

user_nat

Coach
3. Alex Glenn - One of his best games.
2. Sam Thaiday - Tries to hard otherwise he would have 3 points.
1. Matt Gillett - I just like giving him points.

Very misleading scoreline. Really emphasizes how much better our season could be without injuries.

Need to work on the goal line stuff though (that may be an experience problem).

Another stunning performance by our star halfback. Ben Hunt was better than the dud we have in the no7 shirt!

Shut up..

cornerposter

Juniors
Top effort I thought tonight and some really promising signs. I nearly popped a valve when we started with some undisciplined play from Sam & McCullogh, but I think both redeemed themselves later in the match. Particularly Sammy making Creagh his bitch - see ya in Origin Benny-boy :cool:

Some really promising performances tonight, I reckon
  • Gillette continues to firm as a superstar
  • Glenn again showed he's all class
  • Setu is worth persevering with. Norman should park himself on Setu's shoulder and feed off all the 2nd phase ball he can give.
  • the hooker rotation was a success and create some variety to our play
  • 5th tackle kick options were much much better

Points carve up for me is:
2 Gillette
2 Thaiday
1 Glenn
1 Lockyer

Well done Broncs :clap:

ponies 4ever

Juniors
Absolutely wonderful effort from the team who tried really hard all night. Massive plaudits to young Gillett who continues to look in "another class" and who we must ensure is locked away with the club on a long term deal if possible. This is one fella who is set to get a rather large payday if he continues in this vein. I have been critical of Thaiday but his effort was huge tonight, and Lui looked really good when he came on and ran with relentless effort.
On a minor low I have to agree with a post above that Peter Wallace was quite disappointing tonight, he failed to guide the youngsters at vital times with poor reads in defence and steadfastly refuses to take the line on and relieve more pressure off Lockyer. His inside passes are only useful if we have the defence backpedalling otherwise it creates huge pressure on the ballrunner to hang onto.
There was a lot to be positive about tonight and the more time some of these youngsters get it might well enhance their development quicker as long as they grab it with both hands as most obviously chose to do tonight.
Huge well done Broncs.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
3. Thaiday
2. Setu
1. Glenn

Even with that dropped ball at the start Thaiday was clearly our best. It was great to see Glenn is some space and tbh I'm surprised it hasn't happened alot more often this season. Even though Setu has some brain explosions he needs to be in the side as he is one of the very few who offers us 2nd phase play. Special mention to Beale and Lui, who I thought played very well on debut. I thought his runs were more potent than Sims and Anderson.

Unfotunately our ability to score tries when we get inside the opposition 20 its absolutely hopeless. Sorry but Wallace doesn't seem to do enough for the amount he gets paid. We have a severe lack of creativity and the oppositions reads our minimal selection of plays very well. We also need to learn how to dominate in the ruck, the quick played the balls killed us. Mind you, that has been a problem for a few seasons now.

All in all, much better than last week. With several players back we might be competitive next week.

ponies 4ever

Juniors
Although I have been critical of Wallace tonight, I think it is obvious to most he is playing behind a vey young and inexperienced pack of forwards. I really like Pete as a player but feel he could of lifted a little more tonight ala Thaiday and more of the youngsters will follow.

johnnyg

Juniors
Im not a massive fan of Setu, and agree his offloads do offer us something in attack (occasionally) but that's 2 really weak attempted tackles in 2 weeks that he has missed and the opposition has gone to score. Last week against Carney and tonight against Hornby I think it was. For someone who seems very light footed/agile in attack his defense goes missing, not sure if he just stands flat footed and makes a half grab at them or what???

cornerposter

Juniors
Im not a massive fan of Setu, and agree his offloads do offer us something in attack (occasionally) but that's 2 really weak attempted tackles in 2 weeks that he has missed and the opposition has gone to score. Last week against Carney and tonight against Hornby I think it was. For someone who seems very light footed/agile in attack his defense goes missing, not sure if he just stands flat footed and makes a half grab at them or what???
Your right, he needs to get that sh*t out of his game. Although tonights miss wasn't laziness, it was more like over enthusiasm to get up into the line. He went too hard too early and Hornby was cluey enough to slip through.

ponies 4ever

Juniors
Thought Setus' go forward improved dramatically tonight and is a platform for him to continue on from. I've been an unabashed fan of Setu but faith has slightly been beginning to wane. Definately believe it's make or break for Lagi at the club in 2010 and only he can decide truly how much he wants it.

DeadElvis

Juniors
Absolutely wonderful effort from the team who tried really hard all night. Massive plaudits to young Gillett who continues to look in "another class" and who we must ensure is locked away with the club on a long term deal if possible. This is one fella who is set to get a rather large payday if he continues in this vein. I have been critical of Thaiday but his effort was huge tonight, and Lui looked really good when he came on and ran with relentless effort.
On a minor low I have to agree with a post above that Peter Wallace was quite disappointing tonight, he failed to guide the youngsters at vital times with poor reads in defence and steadfastly refuses to take the line on and relieve more pressure off Lockyer. His inside passes are only useful if we have the defence backpedalling otherwise it creates huge pressure on the ballrunner to hang onto.
There was a lot to be positive about tonight and the more time some of these youngsters get it might well enhance their development quicker as long as they grab it with both hands as most obviously chose to do tonight.
Huge well done Broncs.

My God you get caned by 20 odd points and you say well done???

You guys are spoon certainties with that 'tude.

j0nesy

Bench
Was at the game tonight. Thought you guys were pretty good given your inexperienced playing roster. Your lads never gave up - definitely a team of the future. A lot of people have given raps to Gillett, but I didn't think he was that good tonight. I thought Thiaday and Lockeyer were good, as was McCullough. Lui had some impact off the bench as well.

As a Dragons fan I was not impressed with our effort or work rate tonight. Had Brisbane had a full strenght playing roster the result could have been different. Boyd had one of his better games tonight, Young worked hard, Morris was given a lot of room out wide and Scott was outstanding. Call me biased but I thought you guys were given a pretty darn good run by the ref (particulary Ceccin (sp?)), ok I'm biased ;-)

ponies 4ever

Juniors
Dead Elvis no, was not happy to be beaten comfortably 2night but hey, there is a hell of a lot of quality cattle to return to tonights vanquished. No, there is no need 4 razor blades at 20 paces for Broncos fans and although frustrated by our current predicament there's a saying "that's rugby league, injuries are part and parcel of it". We'll be back, I HAVE NO DOUBT. Dragons are a top 4 side and our youngsters got another tough lesson that will help long term, loss against Roosters hurt far, far more.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
3. Sam Thaiday - Awesome work-rate and really lifted. I just wished he'd get out of Locky's way and took some of those pressure passes more.

2. Alex Glenn - Was busting through tackles, coming up with important tackles and really impressed me.

1. Ashton Sims - Came up with some huge hits! Good to see and I hope he retains his spot.

Special mentions to Setu and Lockyer.

Guys, say what you will tonight is the second time this season I can say....

That's my team!

I never saw them. Came up with some lazy defence as well.

3. Thaiday
2. Setu
1. Lockyer

Did Dodds do enough work to satisfy you blokes tonight?:roll:34 tackles from a bloke coming off the bench and about 5/6 hitups. Sims 21 tackles:lol:

Big Pete

Referee
Then you're blind.

The amount of tackles he made where put players on their back was astounding.