What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 (2008) Panthers v Titans

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Forum 7s - Round 6 2008
PENRITH PANTHERS v GOLD COAST TITANS
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
jersey_panthers_1.gif
-v-
jersey_titans_1.gif
[/FONT]​
Game Thread:

* Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles).
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.​

Naming Teams:
* 5v5 (+ 2 reserves for visiting team, 3 reserves for home team)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named​

ALL THE RULES & REGULATIONS: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php

FULL TIME: Wednesday 18 June 2008 at 9pm (Syd time)
REFEREE: Mr Fahrenheit
Venue: CUA Stadium
**The Referee Blows Game On!**
whistle_2.gif

CLICK HERE FOR OFFICIAL WORD COUNTER

Last edited by a moderator:

Titanic

First Grade
Our battered VW Combi Van shudders to halt outside the players entrance at CUA Stadium. Our debutante bgdc leaps out and surveys the car park. "What's wrong, sick of being cooped up with all the boys? There's no surf here and probably not any decent noodles either". "Shut up," she snapped, putting on her best game face, "I have a date". Totally stunned by this news, the whole team as one unit, madly searches the perimeter, and sure enough, hunkered down behind the Mens, we spy .....

Gold Coast Titans F7's Team v. Penrith Panthers:

titan.jpg

The Run-on Team
1 Amadean
6 tits&tans
7 Titan Uranus
8 bgdc
11 Titanic (c)

The Bench
3 beave
Robster (vc)

Last edited:

Big Mick

Referee
Penrith team to play the Titans at CUA Stadium:

1) [Furrycat] C
2) Madunit C
3) Leaguenut C
4) Big Mick c vc
5) Azkatro C

6) The Piper
7) Glockers
8) Moonfire

LeagueNut

First Grade
jersey_panthers_1.gif

LeagueNut (Panthers)

------------------------------------------------------------
Heroes

August 27 2006: The NZ Warriors have added Wests Tigers winger Michael Crockett to their line-up for the 2007 NRL season.

Crockett, who made his NRL debut in round one of this year's competition and has made eight appearances in total, has signed a two-year deal with the New Zealand NRL franchise.

"I want to have the chance to play first-grade on a regular basis and that's what I'm aiming to achieve at the Warriors," said Crockett.

“Daddy, look at this!”

“What is it?”

“This is my best Warriors team. Wade McKinnon, Michael Crockett …”

“Why Michael Crockett?”

“Cause he’s good! He’s really fast and scores lots of tries”

“But what about Patrick Ah Van or Todd Byrne?”

“Nah, Michael Crockett is better. He’s only played two games for us and he’s scored four tries!”

“Fair enough”

September 4 2007: New Zealand Warriors rugby league player Michael Crockett faced a Sydney Court today charged with sex offences.

The 24-year-old winger who lives in New Zealand was charged last month.

It is alleged he raped a woman he met at a nightclub at Kings Cross in Sydney after a game against the Sydney Roosters.

The case returns to court in November.

“I saw Michael Crockett on the news today”

“What did they say?”

“I don’t know, I think he’s done something naughty”

“Ah well, that’s no good”

“Yeah”

24 April 2008: Crockett still has two sex assault charges hanging over him arising from a night out after the Warriors' away draw with the Sydney Roosters last August.

The Warriors have backed the Sydney-born Australian in his bid to clear his name.

"The club have been behind me 100 percent," he said. "I couldn't ask for any more of them. They've been great."

“When I grow up I’m going to play three positions”

“What positions?”

“Fullback, centre and wing”

“How come?”

“Because then I can score lots of tries”

“You just want to be one of those speedy ones that runs around all day and doesn’t have to get into the scrums?”

“Yeah!”

8 June 2008: Warriors winger Michael Crockett has told how his on-field performances for the struggling league side helped him cope with the pressure of a rape charge hanging over his head.

The Australian-born player is due to attend the committal hearing at Downing Centre Local Court, in Sydney where a decision will be made on whether he is to stand trial on two counts of sexual intercourse without consent.

“Daddy, what’s our team going to be for next year?”

“We don’t know yet. We’ve signed someone called Denan Kemp from the Broncos though”

“Why?”

“I don’t know – maybe someone is leaving”

“Where does he play?”

“He’s a winger I think”

“So is there a winger leaving?”

“Yeah probably, I think Michael Crockett will probably go back to Australia”

“Awww, why?”

“I don’t know mate, maybe he just wants to go home”

“He should stay, he’s good”

16 June 2008: New Zealand Warriors rugby league player Michael Crockett is facing a committal hearing in Sydney on rape charges.

Crockett is accused of raping a woman in Sydney's east after a match last August.

Crockett is contesting the charges.

The hearing will determine whether there is enough evidence for Crockett to stand trial.

“Daddy, what’s rape?”

*pause*

“That’s something really bad and illegal that the police arrest people for”

“Oh … is that what Michael Crockett did?”

“We don’t know that yet boy, that’s why he has to go to court. That’s where the Judge listens to everyone and then decides what will happen next”

“But what if he has to go to jail?”

*pause*

“If he’s done something illegal like that, then he should have to go to jail. It doesn’t matter if he’s a Warrior or not”

“I hope he doesn’t go to jail”

16 June 2008: They had been partying at the Sapphire Suite nightclub in Kings Cross earlier that night, she said.

The sister told the court she had returned to the flat they shared early that morning with Warriors player Evarn Tuimavave.

When she went into her sister's room to borrow make-up, she said she saw a man, now known to her as Crockett, in the bed.

“Ooh, here they come!”

“Well come on then boy, we’ll go and get a photo of you with some of them”

“There’s Steve Price! And Michael Crockett!”

“OK, let’s go and see if we can get a photo”

“Yay!”

MichaelCrockett.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------
744 words between the lines
Sources (in order):
TVNZ, ABC, TV3, Stuff, ABC (again), NZ Herald

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
madunit for the Panthers

A Little Chat With The Headmaster
The two boys trudge up the hallway to meet their destiny, heads bowed, shoulders slumped. For one of the boys, he’s used to this walk and isn’t very concerned. For the other boy, he’s only had to do this walk a few times, and while it’s still a nerve racking expedition, he’s beginning to enjoy the rise in his profile due to his slowly increasing notoriety.

As their slowly shuffling feet carry them closer to the door, the boys raise their heads, sigh and open the door marked “Headmaster.”

“Ah yes, you two again. William, you have been coming in here on a regular basis. What have you done this time?”

“I didn’t do anything, he started it!”

“Son, is this true? Did you start the fight?”

“No, he did, he lied to me!”

“What did he lie about?”

“He said if I stayed his friend he would let me use his bike. But he never let me use it. It’s not fair, he lied!”

“Calm down son. Is this true William?”

“Nuh. He’s just being a sook.”

“Well can your friend use the bike now William?”

“Nuh.”

“And why not?”

“Because I sold it. I didn’t like it anymore, the chain kept falling off. It was crap.”

“Well that’s fair enough. Is that what this fight was about son?”

“He also teased me.”

“What did he say son?”

“He picked on me because he gets more pocket money than me.”

“Well that’s not really William’s fault. You should be happy you get pocket money. I remember when I was a boy your age; I never got any pocket money.”

“But I want more pocket money. It’s not fair!”

“Have you asked your parents?”

“Yes, they don’t want to give me any more, they said I get heaps of pocket money now.”

“So you think these silly little things are a good enough reason to have a fight with your friend?”

“He’s not my friend anymore, he’s a smelly liar!”

The boy turns to William and pokes out his tongue then says:

“Liar Liar pants on fire!”

“I’m not a liar!”

“Well William, you did put Craig’s name on your assignment a few years ago. You also said you were sick one day so that you didn’t have to come to school and get punished. You do have a bit of a reputation.”

“I never did those.”

“LIAR LAIR PANT’S ON FIRE!”

The boys jump out of their seats and start fighting again. The Headmaster gets out from behind his desk and breaks them up. He hands down the punishment to the boys. They are ordered to pick up rubbish in the playground.

After an hour passes, the boys have been sent back to the Headmasters office.

“Okay, I’ve just had more reports of bad behaviour by you two. Firstly, William, I heard you were picking on the boys upstairs, calling them names. Is this true?”

“They started it!”

“Calling people names for no reason is not a smart thing to do William. Now you son, I heard you were doing something very bad in the girls toilets. Care to explain what happened?”

“Candice started it!”

“You could’ve said no son. That sort of behaviour will not be tolerated at this school. Now considering what has transpired today, I have no other real option but to call your parents to come and collect you. You’re both suspended for two weeks!”

The boys looked up, astonished. Never before have they been suspended. William had been close on a few occasions, but neither had been suspended. They sat in fear, before being ushered out of the headmaster’s office by the secretary.

As they silently shuffled down the hallway in shock, to collect their bags, prior to being picked up by their parents, they passed another student. Luke was on his way to the Headmasters office.

Luke walks in, brimming with confidence.

“Hello, sir”

“Hello Luke, how can I help you?”

“I don’t want to go to the public school now. Can I stay here?”

“But Luke, your parents have already done all the paperwork.”

“Yes, I know, I’m sorry about this, but I had a look at that school and it doesn’t look very good. I don’t want to go there.”

“Well okay then, I’ll see what I can do. Is there anything else?”

“Yeah, I think my friend wants to do the same as well.”

“It’s just one of those days!”

746 words.

Titanic

First Grade
titan.jpg
Well, here we go, stepping into unchartered territory. Titanic leads a new look Titans out with a rebel yell, echoed by all and sundry ... and a little squeal that heralds bgdc's debut into F7's competition. (750 words including title below the stars).

fans.jpg

A League Moment

Head in his hands, the lock crouches in the sheds and focuses on some inner strength that will take him through those first ten minutes. Hit and spin – no off-load unless there is a call – no off-load. That prick Smithy, he big-noted himself in the paper last week, bugger him, I’m going to smash him first chance I get. Concentrate now, no off-load, no friggin’ off load!

The Coach takes another look around the dressing shed, assessing his team’s mood, waiting for the moment to call his charges together. I can feel it, they can all feel it. Without Bruiser we’re going to struggle for respect up front. Bloody idiot and his mindless swinging arm, now the team is looking to Bluey but he’s on one ankle. Christ, where is that team sheet?

Doubles, along with chook raffles, have been one of the pillars of bush rugby league, and it's the often unrewarded volunteers who do the leg work. C’mon fella’s, support your club. Just a few bucks won’t hurt you. Will we win? We’ll shoe it in! Gee, better finish selling these off quickly so I can get back up and help work the scoreboard.

Adjusting his socks, the referee breaths deeply and thinks back to the training session last Thursday. I really didn’t want to ref, this weekend. If Peter hadn’t pulled up with his dicky knee then I would have asked for a break. I can’t believe I have both Mike and Clive on the line again … one is bad enough but the two of them … heaven help me.

The weather looks like taking a turn for the worse and the mother in the ‘stand looks around for her two children playing near the fence. Jimmy seems to have recovered from that knock he got in the U8’s yesterday – tough little nut though. Sandy is really starting to look like her Dad. It’s a pity she doesn’t like dressing-up and such but then again coming from a rugby league family like ours, what should I expect? I hope it doesn’t rain, we really should win today.

On the massage table the captain is getting the final strapping around his troublesome ankle. This has got to be my last year; I can’t take too much more of this. I’ve nearly paid off my house and I think I’ll get the next supervisors job at the Post Office if I don’t stuff up. Man, I used to love playing so much but now I just want to get it over with. Look at Davo over there, full of beans. They reckon I should be jealous of all that talent, bloody relief if you ask me. Pity he can’t shut up, though.

In the queue at the gate looms the sponsor showing-up for his first game of the season even though this is Round 8. Why do I keep pouring money into these guys? The mileage is good when they are winning and community spirit doesn’t do any harm either. That bloody thug Bruiser got sent off again. You'd think they’d come out to meet me. I hate having to stand here like a pork chop. … “Oh, hi John! Wonderful to be met by the Chairman. Will we win?”

Nerves seem tangible for the rookie making his first grade debut. There’s nowhere to hide. I should have listened to my Dad: next year I’ll be stronger, heavier. Coach reckons I’ll be right. Me mates reckon I’ll be right. Stuff it, it’s too late now. Bruiser said I’ll just be another number out there anyway. I’m gonna follow Skip around the paddock and hope I get some clean ball. Crikey, why didn’t I listen to my Dad?

The smells of league aren’t limited to dressing sheds and liniment. Steak and onions bring a life of their own to a game. The fat bloke wearing last year’s jersey, a size too small, sucks in his gut. Bloody hell, what’s wrong with these canteen women? They’re slower than … "a beer and a … no, make it two pies with sauce, thanks."

He sits where he’s sat for the past fifty years. I’m not sure how we’ll go today. If we had that Bruiser character playing I’m sure we’d knock them off. The field’s still the same but without the old faces it’s not really. The new players look so goddamn young. Since Colleen passed, I wouldn’t know what to do without my footy.

Last edited:

Titan Uranus

Juniors
Titan Uranus struts manfully onto the field for the Titans to the delight of BGDC and the chagrin of her would-be suitor Ma'Dunit. Tired of all this Origin stuff he will focus his efforts on the northern hemisphere game this week.

748 words below the stars

The English Food Chain
Picture2%20copy.jpg

Every month the National Geographic travels all over the world to bring its readers articles about fascinating animals and tribes from exotic locations. However, they have overlooked one of the most peculiar eco-systems in the world, the M62.

The M62 eco-system is named (by me) after the narrow corridor of land in northern England where it is situated. The eastern end of the eco-system was previously home to sharks (superorder Selachimorpha) that would trawl the depths in search of prey. Dominant in the watery underworld the sharks began to rise only to find that life in leagues under the sea is easier than in the rarefied air of the “super” league. Although able to survive near the top for a short period of time sharks must quickly return to the depths or perish. So it remains, that while these sharks may periodically rise towards the top, they never remain there – as is also the case with the southern hemisphere species Selachimorpha Cronulla. In order to combat this, the M62 sharks underwent an unbelievable transformation … into birds, Airlie birds to be precise.

There are two birds native to this section, the other being the European robin (Erithacus rubecula), easily identifiable by its red breast. Despite its comparatively tiny size the robin has managed to hold its own with the larger species, no mean feat for an insectivore in an area where the smallest animal (apart from itself) is the wildcat.

The wildcat (Felis silvestris) and its feline relative the tiger (Panthera tigris) have both struggled to assert their dominance on the local animals and have therefore been unable to force their way up the food chain. Feasting on small mammals and birds the wildcats have been grateful for the presence of the nearby robins. While the wildcat is able to adapt to almost any environment the same is not true of tigers. Despite a pitifully transparent attempt to help them to acclimatise by renaming their home “The Jungle” the tigers continually struggle for survival.

Animals are often more successful if they learn to co-operate well with one another. One of the prime examples of this is the wolf (Canis lupus). Working together, the wolves of the M62 eco-system have managed to rise above the cats and birds but its pack is still not strong enough to reach the pinnacle of the food chain, finding their way blocked by much larger creatures.

The two animals at the top of the food chain are also the two largest. They are the bull (subfamily Bovinae) and the rhinoceros (family Rhinocerotidae). Previously the bull, a native of the M62 landscape, was traditionally superior to the rhinoceros. However, after gradually getting used to the foreign terrain the rhino proceeded to stampede through this “super” league of species until finally reaching the top of the food chain in 2004. The M62 eco-system though is nothing if not dynamic and the following year the tables were turned once more with the bulls coming out on top only for the rhinos to later force their way back into their current position at the peak of this food chain.

Normally humans are at the top of any food chain but the same is not true here. The harlequins of the south (and geographically not a part of the M62 eco-system) have generally lived up to their names and provided nothing more than a light diversion. Although large, the giants that inhabit this area do not match their physical might with an intellectual one. The warriors of this land are more adept at conquering wild animals and so have proven to be much more successful. Unfortunately for them in recent years some of the animals, particularly the bulls and the rhinos have evolved and learnt how to counter the warriors’ attacks. The one humanoid species still able to fight off the bulls and rhinos have been the saints who have, with a little help from above, been superior to all species for more years than any other.

As for what the future holds we must look further afield. All animals face the threat of a foreign species at one time or another and these ones are no different. The dragons from Catalonia have previously been unable to work their way up the food chain but this year are showing all the signs that this may not continue, we shall wait and see. Lest we forget, dragons are bigger than both bulls and rhinos.

Last edited:

tits&tans

Juniors
titan.jpg
tits&tans strides on to the pitch for the Titans in a scholarly fashion, wearing a tweed jacket, sucking on a pipe and adjusts his monocle.. then realises this is not the right place for dress up ...

750 words below the line

Trajectory of a prolate ellipsoid: perturbations in 3D gravitational forcefield

Abstract: Using Newtonian mechanics and a knowledge of NRL regulations, it is possible to calculate the path taken through the air by a prolate ellipsoid (rugby league ball) upon provision of momentum proportional to the force applied, assuming no other forces, other than gravity, act upon it.

1 Introduction

Being derived from football, Rugby League (RL) involves a large amount of kicking, both from set pieces and in general play. It is an important skill to master and often results in last-minute success.

2 Mechanics of Kicking

2.1 Types of Kick

2.1.1 Place
Used to start the game at kick-off, to convert tries and/or to kick penalties. The ball remains stationary and fixed in position on some support (a heel mark, sand mound or kicking tee).

2.1.2 Punt
Often used as an attacking manoeuvre, the bomb can create confusion amongst the opposition’s defence. The ball is dropped from the player’s hands and struck by the foot before it hits the ground.

2.1.3 Drop
Used to restart a game from a drop-out under the posts or to kick for a field goal. Similar to a punt, except for that the ball must first hit the ground before being struck.

2.1.4 Derived Kicks
Hybrid kicks abound in this sport, including the chip, banana, torpedo and the grubber.

kicking02.gif

2.2 Biomechanical Process
RL kicks follow some version of this sequence:

• Plant
  • Upper limb acceleration
  • Lower limb acceleration
  • Contact
  • Follow through

3 Background

3.1 Ellipsoid's Speed
It is known that the speed of the ball is related to the speed of the foot at contact. However, the ratio of foot to ellipsoid speed, while less than unity, is still open to further research. Foot speed is related to the angular velocity of the knee, the rotation of the pelvis and the forward motion of the player.

3.2 Round-the-corner Style
Rather than the traditional “toe-poke”, Willie Home developed the round-the-corner style in the 1940s. This was imported into Australia in 1975 by John Gray, playing for the North Sydney Bears. This style is considered superior due to:
a) A increased chance of middling the ball.
b) An increased foot extension, leading to higher foot speed and better momentum transfer.

3.3 Upper Limb Swinging
The swinging of the non-kicking-side arm across the chest, upon contact with the ball, has been shown to improve the accuracy of a long distance kick. The added momentum from this swing helps control the pelvic rotation and counteracts the leg movement, both of which reduce the margin of error.

4 Trajectory Calculation

4.1 Assumptions

• A simple (spherical) projectile (no air resistance or spin).
  • Symmetrical trajectory about the apex.
  • Horizontal velocity is constant.
  • Vertical velocity is subject to gravity (downward acceleration of 9.8ms^-2).
Standard kinematic equations for motion in a straight line with constant acceleration, using SI symbols, resolves the velocity:

Horizontal s = 2utcosθ Vertical v = usinθ – gt

At the apex v = 0. After further substitution, this gives: t = (u^2)sin2θ( g^-1).

It is now possible to derive an expression for the maximum height the ball reaches. The shape of such a trajectory is a parabola.

Picture1.jpg

4.2 Air Resistance
Calculating the drag (force) on the ball each instant involves knowing the drag coefficient and altering the above acceleration accordingly. The trajectory is now steeper in the descending portion than in the ascending portion. The basic assumption made here is that the ball is not tumbling in flight and presents a minimal frontal area to the air flow.

4.3 Spin
If the ball spins about the longitudinal axis, the frontal area increases during flight. This raises the drag coefficient, and hence magnifies the drag on the ball. In turn, this provides lift and lengthens the ball’s flight time.

If the ball spins about the line of flight at all times, there is no effect on the speed of the air flow and thus no noticeable difference to the trajectory. Should the air flow, however, be unequal about the ball, the Magnus effect comes into play, and the trajectory becomes unstable and increasingly unpredictable.

Causing the ball to tumble end over end reduces the range of the kick, but does give greater accuracy.

5 Conclusion

Although it has been demonstrated that, in theory, a trajectory is straightforward to predict, it’s unlikely that Jonathan Thurston or even the legendary Daryl Halligan took the time to study such prolate ellipsoidal paths in such detail.

Last edited:

bgdc

Juniors
titan.jpg

Still smarting from the face slapping, locker butting pre-match rev up, bgdc rockets onto the field for the Titans. Never mind the sports bra, my Mum advised me, just find a place for that tazer. (750 words including the title graphic).

Inner Secrets
with Bobby Fulltime

Call me a Legend, call me an Immortal but never call me "late for happy hour". You may take solace from my wisdom.

Dear Bobby,
I have been with my halves partner for nearly three seasons but recently things have gone stale. When we were first thrust together we couldn’t stop scoring. We could do it two or three times in eighty minutes, and in every possible way: inside flicks; overheads; face balls. Tragically, the spark has gone out of our scoring and now it is always predictable; mainly penalties or bombs. What can we do to recapture the magic?

Bothered_
Braithe@Bondi.Caryard.net

Dear Braithe:
To spice things up you could try role-plays. When I was having problems with my halves partner, Stumpy Hasty at the Chicken Coop in the early eighties, we would often try acting out fantasies to rekindle the fire. Stumpy liked me dressed as cranky old Terrible Lambchop and he’d select gossamer Stevie Mortimouse outfits. It can be a lot of fun, and you’ll soon be scoring as regularly as I look at myself in shop windows.

Dear Bobby,
I'm a prop and I've played league since U9’s. I accidentally switched on an AFL match last weekend and found, to my disgust, that I liked it. I thought that I was just curious, and displaying how comfortable I am with League. Instead I became increasingly excited by frenetic long-legged, tattooed marking and when I applauded a titillating shirt front, I knew I'd crossed a line.
I'm repulsed with myself, yet I've had flashbacks of my "experiment" when packing down in scrums. Last week a prankster teammate wore 'Rules shorts to training and to my shame, when the others were in the showers boasting about the size of their pecs, I snuck into the toilets and secretly tried them on.
I've never told anyone this before, but when I was about eight my neighbour would sneak into my room late at night and try to teach me hand-balling. Do you think this has caused these confusing feelings?
Punted.Petero
@Blue.Mountains.org

Dear Petero:
I think every player wonders what if he had chosen another sport. Although not a topic for the macho dressing shed, lots of players privately experiment with other sports behind closed doors. Mandy Mundane twice tried out for the indigenous synchronized swimming team and you'd be surprised with some of the members’ lists in private AFL clubs all over the country.
I can only imagine how traumatic your neighbourly experience must have been, and I strongly advise you to talk to a professional about this. Try my old mate Mahatma Coat’s advice line "Am I a secret half-a-back?" on 1800777666. Whatever the outcome from fully exploring your feelings, just remember, like being unable to eat a Salmon Quiche without blacking out, it doesn't make you any less of a man.

Dear Bobby,
I have been with my coach for many years. I'm really happy to be under him, and I thought he was happy with me. We've kept our relationship strictly limited to practising off-loads with the occasional fumble in the middle. However, recently he's been putting pressure on me to take it further and fill in the hole in the back row. He says that his friend Ricky's players are happy to do it, and that it will just be a bit of fun.
However, I'm a bit scared and I wanted the first time to be special, not just a positional experiment in a meaningless mid-season game at Suncorp Stadium. What should I do?

Darren2Lock@BrisVaguely.com

Dear Darren:
Don't do anything you don't want to do just because your coach thinks it is time. Be sure that you feel this coach is the one, and he's not just going to send you back to the backs the morning after. Some coaches think about nothing but filling in the hole, and I personally blame the tactical revolution of the Nineties. What you have to remember is that while they may brag, not as many people of your age have played at filling in the hole as you would think. Many of your friends will be lying or are simply talking up a night they spent playing off the bench, which is very, very different.
If you go for it, remember to take precautions. Demand that your coach uses back-up. In the end, it all comes down to feeling right, much like Ding Dong 'Dell choking on a brownie or craving a bennie.

Last edited:

Amadean

Juniors

Amadean limps on the field for the Titans: battered, bruised and unbeaten after a thrilling Origin.

731 below the line

Maroon and Blue

maroon%20blue%20image.jpg

Associations are everywhere these days. In sport the Players' Association beeps cricket tragics’ RSS alerts with news of Pakistan-tour boycotts and player demands for longer holidays, presumably not in Pakistan. Across Australia Residents’ Associations are clogging Small Claims Courts with allegations of improper recycling practices and Tenterfield terriers secreted in 8th-floor apartments. Hell, in the larger world the Global Wordnet Association claims to be “a society dedicated to the collection and standardization of wordnets, corpora, and other basic language processing tools”. This, I find particularly terrifying as I have no damn idea what they’re saying, never mind what they stand for. It could be world domination through rhythmic lexicography or simply a bunch of geeks worried the wrong dialect of Klingon will be used in the upcoming 'Star Trek: The Next-But-One Generation' movie; I truly don’t know.

Word association (particularly in psychology) is a clever, tricky play on the concept; its where all that Freudian Slip nonsense comes from. At its most simple, it involves saying the first word that comes into your mind after hearing another word. For instance, if upon hearing the word “shoe”, I immediately said “foot” then, depending on who is performing the analysis, much could be learnt about my deepest character traits. A sociologist might decide I had an overwhelming interest in the causes and meanings of intertwined relationships. A perverted Austrian psychiatrist might learn I had a powerful attraction towards my opposite-sex parent. Someone reading this on the Forum 7’s might assume I was boring. That all of these (theoretical) assumptions are correct is irrelevant: psychology by word association is still silly.

Sometimes.

The trick, as with so many things, lies with the individual. Individuals are unpredictable. Isaac Asimov noted that the movement of one particular atom within a liquid is impossible to determine, yet the movement of a liquid as a whole can be predicted with great accuracy. So it is with word associations. Hear “foot” I chose “ball”, Ben chose “boot”, Nicole chose “Prada” and Jason chose “buttock”. Whoop-de-doop. Individuals are weird. We choose under unknown constraints for random reasons, like an atom in a river.

Large groups of people are less weird. As rivers flow they develop currents and erosion patterns, which hydrologists can predict. As large groups of people choose they exhibit traits, patterns and unwittingly divulge information.

This may be a good point at which to take a closer look at the New South Wales Blues and the Queensland Maroons. Blue versus Maroon.

Maroon is a strange colour, red with a tint of brown. Blood split over bare earth, perhaps, or a sunset at Vesuvius. Maroon is red left in the baking sun for thirty years; the verb maroon means to desert someone on an island. There is nothing soft about Maroon, no matter how you associate it. It’s also unique, in that no other Association or Team takes Maroon as a title. This choice of colour for the Queensland State of Origin team answers every question that can be asked about our passion, determination and favourite tablecloth colours. Shane Webcke was a hard, weather-beaten, educated, individualistic, skilful, brave and resourceful player: dare cut him and he’d bleed maroon.

Blue now, well blue is a little different. Many babies have beautiful blue eyes when they are born, which evokes feelings of tenderness. Microsoft chose blue to lead their Windows colour scheme due to its gentle and unthreatening nature. Insurance brokers wear blue ties with charcoal suits, because that combination is boring and inoffensive.

There is, of course, more. To be depressed or saddened is said to be “feeling blue”, depressed (and awesome) music is called “The Blues” and The Who (also awesome) sang “Behind Blue Eyes” about a sad, lonely person.

Amongst the pampered aristocracy, blue blood was said to be a noble trait: these soft and useless specimens never ventured into the sun to work or play. Their skin remained as pale as milk, every artery traced in blue networks. They also suffered from Vitamin D deficiency-induced rickets, which says a great deal for natural selection.

In sport we have the Auckland Blues (wrong code and country), the Cleveland Blues (boring), the Winnipeg South Blues (see Cleveland), Misty Blues (women’s skydiving) and the French national soccer team. These teams all chose to be associated with delicate, safe, boring blue.

As did New South Wales.

Last edited:

Azkatro

First Grade
panthers.gif

Azkatro posting for the Panthers.

The forgotten centenary

What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you read about this being the centenary year of rugby league?

You might think back to the formation of the league in Sydney. How bold entrepreneurs and players took a great leap of faith. The uncertainty and excitement of punters in NSW and Queensland back in those early days when they saw what a fast, open game it was.

Although maybe you’re different – maybe you’re a bit like me. What’s the first thing that comes to my mind when I read “centenary year of rugby league,” you ask?

I think of the George Hotel in Huddersfield, England – the birthplace of rugby league.

Of course I realise that this is the centenary year of rugby league in Australia, but those all-important two words at the end are neglected too much for my liking.

This couldn’t be more evident when reading the newspaper over the past few months.

“Birchgrove Oval… the ground where rugby league was first played in 1908,” says one article.

“May 9, the exact date the very first Test was held 100 years ago,” trumpets another.

“… events to celebrate 100 years of rugby league,” I read.

“Rugby League’s centenary year,” another column quips.

If your everyday layperson were to read the paper and browse over quotes such as these, they would be forgiven for thinking that the wonderful sport of rugby league indeed kicked off for the first time in Australia, in the year nineteen hundred and eight.

So with that in mind, I am going to take this opportunity to present a quick history lesson of rugby league in England – a topic I feel we could all use a little bit more education on.

Firstly, it all began on August 29th, 1895. That is more than four thousand days before the formation of the New South Wales Rugby Football League, which is widely regarded as the starting point of rugby league in Australia.

Plenty happened over the course of those days, too.

To coincide with the league season, the Challenge Cup and Lancashire/Yorkshire County Cups were established.

Goals were made to be worth two points. Line-outs were scrapped. If the ball went into touch, a scrum was formed. The number of players was reduced from 15 to 13. The play-the-ball was brought in.

There is so much history entwined in English rugby league that is sadly forgotten, or neglected, in Australia.

For example, we all hear quite often about the four remaining “foundation” clubs which are still involved in the NRL to this day. Did you know that there are eight English Superleague teams which have been around since the first league season in 1895? They are Hull, Wigan, Bradford, Leeds, Warrington, St. Helens, Wakefield Trinity and Huddersfield.

An incredible statistic by any measure is the number of games of rugby league some of the English clubs have played. Hull has racked up more than 3,500 league games during its 113 year history – and that doesn’t even include playoff matches, cup fixtures or tour games. By comparison, the Sydney Roosters have played a modest 1,837 league games – almost half the number.

Despite the rich history the English clubs possess, things are obviously a lot different today, given Australia’s long-standing dominance of the code. This was no more evident than in 1995 when the Superleague war began. Whilst we will have a fairly firm grasp of the events that unfolded, few here would realise the impact Superleague had on the English game. Part of the plan to win the war was to establish control of the global game, so News Corporation offered the English RFL a £77m package – an offer which was too good for cash-strapped clubs to refuse. Unsurprisingly, the vast majority voted in favour of accepting the offer.

This all took place during the oft-quoted “centenary year” of rugby league. Not the 2008 version, but the 1995 version.

Given the notorious nature of the original centenary, it comes as no surprise that the NRL is working hard to make sure the Centenary season of rugby league in Australia goes off without a hitch.

But it is vitally important to remember the game’s history in full, especially its foundations in the north of England.

Particularly when you consider the possibility that if it wasn’t for the formation of rugby league in England, we would only have the other three football codes to choose from.

747 words. Liftoff!

Big Mick

Referee
panthers.gif

Big Mick storm's out and takes a hit-up for the first time on his new computer for the Panthers!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tombstone

R.I.P Rugby League:

It’s the early 1990’s and Rugby League is number one. Tina Turner blasts Simply the Best to sell out crowds, the community supporting the game and everyone is in love with League. Fast forward to 2008 and we are led to believe that League is boring; that all players are mindless thugs and that the game is dying. What has changed since 1994 and more importantly what can the fans, the media and the administrators do to take League to the landmark status it once achieved? This article will review some of the pressing issues in the game today.

Marketing:

Marketing is commonly known as the cornerstone of any organisation. Without an entertaining and memorable marketing campaign generating public interest, many organisations fall into bankruptcy. In the early 1990’s League players were the poster boys of Australia. In 2008 however, Rugby League advertising levels and promotion of the game in general is at an all time low due to conservative spending by Clubs and the NRL.

In order for League to reach the hearts and minds of the Australian public more needs to be done in the marketing arena. Intense marketing campaigns promoting fierce rivalries, ala Manly vs Parramatta in the 1980’s, increase the crowds and value of a game, yet are now non-existent. An effective marketing campaign generates the most important type of public acknowledgement, word-of-mouth. People still speak today of Tina Turner’s simply the best, but who can remember in between then and now?

Leadership:

The NRL itself is not an effective Leadership group. At any organisation it is common knowledge that the more levels of management there are the more inefficient and costly an organisation is, yet the lines of bureaucracy are clearly blemished when it comes to the administration of Rugby League. For the future of the game these chains of command need to stop and merge the betterment of Rugby League. Only then will we be able to see the true reach Rugby League has and be able to see the game expand as a national product.

Positive Media:

News Limited, a supposed supporter and investor in the game has been the central culprit in the reason that many have turned off the game in the last decade. Since Super League, News Limited “tabloid” papers have exploited League for personal financial benefit and in the process tainted the image of the game.

The people’s game has turned into fanfare with players being blamed for incidents they did not partake in or have any instigation. An article by Ray Chesterton two days ago exemplifies this with a headline “Benji Lashes out”, stating the games image is a minute to midnight before the point of no return. Let’s firstly say what the hell does that actually mean and the real question of why was the Telegraph paying a thug hitting a player for a photo in the first place?

Until the game gets a fair go with the media and the so called “leaders” that run our game stand up to the tyrants that only seek to ruin it, then we will not see League flourish as it should.

Better Product:

While we our game it is becoming increasingly evident that is needs a shake up as far as entertainment value is concerned. Increasingly popular is the “safety first” dummy half motto played with the lack of flair and flamboyance. In the last decade we’ve seen the last of the “character footballer”; instead, athletic robots take the field with no skill level.

For the betterment of our code and attraction of supporters, the NRL needs to bring back the ideals that made our code great. The ideals that any men whatever shape or build could play the game. Ensure we return to the ideal of a “thinking man’s” game, rather than bash and barge. We need to be able to see players such as little players electrify our screens weekly and then we will see the fans return.

While the points above only scratch the surface on a vital talking point in League, it is safe to say that while many try to death-ride the code, League still has a lot to offer the Australian community. The working man’s game it is and always will be. With more focussed leadership, positive media and a revamp on the way our code is played, I have no doubt that the future of League is bright and the doomsayers’ will soon fade into the sunset.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
748 Words

[furrycat]

Coach
Cat for the panthers.

Why is everybody always picking on me?

10 years previous...
And next on sport, another rugby league player in strife, after being caught assaulting a patron at a Kings Cross night club. More after the break....

My father quickly turned the television off.

“What did you do that for?” I asked, “Can’t we see what that is all about?” My dad walked over towards me and put his hand on my shoulder.

“Son, I don’t want you to grow up and be like these guys. You’re better than that. Playing sport as a career is a privilege, and you should be a role model. There is no need to be like these idiots and get into the news for all the wrong reasons. They never take responsibility, and half of them probably don’t understand” he replied. I nodded and pretended I understood what he was talking about.

Today...
I walked into the press room. I was blinded the second I walked in by constant flashing of the cameras, and all I could hear were the inaudible questions being shouted by at me by the several journalists sitting in front of the table. One man looked quite angry, but I couldn’t tell if that was because he was angry, or if his eye brows just naturally looked that way. I couldn’t understand what any of them were saying, but I was upset by the fact that none of that had complimented my new tie.

My manager hushed the anxious crowd and pleaded with them to settle down for a moment. I sat down and looked at the fifty faces staring at me, each one dying to ask me a question. It was a big moment for me; all eyes were on me and I was the focus of attention. My father would be proud.

My manager moved a piece of paper in front of me. I asked him, “What am I going to need this for?”
“When you get asked a question, just choose a random response from this page. Read the first paragraph to start the press conference off, and do it with a really monotonous tone. Make sure you at least SOUND sorry. Clear your throat a few times mid-sentence, it makes it sound as if you are having trouble keeping your emotions together.” I was confused by why he wanted me to do this. I had a few good one liners that I thought would get a few laughs, so I’ll try and throw them in a bit later.

I looked at the piece of paper, and read the first paragraph.
”I am very disappointed with my own actions, and am deeply sorry for what I have done. I have brought great shame to my family, my friends, my club, but most of all myself. What I did was stupid, and if I had the chance, I’d ... “I cleared my throat and continued, “... I’d certainly have done things differently. I apologise to anyone who has been hurt during this ordeal”. I smiled to the adoring photographers as they clicked away on their cameras.
“My client will take one question before we end this conference” declared my manager.
A female journalist stood up. She looked rather annoyed, but I think she was just graced by my presence and was frustrated she had to wait so long to speak to me. She immediately fired a question towards me,
“What makes you think that rugby league players can break the law and get away with it?” I stared into her eyes and slowly moved my eyes down her body. She had the perfect figure; large breasts, a clean face, and no noticeable love handles. I prayed that she didn’t have a boyfriend, as I was going to ask her out at the end of this conference. My manager nudged me impatiently, interrupting my fantasy, and pointed to the sheet in front of me. I chose a random line and read,
“As I said, this was an isolated incident, and I have learnt from my mistake. It will never happen again”. Boy, she had a nice body.
“Do you not even have a soul? Do you REALLY care that you have hurt innocent people?” she replied. Her lips were so beautiful to watch, articulating each letter so perfectly. Again, I felt the nudge, and had to choose another random line,
“I don’t wish to comment”.
... I hope she is single, and that she loves league players!

747 words.

Titanic

First Grade
Great effort Titans (bgdc go and have a rub down ... Amadean go and have a cold shower). Good effort Panthers. 5v5 will give MrF some quality homework (mine was never like that).

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
awesome match everyone. Most of the Maroons side is playing here I think!

bgdc

Juniors
Gee, I certainly feel better now that that's over. Thanks everybody for the experience.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
you have a maroons ref as well :p

i'll get onto these either on friday or over the weekend guys, i'm busy all day tommorow.

Also, Mich, whats with all the captains lol...

Titanic

First Grade
But we aren't, bgdc must walk two paces behind and one to the left, carrying the beer under one arm, the steaks under the other with the bbq balanced on her head ... nearly the perfect woman (thank heavens she has a sense of humour ... I hope).

Latest posts