What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 vs. Cowboys Discussion + Voting

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Really looking forward to this one. This is really the decider for who is still on top in Queensland. Either the Cowboys jump both us and the Titans if they score enough points, or we jump the Titans and leave both of them behind under the same circumstances.

Reed + Hoffman should get plenty on Tate and Winterstein who have been pretty hot and cold over the first 5 rounds. Very concerned about the Halves battle. JT is more of a player than Prince and Wallace combined. Norman should take his newfound good form and capitalize on it at the back. McGuire and Thaiday back in the pack really helps too, although I really feel like Glenn should keep the C.

Shut down JT, attack down the short side as usual and we should get up in a thriller.

Chainshada

Juniors
Hopefully:

1. Norman
2. Hoffman
3. Reed
4. Hodges
5. Kemp (Maranta just seems far too slow to stay here)
6. Prince
7. Wallace
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Hunt
15. Gillett
16. Anderson
17. Slyney (looked good for his limited time last week)

18. Timu

If McGuire isn't back this week, I'd much rather see Parker moved to prop, Gillett to lock and for Thaiday to stick to the back row.

I'm expecting a fairly close game, wife-beater's injury should make us the favourite though.

unbreaK

Juniors
Hopefully:

1. Norman
2. Hoffman
3. Reed
4. Hodges
5. Kemp (Maranta just seems far too slow to stay here)
6. Prince
7. Wallace
8. Hannant
9. McCullough
10. McGuire
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Hunt
15. Gillett
16. Anderson
17. Slyney

That'd be my team except with Hala on the bench instead of Anderson (He had 1 or 2 semi-productive games, but let's be honest, he's an average player), plus we need Hala to get some more match fitness so he can give us some go forward during origin.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
That'd be my team except with Hala on the bench instead of Anderson (He had 1 or 2 semi-productive games, but let's be honest, he's an average player), plus we need Hala to get some more match fitness so he can give us some go forward during origin.

I think he's more likely to be named then Slyney is, to be honest. Hook seems to have made Anderson a mainstay, against basic logic. Anderson was pretty bad on Friday, imo. He gave away like 3 penalties.

Big Pete

Referee
2 penalties and I they were pretty weak calls from the referee.

Defensively, he was very good for us Anderson.

Chainshada

Juniors
Thought he was only out for 1-2 weeks from r3, hopefully will be ready for r6. I like 2 things about Maranta..he plays to the whistle, and he comes in looking for work to give our props a breather, so I think there are better options, but I won't be crushed if he's still there.

While Anderson hasn't been great for us offensively, he gets through a decent amount of defensive work, Hala just isn't fit enough to play first grade yet, 3 hit ups and 3 tackles is all he managed on Friday(stats keep changing, now it's saying 1 hitup/5 tackles..), a few weeks/months in QLD cup and he'll be good I think.

Last edited:

Country Bronco

Juniors
I lean towards Anderson despite thinking Hala and Slyney haven't put a foot wrong. Perhaps Hala needs more match fitness in Qcup and Slyney needs more nrl. On the other hand throw Lui into mix and stagg and we've got depth.

Anyways brought my tickets and excited. Thurston and mango are always going to be a threat. I can remember last year's game mango runs around parker from scrum to score matchwinner. Apart from that Linnett, Tate and Cooper and their front row of course are worries. They've had the wood on us for awhile. I just want to win one back. So many of my mates are cowboys supporters so it adds to the tension of the game. This will be a ding dong battle. Who dares the most will win. Some clichés to end.

jakepearce94

Juniors
I lean towards Anderson despite thinking Hala and Slyney haven't put a foot wrong. Perhaps Hala needs more match fitness in Qcup and Slyney needs more nrl. On the other hand throw Lui into mix and stagg and we've got depth.

Anyways brought my tickets and excited. Thurston and mango are always going to be a threat. I can remember last year's game mango runs around parker from scrum to score matchwinner. Apart from that Linnett, Tate and Cooper and their front row of course are worries. They've had the wood on us for awhile. I just want to win one back. So many of my mates are cowboys supporters so it adds to the tension of the game. This will be a ding dong battle. Who dares the most will win. Some clichés to end.
not worried about most of their team except bowen, we have to shut him down, he always plays well against us ! also we need to stick on wrap tamou up so he can't offload.

Big Pete

Referee
Team I expect to see...

1. Corey Norman
2. Josh Hoffman
3. Jack Reed
4. Justin Hodges
5. Lachlan Maranta
6. Scott Prince
7. Peter Wallace
8. Ben Hannant
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Sam Thaiday (c)
11. Alex Glenn
12. Matt Gillett
13. Corey Parker

14. Ben Hunt
15. Nick Slyney
16. Josh McGuire
17. Scott Anderson

Changes I'd rather see...

6. Peter Wallace
7. Ben Hunt

10. Scott Anderson
12. Sam Thaiday (c)
14. Kurt Baptiste
15. Matt Gillett
16. Josh McGuire
17. David Hala

For those wanting an alternative to Maranta, Berryman scored a hat-trick against the Capras on the weekend.

Morkel

Juniors
To counter Scott & Tamou, I think we need to start Hannant & Anderson. Thaiday to the bench, bring him on with McGuire so they can counter when Taumalolo comes on.

jakepearce94

Juniors
To counter Scott & Tamou, I think we need to start Hannant & Anderson. Thaiday to the bench, bring him on with McGuire so they can counter when Taumalolo comes on.
you really think that hook will start thaiday on the bench ?

Bretto

Bench
This should be a friggen awesome game. My mate tried to order some tickets today but there was only the nosebleed section left, so we let it be. I'll be watching on the telly.

Impressed with our effort last week against the Titans. If we can replicate that form, we're in with a red hot chance in this one. Can't wait.

Country Bronco

Juniors
Agreed, I just call him Mango instead of bowen. I think Thurston calls him Mango too.
not worried about most of their team except bowen, we have to shut him down, he always plays well against us ! also we need to stick on wrap tamou up so he can't offload.

Country Bronco

Juniors
For the life of me I am trying to figure out why you don't see Wallace and Prince as our best halves combination? I respect your opinion enough to say you've got good reason to be against this combination or in preference of another combination. I can't put my finger on your exact reason though.
Team I expect to see...

1. Corey Norman
2. Josh Hoffman
3. Jack Reed
4. Justin Hodges
5. Lachlan Maranta
6. Scott Prince
7. Peter Wallace
8. Ben Hannant
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Sam Thaiday (c)
11. Alex Glenn
12. Matt Gillett
13. Corey Parker

14. Ben Hunt
15. Nick Slyney
16. Josh McGuire
17. Scott Anderson

Changes I'd rather see...

6. Peter Wallace
7. Ben Hunt

10. Scott Anderson
12. Sam Thaiday (c)
14. Kurt Baptiste
15. Matt Gillett
16. Josh McGuire
17. David Hala

For those wanting an alternative to Maranta, Berryman scored a hat-trick against the Capras on the weekend.

Chainshada

Juniors
It's because they're too similar, and neither are very creative or have any vision..They both play to the gameplan and their own structure, if the opposing team can influence the Broncos' structure towards the end of a set, they flop around like a fish out of water.

Hunt on the other hands tends to play what's infront of him, which I don't think Griffin likes, and is why he doesn't get a chance to prove himself and his playing style (again, my personal opinion). Take Reed's almost-try on Friday, I'm 100% certain that Prince/Wallace would have either passed hoping they could get through or died with the ball instead of grubbering behind the line.

Latest posts