What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 vs Sharks

Fangs

Coach
Ivan Cleary was asked in the press conference if would've been a better idea to move Blake to Xerri's side due to Xerri's pace.

Cleary responded that he isn't accountable to that journalist and what he does with the left edge is his decision. He then got up and walked out.

ERM...

Panfa

Juniors
I think ivan will go for fuimaono in the centres boys he played 1st grade there for souths does lack a bit of speed but can find the tryline especially close to the line very strong runner.

Abacus

Juniors
Ivan Cleary was asked in the press conference if would've been a better idea to move Blake to Xerri's side due to Xerri's pace.

Cleary responded that he isn't accountable to that journalist and what he does with the left edge is his decision. He then got up and walked out.
Since he raised it, who is he accountable to? Gus? Or just his mate Dave?

CCJohnC

Juniors
It seems to me there has been general changes in most teams that we have not caught up with due mainly to our roster. (1) At least one winger is over 187cm (6'2") and able to score from high balls and defend same. (2) Faster and younger backs are being seen more of and we certainly lack speed in a lot of areas, (3) Size of forwards does not appear to lessen speed or determination and most teams have a big bopper whereas I think we lack that giant to start or come off bench. Times are a changing.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I really hope Jed gets a run in the centres.
Or
DWZ and Aiken’s to FB.

I think it will be Fui, but I’m hoping for different.

Mr Spock!

Referee

5 years.......

Panfa

Juniors
Dave will be lucky to see out the season if this rubbish keeps up and cleary will be lucky to be in charge for 50 of those 119 games left.

DaveMc

Juniors

What a f**king child.

Kilkenny

Coach
You can say what you like about Ivan Cleary but he is not a fool.

He is a smart fellow and he is only too well aware of our issues.

I don’t think he can perform miracles hence it is looking increasingly likely this season may be one to forget.

Ivan with the backing of Gus needs to fix the spine. His son obviously remains our long term half, Egan is probably worth persevering with but has to be able to play the full 80. James Maloney can still deliver what he does but age has caught up with him so needs be moved on. As for fullback going forward we need to give Aekins the gig now and see what he can deliver or elevate Dane Laurie who is a potential superstar for next season. Fast tracking Stephen Chrichton into Whares position would also make a difference.

Come June when it is likely our top 8 chances may be slim at best it will be a great opportunity for Ivan to stamp his mark on his Panthers side. Yes it will involve out with the old in with the new but the talent is here Ivan just needs to be brave.

I can see a better side in the near future consisting of Laurie, Too, Chrichton, Blake, DWZ/Mansour, Laui, Cleary, Tamou, Egan, Leniu, Kikau, Yeo, JFH, and any number of bench options.

This season is not shaping up well but I can see greats days ahead if we can offload a few players whose time are up, astute recruits in areas which need to be addressed and despite what is being said on here the potential remains untapped. Ivan and Gus just need to address there issues and sort out the obvious areas where our roster needs fixed.

Last edited:

chrisD

Coach
We looked like a decent run team with the ball this week. Better than we’ve looked over 80 mins for a longer time than I can remember.

Defence was putrid, if Sharks were finishing competently they’d have put 40 on us.

Kilkenny

Coach
The interesting thing from last night was Maloney v Johnson. Maloney did some great things sets up Grant, pinpoint kick for the Cleary try amazing 40/20 but his lack of speed came back to bite us on numerous occasions and in comparison Shaun Johnson’s speed was instrumental in turning the game the sharks way. Could Jerome Laui be as effective as James Maloney perhaps perhaps not but he is your Shaun Johnson style of player and for all the good James Maloney does his lack of pace is a huge liability. If Nathan Cleary was somehow able to deliver what Maloney does in offence it would make the transition to Jerome so much easier.

Kilkenny

Coach
We looked like a decent run team with the ball this week. Better than we’ve looked over 80 mins for a longer time than I can remember.

Defence was putrid, if Sharks were finishing competently they’d have put 40 on us.
Seriously our putrid defence was our failure to shut down last tackle plays or one on occasion concede a try on the first tackle in the case of the Xerri try. The team defended there line for god knows how many sets with some help from the officials where a few calls went against us and finally succumbed with the Fafita try. The guts, determination and the commitment to hold out as long as they did should be commended not dismissed as putrid. We survive the penalty try play and we win that game and the conversation on here would be so much different to what it is now. Real shame.

Latest posts