What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 6 vs Sharks

mxlegend99

Referee
Penrith Panthers winger Josh Mansour continues to battle a shoulder injury that should have sidelined him for at least a month.

Mansour suffered a high-grade AC joint strain and ruptured clavicle ligament when he was hit by Reed Mahoney and Tepai Moeroa in a run off the scrum during the Panthers' round one loss to Parramatta in March.

He missed Penrith's's round two win over Newcastle but rather than spend further time on the sidelines, the 28-year-old is not willing to give up his spot on the wing and has opted to play through the pain barrier.

The former Australian winger is averaging career-low figures overall but has looked more comfortable in recent weeks to coincide with the return of Viliame Kikau on the left edge.

"I can't put any excuses because every player that takes the field is equal at the end of the day," Mansour said.

"It was quite painful, I thought I broke my collarbone. I felt like my whole shoulder got lodged up and if you were looking in the mirror it felt like the collarbone was up near my ear.

"Ultimately it's a decision that lies on me to keep playing on. I've had an open discussion with [Panthers coach] Ivan [Cleary] about it and said I was confident I'd be able to do my job.

"Time is my best friend at the moment so I've just got to respect that."
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/17/injured-mansour-vows-to-soldier-on-for-patchy-panthers/

f**king selfish IMO. Soldiering on it is not. He's preventing a fully fit player who is able to do a better job from playing.

Just like Jimmy last year it shouldnt be happening. If there's a fit alternative they should be playing. Unless the injury doesn't affect your ability to do your job.

Really disappointed in both the coach and player. It hurts the team and denies a fit player the chance to play.

Fangs

Coach
Tim Grant is good in defence which will help. Poor in a 2nd stint but if we use him right he won't need one. He'd be my starting prop all season now

I think similar to when Tim Browne was starting in 2017. He was no world beater but it was about keeping the middle tight during the opening stages.

RCG in okay form (give me 7-8 good hitups and not the kick off ones) and Leota give decent punch from the bench.

franklin2323

Immortal
I think similar to when Tim Browne was starting in 2017. He was no world beater but it was about keeping the middle tight during the opening stages.

RCG in okay form (give me 7-8 good hitups and not the kick off ones) and Leota give decent punch from the bench.

Exactly. RCG after a month or so in NSW Cup to get his head right. With 50 or so minutes off the bench is best prop rotation

franklin2323

Immortal
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/04/17/injured-mansour-vows-to-soldier-on-for-patchy-panthers/

f**king selfish IMO. Soldiering on it is not. He's preventing a fully fit player who is able to do a better job from playing.

Just like Jimmy last year it shouldnt be happening. If there's a fit alternative they should be playing. Unless the injury doesn't affect your ability to do your job.

Really disappointed in both the coach and player. It hurts the team and denies a fit player the chance to play.

This is where Ivan needs to step in and not play him

martielang

Bench
Really? A few runs from dummy half and we're happy? Setting a low bar.

Huh? He had a good game & looked much improved from previous games, not sure how anyone could really argue otherwise? I don't base a players performance solely on run metres.

If Egan was banging down the door, fair enough, but IMO he's been poor & looks well behind Katoa at this point (that's not to say that won't change).

Panfa

Juniors
So josh mansour has come out and said he is playing with an injured shoulder.Why would ivan want to persist playing an injured winger when malakai is in great form and saved our arses against the knights.

franklin2323

Immortal
So josh mansour has come out and said he is playing with an injured shoulder.Why would ivan want to persist playing an injured winger when malakai is in great form and saved our arses against the knights.

2015. Soward had a stuffed back instead of getting it fixed with another pre season op.. Ivan allowed it too be nursed through the season. He lasted until round 2.

Ivan's biggest flaw is he has too much faith in the senior guys. While Mansour says he can play he will keep getting picked. Sometimes the coach needs to be the bad guy and not pick guys that are carrying injuries

mxlegend99

Referee
2015. Soward had a stuffed back instead of getting it fixed with another pre season op.. Ivan allowed it too be nursed through the season. He lasted until round 2.

Ivan's biggest flaw is he has too much faith in the senior guys. While Mansour says he can play he will keep getting picked. Sometimes the coach needs to be the bad guy and not pick guys that are carrying injuries
Hook did the same thing last year when Maloney was busted. Hook rushed back guys from injury too soon numerous times that ended up costing them more time on the sideline.

Not a trait exclusive to either coach unfortunately. If there's a fit alternative f**king pick them. Players and coach both need to cop blame when this happens

Abacus

Juniors
Huh? He had a good game & looked much improved from previous games, not sure how anyone could really argue otherwise? I don't base a players performance solely on run metres.

If Egan was banging down the door, fair enough, but IMO he's been poor & looks well behind Katoa at this point (that's not to say that won't change).
The only thing I saw "improve" from Katoa was he had a few runs. Service was erratic and his defence was poor. Overall, not a good game (against a poor team) which at least the coach has recognised.

Interesting to see how Egan goes.

Abacus

Juniors
I had him in my best 17 during the pre season but a lot of the stuff he does won't show up on stats (like the quick play the balls and the getting opposition players on their back) and given no one is pushing to claim the spot. I just mean I hope it isn't for this week only.

RCG, Edwards and a few other guys have had several shockers and still get picked
Fair enough about giving him more than a week - as long as his performance justifies it.

I'd have already dropped both RCG & Edwards rather than use them as reasons to continue with other underperforming players.

Abacus

Juniors
Exactly. RCG after a month or so in NSW Cup to get his head right. With 50 or so minutes off the bench is best prop rotation
Add a couple of 5km runs to RCG's training schedule each week that he's in NSW Cup - might help motivate him.

franklin2323

Immortal
Hook did the same thing last year when Maloney was busted. Hook rushed back guys from injury too soon numerous times that ended up costing them more time on the sideline.

Not a trait exclusive to either coach unfortunately. If there's a fit alternative f**king pick them. Players and coach both need to cop blame when this happens

Atleast with Maloney it was almost finals. No excuse not to give Mansour a break and he'd be back and firing by round 10.

Personally I like Bennett's no needle rule. Especially so early in the season

I knew sauce had a shoulder injury that was week to week.
The thing is if he gets it done and it takes a months recovery. Why not do it now? We are struggling he is struggling.
The year is young and its not as if he can't be covered. It would be a different story if we had 2 or 3 backs out.
Get it done now and get him back fresh and 100%

franklin2323

Immortal
Fair enough about giving him more than a week - as long as his performance justifies it.

I'd have already dropped both RCG & Edwards rather than use them as reasons to continue with other underperforming players.

Both seem down on confidence. A stint in NSW Cup can't hurt both should still be in our top 17 but atm not so.

Panfa

Juniors
Maybe sele got lost on the gold coast lol.Just quickly i noticed no graham no woods fafita in doubt and gallen still has sore ribs.Its probably our strongest starting pack all yr if we cant muscle up and give it to the sharks tomorrow night i give up.

The yak

Juniors
Maybe sele got lost on the gold coast lol.Just quickly i noticed no graham no woods fafita in doubt and gallen still has sore ribs.Its probably our strongest starting pack all yr if we cant muscle up and give it to the sharks tomorrow night i give up.

Fatfita got through today's captains run and will most likely play. Greedy guts Gallen will too.
One thing about the Sharks they don't give you chances to beat them. You have to play well to be a chance to win.

mxlegend99

Referee
Atleast with Maloney it was almost finals. No excuse not to give Mansour a break and he'd be back and firing by round 10.

Personally I like Bennett's no needle rule. Especially so early in the season
Maloney was injured during the Origin period. Probably no better time to give him a break then the few games after Origin to be right for the stretch home and the finals. I dont consider 8+ weeks to go almost finals either.

He picked Dean Whare for a Round 3 game in 2016 where he was not fit to run on the Tuesday when teams were named. Whare failed to finish that match or play any other game that season. If he waited one extra match it was anextra 10 days recovery for him to be fit for a Monday night game in Round 4.

God only knows how 2016 ends up for Whare if we didn't rush him back. Hook done it. Ivan done it. No point making out like one guy had a better reason than the other. At the end of the day they both backed partially fit players ahead of fully fit ones.

Hook takes the cake in the finals though. Wallace cops a head knock and goes for the HIA. Momentum swings our way with Katoa at hooker and we're on a path to win IMO. Then Katoa is taken off for Wallace and we couldnt sustain our momentum.

He couldnt identify that Katoa was having a blinder and was a better option than Wallace at the time. Ivan atleast recognised when Luai came on and momentum was lost. Tried to fix it back up. You could see him reacting to a planned move not working.

Latest posts