What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 V Souths

Scotty03

Juniors
Interesting post. A philosopher said " Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it". Sure enough, here we are with terrible discipline and ball control. RCG, Yeo, Maloney, Leota it's the same people for penalties. Drop them. Errors. Mansour, Blake, DWZ. Drop them.

We will never improve if we accept this crap. Bellamy would have roasted them. Bennett would have dropped them. If dropping good players means we lose a few games, I don't care. We need to break this cycle of poor discipline and errors. You can't do it by coaching, clearly that has failed. Now we need to drop players. A last tackle penalty should be instant reggies.

The refs may be negative against us sometimes, but is it any wonder? We have form. We are mugs.

One point of discussion. Is the poor discipline because we miss tackles and then in the scramble to preserve our line we commit penalties? Or, are the penalties giving the opposition extra possession and so we tackle more and end up fatigued and start missing tackles?

Last year when were super fit, we still gave away penalties. I think we are just mugs. Too many lazy players.
By your standards 90% of the league should be binned to reggies then. Every player makes mistakes, in every team. Even the wonderful Bellamy and Bennett teams you speak so highly of. Don't see Munster or Burgess getting dropped after all their mistakes (which are plenty.) You need a reality check.

Not disagreeing we need stronger discipline for repeat offenders but your logic states if you f**k up, your out. Wow, nice way to develop players and kill any confidence they may have left.

I think Ivan is making those calls anyway though, case in point Edwards. He gave him multiple chances and had to make the call - so did it.

We rewarded Tamou with the captaincy and I don't think I've seen him play as good as first 2 years with the Cowboys. That sends 2 messages - he earned it, and the others didn't.

I'm sure if the likes of Mansour etc play another game like they did over the last few rounds he'll make the same call. He'll have to.

Your a mug for thinking they are. Their not the best side in the league right now - doesn't mean they are worthless. They need a firmer kick in the ass, but even that doesn't guarantee a win.

TheFrog

Coach
I'm sure if the likes of Mansour etc play another game like they did over the last few rounds he'll make the same call. He'll have to.
Who can he bring in for Mansour? Edwards? Might as well stick with the experienced winger who may come good. These were decisions made before a ball was kicked in anger.

Pomoz

Bench
By your standards 90% of the league should be binned to reggies then. Every player makes mistakes, in every team. Even the wonderful Bellamy and Bennett teams you speak so highly of. Don't see Munster or Burgess getting dropped after all their mistakes (which are plenty.) You need a reality check.

Not disagreeing we need stronger discipline for repeat offenders but your logic states if you f**k up, your out. Wow, nice way to develop players and kill any confidence they may have left.

I think Ivan is making those calls anyway though, case in point Edwards. He gave him multiple chances and had to make the call - so did it.

We rewarded Tamou with the captaincy and I don't think I've seen him play as good as first 2 years with the Cowboys. That sends 2 messages - he earned it, and the others didn't.

Your a mug for thinking they are. Their not the best side in the league right now - doesn't mean they are worthless. They need a firmer kick in the ass, but even that doesn't guarantee a win.
Thanks for calling me a mug champ. Anyway, all you have done is recommend that we continue to do what we have been doing. Which has us last for penalties and errors. You don't drop players for the odd mistake or penalty, but we are way past that. We are the worst in the NRL for 3 years straight.

This year without our superior fitness the errors and discipline have us in wooden spoon territory. I'm all ears as to how we change their behaviour. What you have suggested is what we currently do and it doesn't seem to work with our players.

Last edited:

Scotty03

Juniors
I know but he also had trained with Edwards at FG all pre-season as well.

You can only put up with so much before having to make a call (as bold as it may be)

Mansour and DWZ are in the side due to their strong carries. But if they fail to do that then why keep on keeping on? Therefore Mansour needs to pick it up next game or go.
If a FG can't catch a high ball or a grubber then you HAVE to make a change. He did that.

Hell even for a laugh I'd prefer to see;

1. Luai
2. DWZ
3. Aekins
4. Kikau
5. Blake
6. Maloney
7. Cleary
8. Tamou
9. Egan
10. Grant
11. Yeo
12. Fuimaono
13. JFH

14. Katoa
15. RCG
16. Leota
17. Martin

I don't know how much of that is a joke or a lack of water today lol

Abacus

Juniors
Annesley showed an angle of this that looks more like a double movement and shows the ball reaching the line. But I suspect you are right in that he was getting ready to play the ball by the way he blew up when the penalty was given.
JFH seemed more stunned at the penalty, rather than blowing up. I thought he appeared genuinely unaware that he reached the line. But I'm sure they were able to find an appropriate angle.

franklin2323

Immortal
Interesting post. A philosopher said " Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it". Sure enough, here we are with terrible discipline and ball control. RCG, Yeo, Maloney, Leota it's the same people for penalties. Drop them. Errors. Mansour, Blake, DWZ. Drop them.

We will never improve if we accept this crap. Bellamy would have roasted them. Bennett would have dropped them. If dropping good players means we lose a few games, I don't care. We need to break this cycle of poor discipline and errors. You can't do it by coaching, clearly that has failed. Now we need to drop players. A last tackle penalty should be instant reggies.

The refs may be negative against us sometimes, but is it any wonder? We have form. We are mugs.

One point of discussion. Is the poor discipline because we miss tackles and then in the scramble to preserve our line we commit penalties? Or, are the penalties giving the opposition extra possession and so we tackle more and end up fatigued and start missing tackles?

Last year when were super fit, we still gave away penalties. I think we are just mugs. Too many lazy players.

JFH has improved this year but last year he is better but last year he and RCG. Would rush up for the hit and bounce off or bounce up to the head. Or be too agressive and get pinged

Seemed to me if we didn't score 1st they would get looser maybe fatigue maybe going for the big play due to impatience.

Panther Pete

Juniors
Very risky quoting Paul Kent. As I pointed out the other day John Lang won his only title in his 271st game.
If you are referring to the comments on NRL360 last week it was actually Paul Crawley who said that first but I get your point, don’t believe everything that a journalist says.

mxlegend99

Referee
Well this game sucked to lose. But atleast we were in the game. Broncos last night were worse than we have been all season.

It almost makes up for us being bad.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Well this game sucked to lose. But atleast we were in the game. Broncos last night were worse than we have been all season.

It almost makes up for us being bad.

On the other hand the Broncos smashed a depleted Sharks team and we lost to them.

mxlegend99

Referee
On the other hand the Broncos smashed a depleted Sharks team and we lost to them.
They faced a weaker Sharks side than us though. At Suncorp. With 58% possession.

A win is a win. But Broncos seem to need everything going their way to win. They didnt look close against a real team.

While we sit 2 wins each. I think we're less shit than Brisbane who are arguably the worst QLD team at the moment.

franklin2323

Immortal
They faced a weaker Sharks side than us though. At Suncorp. With 58% possession.

A win is a win. But Broncos seem to need everything going their way to win. They didnt look close against a real team.

While we sit 2 wins each. I think we're less shit than Brisbane who are arguably the worst QLD team at the moment.

makes it worse that we got dominated by a reserve grade team.

Look at who they played compared to us though. There is no one in the comp we can say we are better than atm

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
You gotta love footy fans. We lose to a team that wins the next week: “See, they are a good side!”. We lose to a team that loses the next week: “We softened them up.”

Flashstep

Juniors
Then Sharks beat Storm... if anyone can make any sense of this season, I’d gladly listen.

The NRL is one of the tightest top flight competitions In the world, which is why it’s so frustrating that teams actively recruit players every off season to improve even if it’s just a little bit whilst we let players go easily and try to replace them with kids, and this season we’re finally paying the price for it.

martielang

Bench
The NRL is one of the tightest top flight competitions In the world, which is why it’s so frustrating that teams actively recruit players every off season to improve even if it’s just a little bit whilst we let players go easily and try to replace them with kids, and this season we’re finally paying the price for it.

Was looking for something a bit more feel good lol

Panfa

Juniors
The possibility that we could be last after today doesnt sit well with me 3 semi finals in a row we swap coaches then we nose dive back to spoon contention.

Latest posts