What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 V Souths

franklin2323

Immortal
The NRL is one of the tightest top flight competitions In the world, which is why it’s so frustrating that teams actively recruit players every off season to improve even if it’s just a little bit whilst we let players go easily and try to replace them with kids, and this season we’re finally paying the price for it.

It has been my frustration for a while now. Other teams would bring in another experienced guy just cheaper. We do it the other and now sit closer to the spoon then premiers

Pomoz

Bench
I keep repeating myself. The only thing that has changed is the coach and the fitness staff. Dave's mate is performing in accordance with his career trend line. We will lose more than half our games under him. It's what he does and there is data to back it up. To be fair to Dave's mate, he is doing exactly what it says on the tin.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
I keep repeating myself. The only thing that has changed is the coach and the fitness staff. Dave's mate is performing in accordance with his career trend line. We will lose more than half our games under him. It's what he does and there is data to back it up. To be faor to Dave's mate, he is doing exactly what it says on the tin.

I’m feeling your pain mate.

For someone who is normally so positive I can feel your angst.

Chin up. There’s always next season.

Abacus

Juniors
I don’t think that way.

Who knows what the future holds for us.

We are awful at the moment no doubt about that but things can and do change quickly in a very even competition.
Might be an even competition, but we're not even close to being in the race. The standard of our play, not to mention fitness, is deplorable.

It also seems the coach is not accountable to anyone at the club except his mate. So no pressure for results. And a few on here are doing their best to direct criticism everywhere but the coach.

Happy for you to be optimistic but I'd encourage you to lower your expectations.

Kilkenny

Coach
Might be an even competition, but we're not even close to being in the race. The standard of our play, not to mention fitness, is deplorable.

It also seems the coach is not accountable to anyone at the club except his mate. So no pressure for results. And a few on here are doing their best to direct criticism everywhere but the coach.

Happy for you to be optimistic but I'd encourage you to lower your expectations.

I’m simply saying one season is a long term in the NRL. You can’t write us off for two or three seasons.

The actions of Ivan’s mate as he is affectionately referred to was unforgivable even if you were not in the Gus Gould fan club.

I think almost everyone, including media pundits, were in agreement it was most likely a mistake to bring Ivan back.

I don’t agree with your statement about deflecting blame away from the coach. There are many reasons why we are not performing and Ivan is probably a factor, as is is Gus, as is Dave O’Neill as is a host of other factors not least of which the players on the field who drop the ball, miss tackles and needlessly give away penalties.

Abacus

Juniors
a host of other factors not least of which the players on the field who drop the ball, miss tackles and needlessly give away penalties.
And so it goes round. These player failures you mention, when widespread among the team, are typically a result of poor discipline and fitness.

Anyway, the point is the team has shown little to be optimistic about and appears to be regressing. My optimism extends to today maybe being a "down" week after we've been "up" for a couple.

And regardless of results, Dave's mate is here, unchecked, until 2023.

BxTom

Bench
I’m feeling your pain mate.

For someone who is normally so positive I can feel your angst.

Chin up. There’s always next season.
I usually try to be upbeat, but I am at the point where I listen to us doing the same crap and just tune out. I just hope that when Dave's mate goes (and it will be in less than 5 years), that Dave follows him out the door. Gould wasn't perfect, but he is light years ahead of the arseclowns ruining the club now. I think he will be seething over what's happened, but is passionate enough about the club that he still smiles and puts a positive spin on it.

Kilkenny

Coach
I usually try to be upbeat, but I am at the point where I listen to us doing the same crap and just tune out. I just hope that when Dave's mate goes (and it will be in less than 5 years), that Dave follows him out the door. Gould wasn't perfect, but he is light years ahead of the arseclowns ruining the club now. I think he will be seething over what's happened, but is passionate enough about the club that he still smiles and puts a positive spin on it.

Gould’s parting statement was all spin. From the minute he was undermined by the knucklehead chairman of the board his position was untenable. Personally I believed we should have put our future in the hands of a fresh up and coming coach, as opposed to Wayne Bennet, but I wish we could turn the clock back to November and change history because we made a massive mistake.

darkbloom

Juniors
Gould’s parting statement was all spin. From the minute he was undermined by the knucklehead chairman of the board his position was untenable. Personally I believed we should have put our future in the hands of a fresh up and coming coach, as opposed to Wayne Bennet, but I wish we could turn the clock back to November and change history because we made a massive mistake.

The chairman is a knucklehead and so is the Group CEO. It should never come to pass that a board member - including chairman - does any recruiting except fot the top job. The top job is supposedly Flecther - appointing a coach should have been between him and Gould and then the Board signs off on that unless they have serious misgivings.

But they are all playing individual games out there. A fact demonstrated very clearly as we approach the finals last year and in the months subsequent to that.

Gould is smart - he has got out before his legacy hits the fan and it will. There is nothing left to sell to continue to finance football at the rate it has been financed over the last 5 years.

Most people won't see that - and Gould will retain his mythical saviour status despite the considerable damage he has caused.

Kilkenny

Coach
The chairman is a knucklehead and so is the Group CEO. It should never come to pass that a board member - including chairman - does any recruiting except fot the top job. The top job is supposedly Flecther - appointing a coach should have been between him and Gould and then the Board signs off on that unless they have serious misgivings.

But they are all playing individual games out there. A fact demonstrated very clearly as we approach the finals last year and in the months subsequent to that.

Gould is smart - he has got out before his legacy hits the fan and it will. There is nothing left to sell to continue to finance football at the rate it has been financed over the last 5 years.

Most people won't see that - and Gould will retain his mythical saviour status despite the considerable damage he has caused.

You have an intense dislike for Gus Gould while others think he did an admirable job.

Maybe his legacy lies somewhere in between the two points of view.

darkbloom

Juniors
You have an intense dislike for Gus Gould while others think he did an admirable job.

Maybe his legacy lies somewhere in between the two points of view.

I've seen first hand his MO.

You're right though, my view of his contribution and my interpretation of events may be hampered by my personal opinion of him. When he left us mid-contract in 1994 he left us a legacy that took quite a few years to get over, I think he has done the same again.

But I think what I hate the most is his penchant for claiming saviour status and promoting the myth that the club was near folding. He promoted this myth for his own personal benefit and to the detriment of many who have contributed magnificently to our club and, in fact, enabled his spending spree.

All I ask is that people look beyond results on the field and closely at what is going on at our club. Participate, find out, go to AGMs, EGMs, read annual reports and ask questions. Because there is stuff happening and stuff that has happened that is highly questionable and disturbing.

BxTom

Bench
I've seen first hand his MO.

You're right though, my view of his contribution and my interpretation of events may be hampered by my personal opinion of him. When he left us mid-contract in 1994 he left us a legacy that took quite a few years to get over, I think he has done the same again.

But I think what I hate the most is his penchant for claiming saviour status and promoting the myth that the club was near folding. He promoted this myth for his own personal benefit and to the detriment of many who have contributed magnificently to our club and, in fact, enabled his spending spree.

All I ask is that people look beyond results on the field and closely at what is going on at our club. Participate, find out, go to AGMs, EGMs, read annual reports and ask questions. Because there is stuff happening and stuff that has happened that is highly questionable and disturbing.
Sounds like you would be happy to go back to the way the club was being run - into the grouind. Your legacy was much worse.

darkbloom

Juniors
Sounds like you would be happy to go back to the way the club was being run - into the grouind. Your legacy was much worse.

Me? I have no legacy.

In fact I believe the pre-Gould administration were the most problematic and destructive in the clubs history. I also believe that Gould was faced big problems due to them but he wasn't a saviour. Had that pre-Gould management/chairman combination not been in power we would not have been in the position that Gould found when he signing on.

To some extent Gould was a victim of circumstance.

I've always credited Gould with being capable of making a great contribution to the football side of the Panthers business - PROVIDED he had someone competent to control him. He has not had that and so his penchant for spending has been completely unchecked.

My guess is your judging the pre-Gould club on the mistaken appointment of Elliot. Plenty of clubs make poor appointments - usually discovered in hindsight. Gould has not been immune to this .

Like I said my hope is people look beyond what happens on the field when assessing their club.

GongPanther

Referee
We had a tailor made coach who was ready to take over and had the respect of the players who played under him. Unfortunately, Brennan is somewhere else.

murraymob

Coach
I don’t think that way.

Who knows what the future holds for us.

We are awful at the moment no doubt about that but things can and do change quickly in a very even competition.
Reality if we have 3 more years of this we may not survive financially .The leagues club suffered a huge loss. Crowds sponsors will stay away

Abacus

Juniors
Me? I have no legacy.

In fact I believe the pre-Gould administration were the most problematic and destructive in the clubs history. I also believe that Gould was faced big problems due to them but he wasn't a saviour. Had that pre-Gould management/chairman combination not been in power we would not have been in the position that Gould found when he signing on.

To some extent Gould was a victim of circumstance.

I've always credited Gould with being capable of making a great contribution to the football side of the Panthers business - PROVIDED he had someone competent to control him. He has not had that and so his penchant for spending has been completely unchecked.

My guess is your judging the pre-Gould club on the mistaken appointment of Elliot. Plenty of clubs make poor appointments - usually discovered in hindsight. Gould has not been immune to this .

Like I said my hope is people look beyond what happens on the field when assessing their club.
It's interesting that you mention Gould's spending. I think at the time of Gould's arrival, Panthers' rugby league needed money spent on it.

With the struggles of the licensed club operations over the preceding few years, funding to the footy club had diminished to the point they were trying to run it of the fumes of an oily rag. I think this needs to be factored when comparing Elliott v Gould eras.

It's a short term strategy and unfortunately sooner or later in a competitive environment, any "savings" from under-investment usually need to be repaid in the longer term.

Hopefully the footy club is back on track and the licensed club can afford an appropriate and sustainable level of ongoing footy club spend/investment over the next few years and into the future.

Latest posts