What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 vs Souths

The yak

Juniors
MJ is better then Blake. He doesnt look for the ball and doesnt do any hard work. Lazy.
He has had one good game all year against you guys.

And yes sometimes players need a change. Different coaches styles can bring best out of players.

Anyhow how good is it. Parra and Penrith are 1st and 2nd

Blake is an enigma. You think you got him worked out then he puts in a shocker or gets injured.

RCG has been great this year. The change has done him well and he is been driven by a point to prove.
The key will be how he performs next year.

hindy111

Post Whore
Blake is an enigma. You think you got him worked out then he puts in a shocker or gets injured.

RCG has been great this year. The change has done him well and he is been driven by a point to prove.
The key will be how he performs next year.

Lazy imo. I don't see a guy who cares if he made origin or not. He should be in the mix with his experience and skills but he won't get a mention cause he is lazy.

Fangs

Coach
RCG has improved. He was never going to improve here at Penrith. Doing a decent job for the Eels but needs to be there when it matters.

franklin2323

Immortal
On form he is a top 5 prop in comp. How long this lasts I am unsure. But currently he is brilliant.
Plus you guys are chipping in for a very large chunk I was told by someone high up at your club.

For this year yes. Next year nope he is all yours and no doubt will be a pea heart again

Crashtest

Juniors
On form he is a top 5 prop in comp. How long this lasts I am unsure. But currently he is brilliant.
Plus you guys are chipping in for a very large chunk I was told by someone high up at your club.

Regardless of how well he is currently playing or what it is actually costing us to pay him to play elsewhere, I am still glad he is gone.

We are a playing like a totally different team this this season without the off field attitudes and issues of RCG, DWZ and Blake impacting on the teams morale and attitude. And the results this season prove it was the right call, with only one loss in seven rounds, including wins over Storm, Roosters and Souths.

franklin2323

Immortal
He has been very good in their games against top teams. Even for us his biggest issue was his mentality after the two broken jaws and he clearly needed a change of club.

All their games been at home while they have been full strength. One of those games he was called out by the coach.

I want to see him stand up away from home batted and bruised like JFH and Yeo do

hindy111

Post Whore
All their games been at home while they have been full strength. One of those games he was called out by the coach.

I want to see him stand up away from home batted and bruised like JFH and Yeo do

No N.Brown is best forward and been out bar 2 games. K.Evans best bench forward and been missing also
And Moses missed most of yesterday's game.......

hindy111

Post Whore
Korisau is what has turned Penrith around most along with Maloney no in defense imo.
Maloney was a weak link in the chain. You only need one and the whole thing falls apart. He was costing team 18 points a game.

I'll add Too... He has gone to another level. A breathe of fresh air. His footwork is amazing.Im telling you now he should be considered at some point as a fullback. He could be special running in the middle off field. Think Minichello

Gus had an absolute shocker in his last 3 or so years with us. Some of the contracts he handed out were just awful.

RCG - 5 years, plus he already had almost 2 years to go on his current deal.

Cartwright - 5 years

Moylan - 5 years & captaincy

Whare - 5 years

Merrin - 4 years

Blake - 5 years

Appointment of Hook

Then there was the appointment of a 29 year old CEO.

Honestly, we got lucky shifting some of those deals.

Pomoz

Bench
Gus had an absolute shocker in his last 3 or so years with us. Some of the contracts he handed out were just awful.

RCG - 5 years, plus he already had almost 2 years to go on his current deal.

Cartwright - 5 years

Moylan - 5 years & captaincy

Whare - 5 years

Merrin - 4 years

Blake - 5 years

Appointment of Hook

Then there was the appointment of a 29 year old CEO.

Honestly, we got lucky shifting some of those deals.
Of course, you have no facts to support this because all the deals are confidential. I would also point out that you are only looking at one side of contract management. The other side is being able to get rid of players.

Gus himself said that you back a player, if he doesn't deliver value for the deal he is on, you move him on. He is worth more to some clubs than he is to you.You see that as a problem, I see it as good roster management. Any other approach to roster management requires perfect hindsight. You never really know how a player will perform until they get the contract and start playing. Nobody does. That's why you need somebody well networked like Gus, who can find homes for unwanted players. Sure, he could have signed them to 3 year deals, but so what, they were still able to be moved on.

We may have had to pay for Blake and RCG, but that list you have made have all been moved on and we have retained the junior talent we want to. Blake and RCG are delivering for the Eels, they weren't for us. Im not sure what the contract has to do with that. Perhaps look closer to home at Cleary. RCG was an SOO player under Hook.

Moylan has continued to play well for a few games before his tissue paper body (probably due to his famed lack of work ethic in training) gives out. No loss really. he would have been great for us, when he was on the field but what would the negative impact be on the attitudes of our junior players with his lazy, selfish attitude.

As for Bryce, it is just a tragic waste of talent. Again I'm not sure how his contract rorm Gus was a bad thing,what role did that have to play?

mxlegend99

Referee
Gus overpaid some guys. But he managed to palm them off with minimal or not impact on our cap. The 5 year deals were being praised for locking guys in longterm when he made them too.

He was far from perfect. The overs to bring guys here that were completely unnecessary signings standout. But he easily got rid of unwanted players.

I think everyone here was happy when he extended guys like Moylan and Carty on 5 year deals. Whare however and extending Hook were inexcusable. Although still some people thought the 5 year deal to a busted centre was good even.

Funny how largely praised decisions are used against him despite zero consequences from them (ie Moylan and Carty... Offloaded at zero cost to us). Gus wasnt in charge when we got stuck footing the bill for the likes of Blake and RCG. He couldn't have known he would be gone before them.