What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 vs Souths

Crashtest

Juniors
This
The headaches are gone and the results show. There is still plenty of improvement to come.

It was was going to be interesting to see whether Cleary made the right call on the players he released and the new players he recruited, and whether he could turn around the culture at the club after a disastrous first season back at in charge. I think he has done a great job thus far, and as you mentioned, there is still a lot more improvement to come.

Last edited:

Fangs

Coach
Does Tedesco have a passong game? Did Slater? I dont think so personaly.
Gutherson,Turbo and Ponga are the only 3 ball playing fullbacks that have exceptional ball playing skills. Rest are average.

You can certainly get away with it. However it largely depends on what the rest of your outfit can provide.

The Raiders are a great example and the team we should try to model. CNK doesn't set up many. But Wighton, Hodgson and Williams (Sezer last year) have it easily covered. Also add in their dangerous outside backs who can sniff out the tryline from almost anywhere on the field.

Korisau and Luai give us spontaneity. Cleary is in excellent form and not as predictable as he has been in the past which is causing problems for every side we play. We also have Burton who has a great skillset. With Crichton and To'o we have two genuine finishers. Naden is another if he can find a spot and he probably will by year's end judging by his performance on Thursday night.

Our team changes will occur in the halves (Luai v Burton) and in the outside backs (Whare/Mansour v Naden). I can't see Edwards being moved from fullback at any stage this year.

WestyLife

First Grade
Gutherson,Turbo and Ponga are the only 3 ball playing fullbacks that have exceptional ball playing skills. Rest are average.

Both Tedesco and Slater had a great many try assists and could pass.

franklin2323

Immortal
Gus had an absolute shocker in his last 3 or so years with us. Some of the contracts he handed out were just awful.

RCG - 5 years, plus he already had almost 2 years to go on his current deal.

Cartwright - 5 years

Moylan - 5 years & captaincy

Whare - 5 years

Merrin - 4 years

Blake - 5 years

Appointment of Hook

Then there was the appointment of a 29 year old CEO.

Honestly, we got lucky shifting some of those deals.

You also believe Sivo was a stuff up. That was him too

franklin2323

Immortal
You can certainly get away with it. However it largely depends on what the rest of your outfit can provide.

The Raiders are a great example and the team we should try to model. CNK doesn't set up many. But Wighton, Hodgson and Williams (Sezer last year) have it easily covered. Also add in their dangerous outside backs who can sniff out the tryline from almost anywhere on the field.

Korisau and Luai give us spontaneity. Cleary is in excellent form and not as predictable as he has been in the past which is causing problems for every side we play. We also have Burton who has a great skillset. With Crichton and To'o we have two genuine finishers. Naden is another if he can find a spot and he probably will by year's end judging by his performance on Thursday night.

Our team changes will occur in the halves (Luai v Burton) and in the outside backs (Whare/Mansour v Naden). I can't see Edwards being moved from fullback at any stage this year.

You need 3 play makers. Hodgson makes up for CNK being a runner not a ball player

Fangs

Coach
You need 3 play makers. Hodgson makes up for CNK being a runner not a ball player

I felt Korisau was sublime rounds 1-2. I'm not sure if he has come back from lockdown worse or he is just taking a back seat to let Cleary lead. Whatever the case its working fine right now. Perhaps when we are down on the scoreboard he will come into his own in the last 20. He hasn't needed to be heavily involved.

I notice Hodgson doesn't seem as dominant this year either.

franklin2323

Immortal
Sivo was just bad timing. As I recall he was injured at time when a spot opened up in Penrith. And so he looked elsewhere.

To’o is the better all round winger so got thr development spot
DWZ and Mansour the established guys.
Phillips and MWZ the FG ready backups

So I am fine with that. The issue for me was only having 2 centres in the squad. Keeping Sivo wouldn’t of solved that. So I am cool with it should To’o keep developing

hindy111

Post Whore
I felt Korisau was sublime rounds 1-2. I'm not sure if he has come back from lockdown worse or he is just taking a back seat to let Cleary lead. Whatever the case its working fine right now. Perhaps when we are down on the scoreboard he will come into his own in the last 20. He hasn't needed to be heavily involved.

Korisau is form hooker in comp for me.

franklin2323

Immortal

Just needs time to develop with the spine. Will help if refs actually call the markers offside when they aren’t square

The_Frog

First Grade
Moylan too although he's in the halves more often these days, when he isn't injured. Dufty looks to have a pass on him as well

To’o is the better all round winger so got thr development spot
DWZ and Mansour the established guys.
Phillips and MWZ the FG ready backups

So I am fine with that. The issue for me was only having 2 centres in the squad. Keeping Sivo wouldn’t of solved that. So I am cool with it should To’o keep developing

Why would we need 2 first grade ready backups? Makes no sense.

You need to give some inexperienced guys a run in your top 30.

franklin2323

Immortal
Why would we need 2 first grade ready backups? Makes no sense.

You need to give some inexperienced guys a run in your top 30.

That is where the squad balance was out. One of them should of been someone that can play centre too.

Isn’t that what development squad is for to get those inexperience guys a run?

GongPanther

Referee
So much salt from the bunny fans on the nrl instagram posts.

They were found wanting most of the game. Walker and Reynolds tried but Mitchell went missing. Honestly think they will struggle to make the 8.
Everyone gets salty after a loss, but beating Souths is always a special win for me. Just hope Rusty was watching with his A-list friends in the states.

Latest posts