What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 (2006) Lions v Raiders

The Piper

Juniors
Sydney Lions v Canberra Raiders

Venue: The Colosseum
ground_colosseum_1.jpg

Crowd: TBA Referee: antonius

• This is a game thread only, therefore only game-related posts can be made here. Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.

• Home team captain will be allowed 3 reserves, visiting captain will be allowed 2 reserves.

• Captains must post their entire team (including reserves) before posting and only those players listed may play this round.

Rules of play: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.asp

Full Time: WEDNESDAY 9TH AUGUST at 9:00PM (SYD TIME)

**The Referee Blows Game On!**

choc_soldier

Coach
Lions team...

parra_panther (c)
Steel Dragon
redflutterby
TiTTieS_[CNTDN]
Black Kitty

roosterboy60
Dilmah
roosters06

choc_soldier

Coach
parra_panther, leading out the Lions...

RANDOM THOUGHTS

2006 has been a year which has tested the patience of Panthers supporters, both on and off the field.

The following is a list of issues that have concerned me…

Underachieving… again!

This one is difficult to explain, and is the cause of a deep seated frustration.
My expectations this year were not lofty, but I thought that Penrith were a chance this year to make the finals. Anything less would be seen as a failure. Make no mistake – the Panthers have a decent squad, one that can definitely be a premiership threat.

However, consistency and attitude seem to be the major pitfalls this year. Familiar shades of last year.

Penrith have been very hot and cold – when they are hot, they are awesome. When they are cold, they border on humiliating. The team is still in the hunt for the finals, which is really due to good luck rather than good management. But do they deserve to make it? My answer unfortunately is no.

Additionally, the Panthers attitude at times stinks. This is abundant when they switch off after gaining control of the match. It happens time and time again…

Craig Gower

Being stripped of his captaincy after being found guilty of misconduct, and then threatening to leave the club as a result left a nasty taste in the mouth of many supporters at the start of the year. However, his decision to stay drew a collective sense of relief. However, there are rumblings that he still dissatisfied with the club.

On the field, it has not exactly been a “vintage” year. However, his presence can still not be under valued in any way, and has shown glimpses of brilliance, especially earlier this season.

Matt Elliott

I was quite surprised when it was announced early this year that Lang’s contract would not be renewed for 2007, and instead Matt Elliott would be coach. I thought the manner of which it was all done was quite disrespectful, considering all that Lang has done for the club. I also had doubts about Elliott’s credentials, considering that he has not exactly set the world on fire at Canberra.

However, I am starting to change my tune. Lang, whilst a good coach, has become increasingly stale, with our style of play becoming quite predictable. Whilst it will be sad to see him go, a change in coach will be a good thing. But whether or not the change will be for the better, only time can tell.

The player market

It has been frustrating. Watching other teams announce signings after July 1, whilst your club has done next to nothing.

I may sound petulant, but this is with reason. It is halfway through August, and we have barely caused a ripple in the market, only signing two lower graders.

Yes, we have been linked with a number of players, such as Jamie Lyon and Craig Wing. But to be honest, Penrith were never going to get Lyon, and I feel sceptical about the Wing “rumour” too.

At the same time, Penrith will be losing Campbell, Swain, Frank Puletua, Stapleton and Galea in 2007. In layman’s terms, it would leave the impression that we are clearing the decks for some new players next year. But the apparent inaction by management is for all to see.

On the top of our shopping list is a quality centre and five-eighth. As the well of available players dries up, we are running out of time. However, Penrith do have the luxury have having a few very promising players in the lower grades who could fill both of these positions. It would be a gamble, but one that could pay off handsomely.

The rookies

Through necessity rather than desire, five players have tasted first grade for the first time this year. Two have been an absolute standout – Paul Aiton and Michael Gordon.

Aiton adds a bit of urgency out of dummy half, with his probing runs often making many metres beyond the advantage line. Gordon’s key weapon is speed, and he has plenty of that to burn. He is also a more than capable goal kicker, which should make him the first choice for 2007.

Additionally, there have been a number of standouts in the lower grades, such as centre Michael Jennings and utility Jarrad Sammut, who could make their mark in the coming years.

The future looks bright. The addition of a few established first graders would help too.

------------------
Word count: 747

Stelios Giannakopoulos. (Aka Schifty) comes off the bench for an unexpected run :crazy:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Endless Options

I love a punt, and rugby league certainly is a sport that can satisfy my needs for a flutter. Only a few years ago, you could pretty much only bet on who is going to win and perhaps the first try scorer. Nowadays we are blessed with many options, such as boxing-style head-to-heads where you can have a punt on who will score the most tries, and it certainly makes the game more interesting until the last minute for the neutral fan. Betting on the half-time result is now also possible, so if your team loves to get off to great starts then fade away in the second half you won't necessarily do your cash while betting on them.

The real lottery ticket is betting on the exact margin, with options from 1 to 30+ for both sides; this however is akin to throwing your money down the toilet. Yet while I think the new choices available for rugby league betting are fantastic, there would be nothing wrong with even more choice. I'd like to see some incredible, innovative options that could even spice up watching the Canberra Raiders play.

With the TAB and other betting agencies always having secret meetings in penthouses to try brainstorm new ways to take people's money, it was only a matter of time before a document became leaked to a random 20 year old that resides in the national capital. So for you the reader, here is an extract from the list of new betting options which found its way to my inbox.

Leading Tackler
A simple yet entertaining option that would have you cheering every time your backed player goes in for a tackle. While this option would be great fun and have everyone keeping their eye on the stats, it wouldn’t be very profitable - players such as Alan Tongue and Nathan Hindmarsh would be unbackable favourites in every match they play.

Biggest Turnstyle
The exact opposite of the top tackler, however instead of using the raw figure for missed tackles per match punters would be betting on the lowest percentage of effective tackles. After all, if Daniel Fitzhenry makes 5 tackles and misses 4, he should not be beaten by someone like Danny Buderus who makes 40, but misses 5. This option allows for punters to cheer their favourite mediocre defender mistackle their heart out, and would certainly make Darren Lockyer the betting man's favourite player.

Mr. Butter Fingers
With this option punters back the player they think will come up with the most handling errors in a game. Knock-ons certainly raise the blood-pressure of the fans in the crowd, especially when the pass is a sitter - but this option would certainly soften the blow with the possibility of making money because of the team klutz. I've already got a betting stub with Kris Kahler's name on it - it's just a shame Tyran Smith has retired.

Video Referee Referrals Over/Under
These days sadly the man in the middle often goes upstairs for a decision merely for the sake of it. While the endless repeats of Graham West replaying a try frame by frame can become annoying, people can take comfort in the fact that this referral could help them claim a nice dividend. An over/under will generally be set at 5.5.

Lead Changes
With so many pointless options already available surely one more won’t hurt. This option allows punters to predict how many lead changes there will be in one match . Now this option can either be really interesting, or be all over in the 16th minute when the Storm take a 38-0 lead over their hapless rivals. One benefit of this option is that it doesn’t discriminate - if you choose “1” as your option, and a team wins 10-0, you win regardless.

There you have it people, more and more options for you to think about, and this is only for the great game of rugby league. At this rate betting agencies will have to introduce a 6th line of numbers to fill out in the betting card as 99,999 will be nowhere near enough options to cover every single market across a weekend of sport.
----------------------------------------------
702 Words Between the lines

Raider_69

Post Whore
apologises referee, schifty is under the name "Stelios Giannakopoulos" here
i always forget that :lol:

thickos

First Grade
thickos for the Raiders

++++++++++++++++++++

Scapegoats

It was an uneventful evening, watching the round eighteen match between two semi-final wannabes, the Penrith Panthers and the Canberra Raiders, at Penrith Stadium. For two teams with dreams of visiting September’s fabled shores, the quality of the match was at best poor and at worst embarrassing. Canberra’s bumbling and conservative approach meant they were never in the hunt, the home side recording a more than comfortable 24-12 victory. Yet there was a key moment and observation I took from the match beyond the disappointment of the result.

It was late in the first half, with the Raiders on the attack while trailing 6-0. Rookie half Todd Carney made a clean break and had only fullback Rhys Wesser to beat. Alan Tongue, the Raiders’ version of the “energizer bunny” with tufts of red hair protruding from his trademark headgear, loomed outside Carney in support, ready to take the pass that would lead to a certain Canberra try under the posts.

The pass was perfect, and there was not a defender in sight. Inexplicably, however, the Steeden went straight into Tongue’s waiting arms… and back out again. Naturally the huddled posse of Raiders fans on the hill were disappointed – yet there was no vitriol or disgust directed at Tongue for an elementary error that cost his side a chance to get back into the match. I even yelled out ‘Bad luck Tonguey, next time.’ But what if it was not Alan Tongue in support but, say Adrian Purtell or David Howell, and it was they who spilt the pass? Rather than forgiveness, a tirade of insults and abuse would have emanated from the hill - guaranteed. It was this hypothetical that had me fascinated – the bias of a fan towards certain members of their own team, and the need to have a scapegoat for when times get tough.

You see, Alan Tongue is a fan favourite. He embodies all the qualities you would want in a footballer – enthusiasm, hard work and commitment. He is one of the dependables in the side – and despite the crucial error he made that night, his sin was forgiven for everything else that he contributes. To boo Tonguey, well, it would just not be right. Adrian Purtell and David Howell, however, cop it regularly from all quarters. Neither are terrible players, but they are easy targets for armchair critics. Despite being a team sport, when things go wrong fans want somewhere to direct their anger and disappointment. Blaming ‘the team as a whole’ for a poor performance is too vague and general – just like any good witch-hunt, someone needs to be tied to the stake.

So what have Purtell and Howell done that is so wrong? Adrian Purtell is perceived by many to be keeping a better, more deserving player in the Premier League ranks, something unforgivable in many fans’ eyes. But this is not unique to the Raiders – this happens at every club in the NRL. The ‘next best thing’ is always rotting away in the lower grades while an underperformer holds his first grade spot – clear to all bar the coach! David Howell, however, suffers a unique fate – his uncle is St George great Mick Potter, one of Raiders coach Matt Elliott’s best friends. The cries of nepotism echo down Northbourne Avenue – ‘he’s only in the team because of a family association!’ These tenuous reasons allow any mistakes he makes to be magnified in the average fan’s eyes, another reason why he shouldn’t be in first grade. The fact is both of them are young, improving players – but for many it is just easier to focus on the negatives. For whatever reason, some players will always be the fan favourite in people’s eyes, while others will always cop the blame if something is to go wrong. The mindset of the average league fan beautifully exemplifies the old slogan, ‘United we stand, divided we fall.’

Howell and Purtell may shake their unwanted ‘scapegoat’ tag one day – they may become great players, or most likely someone even more objectionable to the average fan will make it into the first grade side. As for me, two weeks ago I saw the Raiders thrash premiership favourites St George-Illawarra, and I was ecstatic. Everyone was a hero that day. Then I went and watched Canberra get rolled by South Sydney with the same seventeen players…

You’ll have to excuse me, I’m off to find someone to blame.

++++++++++++++

750 words including title.

redflutterby

Juniors
Redflutterby sweeps in for the Lions...

The toys I love…

Do you remember the eighties? Well I surely do. How could you forget? It was the era of Alf, Ra Ra skirts and over the top fringes. And if you didn’t notice the eighties are having a come back and frighteningly are creeping into every aspect of our everyday lives. Hairstyles are back again where the bigger is better (just ask Matt King), clothing is getting tighter and some things that should have stayed in the eighties are sadly rearing their heads and saying hello.

However it is not all lost (unlike Sterlo’s hair) as the best thing about this eighties revival is the toys. Toys that I played with years ago (too many years ago) are now cluttering the aisles of our toy stores once again. Since I am a little bit ‘nutty’ and think outside the square, I started wondering what it would be like if each of these toys played each other in a Rugby League Competition (ok I’m a bit more than just ‘nutty’). What would each team’s strengths and weaknesses be and what would their team be like? So for this round’s entry I have decided to go out on a limb (a wide ten foot tall limb) and will evaluate how some toy teams would go in the ‘Super Grouse Toy League’!

Transformers
The favourites to win in the comp due to their interchangeability (it is a word!) and their willingness to cheat, steal and crush the opposition have made them the number one team to beat. It also has made them the most unpopular team in the comp with their fan base being at an all time low. Some sources have commented that is due to certain players and their misgivings at unspecified functions. Basically the rumour mill says some players change into objects that are ‘more than meets the eye’. Currently several players are being investigated by the Super Grouse Toy League board on misconduct and sexual harassment against a creepy crawly.

Care Bears
With their team’s colours of yellow and white and blue and green and peach and lilac and brown and mauve and red and purple and pink, women absolutely love this team and cannot resist the ‘Care Bear Stare’. More interested in playing off the field, this team has not won a game all season and destined to get the plastic spoon. One of the most controversial teams in the comp, they are regularly featured in the gossip sections whispered to be up to shenanigans that would make Craig Gower blush.

Cabbage Patch Kids
Well know for their tattoos and all being a bunch of ‘bastards’ (the real meaning) this team is new to the comp and has won the hearts of many admirers. Classed as the under dogs, they strive to get into the top four by the end of the season but have been classed as too mellow and happy to be successful this year. Regardless of this, they always put on a brave face and continue to smile throughout each game.

Sesame Street
Being one of the most popular teams in the comp, it is surprising that they have one of the most suspended players on their team. Ernie has been suspended and fined the most out of the league and continues to live up to his founded reputation for on field thuggery and dangerous antics. If it wasn’t for the fact that Bert is president of the Super Grouse Toy League Ernie would have been kicked out years ago.

The Muppets
A great team who should make the finals and that has one of the best forwards the world has ever seen. Miss Piggy has been charming the spectators with her fluttering eyelashes and killing the opposition with her ‘HI-YA’ defense method. And all players know to keep out of the way of Animal when he is in one of his ‘moods’.

Barbie
Their season has not been going so well all year with the likes of them not making the top four. Once a month though they are unbeatable and even deadly with their defending skills. All players have featured on the cover of ‘THM’ and ‘Alf’ magazine and all have singing contracts.

Teenage Mutate Ninja Turtles
A strong team who has gained popularity through their antics on the Footy Toy Show. Hosted by these heroes in a half shelf, the show has a regular viewing count of 14 million and more so if the guys dress in drag.

749 words including title

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
What a match to make my lions debut.
-----------------------------------------
The Video Referee.

Much has been made of the Video Referee (or VR) since its inception back in the 90s – much of it bad. Issues with the VR cycle in and out of fashion, much like the naughty kids at school tend to come in and out of detention. It may not always be the same kid in there, but there’s always someone in there.

Common issues include:
* What should be permissible to send up to the VR?
* Interference by the VR and;
* The fact that he doesn’t always get it right - the whole point underpinning his existence.

The big question, then, is “does the VR create more problems then he solves?”

What Should be Permissible to Send up to the VR?
Anything that can affect the result of the game, right? Good question. Does that mean a knock on should be able to be sent upstairs? As it is now, the answer is yes, but only if it happened on the play directly leading up to the potential try. So unless the knock on happened during the play leading up to the potential try, the on-field officials must spot it without any help from upstairs.

More recently in the history of the VR, specific events have been questioned regarding their right to be reviewed by the VR. Currently, a knock on can be sent upstairs, but a forward pass cannot. Where’s the real difference?

So, what is the solution? Extending the powers of the VR beyond the last play would simply slow the game down while allowing play to continue could unfairly disadvantage the defence. As it is, I have no problems; it is simply the small price we pay to get it right.

Interference by the VR
The law on this has changed over the course of the season. Originally, it was that the VR could interject and inform the referee about a knock on in the ruck. Now, he cannot. Instead, he only has the power to make calls on foul play – like head high tackles. Further, it is not just in the lead up to a try that he has been doing this. Often, a player who has gone down will receive a penalty if he stays down long enough for the VR to see a replay. This power must be extended to any mistake no matter how far the play has progressed providing a new set has not begun. Otherwise, the VR will not fulfill its original purpose.

More than anything, however, is that people believe that there has been little consistency in what the VR decides to stick his nose into. Take, for example, the incident in State of Origin game 2 earlier this year when Danny Buderus was penalised after retaliating to a kick in the head and was penalised for it simply because his actions were the only ones that the on-field officials picked up on. There were numerous replays and, therefore, enough opportunity for the VR to inform the main man that Buderus should, in fact, receive the penalty rather than concede it. Unfortunately, this never happened.

Does the VR get it Right?
A big problem for me for some time has been the use of slow motion replays used almost exclusively by the VR. Sure, the whole point is to see the event another time (or several as is usually the case) so we can arrive at the correct decision.

A stock function of the slow-mo replay is to isolate particular parts of events – such as where the chasers were in relation to the kicker when adjudicating on the offside rule. This is usually quite straight forward, but events that revolve around the ball can be far trickier. Only this weekend we saw Jarryd Hayne fail to ground the ball properly and miss out on scoring the try.

Had this event not been slowed down, then it would most likely have been missed and the try awarded. As it was, the knock on was spotted and the technology did its job. Unfortunately, it is not always so simple. Only this year, a new pet hate of mine has been introduced: the “Benefit of the Doubt” rule. The VR is there to remove any doubt as to whether or not it was a try.

While the VR should definitely remain in our game, it has a long way to come before it can truly compliment the man in the middle.
--------------------------------------
746 Words between the lines.

Timbo

Staff member
Timbo for the Raiders

-----------

Dispelling the Myth

Imagine, if you will, sitting in the stands of the Sutherland shire football stadium, the site of what was once known as Toyota Park. You're watching the home team, the Southern Sydney Saints take on the opposing side, the Hunter Knights. The defending premiers, the Adelaide Rams, are currently beating the Brisbane Broncos by 30 at halftime, so the ground announcer says. Across town at Parramatta Stadium, the West Sydney Wolves beat the Auckland Warriors last night. Does this sound far fetched or futuristic to you? This, if there had been a simple twist of fate, could have been Rugby League in 2006.

What if Super League had succeeded? More importantly, would it have been the disaster that people think it would have been? The major casualty as I see it, would have been tradition. To many fans of the game, this would have been far too grevious a loss to bear. But really, would it have been? Currently, in the NRL of 2006, we have still managed to sacrifice much of the tradition of days gone by, and whilst people were outraged at first, they have stopped caring. The Bears, the Tigers, the Magpies, the Dragons...All have been viewed as acceptable casualties on the road to establishing a truly national, professional, top-flight sporting competition. The only real cries of protest were reserved for South Sydney's expulsion, and now, people are starting to wonder if that wasn't merited too.

The argument of whether or not Super League was in the games best interest is considered a black and white issue. You either totally agree, or totally disagree. There are no shades of grey. And it's completely useless trying to convince someone with an opposing point of view that you're right-they just won't care. So lets have a look at it subjectively, shall we?

I think one thing that most league fans want desperately is a national competition. What we have now is a competition who's most western outpost is Melbourne, and that hardly qualifies you as national. The two main centres that scream for attention are Perth and Adelaide. Would Super League have gone there? Super League WAS there. In fact, the only places Super League wasn't, were Wollongong and Melbourne, and they had every intention of going to both of these places. Super League recognised the need to tap into the national market. A need the NRL is only starting to look at now. David Gallop recently told the WARL that ideally there'd be a team in Perth by 2010, but realistically, 2015. Adelaide has fallen off the map entirely, with only one game being played there in nearly a decade. Had Super League succeeded, these teams could be approaching their 10 year anniversary, and youngsters all throughout Western and South Australia could be growing up playing rugby league.
IT is true, that the ARL were the ones to go to Perth first, and the NRL did try to keep Adelaide on board. The problem was, the ARL set unreasonable expectations of Perth, such as making them field a reserve grade side after originally telling them they wouldn't have to, which balloned their expediture. The NRL was no kinder to Adelaide-despite healthy crowds, the NRL made little effort to arrest their slide on the slippery slope to bankruptcy, and was almost relieved to see them leave the competition.

Additionally, Super League was willing to accept the fact that the Sydney clubs needed to be rationalised. Even today, with 8 and a half clubs calling Sydney home, it's obvious to see, there are too many teams in Sydney if we want a national competition. The AFL saw this and adjusted accordingly, look at them now, even their relocated teams haven't really lost anything, they still identify with the history of their Melburnian ancestors. Super League saw it too. However the powers that be in the NSWRL and the ARL didn't want to lose any of the 'tradition' in Sydney, and now we still have the Sydney-centric competition we've always had. Super League was willing to take the steps that the VFL once knew were necessary for the good of our game, now that chance is gone.

So when people say to you 'Super League was bad-it killed the tradition of the game' ask them when was the last time they gave two thoughts about Norths, Illawarra or Balmain. Or one of half a dozen teams who made way in order so that the game could make progress.

-----------

750 words, including title.

IBG for the Raiders...

----------

Experience Schmerience.

They say that experience is invaluable.

They say that you can't win without it.

I say they're lying.

Many naysayers in the media, as well as some passionate Raiders supporters themselves, are already predicting a few lean years ahead for the Green Machine, mainly due to the loss of captain Clinton Schifcofske, Simon Woolford, Jason Smith, Adam Mogg, Michael Hodgson and perhaps without the legend himself, Jason Croker. Between them, that is a staggering amount of 1161 games of first grade football in the NRL, so there's no denying that the club will be losing a lot of experience, but the argument that it means the Raiders will not be competitive from next year is hardly fact.

Allow me to make a comparison.

One of my other favourite sports is actually Baseball. Many consider it to be a boring game, but if you watch it closely, it's also one of the most strategic and athletic games you'll ever see. But I'm not here to argue the intricacies of the sport and what makes it enjoyable to follow. No, the comparison I'm making between the situation of the Canberra Raiders is to, coincidentally enough, my favorite team in the U.S, the Florida Marlins. In 2003, the Marlins won the World Series, which is equivalent of the Telstra Premiership. They had some of the best players in the game on their team, and they had achieved it all. Unfortunately, in 2004 and 2005, the Marlins were not as successful, and due to dwindling crowd figures and a lack of support, the owners of the Florida Marlins were losing quite a bit of money.

So it was time for a change.

At the end of last year, the owner of the Marlins decided to participate in a 'market correction', where he basically traded away all of his older and high profile players, in order to not only reduce payroll, but to receive some prospects back. Prospects, as they call them in the U.S, are talented youngsters in the minor leagues who have big futures ahead of them, but yet perhaps aren't ready for the major leagues just yet, similarly to many Premier League players right now. Many media outlets rubbished the Marlins, saying they had just given up on the next few years, and that they would be the worst team in the history of baseball. When the year started, the Marlins fielded a team that had a payroll of $15 million. Now while that may seem like a lot, it was the lowest payroll in the league by $30 million, and compare that to the New York Yankees - who in comparison are the Sydney Roosters of the baseball world - who have a payroll of $200 million.

You can now see why no one gave them a chance.

Yet here we are, in mid-August as the playoffs approach, and the Florida Marlins are right in the playoff hunt. The media is raving about this young, talented team who no one gave a chance to at the start of the year, and they are going out there playing hard and competing in every single game they play.

While it's obvious that baseball and rugby league are two separate games, many of the philosophies are the same. In order to win, you must play hard, you must be committed, and you must do the little things right like catching a flyball or making that crucial tackle. Sure, a team of rookies is bound to make rookie mistakes, but they'll learn from them quickly, and the best thing about it is the team will learn from them together.

Next year, the Canberra Raiders will be the youngest and most inexperienced team in the NRL. There will be a few 'experienced' stars such as Lincoln Withers, Alan Tongue and Troy Thompson to lead the way, but you will also have the young brigade, the Michael Weyman's, the William Zillman's and the Todd Carney's, who along with many other talented juniors that the Raiders have, will all taste the highs and lows of professional football, and will grow together as a team.

In years gone by, teams like South Sydney have had a philosophy where you need to buy experience to be competitive, such as stopgaps like 'over-the-hill' Terry Hill, but those purchases prove to be nothing more than short-sighted decisions that serve no purpose, and it shows that it's better to build from the bottom up.

Watching that happen will be more enjoyable.

---------

750 words including title.

dubby

Bench
Dubby makes a hitup for the Raiders...

A prophetic vision of the 21st Century.

I wish to share with my fellow Rugby League fans a vision given to me by the God of Rugby League. A vision granted only after weeks of fasting, praying and seclusion in a remote part of Queensland.

This commenced late one night in outback Queensland. I had been in a state of meditation and prayer for an unknown amount of time. I had not eaten in days. I was pleading with the Lord of League to send me some words of encouragement and vision.
Suddenly an angel appeared before me. He was surrounded by a brilliant white light. He had a ruddy face and he had legs like iron, chest like a barrel, arms as thick as cedars and shoulders broad as a barn. He wore the colours of green and gold, and his voice sounded as deep as the oceans. He said to me: “I am the angel representing the nation of Australia. I am strong, and of intimidating appearance. I am fearless and have withstood many battles over the period of my life. I am yet to be defeated by anyone or anything. The spirit that dwells within me cannot be conquered, but is often underestimated.” Awe filled my heart as this angel spoke. “I have fought against many enemies, enemies that seem to be gaining in strength and tactics. They believe they can defeat me. They are wrong.”
To be in the presence of this angel was truly the most terrifying ordeal I have endured. How could any being confront him and think he could win?
The angel looked at me with his piercing blue eyes, “You must tell the people of Australia this message: This is no time to relax. There are more struggles ahead for the game. Most strife will come from within, especially from the kings of the game. Division and anarchy will be evident, but a leader shall arise. He will unite all boards of the country under one banner, and he will bring unity to the game in Australia. He is a current figure in the game now, but he is largely unknown as a leader. Watch for him to bring peace and joy to the game in Australia. Under his leadership shall come prosperity unlike you have ever seen. New teams will be added, others shall relocate, and others shall grow to unprecedented heights and levels of success. Many fans shall leave, but even more will be won. The game in Australia will be truly national.” Then he departed.
I closed my eyes and fell into another trance. Muttering and praying for an unknown time, I suddenly felt the presence of another being. I opened my eyes and another angel had appeared before me. It was not as big or intimidating as the angel before it, but it was nonetheless imposing.
“Of what you are about to see, I want you to remember. This is a chance for you to encourage the people of Australia. Remind them that this is the greatest game of all”.
The next thing I knew I was watching a game of junior Rugby League. It was played on a small dry field, by players about 10 years of age. There were parents, coaches, other young children.
The angel spoke; “These people are the future of our game... Without the volunteers, there is no direction. Without the kids, there is no future.”
The game we had been watching had ended. The players shook the hands of their opposition; the coach was praising his players as they took in water and sucked on oranges. The parents were exhorting their children. The atmosphere I sensed had a feeling I had long lost forgotten.
I looked at the angel, who just looked back with his piercing green eyes.
“The feeling you sense now, is what keeps me alive.” He says.
“For it is more than a feeling. It is the spirit of Rugby League. It dwells within each supporter and fan of the game. It starts here at the base level in the smallest towns with the least of anything. Out here, the game is more than money and glory. It is about unity and identity. Without this spirit, I do not exist. It is this spirit that makes us the envy of every other code of football ever played, for no other sport has it. This is why they try to destroy us. It is also, why they fail.

748 Words including title

Black Kitty

Juniors
Kitty runs onto the field for the Lions for the first time
*she hopes she doesn't trip on her boot laces*

My True Love

My first love, v8 supercars. So how did a V8 Supercar fanatic end up writing essays on League? Easy. The same reason that girls the world over do things they should be straight jacketed for… because of a man!

Late one night, blurry eyed but sleepless, a certain young lass receives a message from a strapping young lad. He seems nice enough and they start to talk. He appears sweet, somewhat charming, but oh no… he is an NRL fan!

Football, she hates football! She has never watched a game in her life, and doesn’t intend to start now. She looks frantically for the delete button, but it’s too late. She’s hooked - on him, not the football.

This young girl’s interest has now piqued. They continue to chat, she listens to his radio program, she finds herself becoming immersed in his world. Then he brings in reinforcements to lure her into his strange and foreign football world. Reinforcements in the form of an exuberant youth, full of passion for his beloved game. Slowly they draw her in.
’Listen to my show?’ the pleading question.
’Of course I will’ the unsuspecting reply. Thus she is drawn so slowly into this strange realm and she has barely even noticed.

Before she knows it she has picked a team to support, with their help (sort of), by the very girly and uneducated means of picking the team that sounds nice! Hey, it works with horses in the Melbourne cup - sometimes. The Knights were chosen, because every girl needs a knight in shining armour - or tight football shorts - right?
You would think the story would end here, but no, it gets worse. Much worse.

Saturday the 11th of March, dawns just like any normal Saturday, except for two things;
* the first: it’s round one of the 2006 League season,
* the second: she’s watching it, listening to it and even finds herself asking the guy at the bottle shop for the score.
‘A bottle of Brown Brothers Moscato and you couldn’t tell me the score of the Knights game could you?’ she nods toward the radio in the corner with the commentators voice droning out of it. She is most ashamed of herself!

Then she goes and disgraces herself further by actually turning on the television with the single purpose of watching the game. Then later, worse still, tuning in to listen to the previously mentioned ‘reinforcement of League persuaders’ call the Panthers versus Bulldogs game. But only ‘cause she promised to’ of course!

Listening to the commentary she finds herself cheering and jigging and carrying on like a football fan as the Panthers bring it home. She blames the commentator entirely. If he hadn’t have made it sound so exciting she was sure she would have maintained her composure. That young man may just well be the future of top commentators in the NRL world - either that or a politician, (because he sure was able to persuade this girl into listening to the game!)
She still couldn’t believe that she was enjoying football! What’s next... country music?

Well, so far, so bad! The rev head with the ‘no ball sports’ rule, had been converted. Denied her Bathurst 1000 ticket by her best friend because, ‘it would be like taking a Holden supporter’ and ‘my god you are sick! Do you have dirt in your fuel lines woman?’
Instead she is trying to talk him into going to a League game sometime in the future. This saga may end up with two rev heads newly converted to Rugby League, though it’s highly unlikely.

To end this tragic tale of woe, I humbly admit to all that I am that cursed and confused young lass, led astray by a handsome lad to a strange and intriguing world I didn’t know existed. I may not know a great deal about the rules or the teams, but we all have to start somewhere. So here I am completely enthralled, utterly addicted and entirely confused, though entertained in the extreme.

I do believe I have found my true love. On a beautiful green field with large white goal posts at each end. It’s 26 men chasing an inflated oval ball made of leather around for 80 minutes. It’s try’s, no try’s, conversions and tackles. It’s penalties and grown men having tantrums.
It’s so much more than I ever thought it was!
It’s NRL.
It’s my True Love.

748 words including title

Steel Dragon

Bench
Gimme a 'L' Gimme a 'I' Gimme a 'O' Gimme a 'N' Gimme a 'S'
whadduz that spell? LIONS!!! YAY!

Unconditional Love, Unquestioned.

Why does anyone like Rugby League?

Through good times and bad, these groups of men can cause hundreds of people to travel great distances, simply to see them run around for only eighty minutes a week.
It can also induce people to outlay hundreds of dollars of their hard earned money each year, on merchandise, tickets and lord knows what else the marketing gurus attempt to whore out to the public.

Why does anyone blindly follow an ever-changing line-up of men in multi coloured clothing?

Why do we get ecstatically excited when our team wins a match, causing us to hug and high-five complete strangers in a fit of unreserved joy – sharing our happiness and our love of our team? And why is it that our love for them can cause our hearts to be broken when they are defeated – driving grown men to tears?
No matter what the situation or predicament our team is in, there is always hope for next week, next year or that young kid in reserve grade who is showing a lot of promise. Because all football followers know deep in our hearts that premiership glory is only just around the corner.

Why do we idolise the star players in our team and grant them hero status joining the ranks of the other immortals, forever remembered for all their playing glory, in the Valhallan halls of the leagues club?
Do we need these heroes as blueprints to aspire towards? As children – maybe we do. But we grow older and bigger, and for the majority of us, we never achieve our youthful dreams. Then when we get to an age when we realise the dreams we had as kids will never be achieved, we appreciate the skills and talent of those who do even more.

Then, why is it that some of us can absolutely detest a person to whom they have never spoken to let alone know the personality of? They can be the best player in the world in their playing position, but for some stupid reason or another, we can’t stand the sight of them. And should that person later join the team they support, the hatred subsides, or for the most part, lessens. But if the loathed player in question happens to represent our State of Origin or national team, God bless him, we will embrace them like they were one of our own.

What is it that compels people to paint their face in bright ant bold colours and attend large gatherings to scream themselves hoarse - only to be for the most part, to be ignored by those they scream at?
The thing is we will yell at anyone and everyone: players from our team if they are under-performing or dogging it; players from the opposition, because lets face it – they’re all soft and are all cats; and heaven help the referee, who has lost his glasses, forgotten his seeing eye dog, ate all the pies, is of questionable parentage and is completely unaware that the opposition have been doing it all day.
Is it cathartic? Is it a release? Is it simply an escape – an attempt to forget about their everyday mundane lives and live vicariously through the talented careers of those we hold in such high esteem?

Is it simply the Australian love of sporting competition that drives us to such crazy behaviour? Our passionate trans-Tasman brethren would disagree that our Aussie football fanaticism is unique. And those uneducated Australian Rules and Rugby Union following fools would debate that their enthusiasm for their preferred football code is no less avid than ours.
The scary and bewildering thought is that it could be argued, more than likely - quite correctly, that soccer fans are probably more passionate.
So that leaves us Leaguies pondering, ‘where does our fervent support for our footballing niche rank?’

To be honest, any diehard supporter wouldn’t care, and those that do, would biasedly put it at the top of the heap. Above all other football codes and above all other sports.

I can’t think of any legitimate, plausible excuse for the support of my team and of this game. And I don’t think that anyone will ever be able to fully capture my feelings and emotions for footy, but I do know this; I’ll always continue to support my team, and I’ll unconditionally love this silly little game called Rugby League unconditionally, unquestionably - forever.

Steel Dragon

Bench
Did we just get five posts?
I think we just got five posts.
We havent had a full compliment since round 2.
Did we just get five posts?

Man we might win.....

Jesbass

First Grade
*after a few too many post-match drinks, Jesbass stumbles into the wrong match thread*

Well done to both teams, but especially to the Lions who managed to pull together an incredible five posts. :clap: :clap: :clap:

choc_soldier

Coach
5 v 5!

Well done Lions... some quality there. Same with Raiders. :clap:

This could be a close one... best of luck all!

Steel Dragon

Bench
jesbass said:
*after a few too many post-match drinks, Jesbass stumbles into the wrong match thread*

Well done to both teams, but especially to the Lions who managed to pull together an incredible five posts. :clap: :clap:

I just realised - what the hell sort of game is this where the game has ended but the scoring and winner hasn't yet been determined?!!??!!?
:crazy: :sarcasm: :crazy: