What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 vs Roosters

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons record Anzac Day victory over Roosters
Author
Dan Walsh
Timestamp
Wed 25 Apr 2018, 10:38 PM

The Red V march on at the top of the NRL ladder as Ben Hunt and Gareth Widdop did likewise over their big money scrumbase opposites in a 24-8 Anzac Day triumph.

Before a record crowd of 41,142 for rugby league's most anticipated regular season fixture, St George Illawarra's Hunt outpointed fellow million-dollar halfback Cooper Cronk at the Sydney Roosters to have one hand on his old Queensland No.7 jumper.

But the other main talking point post-match was the controversial try awarded to Nene Macdonald in the 68th minute after it appeared Cronk had made a spectacular cover tackle dislodging the ball from the Dragons' winger's hands.

However, the bunker ruled Macdonald kept fingertip control on the ball even though it appeared he lost control with his right hand just as his left hand rolled over the surface.

The score was 18-8 in the Dragons favour but if the try had been disallowed - as most at the ground thought it would be - it would have given the Roosters a sniff of hope. Insitead the scoreboard drfited out to 24-8, which remained the fulltime tally.

Later, NRL referees boss Bernard Sutton revealed the decision by the bunker's Jared Maxwell and Luke Patten was incorrect.

"Having reviewed the decision it can be seen that the ball rotates, which indicates possession has been lost," Sutton said, adding the correct ruling would have been a knock-on.

Referees boss admits mistake on Dragons try

While the Dragons forwards repeatedly bashed Cronk into the turf, Hunt turned the contest on its head with the money play – a scything sidestep for a telling solo try - in a rough and ready first half.

He and Widdop featured heavily in each of the Dragons four tries as Cronk and Luke Keary probed, but rarely broke a ruthless Red V defence that made no bones of a 46 per cent share of possession.

In the end a 16-point margin spelled out the gulf between the two sides, even withstanding the Macdonald try decision.

The masterclass from the Dragons halves started from their first touches of the football.

St George Illawarra went 100 metres in their opening set for Macdonald to score his first try in corner after Blake Ferguson fumbled a Widdop kick.

As the Roosters moved themselves into the Red V red zone, the Dragons infringements began with Cameron McInnes taking out Keary as he pursued a Cronk chip kick.

Several sets, penalties and desperate knock downs later, the Tricolours took the two on offer. The Dragons applauded them, and their own watertight defence.

Widdop missed his own attempt from 40 out five minutes later, while a line-ball Ferguson knock-on batting back a kick denied the Roosters once more at the other end.

The penalties and errors book-ended brutal defence from both sets of big men, while their smaller ilk – Keary and Tedesco, McInnes and Hunt – poked and pestered without points.

But with seconds remaining in the half Hunt went all-in and collected the lot, running off the ruck, stepping Boyd Cordner and Keary for a 12-2 lead.

A Tim Lafai fumble in the first minute of the second stanza gave the Roosters a sniff, but only until Tariq Sims snuffed it out by belting Cronk into an error.

tedescoj-180424-gp-04.jpg

Roosters fullback James Tedesco. :copyright:Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos
When Widdop piloted Sims at Cronk on his own line, it looked like curtains with half an hour to play.

Once more it was the little men sparking the Roosters into life, Tedesco finding space behind the ruck before Keary grubbered for Latrell Mitchell to touch down.

A cross-field kick from Cronk had the Tricolours pressing soon after, but a knock-on in the air denied Victor Radley a 54th minute try.

While the Roosters continued to press, Widdop kept them at bay as he forced repeat sets after the hour mark.

With pressure mounting Hunt was involved once more as he and Matt Dufty sent Macdonald over in the corner.

And with that, the Dragons skipped to their seventh win after right rounds and - until the second placed Warriors take the paddock at least - into clear air at the top of the ladder.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/04/25/dragons-record-anzac-day-victory-over-roosters/

One of the highlights of the match for me was the sight of JDB clapping and celebrating when it was announced that Frizell was named man of the match.

This is a serious TEAM this year, they are playing for each other more than I have ever seen.
There is no panic or lack of attitude in this team, they seem calm and in control most of the time, much more so than last year.

Mary should get great credit for that change alone.

Hills Dragon

Juniors
I didn't believe that it was a try. He lost control of the ball. When they awarded the try, I said "Bullshit". If a decision like that cost us a game I would have been blowing up big time.
Spot-on. If that had been the Roosters being awarded that try we would have been blowing up big-time. You can look at technicalities like "did he have a finger on the ball" all you want, but the bottom line is that he dropped the ball.

Mark D

Juniors
Sitting in a bar in Bangkok just now and had the pleasure of watching a roosters supporter watching a replay of the game on his phone... he didn’t know the final score... I happily announced myself as a dragons man and subtly let him know the final score... happy ANZAC day lads!

dannyt

Coach
Spot-on. If that had been the Roosters being awarded that try we would have been blowing up big-time. You can look at technicalities like "did he have a finger on the ball" all you want, but the bottom line is that he dropped the ball.
Agree.

I thought it was no try at the game, the silly pricks gave it a try (they probably went to specsavers), so it's a try.

Is it our fault it was awarded?

dannyt

Coach
Sitting in a bar in Bangkok just now and had the pleasure of watching a roosters supporter watching a replay of the game on his phone... he didn’t know the final score... I happily announced myself as a dragons man and subtly let him know the final score... happy ANZAC day lads!
By "subtle", did you have a huge 24-8 banner, and sang "24-8" while running around him in circles?

Brutalitops

Juniors
Are you saying you spoiled the game for him as he was watching it?

Drag Queen

Bench
Spot-on. If that had been the Roosters being awarded that try we would have been blowing up big-time. You can look at technicalities like "did he have a finger on the ball" all you want, but the bottom line is that he dropped the ball.[/QUOT
Watched it live on my Ipad on the Fox free Anzac Day cover here in Ronda Spain.
Loved it.
CC
Half your bloody luck. My eldest has just left Morocco for Spain. PS she hates footy so she's probably enjoying some red and tucking into paella. Tad jealous CC :cool:

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I prefer our $1M halfback over the Roosters one.. I mean CRONK is really one dimensional

Cronk is going through what Widdop has endured for the past four-years....no one to relieve any pressure from him.

I wouldn't write him off just yet.

Clearly, the Chooks lack confidence to score points - not that it really matters.

ouryears

Bench
Dragon's were ripped off with tries vs Rabbits few weeks back.

Slaters knock on that was given a try.

Warriors allowed to stand 6 mts back the whole game last week

So really I don't give a rats, at least nenes try was line ball.

It was 24-8

Not 14-8

We won. And we won easy.

Latest posts