What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 vs Roosters

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
Not really, the storm traditionally start very strong, have a dip around origin, then finish strong. Las t year they wer 7-1 after 8 and the year before 6-2. And it’s only last year we started strong then crashed. The year before we were 4-4 after 8 and were garbage all year.
If we can keep our bad games looking like the warriors one, we’ll do very well indeed. If we can improve on our good games then we’ll be right up at the pointy end.
Check your stats before you challenge someone.

Also you miss my point - when I say a top class team starts “steady” I actually expect top teams to still win most games early on. Also you reference one club and last year as your main point - well it was storm first and daylight second before a ball was kicked last year so that is a strange reference point.

Also when I mean they win most games they do so but not with 190% effort. They scramble and get through some games and scrape about until the business end of the year. It’s how the mighties did it for 11 years old pal.

Don’t get me wrong - I hope 2018 we finally get there and do us all proud but look at the last 4 years. We have to forget the past and stay strong like we did in 2010 - belief.

SaintPeter

Juniors
Not sure if this has been talked about in this post (20 pages) but, I was at the game yesterday and yes we played really well. Big Congrats to the boys and the coaching staff. Love beating the roosters. Love sticking it up Lattrell Mitchel (or whatever his name is)?

Everyone putting in......, except Lafai?
I think he turned over position at least three times and there were numerous opportunities for him to take a hit up and give our forwards a rest but no he just walked back to center.

Is it possible to see his stats (meters, tackles etc) from the game yesterday. I reckon they would be out of step with the others.

giboz71

First Grade
Not sure if this has been talked about in this post (20 pages) but, I was at the game yesterday and yes we played really well. Big Congrats to the boys and the coaching staff. Love beating the roosters. Love sticking it up Lattrell Mitchel (or whatever his name is)?

I think he turned over position at least three times and there were numerous opportunities for him to take a hit up and give our forwards a rest but no he just walked back to center.

Is it possible to see his stats (meters, tackles etc) from the game yesterday. I reckon they would be out of step with the others.

Well had had 123 running metres which isn’t bad for a centre.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
With the short turn around and the ending to the 1st half the boys looked dead on their feet. They looked so tired yet at the end of the 2nd half it was like they could have played another half. They get a huge break now which is good to recharge the batteries.

The Damo

Juniors

14 runs - equal third with Jack
123 metres - fifth in the team in front of Sims, Vaughan, graham, and Frizz.
15 tackles, same as Hunt, 2 less than aitken, 3 less than Widdop
5 tackle breaks, 2nd behind nighty

He made some errors but he definitely put in.

The Damo

Juniors
Check your stats before you challenge someone.

Also you miss my point - when I say a top class team starts “steady” I actually expect top teams to still win most games early on. Also you reference one club and last year as your main point - well it was storm first and daylight second before a ball was kicked last year so that is a strange reference point.

Also when I mean they win most games they do so but not with 190% effort. They scramble and get through some games and scrape about until the business end of the year. It’s how the mighties did it for 11 years old pal.

Don’t get me wrong - I hope 2018 we finally get there and do us all proud but look at the last 4 years. We have to forget the past and stay strong like we did in 2010 - belief.
This is the internet, I shall challenge who I please :wink:
Also the stats I gave were correct, new friend. And I gave the last 2 seasons, not one season - honestly not sure what the complaint is?.
Anyhoo, this 2018 dragons team is top class. The best evidence is the season so far.

giboz71

First Grade
With the short turn around and the ending to the 1st half the boys looked dead on their feet. They looked so tired yet at the end of the 2nd half it was like they could have played another half. They get a huge break now which is good to recharge the batteries.

Graham got a knock in the first half as well so he wasn’t 100%.

giboz71

First Grade
14 runs - equal third with Jack
123 metres - fifth in the team in front of Sims, Vaughan, graham, and Frizz.
15 tackles, same as Hunt, 2 less than aitken, 3 less than Widdop
5 tackle breaks, 2nd behind nighty

He made some errors but he definitely put in.

Lafai just looks lazy because he’s so slow. His stats are always pretty good however.

Another Graham Bradley.

Alec's-saints

Juniors
Easts, Storm, Souths, Penrith all in the next 5 weeks and you think that is easy?
Yet again supporters living in cocoons and not seeing things for what they really are.
There will be no easy games in this comp and even games that we win well will take their toll on our team due to having a useless coach who knows nothing about how to get to end game with your team in tact and not suffering fatigue and burnout.
EASY GAMES!

Zucchini

Juniors
I've never needed a sporting event to motivate me on ANZAC day to remember and commemorate those that have given their all to give us our freedom, I've been paying my respects since i was a little tacker and long before the ANZAC Cup was introduced. But without doubt, since 2002 when this clash commenced, the day has definitely taken on a new significance for me.

For the last 6 years i have taken my young fella to my towns local ceremony, where he has marched proudly and is one of our next generation who will ensure the tradition is never lost. In the first of those 6 years, i came across an old timer proudly wearing his medals, marching with his head held high beside his mates and sporting a Roosters pin in his beret. I wished him luck, but not too much luck, and he replied with "luck helps, but the team who believes in each other and what they are doing the most, will win the game and of course, that will be the Chooks". I've seen old mate every year since then and we have shared a few quick quips and wished each other well for the game.

Today was different, old mate is getting on a bit but still as proud and resilient as ever, but today's banter was deeper and seemed to have a different message attached to it. When i asked him if he was feeling confident he replied "Every year this game just gets better and is fast becoming as memorable as the day itself for us league tragic's at least. You know son, i shed a tear at full time last year and i reckon i have only done that about 3 times in my life. You make sure your young bloke watches the game today and understands what it is all about and next year when he marches, make sure he finds another Roosters supporter in uniform and continues the rivalry with them, this game and what it represents needs to continue and remain strong. Best of luck to you today and to you too young fella (as he patted my son on the head) and if you don't see me next year, the game itself will ensure you remember me and that's what it is all about, remembering!"

With that, old mate shook my hand and headed off in the direction of our local RSL club with his mates. I seriously had goose bumps and felt a bit confused at the same time. I'm now back home and have had a chance to digest it and although i now have a nervous churning sensation in my gut, i couldn't be more ready for this game even if i was playing in it.

To all those men and women who have served and through their sacrifices have given us the opportunities we are afforded today, THANK YOU!

Go the Dragons! and let's get this show on the road. Damn i'm excited.

This may the best post I have ever read. I have taken my (now 13 year old) nephew to the game each year since 2011. It's our "thing". He was happy to be pulled out of camp for the day to go yesterday. He tells people that when I'm old and feeble, he'll come and pick me up, with his son (not sure if he thinks he's only going to have sons...) and we will all go together and the thought of that makes so happy. It's not necessarily about the game, it's about sharing that very special day with him and experiencing the emotion together - he indulges his Aunty by giving me a squeeze as I wipe away my tears after the ceremony and to be honest, I think he struggles to keep them at bay, himself. The atmosphere is palpable. It's such a great day. Long may it continue. And by gawd, I hope you are telling us next year about your catch up with Old Mate. Thank you for sharing.

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra Dragons v Roosters: Cooked Chooks fail to fire as rampant Red V roll on
NRL Premiership
simon_brunsdon.jpg

MjY0MjAxODZ8Y3hvLmF8aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4ubmV3c2FwaS5jb20uYXUvaW1hZ2UvdjEvZmExYjUxYjliMTFkNGIwZjVjY2VkZjkyNDI4YTE3YTh8MjY0MjAxODY=

Ben Hunt of the Dragons celebrates with Gareth Widdop after scoring a try.Source: AAP
SOMETHING will need to change if the Roosters are to compete for the NRL premiership at the back end of 2018.

A pre-season title favourite, the Chooks have won just four of their opening eight games and are slipping in and out of the top eight on the ladder.

They struggled to fire a shot against a tough, gritty St George Illawarra outfit in their annual Anzac Day blockbuster at Allianz Stadium on Wednesday.

The Roosters scored just one try as they lost the game 24-8 to the high-flying Dragons.

The arrival of superstar signings Cooper Cronk and James Tedesco was meant to turn the Bondi boys into an unstoppable force, but they are yet to find their groove with the new-look spine.

In the first half of Wednesday’s game they had to revert to a penalty conversion to find their first points when they failed to capitalise on a heap of possession inside their attacking 20 metres.

MjY0MjAxODZ8Y3hvLmF8aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZm94c3BvcnRzLmNvbS5hdS9wbWQvaW1hZ2VzLzIwMTgvMDQvMjUvNjc2NjI0XzY0MHgzNjBfbGFyZ2VfMjAxODA0MjUxNzUyMjIuanBnfDI2NDIwMTg2

Sims dominates Cronk

0:48
The steeled Red V defensive line proved impenetrable for much of the game and the Roosters could only score one four-pointer in what was another underwhelming display by the club.

“Their attack has struggled, dreadfully,” Fox Sports commentator Michael Ennis noted of the Roosters towards the end of the game.

For the Dragons, it was the perfect way to bounce back from last week’s loss to the Warriors.

Tariq Sims put his hand up high for an Origin debut as he terrorised Cronk all night, while Ben Hunt and Gareth Widdop laid the platform for the victory.

They’ll retain their spot at the top of the ladder for at least another week.

It took barely a minute for St George Illawarra to hit the scoreboard, with emotion running high following the Last Post and national anthems.

Ben Hunt chose to run it on the last play of the first set, then handed to Gareth Widdop who kicked for winger Nene Macdonald to pounce and score a stunner in the corner.

Widdop’s sideline conversion made it 6-0 before the Roosters had touched the ball.

The game then went into an arm wrestle as both sides struggled to find the line.

The Chooks had a heap of ball inside their attacking half but a steeled Red V defence managed to keep the opposition out.

MjY0MjAxODZ8Y3hvLmF8aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZm94c3BvcnRzLmNvbS5hdS9wbWQvaW1hZ2VzLzIwMTgvMDQvMjUvNjc2NjE5XzY0MHgzNjBfbGFyZ2VfMjAxODA0MjUxNjQzMjEuanBnfDI2NDIwMTg2

Crowd honours Last Post

2:04
Roosters eventually resorted to kicking a penalty just to get some points on the board.

It wasn’t until 30 seconds before half time that the next try came, and again it was to the Red V.

Ben Hunt skipped through the defence and scored to give the Dragons a 12-2 lead at the break.

The Dragons came out of the sheds roaring.

Tariq Sims levelled Cooper Cronk with a brutal tackle and then he ran over Cronk at the other end of the field to score a try and extend the Red V lead.

But the Roosters finally found their fire when they score their first try a couple of minutes later through Latrell Mitchell.

Mitchell converted his own try and it was 18-8.

But Macdonald scored his second in the 69th minute to put the icing on the win.

The try was contentious and it looked like Macdonald had spilt the ball over the line, but the bunker flipped a coin and awarded the try to take any hope away from the Chooks.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/11537f9759dec14f25a50286d73d7895

BennyV

Referee
The Roosters were a complete mess. They went out and bought the best game manager in the league and confine him to one side of the field. They bought one of the best broken-play runners in the game and while trying to turn him into Darius Boyd circa 2010, they've turned him into Josh Dugan circa 2017. And while they lined up their best attaching weapon against our worst defensive edge, they blatantly refuse to get the ball out there. Robinson has lost the plot.

BUT

There was something in that game that made me feel a lot more comfortable than the rest of this season. We were far from perfect - hell, it was far from our best game - and we have some real weaknesses to deal with, but the way the team played off each other, the shift in attacking structure, the renewed intensity following a hard loss was all very comforting. We have a LONG way to go before I start thinking premiership is possible (and I wont list my concerns form this game , wouldnt want to hurt anyone's feelings;)), but I'm very much enjoying our game.

ouryears

Bench
Interesting this is the view point straight from roosters forum.
Seems they have higher opinions of us than some of our own fans.

QUOTE="H.H, post: 12842192, member: 37774"]
Hate to say it but geez the Dragons impressed me. I think we had a real dig, but they have such a tough and committed side there.

Looked to me like they'd happily defend their line all night if they had to.

A quality we had in 2013 but haven't found since.

Last edited:

hewi

Bench
Lafai just looks lazy because he’s so slow. His stats are always pretty good however.

Another Graham Bradley.

There must be some mistake “ The Penguin” one of my favourite players. When asked who he hated marking the most Terry Hill the Manly centre said Graham Bradley.

slippery5

Juniors
Me too fellas, I jumped up and cheered, I was so happy to see Simsy get the job done.

My wife said I was awful to be so happy about a player being hit so hard......I went and did the washing up after the game as punishment for being too happy!!
Sims has become my daughters favourite player, when we attended the Titans game we were directly in front of him when he was pumping his chest to the crowd & she saw me pumping mine back at him LOL.
Ps.
2nd fav.
JDB 1st

Latest posts