What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 Vs the DOGS

Frankus

Juniors
Covers far more postions.....halves for example
True, he covers more positions but he hasn’t shown he can break games wide open like Peach can. I’d prefer a dynamic game breaker at 14 who can also double as bit part cover than someone who is just cover.

franklin2323

Immortal
True, he covers more positions but he hasn’t shown he can break games wide open like Peach can. I’d prefer a dynamic game breaker at 14 who can also double as bit part cover than someone who is just cover.

Say the game is locked up with 20 to go. I wouldn't trust Peachey defending for long periods. The Canberra game down there May created something out of nothing to ice the game. So he isn't bad that side of things either

age.s

First Grade
I'm sorry, I just can't get enthused about Wallace in the halves. He wasn't NRL standard in the position 5 years ago, I shudder to think how he'd be now. I know Peachey is a long way from an ideal solution but Wallace offers even less there imo. I'd still like to see Luai given a go but if May is ready physically I'd have him back too. Peachey can move to centers in place of Whare. Doubt the Dogs backline has the pace to burn CHN.

That said I think we'll go in with the same squad, win comfortably then stick it out until Clearys return forces changes.

OldPanther

Coach
1st loss without cleary and the sky is fallin brigade are in full voice.

please excuse lack of grammar captials et al recovering after steriod injection today, typing left handed. we disnt play well but got very close.

4 tries all considering how bad we played is good

People can see options for how we can be better. No idea how that can be spun as a negative. The club has done a good job developing players and we are saying why not use them. They're taking a paycheck from our club after all.

mxlegend99

Referee
This team we got now isn't picked to win the comp. This team will have flaws we are missing half a backline. Missing a 5/8th that played and won a semi last year.

The aim is too get wins now in anyway we can. Hopefully guys return and stay fit. Full strength we have no flaws
Except by trying to improve our side by putting better players in positions they have plated before? To both strengthen those positions and get more out of the player.

Peachey at 6 is a flaw. Peachey is a better centre than Whare.
Wallace at 9 is unferior to Katoa. Wallace is a better half than Peachey.
Katoa on the bench is simply wasted.

We have no flaws at full strength? That'sz ridiculous statement. No team in the competition is flawless.

mxlegend99

Referee
I'm sorry, I just can't get enthused about Wallace in the halves. He wasn't NRL standard in the position 5 years ago, I shudder to think how he'd be now. I know Peachey is a long way from an ideal solution but Wallace offers even less there imo. I'd still like to see Luai given a go but if May is ready physically I'd have him back too. Peachey can move to centers in place of Whare. Doubt the Dogs backline has the pace to burn CHN.

That said I think we'll go in with the same squad, win comfortably then stick it out until Clearys return forces changes.
Wallace can pass and kick reasonably well... he's already much better than Peachey. We font need a 6 who can run. Our 7 can do that. We need a 6 who can help our 7.

No one expects Wallace to be a weapon at 6. Just to remove pressure from Maloney which Peachey is incapable of doing.

Worst case scenario is he's as ineffective as Peachey. But youve still made Peachey more effective by moving him to centre and ofcourse hooker improves by having Katoa there.

2 positions are going to be improved with younger, fitter and faster guys. Our attack will be much sharper. The other will hopefully be improved simply through having an experienced option there.

mxlegend99

Referee
I guess we should all watch NRL when the team has the ball. Re- watch the game and see how Whare defends. The game is made up of attack and defense and it would take a bold man to right Whare off on his defensive work.
Whare has the worst tackle efficiency of all centre options we have though. He is not the defensive beast he once was. Nor does he have that class he used to have. However his defence wasnt the issue against Sharks. His issue is the bombed try scoring opportunities. Whare in 2014 fotm has his winger scoring a hat trick with those opportunities.

2014 is a long time ago now. But he was arguably the #1 centre.
2015 he was injured most the season.
2016 he was injured all season. Minus one game.
2017 he was average.
2018 he is still average.

Whare is no longer a defensive beast. He has lost that touch of class that made his winger the leading try scorer in the competition. He has lost a bit of pace. His hands aren't as good. He doesnt react as quickly as he used to.

He can still offer us a bit as a depth player. But we're holding our team back by having him as our left centre. Tyrone Peachey is a better option. Even if only in the short term.

I fully expected Whare to return to form and for Peachey to phone it in this season. But if we want to win a competition I like our chances far better with Peachey on that edge. We should be shooting for a premiership this year. The competition is wide open. We can win it or go damn close.

OldPanther

Coach
Except by trying to improve our side by putting better players in positions they have plated before? To both strengthen those positions and get more out of the player.

Peachey at 6 is a flaw. Peachey is a better centre than Whare.
Wallace at 9 is unferior to Katoa. Wallace is a better half than Peachey.
Katoa on the bench is simply wasted.

We have no flaws at full strength? That'sz ridiculous statement. No team in the competition is flawless.

This has been my point. If we are still wanting wins while in an injury crises why not actually try people who are good in those positions. The club is being conservative and I understand why but I just think we are at the point that's it's worth the gamble.

mxlegend99

Referee
This has been my point. If we are still wanting wins while in an injury crises why not actually try people who are good in those positions. The club is being conservative and I understand why but I just think we are at the point that's it's worth the gamble.
Its a bigger gamble not to make the changes.

Peachey at 6 has failed spectacularly at everything playmaking related.

Wallace has been slow out of hooker. The improvement when Katoa is there is night and day.

Whare... well some people cant admit hes past it. But if he signed elsewhere they would think he was worse than Franze, Hookey and Purtell.

TheFrog

Coach
He wasn't NRL standard in the position 5 years ago
He wasn't considered as good as Ben Hunt, but he did play every game thereafter from the bench, which is still NRL standard. It's like saying Mitchell Pearce was not considered NRL standard because the Roosters found someone better. I'm not suggesting we put him back to half now though, with Cleary due back round 10/11, we have made our bed and have to lie in it. I'm all for bringing Katoa on from the bench at hooker, though.

No word on Wallace's neck injury as yet. It did seem to incovenience him the other day.

betcats

Referee
I cant believe we are still talking about Whares defence like he is a gun defender, he isn't anymore, he gets carved up on the regular. Waqa is our best defensive centre and even Peachey has been better the last two seasons when picked there, though neither peach or whare are good defenders. LIke ive been saying since 2016, we should've just left Peachey at centre and he would be the best centre in the game right now and likely a much better defender than he(or whare) currently is. He had earned that starting spot and we gave it away and now he sits on the bench for 60 minutes unless we are desperately injured.

Copperhead

Juniors
LIke ive been saying since 2016, we should've just left Peachey at centre and he would be the best centre in the game right now and likely a much better defender than he(or whare) currently is. He had earned that starting spot and we gave it away and now he sits on the bench for 60 minutes unless we are desperately injured.

I seriously can't understand how anyone who watched the previous two seasons could dispute this.

Wallace to 5/8 would just be about allowing another option at hooker. We’re a better team with more pace & quicker service out of dummy half.

Wallace isn’t getting dropped anytime soon.

betcats

Referee
Best centre in the game is way over the top for a player who's such a hog but he did earn that spot.

He had more try assists in 2016 than Whare did in 2014, he is a ball runner so his first choice will always be running the ball, as it should be. But he can pass and its another area he would be much better at(positioning and setting up his winger) if he had been left there. I agree he can hog it but not so much it would stop him being one of the best(for arguments sake). His destructive ball running and big metres he gets almost every time he plays centre more than make up for the occasional times he doesn't pass when he should.

Tedesco is a hog, bombs tries regularly by not passing but he was still the best fullback in the game last season(not sure whats up this year).

MrBlack

Juniors
It's not panic stations yet. We are 5-2, not like last year 2-5

But......

Katoa --> #9 (Wallace a polite tap on the shoulder for a few weeks to recover from injury)
May ----> #6
Peach -----> #4 (Whare: same as Wallace)

franklin2323

Immortal
People can see options for how we can be better. No idea how that can be spun as a negative. The club has done a good job developing players and we are saying why not use them. They're taking a paycheck from our club after all.

If we were in Parra spot. No doubt we would throw more risks. Or if say May and Cleary was dropped not injured far different story. The idea is to slide these injuried players back into the team.

Moving half the team (while probably making us stronger now) makes more distruption later.

franklin2323

Immortal
It's not panic stations yet. We are 5-2, not like last year 2-5

But......

Katoa --> #9 (Wallace a polite tap on the shoulder for a few weeks to recover from injury)
May ----> #6
Peach -----> #4 (Whare: same as Wallace)

I have no doubt Wallace will get less and less time as we move on in the season. Probably when May is back to share hooking with Katoa. Hardly need to panic yet regardless

Latest posts