What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 (2009) Cougars v Eels

Pistol

Coach
Forum 7s - Round 9 2009
St Marys Cougars v Parramatta Eels
cougarsf7s.jpg
-v-
par-alt.jpg

Game Thread:
* Please note - This is a game thread only, therefore only game posts can be made here (Teams, Articles).
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

Naming Teams:
* 5v5 (+ 2 reserves for visiting team, 3 reserves for home team)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named

ALL THE RULES & REGULATIONS: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php

FULL TIME: Wednesday 26th August 2009 at 9pm (Syd time)
REFEREE: LeagueNut
Venue: Western Weekender Stadium
ground_westweekender_1.jpg

**The Referee Blows Game On!**

CLICK HERE FOR OFFICIAL WORD COUNTER

Last edited:

bartman

Immortal
The Forum 7s Eels side makes the trek down the M4 for their final match of the season - essentially a match that will decide 6th place, followed by mad monday celebrations... Good luck to both sides!

attachment.php

Dean
fanaticeel
phantom eel
Goleel
MarkInTheStands (c)
- - - - -
bartman
(c)

natheel

griffo346

First Grade
With consolation with the vice captain and myself on our previous results where we have named teams and have come up 1 or 2 short we have decdied to forfit this round.

We appologise to the Eels for this i don't know what has happened and where our players have gone we started well which had me excited for a first finals appearence for the Cougars.

But from about half way thru the season we have lost the plot and there will be some soul searchin with in the cougar locker room for the future of the cougars.

Again im sorry to the forum 7s community and particually to the Eels.

bartman

Immortal
Thanks for the notice of your team intentions Griffo. (See your team thread for further discussion.)

For the information of the ref the Eels will still be contesting this game, and posting (hopefully) five articles for marking.

fanaticeel

Juniors
Just a matter of simple mathematics?

Here we go again, another end-of-season roller coaster ride provided by my team! Once more they've decided to leave their run late, though this time it may prove to be fatal.

Following rugby league teams is fraught with danger as we live vicariously through their ups and downs. It seems as if they are trying to make some sort of grandiose statement by leaving their run until the last moment, so as to build up more suspense. Yeah, thanks very much... but couldn't you just play that way from the start of the season? I'd probably still have hair!

Ah , football seasons! Whilst we haven't yet reached the level of statistics used by American Baseball in the Major League - where afficionados can rattle off stats about errors, grounded singles and sacrificed runners - we seem to be heading down that path with our 40-20's, line breaks, offloads effective tackles, etc. Coaches and others use these statistics to judge whether a season has been a successful one. Well here's a thought... how about the teams we support just win some games instead!

Many of you may be involved in fantasy league competitions. Do you find yourself paying more attention to statistics and what points they may provide, so as to beat another fantasy side within your league? It seems the days are gone when your team just won games and earned their two points. Now there's things called “completed sets”, “percentage of possession” and my old favourite “handling errors” to factor in. All this makes you wonder where old adages like “play the team in front of you” and “win on the day” went?

Of course it's rare for a side to win when they only complete 20 of their 34 sets and their field position is 55% within their own half, whilst only having 40% possession ... but surely we haven't whittled the greatest game of all down to mere statistics?

On Friday night I watched two of the most talented players in our competition compete, Benji Marshall and Jarryd Hayne. Benji threw a pass that I still can't believe - he shimmied through a gap and threw the ball behind his back to Beau Ryan to score in the corner! If I'd tried that when I played the coach would have given me extra laps on Tuesday and Thursday.

Towards the end of game it seemed like Jarryd had so much more time than other players. It was like watching him in slow motion and you could almost see his boredom. Then suddenly a flash comes across his face as if to give the opposing team a chance of realising what he was about to do next. Yeah, of course... chip kick into no-man's land, wait for the ball to bounce at right angles and stroll over the line for the game winner!

Both of these moments were an amazing insight into the great game of Rugby League. I recall players such as Phil Blake and Peter Sterling, both seemingly able to have the ball on a string with vision outside the capability of a normal human's eye. It was like time stood still for both of these players, and the amazing thing is that their skills can still be replayed in my mind at anytime, for my personal viewing pleasure.

Those sort of moments and deeds deserve to be immortalised in prose by the great writers of the modern world, more so than by a hack like me. But just try putting these skillful moments into a statistic and explaining how great it was to someone who wasn't there!

So Parramatta's season now hinges on another “sudden death” game , where many aspects of the game will be broken down into numbers and segments. I noticed against the Tigers that Parramatta completed 33 of their 38 sets, they had 53% possession and were able to play 44% in their opponents half, they had two 40-20 kicks, four tries and five succussful conversions and won the game. Hmm hang on - maybe there is something to these stats!

Now this week, if the eels can maintain 56% possession, keep the handling errors to a minimum, take full advantage of the linebreaks through second phase play whilst getting into the opponents half and red zone regularly where we've scored 37% of tries this season, we could do it!

Eighty minutes with a whole season on the line - can it just be a matter of simple mathematics...?

Last edited:

Dean

Juniors
Dean runs onto the field so he can kick the ball to no one and win the game. History repeats.

Fans like us.

“Check out these twinkies.”

We all laughed at Michael as we walked up to the check-in. It was a nervous laugh because we all knew it was a precursor to an alcohol fuelled weekend, which would afford Michael the luxury of displaying his new found level of alcoholism.

But we weren’t allowed to let him get to us. Trent, the best man, had already set out the rules for the bucks weekend. “If Michael plays up and gets kicked out of anywhere, he’s on his own.” Easier said than done.

The drinking started in the airport lounge. 9 am was now an acceptable drinking time. The plane would land in Brisbane a few hours later.

I’d taken the motto, ‘at least we’re not on a houseboat,’ into the trip. I could just walk away if anything annoyed me, unlike the last weekend that had been tense and claustophobic.

Still, the weekend had an ominous look to it, as Michael had ruined more than one celebration before. We arrived at the Hotel and as we walked to our rooms, we passed more than one Parramatta player and I suddenly felt uneasy. When a housekeeper brought us our roll-away-bed, she told us which room Cayless and Moi Moi were staying in. Privacy laws be damned I thought, but also, imagine what Michael could do with this information.

After having lunch and a few beers at the pub across the road, we dressed for the game. I was the only Parramatta supporter among us, as everyone had decided to support the buck’s team.

After visiting the Caxton Hotel, we arrived at the game and immediately the nerves, mixed with beer, kicked in. My pessimistic brain had convinced me that I had wasted most of my savings on watching Parramatta get annihilated by Brisbane. This wasn’t alleviated when Parramatta scored the first two tries, as I had learned the hard way in the past that Parramatta and early leads aren’t always a good combination. Sure enough, Brisbane confirmed my pessimism and lead at the break by two.

At this stage, Trent was sweet talking two women in the row ahead of us, Philip’s brother-in –law John, had disappeared, and the rest of us were drunk enough to stop caring about whether Michael would turn into Mr Hyde. At past Parramatta games he had ranted until he was hoarse, that Parramatta fans were hypocrites for booing their team when they lost and cheering when they won. Maybe a fair enough comment, but maybe not, when put into the context of a swearing maniac who ultimately would end his argument with, “What are you looking at,” and proceed to start a fight.

As the second half rolled on, the game became a back and forth affair which seemed destined for golden point. As usual, the nerves kicked into a higher gear, and noticing this, Michael began to pat me on the head, chanting “There, There,” incessantly. When Lockyer finally put an end to my pain with a chip kick for Kemp to score at the death, I pushed Michael onto an unsuspecting Chad, leaving them both sprawled on the aisle.

We moved onto the Caxton where Michael was evicted twice, and Trent, the dedicated boyfriend who had changed his ways, continued to sweet talk any female who would listen. At 2 am, Michael, Matt and I walked back to the hotel. As we turned the corner into the building, Michael continued walking. We were too tired to care and let him go.

Soon after, my phone rang. It was Phillip’s sister screaming that her husband was lost in Brisbane. I walked downstairs to the pub across the road, were I found Phillip and Chad drinking, so I gave my phone to Phillip when it rang again. Surprisingly, Brett Finch and Chad Robinson were there, drinking the night away with, what looked like, groupies. Thank god Michael wasn’t there to see them. He hated Finch for one, plus he had a history with footballers. Once, he tried to start a fight with Bronson Harrison. When Harrison proved to be responsible and walked away, Michael tried it on Harrison’s brother, who was more than obliging.

The pub closed and we ambled back to our hotel rooms for some sleep. At 7 am, Michael phoned me. He had just woken up in a construction site.

“I don’t know if it rained or if I pissed myself.”

The first night was complete.

...............................................................................................

746 words.

Last edited:
MITS runs around for the Final round with.

Cycles

There are those that have short memories, and those that don't want to remember.

The First line of Peter Pan is "All of this has happened before, and it will all happen again.” I am lucky that my mind forces me to pay attention to details and to remember most of the important things that I have gone through.

My generation's first real experiences with the Parramatta Eels came in 1980s - for me it was 1986, when there was a great deal of hype about the club returning to Parramatta and Parramatta Stadium. On the back of recent Grand Finals success and a solid decade of making the finals series the club was primed for a big year with a new jersey and a new home. And the club delivered on that promise, winning the Panasonic Midweek Cup, the Minor Premiership and indeed the Premiership.

I attended 3 games at Parramatta Stadium that year and loved it!
Though after 1986 the club struggled for 10 years under two past legends of the club, Michael Cronin and Ron Hilditch - neither able to recapture that last great year of Eels success.

My next set of experiences with Parramatta came after the 1996 Super League affair. In 1997 we didn't know what we would get in the ways of league, so I decided to start going out to watch football games and became a season ticket holder. At that time I was involved in the internet industry spending much time online, and experienced great joy when I came across a Parramatta Eels message board - and even more joy when fans started to organize themselves into groups.

That was how I meet the Parraletics in 1998, and joined them at many Eels games. The first game where I met the Parraletics was on a midwinter’s night at a rain soaked Belmore Sports Ground, which was also the first time the Parraletics met Trish Sinclair. Trish was the club's PR Manager and wanted to encourage more people to be involved as Parramatta fans, and as such the Parraletics received a great deal of media time.

Over the next few years things changed at Parramatta. Membership to clubs such as the Eelite young members clubs and focused fan initiatives in the late 1990s and early 2000s saw the Eels
as a leader in both fan relations and club management. The club also started to excel on the field with Coach Brian Smith able to firmly build Parramatta into a premiership force that was always competitive, feared and respected.

But after 2001 something was wrong, things seemed amiss and small things started to unravel. Both on and off the field, Trish left and was replaced by Mark Donkin who carried on her fine work but without many increases.
After Donks we then employed skilled PR man Damian Kelly who had worked with Ray Hadley at 2UE as an around the grounds reporter and things started to drop off even further.

Then the end of the Smith Era arrived leading to new coach Michael Hagan, who after a quick burst of hope and a grand final qualifier appearance shattered the hearts of many Parramatta fans in the following years with his lack of management of our first grade squad that left Parramatta languishing out of the top 8.

So now we fast forward to late 2009... The Eels have a new coach in Daniel Anderson, who is trying to resurrect the club to its former glory. We have a new PR man in Ross Smart, who became a prime candidate through his work with the Waratahs under tough conditions. We have Andrew Hill in the Club Management role, whose presence was felt instantly with several old fan initiatives being revived immediately upon his appointment.

And now we have a new CEO, who is talking purely about the footy and our desire to win. Not that the Old CEO didn't desire to win, but in the press he was far more focused on the Leagues Club and our income than our New CEO seems at this time. The CEO was recruited thanks to a newly elected Board - a Board that will have a hard job living up to the openness and communication provided by former Chairman Alan Overton.

But the important things are starting to return and Parramatta is on the ascent, so like Peter Pan it is easy to believe "All of this has happened before, and it will all happen again."

745 Words

bartman

Immortal
For the information of the referee, unfortunately I will not be submitting my article in this match.

Maybe call it an F7s sin-binning, with the Eels down to four players? Cheers.

Last edited:

phantom eel

First Grade
phantom eel putting a lobster down for the Eels...

- - - - -

On The Punt

This old creature is one that’s always enjoyed a flutter… There’s something about the excitement of having a bet going on a sporting contest that (for me) makes my role as a spectator much more interesting.

Sports betting hasn’t done me any harm over the years, nor has it made me any richer than I would otherwise have been. I find I can gain enjoyment from sports I might otherwise not watch if there’s something else riding on it, and I can enjoy the sports I already like just that little bit more with the chance I stand to gain something in the hip pocket from the outcome.

My gambling history can be traced back to my teenage interest in rugby league. It was the early 1960s, I was a young Parramatta lad and the local team were enjoying their first real period of success. A bunch of school mates and I became regulars doing the weekend walk down to Cumberland Oval and we used to stand on the hill and make bets with each other on whether the goal kickers would make their conversions or not.

“Two bob says he kicks this…”
“Nah, it’s from out wide.”
“Go on then, put your money where your mouth is!”
“Ok. You’re on.”

An astute student of the game and the weather conditions could make a tidy profit at the expense of his mates! I was also proud to learn that twenty-odd years later, as a teenager my son started up a schoolyard points start footy betting operation to make money from his rugby league supporting mates as well… but that’s really another story for another day.

When I landed my first adult job in the city (in the mid-60s, after the days of the infamous 6 o’clock swill) I celebrated my first pay packet with a Friday night visit to Harold Park trots. The harness racing drew huge crowds in those days, and we put paid to pretty much all of my spare cash for the month in that one night. But despite the loss, as a young man I came to love the thrill of the track, whether it be the “red hots”, the dogs at Wentworth Park, or the “nags” usually at Rosehill. Interestingly, all of these sports might cease to exist in their current form, were it not for the extensive reciprocal links with the betting industry.

But rugby league is a sport that has long existed without any formal ties to the human predilection for gambling. I can remember in the 1970s before the start of FootyTAB or SportsTAB, workers in the Sydney were readily able to place bets on the outcomes of the round of rugby league games through SP bookies that could be found via any number of city bars. I think it was actually illegal, but it seemed so well organised that you couldn’t tell… SP bookies did get a bit of a bad name however, and I guess any endeavour where money changes hands on the outcome is open to the risk of improper dealings. There have been rumours over the years about the conduct of certain rugby league games back in the age of unregulated betting, but again that could really another story for another day.

During the 1980s the government finally realised that there was money to be made from all this illegal rugby league betting, and that it was missing out on its slice. So in New South Wales FootyTAB was born… That human penchant for a punt came to the fore again, and the points start Pick The Winners proved a great success. I recall that for a time the widely known illegal operations attempted to compete with FootyTAB by offering more generous points start than the government-backed operation, and in what would be the Newtown Jets’ last first grade season I managed to get a bet on Parramatta to beat them giving away a massive 30.5 points start – and won!

I still have a punt on the footy today, but we have a whole host of new options in sports betting, like first try scorer, last try scorer, and my personal favourite – the start of season bet on my team to win the grand final. Back in February I managed to get the juicy odds of 25-to-1 for Parramatta to win the comp… I love the rush I get from being “on the punt”, and I wouldn’t have it any other way!
- - - - -

749 words

Probably the best song/piece of music I heard last year was on a CD my son gave me. It's called "On The Punt" by an Aussie group called The Aerial Maps. You should be able to hear it by clicking the top song here - http://www.myspace.com/theaerialmaps

Jesbass

First Grade
That's time, folks. Please put your pencils down and pass your exam papers to the person in front of you...

clock_0.gif

bartman

Immortal
Thanks Jes.

Sorry Eels for not posting my piece in this one... it wasn't really ready and I didn't want to use up the idea without doing it justice.

And sorry to read about the Cougars predicament Griffo, but as I said in the team thread you've tried valiantly during this season to keep the Cougars keen and competing. Hope to see you back up for next season :thumn.

griffo346

First Grade
Thanks Bart i am hoping we can come back bigger then ever

Heres to you and your team bart

:alcho::alcho::alcho:

LeagueNut

First Grade
Parramatta Eels

fanaticeel
Just a matter of simple mathematics? (750 words)
Nicely written with some good points. A few spelling errors affected the score.

Dean
Fans like us (745 words)
This one sort of rambled along without reaching a conclusion – like the night itself I guess?

MarkInTheStands
Cycles (745 words)
Started well but seemed a bit rushed at the end, maybe restricted by the word limit.

phantom eel
On The Punt (749 words)
A good, brief history covering the introduction of sports betting – that last bet you mentioned could be a real gold mine too.

St Marys Cougars

Good luck for next year guys

Parramatta Eels 339 defeated St Marys Cougars 0

POTM = phantom eel

bartman

Immortal
Cheer for the marking League Nut. :thumn

Eels and Cougars, our work here is done :arrow: F7s Mad Monday thread!

LeagueNut

First Grade
blah-grumpy.gif

Backpacker Points

3 points - phantom eel (Eels) :clap:
2 points - fanaticeel (Eels) :thumn
1 point - MarkInTheStands (Eels) :mrgreen:

Latest posts