What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 - Rabbitohs vs Storm: Thursday 6th May 7:50pm @Stadium Australia

callmack1

Staff member
I know I probably annoy some of you when I say every week in the NRL is a big week but you know what? I'm not gonna say it this week because it doesn't apply. It's not a big week..... It's an absolutely enormous week!! Our biggest of the Season so far without a doubt as we take on the Storm this Thursday night back at home thankfully. I've always disliked Melbourne but over the last few years, I've developed a genuine hatred for them and that hatred is only growing. Our rivalry with them is only growing too when you look at a lot of the stuff that's been said in the media in recent times. Sadly however, they seem to always have our measure and we have an extremely poor recored against them, the worst in the NRL. We most recently played them in Round 1 and couldn't come away with the result so let's hope we can do better this time.

No doubt it's going to be our biggest challenge of the Season so far. You look across their line up and it is packed, absolutely packed with rep talent or future rep talent. The fact that they may be missing Papenhuyzen again makes no difference either really as they are no less dangerous without them. I see the Storm as one of the team's to beat this year and one of the teams that will challenge for a Premiership alongside us hopefully. Significantly, I think the key this week is defence. It's been great for the most part this year but has started to look a little shakey since that Titans game a couple of weeks ago. Therefore, that's a huge area of focus for us this week. Melbourne are just so potent, constantly shifting the ball from right to left really quickly and with ease so our edge defence in particular needs to be on. But the Storm will beat you through the middle too so we need to be up for the battle in the middle too and we must hold our own. That means doig our best to slow dwn the ruck and we must wrap up the ball as that's what killed us in Round 1.

Even without the injuries we have, it'd be a bloody tough ask to beat the Storm. But now that we are missing five, yes, five key players in Latrell, Sauce, Cammy, Reyno and Cam, it's going to be an extremely tough ask. Going to be really interesting to see how we cover those losses and the boys that come in are going to have to step up, play the game of their life and do a job which I back them to do. We have good depth this year but this game will show us what our squad is really made of. As said, our defence needs to be on and our completion rate must improve, we cannot give the Storm an inch or they'll punish as as we saw in Round 1.

So, being realistic, with the guys we're missing, I'm not expecting a win this week. However, I'm not saying we're not capable of a win and I back the boys 100%!!!

Gigantic week! Keen for Thursday!!

Travitoh

First Grade
This is going to be tough and it's disappointing that half the spine will be missing. Round one was lost during a very poor opening 20 in a game that i believe Souths were the better team for the remainder of it. Three weeks ago i was looking forward to this and the chance to see that Souths are better than what the first round result suggests.

Not confident this week. Melbourne are buzzing while Souths have been coming back against average sides.

Nafedogg

Juniors
I won’t be too disappointed with a loss this week, never get real excited playing the storm. I think it’s going to be great to see how we go with our depth as I’m sure come origin time it’ll be similar. Just hoping it’s a good contest and the squad puts in maximum effort to give us half a chance.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
This is going to be tough and it's disappointing that half the spine will be missing. Round one was lost during a very poor opening 20 in a game that i believe Souths were the better team for the remainder of it. Three weeks ago i was looking forward to this and the chance to see that Souths are better than what the first round result suggests.

Not confident this week. Melbourne are buzzing while Souths have been coming back against average sides.
Agree about rnd 1, but this one has L over it, hopefully <13

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Melbourne absolutely killed us with offloads in round 1. Only way we can win this is if we win the battle in the middle and grind the game out.

If there's ever been a game where Cook and Walker need to step up its this one for sure.

I want us to make this game as ugly as possible because I think that's our only chance of winning with all the players we have out.

In saying all of this Melbourne are no where near as good without Cameron Smith and I still give us a chance.

Im gonna be positive and say Souths by 4.

NovoBunny94

Juniors
The way Melbourne have performed lately I will say Storm by 20... considering our plug in the middle (Murray) is out, I believe Papi/Grant & Smith will murder us in The middle.

Then again, I thought the Roosters would flog us and we beat them so never know.
Bennett was right in saying we are mentally weak - I reckon our team probably thinks just for turning up they will win which is never the case.

in the first game we compressed and got them on the back foot only for Addo Carr to get the ball our wide and smoke is which then makes our line spread out which gives the opposition holes to punch and the speed they play at... eek

Carn Benny get The boys up for this one!

Jim Rockford

Bench
I'm vacillating on this one. One minute I'm thinking we're going to get our butts kicked, the next I'm sure we are going to call on the South Sydney spirit and pull off an against the odds upset. One thing is sure, the game is going to be one hell of a roller-coaster ride.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
The way Melbourne have performed lately I will say Storm by 20... considering our plug in the middle (Murray) is out, I believe Papi/Grant & Smith will murder us in The middle.

Then again, I thought the Roosters would flog us and we beat them so never know.
Bennett was right in saying we are mentally weak - I reckon our team probably thinks just for turning up they will win which is never the case.

in the first game we compressed and got them on the back foot only for Addo Carr to get the ball our wide and smoke is which then makes our line spread out which gives the opposition holes to punch and the speed they play at... eek

Carn Benny get The boys up for this one!
Roosters flog us?
No way mate, have some faith :joy:

Travitoh

First Grade
If i was picking the team for this week...

Cody
AJ
Marsters
Burns
Gagai
Benji
Hawkins
Tom
Cook
Tatola
Sua
Koloamatangi
Arrow

Milne
Nicholls
Knight
Host

Sele

Edit: stupidly forgot about Arrow

Last edited:

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
If i was picking the team for this week...

Cody
AJ
Marsters
Burns
Gagai
Benji
Hawkins
Tom
Cook
Tatola
Sua
Koloamatangi
Arrow

Milne
Nicholls
Knight
Host

Sele

Edit: stupidly forgot about Arrow

I think I'd have Sele in for Milne. I dont mind Sele/Knight as a starting option and having Arrow come off the bench either to strengthen our impact off the bench as well otherwise our bench looks really weak. Koloamatangi at lock is also an option with Host starting. Either way we're gonna be asking a lot from these inexperienced players. Also is Pat Mago injured i thought he looked really good?

I think your on the money with Gagai shifting to the wing. We're going to need experience in our back 3 against the storm. Not a good game to be blooding a winger having Munster and Hughes kicking huge bombs right at them while Welch is sprinting for their heads.

Travitoh

First Grade
I think I'd have Sele in for Milne. I dont mind Sele/Knight as a starting option and having Arrow come off the bench either to strengthen our impact off the bench as well otherwise our bench looks really weak. Koloamatangi at lock is also an option with Host starting. Either way we're gonna be asking a lot from these inexperienced players. Also is Pat Mago injured i thought he looked really good?

I think your on the money with Gagai shifting to the wing. We're going to need experience in our back 3 against the storm. Not a good game to be blooding a winger having Munster and Hughes kicking huge bombs right at them while Welch is sprinting for their heads.

I originally had Koloamatangi at lock and Host on an edge when i forgot about Arrow. It is definitely an option.

It's between Mago and Knight for a bench spot in my mind. Stiff on Mago but there's limited spots for big men in my side and i don't see Knight getting dropped. Nicholls is safe as houses from the bench while Host and Milne add a bit of mobility and flexibility to the rotations. JCook could be another option for a bench spot instead of Milne as a ball playing lock.

If we go into the game with a one-dimensional bench of middle forwards, Grant, Smith and Munster will run rings around our forwards. If we're going to be a chance to win, we need to unsettle their big boys and make them move in defence. Try to fatigue them and get a roll on that Cook, Cody and Benji can capitalise on. It's how we got back into the game in round 1 and it's how we can win this week.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I originally had Koloamatangi at lock and Host on an edge when i forgot about Arrow. It is definitely an option.

It's between Mago and Knight for a bench spot in my mind. Stiff on Mago but there's limited spots for big men in my side and i don't see Knight getting dropped. Nicholls is safe as houses from the bench while Host and Milne add a bit of mobility and flexibility to the rotations. JCook could be another option for a bench spot instead of Milne as a ball playing lock.

If we go into the game with a one-dimensional bench of middle forwards, Grant, Smith and Munster will run rings around our forwards. If we're going to be a chance to win, we need to unsettle their big boys and make them move in defence. Try to fatigue them and get a roll on that Cook, Cody and Benji can capitalise on. It's how we got back into the game in round 1 and it's how we can win this week.

If we're looking at mobility is Milne our best option? I dont mind the utility on the bench though. In fact I prefer it against a team like the storm to change the tempo of the game.

Travitoh

First Grade
If we're looking at mobility is Milne our best option? I dont mind the utility on the bench though. In fact I prefer it against a team like the storm to change the tempo of the game.

I look at Milne because he can slot into the centres should there be a need to reshuffle the backline in game. He's also big enough to play minutes in the pack if needed. He adds flexibility to the lineup and tactics.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
I look at Milne because he can slot into the centres should there be a need to reshuffle the backline in game. He's also big enough to play minutes in the pack if needed. He adds flexibility to the lineup and tactics.

Solid shout. I see Jed Cartwright is injured and Moga is also suspended. FMD.

callmack1

Staff member
"We are up for the challenge" - Arrow: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/05/03/jai-arrow-media-round-9/

"We have to control the ball earlier" - Knight: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/05/03/liam-knight-media-round-9/

"We need to address our start" - Nicholls: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/05/03/mark-nicholls-media-round-9/

Rehab Report Round 9: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2021/05/03/rehab-report-round-nine/

Bennett to pull Rabbitohs out of his hat with $3m in starpower sidelined: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/05/03...t-of-his-hat-with-$3m-in-starpower-sidelined/

Injury crisis hits South Sydney Rabbitohs ahead of huge games against Storm, Panthers: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-20...on-paulo/3579d0ff-cd7d-420c-b2fc-58d57dd8f75c