What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 10 - Storm vs Rabbitohs: Saturday 6th May 7:45pm @Suncorp Stadium

Steenson123

Juniors
We all know
I think they are giving knight a chance to impress, i doubt he will be re signed by us but maybe by playing him he will get offers and leave by himself,maybe he will recieve 300k offers and we offer him less to stay
Knight is erratic. In the extreme: either he is excellent or pathetic. However, I must say two things in his favour. First, he looked very fit when Demetriou watched over him in the Reserve Grade v. Canberra. Very strong and willing. Second Knight was intervewied Post-Game and asked what were his season's goals coming off his knee surgery. Knight looked firmly at the camera and stated "To make the 17 and Win a Premiership". No hesitation no ambuiguity. It just illustrates that the entire squad is aiming for a Title, nothing less this time.

callmack1

Staff member
Here's an article from Paul Kent about AJ,

Alex Johnston doesn’t look like the modern winger.

Modern wingers are built how second-rowers used to be built, with barrel chests and sneers.

Worse, they are measured like front-rowers.

The key quality for a winger nowadays is to be a good yardage man out of trouble. A guy who can do the tough carries, and all that.

All Alex Johnstone can do, it seems, is score tries.

Johnston plays his 200th game Saturday night but, more than that, he sits fifth on the all-time try scoring list behind Ken Irvine (212), Billy Slater (190), Steve Menzies (180) and Brett Morris (176), with 169.

He is chasing the one individual record most thought impossible to beat.

In many ways, Irvine’s record sits somewhere around St George’s 11 straight premierships, or Bradman’s 99.94 batting average or Winx’s four successive WS Cox Plates.

Or, in a timely fashion, Wayne Bennett’s 900 games coached in the NRL, which he will achieve a couple of hours before Johnston hits his 200 mark tonight at Suncorp Stadium.

You can see them from afar, but only if you squint.

It was a thought only reinforced when Slater fell short by 22 tries when he retired in 2018. That’s it, most thought, Irvine’s record will stand forever.

Adding to their belief was that Slater played 323 games over 16 seasons, a clear advantage over Irvine’s 236 games, and as deadly as even he was, he would have needed another season, and possibly two, to surpass Irvine.

Johnston is in his 10th season.

If it takes persistence to break the record, though, then Johnston just might be the man.

He has had more than one chance to throw it all in.

In many ways Johnston nearly became victim to the modern bias for wingers employed to carry the ball out of yardage.

Not particularly big, the Rabbitohs’ brains trust got together and figured he had no future at the club. They wanted someone bigger, more robust, in keeping with the modern trend.

Fans were outraged, of course.

They recognised Johnston as not only one of the game’s most under-appreciated players, but South Sydney through and through.

Johnston didn’t want to leave the Rabbitohs but the choice wasn’t his.

So as Melbourne circled the fans petitioned the club, demanding the Rabbitohs re-sign him.

Finally it took Wayne Bennett to recognise what was sitting right in front of them.

Johnston was a pure finisher.

Who cared if he was a little light in the carriage and didn’t find those early metres everybody else was so focused on. What he did was simply find a way to get the ball over the tryline, and more often than most.

And isn’t that what the game is about?

In many ways he was a throwback, to a time when wingers were judged on nothing more than their ability to score.

Like when Irvine played.

So Johnston re-signed, Melbourne eventually signing Xavier Coates instead.

While Johnston refuses to talk about Irvine’s record you can be sure he is determined to beat it. He holds the record far more closely than he lets on.

Asked this week about it Johnston shrugged it off, saying all he was interested in was helping South Sydney win games and, if he did that, the tries would take care of itself.

There were several reasons he was asked.

The first was that Johnston finds himself in the unusual position of being absent from this season’s top tryscorer’s list.

After nine games he has scored just three tries.

The second is related to the first, which goes that teammate Campbell Graham actually is on the tryscorer’s list, with 11 tries, which is also unusual because Graham plays on South Sydney’s right side.

Call it an unhealthy advantage but, for years, South Sydney has been a left-side dominant team in terms of attack, the ball zipping from Cody Walker to Latrell Mitchell and then usually to Johnston.

So much, some rival teams began stacking an extra defender on that side of the field in attempts to stench the blood flow.

Their right side was anaemic, little more than afterthought by rivals.

So this year the Rabbitohs have moved to fix their bias, pushing more attack down their right side, which is benefiting Graham nicely, even if it has put the slows on Johnston.

It rounds out the Rabbitohs to be a far more balanced team even if, the suspicion goes, to beat the good sides they are going to let their stars on the left have a free rein.

Still, it raises the question whether Johnston will get to Irvine’s record at all.

What seemed the most likely shot yet at claiming the record suddenly has the wobbles.

His manager Steve Gillis said yesterday there was no time frame on when he hoped to break the record but, all being equal, he hoped to get it in about three years.

“He’ll fill grandstands when he gets close,” Gillis said.

“It’s going to be a big moment in the game.”

At 28, time is on his side. Johnston believes he has at least another five seasons left in him.

Providing he stays on the same trajectory he will eclipse Irvine’s record, of course, a record that has stood for 50 years now.

But the great unknown is what stands between now and the 43 more tries he needs.

Irvine’s record has stood for 50 years for a reason.

callmack1

Staff member
Due to the quality of Melbourne's attack, tonight is a huge night for our defence that's for sure. A huge focus should be on that.

However, I think this is possibly an even bigger night for our attack. It's a real test. We saw it in Round 5. The Storm are a team who have somewhat 'figured out' how we attack, and they constantly have their center or second rower shooting out of the line at Cody, Trell and Lachy. It's constant, they're so aggressive and often read our shapes well.

So it's up to our spine to find ways around that tonight whether it be quick hands, a cut out pass over the top or a kick in behind. In Round 5, we couldn't do it. But we have come a long way since then and are in much better touch. I'm backing our boys to counter it.

I am pumped. So, so, so pumped. Let's do this Souths!!!!!

callmack1

Staff member
This is it!! It's time. Sooooooo friggin pumped for this!!!

Chance for a big statement and to really stamp ourselves on this comp.

Get out there and do it for AJ lads! I know you can!!

Glory, Glory.

callmack1

Staff member
Let's f**king gooooooo!!!! Let's f**king gooooooo!!! My god, what a night. What a win!!! Easily our best of the Season so far and probably the most complete performance I have seen from a Souths side in a while. All this against the Storm. Our bogey side. A genuine Premiership contender. A side that, coming into this one, had won 9 of the last 10. A team who we've never bet in an away game. But you know what? Tonight, was different. Tonight, we f**kin dominated the purple pricks!

Honestly, I knew we could win, but I genuinely didn't expect it to go that well. Our defence firstly was out of this world. The Storm are a great attacking side and we made them look like they had nothing. We gave them nothing. Their only tactic was a kick. God tier defence, Premier-like defence. I'll talk more about it tomorrow but seriously so impressive. That set up the game.

Everything flowed off the back of that, our attack certainly did! We brought the magic in Magic Round and melbourne had no answers. Everything was so crisp, and we were just all over them!!

Man, I don't even really know what to say our how to sum this up but I am just BUZZING after that!! Try and wipe the smile off my face. Go on, I f**king dare ya!! Hahaha.

A massive statement all off the back of what we have done the past two weeks. Our first ever away win against Melbourne, the first time we've beaten them 13 plus in 20 years, and just our seventh win against them all time. God, it's sweet, it's so damn sweet. That rockets us up to second on the ladder after the toughest first ten Rounds in NRL history.

I'm going to say it again, let's f**king gooooo!! Love this team, love this club. A night I will never forget.

callmack1

Staff member
A bloody glorious morning today!! What a feeling!!

Walker, Latrell turn on the magic to take down Storm: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2023/05/06/walker-latrell-turn-on-the-magic-to-take-down-storm/

Press Conference - Round 10: https://www.nrl.com/watch/matches/telstra-premiership/2023/round-10/rabbitohs-round-10/

Souths' warning to NRL as key to title surge revealed, flaw that will keep Bellamy up at night - Big Hits: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/67b800f60d745a7ee7b1481227bd4e4e

Great's daunting prediction after Rabbitohs clinic: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/news-2...ediction/deb41e0a-6f43-4059-b237-5980cab79e44

'I love you' - Tatola's touching tribute to his father: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/live-s...ime-news/b7ce2e13-75f4-4598-865d-6594462e46f9

big hit!

Bench
Souths has always been able to score points. It's the tryline defence that has improved this season. It's making a huge difference being able to absorb and repel opposition redzone attacks when in the past they would let errors and penalties turn into points.

All those guys who piled on with the media to criticise the Reynolds decision, go hang your heads in shame. It was a decision made for the long-term, not the first 10 weeks of the 2022 season. Yes, Adam would probably make the team even better, but the club couldn't keep all of Trell, Walker, Cook, Murray and Reyno for the long-term under the cap, and the club made the decision that half-back was the position they had a young player to step in and do a job. Yes, Ilias' consistency isn't at the level of Reynolds right now, but he's clicking in the system. And that's when you know the club are on the right track. When a player can step in to a legend's boots and thrive.

Premiership favourites now.

callmack1

Staff member
After watching the replay, here's my full report,

Attack

I said a couple of hours before the game last night that it was a big game for our attack because of the way Melbourne defend. Well, big ups to the boys and especially the coaching staff for a perfect game plan and then executing that perfectly.

Firstly, the forwards laid a great platform through the middle. I know the Storm were probably on top of us in terms of territory in the first half, but that was mainly due to us giving them a number of piggyback penalties. When both sides went set-for-set, we were superior, got way on top, and this was evidenced especially in the second half. Big ups to all our forwards because they just stuck it to a really good pack. I also want to give JD some big wraps with this because the use of the interchange was great. Our bench rotation was awesome to ensure the firepower kept coming all night.

What this dominance from the forwards did was allow our attacking weapons to work their magic. And work their magic they did!! I'll go through all the tries properly when I do player by player but man, we were just on fire. Even right from the opening whistle, everything just looked crisp. Barely any plays were clunky, it was all sharp movements, everyone knowing their role, everyone executing. We asked so many questions. Great to see the left side really fire and as I mentioned earlier, it was great tactics. We know the Storm like to rush up in defence. They're aggressive and their two in defender in particular is always up quick. It stifled us in Round 5 but clearly the lads and the coaching staff learned from that. Last night there was so many kicks in behind the line when Remis Smith rushed up, three times it led to a brilliant try. Just wonderful tactics.

Defence

Once again though, probably the most pleasing aspect of our performance was the defence. It was dominant. In general play, it was as tight as ever and we were ferocious. Only conceding one line break all night tells the story, that's a pretty special stat. When you look at the missed tackle stat, you'd probably think we had a bad night defensively, but this was not the case at all.

Particularly the goal line defence. Just brilliant. The Storm are a great attacking side, we all know that. Yet here we were, staunch as ever, making them look lost. The boys gave them nothing and they hardly looked like scoring. In the first half especially, they spent so much time down on our line, yet, we were able to turn them away time and time again. It was seriously brilliant. Their only real tactic was a kick, such was our commitment on D.

A bit disappointed to concede the two tries but to hold them to 12 is still one hell of an effort. Just so impressive and it's a big reason why we are where we are. I can't wrap the boys and our coaching staff enough for the defensive work. It's Premier-like and I hope we can keep it up all year.

Player By Player

L.Mitchell: Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant once again. For the fifth week in a row, he stood up and owned the big moments. You could tell early that he was on, just by the way he was getting involved. Showed freakish vision and skill for our first try as he looks up from dummy half and initially looks to pass, but then in a split second, sees the space in behind, sees the que from Cody and their telepathic connection did the rest. Latrell dabbed it in, and Cody was on it in an instant. Brilliant kick by Trell, just so, so good. Freakish. Trell was at it again early in the second half for AJ's first. Great vision again to see Smit had come up out of the line and there was space in behind. He dummied to keep him and Warbrick from tracking and then boom, dropped it straight onto the left foot with a lovely soft kick that got the bounce and fell right into the hands of AJ. A huge play, beautiful to watch. So that was two try assists for Trell. Even in other areas, aside from these try assists, he looked great. On the end of our shifts he was great, created so many half chances for Tassy and AJ, a couple out on the right too. Showed us a strong running game to make 86 meters, pretty safe at the back, strong kick returns and he did a few nice kicks in general play, something I want to see more of. His goal kicking was alright as well, only missing two. probably the only thing I can criticise him on a bit last night was the first try the Storm scored, Trell should have owned that moment instead of leaving it to Cody to catch running backwards. But another brilliant, dominant night for our man all round, close to man of the match.

Johnston: Returned to his magic ways in his milestone match. Great night for him! AJ has been really good this year without necessarily having the attacking magic we normally see. But that wasn't the case last night. He was back to his fantastic try scoring ways. But firstly, I thought his running game and work coming out of our end was pretty strong, some nice carries there. He was safe at the back and his defence was great. There was a couple of times the left edge got caught out, but he was able to recover and scramble well. Then, his attacking exploits were awesome. We saw things really click down the left and AJ was a great beneficiary. His first try was so good, to recognise the space behind Smith and Warbrick and be in the position, while timing his run, to take Trell's kick and score was classic AJ. Great combination between them. Then, minutes later, he bagged a double. Alex didn't have to do much on this one due to the great work inside him. A bit later, he almost provided a try for Tassy or Trell from a left side raid but it wasn't to be. A bit unfortunate that he couldn't take that pass from Cody right at the end as he would have got a hattrick in his 200th game but oh well, still a great game for him, great to see him get a double on his special night. he really deserves it.

Tass: One of his better games this year no doubt. He looked a real threat. Only posted 89 meters but I thought his hit ups were strong. Nothing got past him defensively which was pleasing to see. There were a few times where it looked a bit hairy and it looked like he'd been beaten, but to his credit, he managed to make the tackle and shut it down. In good ball attack, he was a genuine threat. Looked really dangerous whenever he got the ball. Great to see him get his passing game right and provide for AJ a few times, some of which lead to breaks and half breaks. The most notable was obviously AJ's second try, with Tassy providing the final pass. Great work from the young man. Awesome to see him bag our final try of that beautiful grubber, he got himself in a really good position and the Storm defenders were no chance of beating him to the ball. Could have had a double or a try assist for Trell if he held the AJ pass when we made that break in late in the game but oh well. Really great night for Isaiah, he's gone to another level the past few weeks and I hope he can keep it up.

Graham: Probably one of his quieter games of the year, there's no doubt about that. However, I'm not saying he was bad or had a poor game at all. It was more just the fact that the left edge was on fire in this game, so Stretch didn't see as much good attacking ball to do his thing, but that's okay. It was more of a 'roll your sleeves up,' hardworking game for Graham. And work hard he did! Great with his carries to get us out of trouble as he so often is. Again, last night he was constantly taking the second hit up, which is always extremely tough. His work rate was great with 12 runs for a total of 109 meters, very good. Defensively, he was pretty solid as always. Got beaten a few times, which you don't see often, but ultimately, nothing too major so nothing to complain about there. Just a good, tough night for Stretch.

Milne: Much like Campbell inside him, Taane didn't see an awful lot of opportunities in attack due to the dominance of our left edge. But all the other areas of his game were so good. In fact, I want to give him a big wrap for his game, one of his best of the Season. Just really tough and gritty. Constantly taking some big carries to get the sets rolling off our line. His runs there were fantastic, and he actually had the second most run meters for our whole side with 140. That's great. I also loved his attitude, really aggressive both with and without the ball and we saw that aggression with a few tackles he made, especially that one to put Coates into touch. You've also got to admire his kick defence last night. It's an area he's struggled in previously, but clearly Taane's been working on his game because again last night he was so good in that area. On the ground, in the air, it didn't matter, Milne cleaned it up. Awesome to see him playing good Footy.

callmack1

Staff member
Walker: For the second week in a row, Cody is my man of the match. How could he not be man of the match after that one? He was at his absolute best and you could see that very early on. Scored a try to open our account, great connection and vision with Latrell to identify the space, push through, take the kick and score. Cody should get wraps for that because he identified it and Trell followed suit. He then went from try scorer to try provider a bit later as he laid one on for Hosty. That was a pretty special play. With the help of a great pass from Cam, Cody just eyeballed Hughes and got him one-on-one with Host. He then delivered a peach of a short ball and Hosty crashes over. Fantastic ball playing. Cody then played a small role in our next try as he gave nice early ball for Trell to work his magic. But the next try was awesome, so slick. The ball comes to Walker and without hesitation, he fires a strong pass wide to Tass. Remis Smith was held up by Cody and Hosty so the two-on-one was created. Silky smooth attack and the magic man was a big reason for that. But we're not done yet. Cody picked up his second try assist with a wonderful, somewhat sideways kick in goal for Tassy to pounce on. Perfect vision, perfect execution, just perfect. I think the dominance of Walker last night was best summed up in that final play though. There was nothing on, but Cody creates something simply because he wants to. It's a shame we couldn't quite finish it, but Cody did create it. What's more, for all this great attacking work, his defence was just as good. he obviously failed to clean up that bomb which led to a try, but it was a bit dubious, so I won't be too hard on him. Just such a good game from our magic man, incredible to watch when he fires in big games. He's running hot right now; long may it continue!

Ilias: How good was Lachy last night?!! In a huge game, he had one of the finer performances of his career. I'll talk about his defence first. My god, he just continues to blow me away with this. In that first half especially, how many times did the Storm throw a bigger man at him, yet Lachy just lapped it up and chopped him down. Not once did Melbourne get through him. Some of the tackles he did on NAS were particularly impressive. Has to be the best defensive halfback in the game, so good! With the ball, Lachy was just as good. Nothing particularly flashy or out of this world, he just did his job and played his role and that's all we need from him really. Had a hand in the play where Hosty scored and helped create a few half chances at various times throughout the game by taking the ball to the line and executing his role. It was his kicking game which was probably the most impressive though. Constantly kicking the ball into the right areas, his bombs were towering and put a bit of pressure on. I was particularly impressed with his kick in the set before the AJ try, where Coates made the error. He recognised that he had a bit of space, so ran the ball first, which ensured all the chasers were with him, before putting a brilliant bomb up which forced an error. It was a sign of his Footy smarts. His short kicking game was also very good.

Tatola: Firstly, big ups to him on even playing. It's been a tough week for him as we all know and I'm sure it would have been tough to play this one, that takes character. Thoughts with Junior and the Tatola family. Man, he did great! Awesome performance. really led the pack and helped build a great platform. So many strong carries for a total of 82 meters, not too bad. 22 tackles with none missed, very solid performance.

Cook: Cooky was so good! Especially in a big game like that. he deserves a wrap for his performance as he often comes under fire from fans in big games but this year, he's lapping it up and going really well. Class in defence as always, 35 tackles there which was the second most in the team. In attack I thought he was really good. Didn't overplay his hand, didn't try to do too much, just either ran or passed which is all we need from him. His service in particular was outstanding, pinpoint. Particularly the pass for AJ's second to Cody. That was as good as it gets and that try doesn't happen without a pass like that because he threw an absolute bullet which cut out two defenders so by the time the ball reached Cody, it was too late. Classy from Cooky, fantastic to see him stand up in big games.

Sele: Very good again from Hame, very good. Did his bit to help dominate one of the best forward packs in the game. Very impressive. Seemed to play more limited minutes with Knight getting a good run out there but he certainly packed a punch with the minutes he did play. His running game was awesome, especially his leg drive and post contact meters, but I was probably most impressed with his work without the ball. He was folding blokes in half all night. So many dominant tackles from Hame.

Chee Kam: I feel like I say the same thing about Cheeks every week so apologies if I sound like a broken record. But it's just so true that he does his job. Never anything special, never anything bad, but he just does his job and does it well. This was the case for him again last night. Got to admit, I never thought he'd go this well or play this much of a role, but he's been doing so great. Really holding it down while Keaon is injured. 87 meters for him off some really nice carries, didn't see much good attacking ball come his way though. The best bits of his performance probably come defensively though. It was clear that the Storm had a plan to go at him and Lachy, they obviously thought that was the weak point in our line. Well, more fool them because nothing got past them. Cheeks was great in his defence! I lost count of the number of times he stopped blokes in their tracks, just so good! Well done.

Host: One of the better games of his Season as he continues to build. One of the forwards that cracked the 100-meter mark (116), so he got through plenty of work. The lines he ran in particular were great, very direct, very potent. This is most evidenced by the try he scored, loved the line he ran off Cody, that was awesome, and I loved the little slight adjustment he made to his run on the fly which allowed him to get slightly on the outside of Hughes and run over him. Not easy to do on the run. I also want to point out the lines that Hosty is running as a decoy. On a lot of the successful backline shifts out to our left, it's him running a perfect decoy that ties up a defender or two. it was especially seen for AJ's second try. That try doesn't happen without the lead runner work from Hosty. On top of all this, I simply cannot fault his defence either. Just loving the way he's built into 2023 and continues to get better.

Murray: In a good team performance, he had a bit of an off night individually last week, but I certainly can't say that was the case last night. He was so friggin good! Worked himself to a standstill once again and just gave it everything he had. So many good, sharp carries that had the Storm back, pedaling all the time, then he'd spring up and get a quick play-the-ball as he always does. This didn't stop all game, it was inspirational. His ball playing was back to it's electric best, and he had a hand in a couple of our tries so his role can't be understated there. Great defence as always, particularly the hit on Munster late in the game.

Cartwright: Came on and did pretty well. Nothing too much to write about but I certainly can't fault him.

Knight: Firstly, I just want to say congrats Knighty!! What an inspiration. it's been a long, hard road for him, but he did it!! He's worked his way back. What a story. And not only that, but his return game was really good. I'll admit I was a bit skeptical of him coming back this early but I'm happy to say he made me eat my words. Played longer minutes than I expected, and he was awesome! Tough, aggressive hit ups on his way to 106 meters and he just looked strong, actually really hard to handle. No errors, no penalties, with a bit of ball playing in there too. Just awesome to see!

Arrow: He did make an error to start the second half but aside from that he was great. Loved his work. made it personal with the Melbourne pack, as he always does, and really went after it. Strong carries, toiled away in the middle there and he provided some great impact to ensure we didn't lose too much off the bench. It certainly wasn't his best game, but he was still pretty damn good!!

Burgess: Outstanding again!! Absolutely outstanding. Big Tommy has gone to another level as he was probably our best forward again last night. Barnstorming run after barnstorming run, it was like he wasn't even getting tired out there!! Topped the run meter count for the team with 155 meters. Outstanding effort.

callmack1

Staff member
Well, I don't know about you guys but I'm just absolutely beaming after that last night. A rare win against Melbourne, our first ever away win against them, in dominant fashion to make a real statement. We're finally starting to make people sit up and take notice. Some are even calling us the current Premiership favourites and while I don't like to buy into too much hype, it's hard to disagree with the way we're playing. We've been dominant against the top teams and it was the same last night. I haven't seen a Storm side dominated like that in a long time.

We've had one of the toughest opening ten weeks to a Season in history, yet, here we are. At the conclusion of Round 10, the conclusion of the toughest stretch we've faced in a long time, we sit second on the ladder. It is simply incredible. There's no other way to describe it. Our team this year is something special.

But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. We're going good right now, and everything looks exciting but it's a long Season and we're not even quite halfway yet. Still a lot of water to go under the bridge. The challenge now, as we enter the softer part of the draw, is to keep this up. That will tell us if we have a champion team or not. The real test mentally, is about to begin.

There's still so much improvement in us, so much to work on. And I tell ya, South Sydney is coming!!

Glory, Glory.

Latest posts