What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 vs the Sharks

franklin2323

Immortal
How was he re-signed as the starting fullback? You don’t get a guarantee of position when you sign. Edwards would rank somewhere around the 8th-10th best fullback in the comp, he’s good but he’s not that good. His early signing indicates we probably didn’t pay huge dollars for him either.

Letting Burton go because Edwards is our starting FB would rank as one of the most monumental stuff ups in retention history. I could understand if we had deadset stars at 1 & 6, but we don’t.

Re back rowers. We lose Martin and we go to the market. There’s heaps of second rowers and locks. We also have Hetherington & Leniu who can also play backrow & prop. It’s the easiest position in the comp to fill.

You always see it as the club in the wrong. It isn't just Burton. Look at Deardon if you their managers you would be looking at other clubs. Too many ordinary clubs to not be in the top grade

If you are Burton's manager why would you re-sign here for 2022? Plenty of opportunities elsewhere.

Market isn't always there. You often end up with guys like Winterstein instead of guys like Fifita. The edge defence is important

John Hamblin

Juniors
Edwards isn’t good enough to hold out a better talent. He will lose the position before long. I don’t even think Luai has 6 locked down either.

And Martin isn’t even a starter if Capewell is fit. So by your logic we don’t need to lock him down.
Gee you are NEGATIVE. We are second for a reason, Dylan might not be as good as Tedesco etc but he is a real gooer and as fit as anyone. There are a lot worst FB than Dylan

The_Frog

First Grade
Gee you are NEGATIVE. We are second for a reason, Dylan might not be as good as Tedesco etc but he is a real gooer and as fit as anyone. There are a lot worst FB than Dylan
Of the 1's named this weekend, I'd have him behind Tedesco, CNK, RTS, Gutherson, Ponga and level with Papenhuyzen and maybe Dufty on his day. Latrell hasn't really mastered the position yet, and obviously there are some out injured, notably Tom T. So if we can rustle up someone as good as one of that lot, perhaps his position might be in some jeopardy, but any of them would cost a fortune anyway.

franklin2323

Immortal
Of the 1's named this weekend, I'd have him behind Tedesco, CNK, RTS, Gutherson, Ponga and level with Papenhuyzen and maybe Dufty on his day. Latrell hasn't really mastered the position yet, and obviously there are some out injured, notably Tom T. So if we can rustle up someone as good as one of that lot, perhaps his position might be in some jeopardy, but any of them would cost a fortune anyway.

Also look at the games played. Edwards issue is just as he gets good he gets hurt.

He was re-signed as the fullback. So why would it now change? I just don't see it

You always see it as the club in the wrong. It isn't just Burton. Look at Deardon if you their managers you would be looking at other clubs. Too many ordinary clubs to not be in the top grade

If you are Burton's manager why would you re-sign here for 2022? Plenty of opportunities elsewhere.

Market isn't always there. You often end up with guys like Winterstein instead of guys like Fifita. The edge defence is important

Of course I know how a manager will play it, it’s why I’m so keen to see him get some game time. The point I’m making is I don’t think our spine is set at all.

You don’t necessarily need another martin. You just need a competent bench second rower, we already have good starters. There’s a whole heap of room between Winterstein & Fifita anyway, not everyone needs to be a star.

age.s

First Grade
Yeah, there's a tendency here sometimes to forget about value. Itd be nice to have a top 3 player in all spine positions, but there's never going to be the funds for that if you're not sliding paper bags under the table.

Dylan is a good player in a key position who isn't rated through the roof. That means we have less competition for his signature, meaning we can pay less for him, and do better at retaining players who do have high hype levels (Kikau, Cleary, JFH, probably Crichton soon). If he's punching well above his pay grade (and I think he is) then it's likely we'll much much more pressing issues in the squad.

What you see as negative, I see as realistic. I really like Dylan Edwards effort, his support play is great as well. But he’s no world beater, and if the chance comes along to have a better player in arguably the most important position on the field, I think we should take it.

age.s

First Grade
What you see as negative, I see as realistic. I really like Dylan Edwards effort, his support play is great as well. But he’s no world beater, and if the chance comes along to have a better player in arguably the most important position on the field, I think we should take it.

What if it costs us Kikau?

Yeah, there's a tendency here sometimes to forget about value. Itd be nice to have a top 3 player in all spine positions, but there's never going to be the funds for that if you're not sliding paper bags under the table.

Dylan is a good player in a key position who isn't rated through the roof. That means we have less competition for his signature, meaning we can pay less for him, and do better at retaining players who do have high hype levels (Kikau, Cleary, JFH, probably Crichton soon). If he's punching well above his pay grade (and I think he is) then it's likely we'll much much more pressing issues in the squad.

That’s a fair point, but Luai wouldn’t be on much as well. So that’s 2 spine positions that are fairly cheap, with Apisai on a mid range deal. So it’s not like we’re breaking the bank for our spine.

Fullback is such an important position I don’t think you can just settle for value of you don’t have to.

age.s

First Grade
That’s a fair point, but Luai wouldn’t be on much as well. So that’s 2 spine positions that are fairly cheap, with Apisai on a mid range deal. So it’s not like we’re breaking the bank for our spine.

Fullback is such an important position I don’t think you can just settle for value of you don’t have to.

I don't think Luai will remain cheap for long and if he does, well having 2 players punching above their pay packet is better than having 1. Pour the money into retaining the 7, 9 and a gargantuan forward pack instead.

Souths..

So whether you think Martin will be a star or not. He is still going well in a position we are skinny in

I don’t understand how we’re skinny in back rowers?

Capewell
Kikau
Yeo
Martin
Burns
May
Leniu (can play both prop & BR)
Hetherington (can play both prop & BR)
Hopgood (highly touted junior)
Hollis

I don't think Luai will remain cheap for long and if he does, well having 2 players punching above their pay packet is better than having 1. Pour the money into retaining the 7, 9 and a gargantuan forward pack instead.

We don’t need to worry about the 7&9 for a while.

I like Luai, but if we could only keep one out of him or Burton I’d take Burton.

Also look at the games played. Edwards issue is just as he gets good he gets hurt.

He was re-signed as the fullback. So why would it now change? I just don't see it

Edwards only re-signed for 2021 & 2022, if the club really rated him he would’ve at least got a 3 year deal. 2 years is pretty short for an already starting spine player.

Last edited:

No one is suggesting we go out into the market for a fullback. We’re stacked with options right here. It’s probably our deepest backline position.

kinghippo

Juniors

The Edwards signing was great, he gives us a first grade fullback at a good price for a couple of years at least.
The value of that at the moment can’t be understated, it’s a move that can help us clear our lingering cap problems.
I am also of the opinion he won’t be our first grade fullback for all of it but there is certainly no rush to get him out of it with the form he is in at the moment, and it gives other players time to develop and push for a spot.
The Edwards signing and moving Tamou on hopefully gives us enough $$ for Crichton and a modest upgrade to entice Burton to hang around, and having mates like Staines and Lenui get a run may help too.

Think people massively underrate Edwards. I can’t see any reason why he wouldn’t be our long term fullback nor why we aren’t capable of winning a comp with him at the back.

Where would you rank him among other fullbacks in the comp?

The 2 year deal the club gave him screams that they don’t see him as the long term option.

Latest posts