What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 vs the Sharks

Panther Pete

Juniors
Think people massively underrate Edwards. I can’t see any reason why he wouldn’t be our long term fullback nor why we aren’t capable of winning a comp with him at the back.
I am with you Martie. Since he has come back I can only remember him dropping one bomb but other than that he has looked good and sharpened up our attack.

age.s

First Grade
Think people massively underrate Edwards. I can’t see any reason why he wouldn’t be our long term fullback nor why we aren’t capable of winning a comp with him at the back.

Depends if he goes back to having the yips for any significant length of time. If he maintains his best form then it's certainly true.

I’m not saying Edwards hasn’t been playing well, he has. I really like his support play in particular, too many guys do nothing when their teammates make a line break. I just don’t see him as a star who can automatically hold down their position.

maple_69

Bench
Injuries would be the biggest reason. If he can get this whole season under his belt he could well stamp himself as our guy. If he goes down again Staines might take over.

franklin2323

Immortal
Injuries would be the biggest reason. If he can get this whole season under his belt he could well stamp himself as our guy. If he goes down again Staines might take over.

This is it. He is behind due to injuries mainly he is still improving which is good

WestyLife

First Grade
I don't think he's bad at all. He will lose his spot to someone with x factor and playmaking though.

franklin2323

Immortal
Edwards only re-signed for 2021 & 2022, if the club really rated him he would’ve at least got a 3 year deal. 2 years is pretty short for an already starting spine player.

How much has he played in the last 2 years though? No point giving an injury prone players a long deal.

How much has he played in the last 2 years though? No point giving an injury prone players a long deal.

Fair point, but the club would also be acutely aware of the talent coming through. Do we have any other spine position with as much young talent as FB? Staines, Laurie and potentially Crichton and Burton.

franklin2323

Immortal
I don’t understand how we’re skinny in back rowers?

Capewell
Kikau
Yeo
Martin
Burns
May
Leniu (can play both prop & BR)
Hetherington (can play both prop & BR)
Hopgood (highly touted junior)
Hollis

May I don't think is good enough to start in any position. Can fill in but not much

Hollis was playing Ron Massey Cup last year.
Hopgood playing Flegg last year
Hetherington and Leinu I am yet to see them long minutes to know if they can handle the workload

Certainly none I would be confident for big games or extended periods

May I don't think is good enough to start in any position. Can fill in but not much

Hollis was playing Ron Massey Cup last year.
Hopgood playing Flegg last year
Hetherington and Leinu I am yet to see them long minutes to know if they can handle the workload

Certainly none I would be confident for big games or extended periods

Still think it’s an easy position to fill. Probably the easiest in the whole comp. Second Rowers are a production line these days.

franklin2323

Immortal
Fair point, but the club was also be acutely aware of the talent coming through. Do we have any other spine position with as much young talent as FB? Staines, Laurie and potentially Crichton and Burton.

There is plenty but this no lower grade footy is the spanner in the works. It is hard to tell yet how those guys will go with a year of no footy.

Hopefully something is sorted for end of the year. Even a month comp is better than none

There is plenty but this no lower grade footy is the spanner in the works. It is hard to tell yet how those guys will go with a year of no footy.

Hopefully something is sorted for end of the year. Even a month comp is better than none

There’s plenty of time to make up for that lost footy. Edwards is signed for 2 years, gives all those guys enough time to keep developing in lower grades.

Tell that to Tigers and NQ. Both sides had shockers on the edge in defence. An edge defender is underrated

Circling back to the original point, signing a back rower before a potential star spine player would be a mistake. Especially given Luai hasn’t actually nailed down 5/8 yet. I’m a fan of Luai, but he’s only played 3-4 good games this season now, that’s not enough to say he’s going to be the 5/8. It wasn’t long ago you didn’t even think much of Luai at all.

murraymob

First Grade
Back on subject the game
.The wet weather may not be so bad for us. Controll the middle we win.If API gets Fifita at market run every time
.Our grinding up the middle will suit the wet damp condition.Will be close but us by 1 to 5

kinghippo

Juniors
Back on subject the game
.The wet weather may not be so bad for us. Controll the middle we win.If API gets Fifita at market run every time
.Our grinding up the middle will suit the wet damp condition.Will be close but us by 1 to 5
You right the rain gives us a decent advantage.
We are not an expansive team at the moment, we are built on field control and defence.If we play as we have been with few errors and penalties we should get the biscuits.
I cant wait for this one, but am always nervous with the sharks.
Hopefully the defence can stay strong but I am a little concerned about naden and Staines together if it comes to pass.
I hope leuni gets some good minutes and does the job, and Edwards scores 5 tries.