1. Grand Final Edition OUT NOW:

The 2020 NRL & NRLW Grand Final edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for Sunday's Grand Final Day! Also includes Super League Round 17 and 18 squads.

The Grand Final edition brings you special stories from each camp - Paul Jobber chats with Panthers legend Scott Sattler recounts his famous moment in the sides 2003 title win and looks to the current crop of Penrith players; while Rob Crosby looks at Josh Addo-Carr as he laces up for what could be his final Storm game. Rick Edgerton has a Clive Churchill Medal guide, while Joshua Wells speaks to Brisbane NRLW star Millie Boyle as the Broncos cruise toward a Women's threepeat on Sunday.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - the programme for both Grand Final Day matches along with teamlists and details for Rounds 17 and 18 of the Super League - and you have one fantastic 32-page magazine for your Grand Final reading!

EDITION 22 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Round 9 vs the Sharks

Discussion in 'Penrith Panthers' started by Jane Murray, Jul 5, 2020.

1. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

Which is why I won't rule Whare out for the whole year. Atm it works to get Naden experience there but for the big games maybe not.

2. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

The right side getting the tries were great. Scored 10 tries and bombed 3 more. The ease they scored would be a concern

Not so much the errors as that happens. Storm and Roosters were sloppy themselves this week.. They defended them and we didn't

kinghippo likes this.
  3. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Referee

Lol, a local pub in Forbes ran a free beer promo anytime Charlie Staines scored

4. The Realist

The Realist Juniors

I didn't much like the 24 against either but lets put it into perspective. 1 was an intercept that most of the time would lead to us scoring or a 6 again - and the game was already in the bag.

The other was when we were down a man and the game was in the bag.

I am really only dirty about the 1st two Sharks tries and the absolutely brain dead errors that lead to the Sharks being in position to score them.

In saying that our defense has a few glaring problems. Nadan is concerning, he always has a big 1-on-1 miss in him trying to go a little too high and has been a problem since he 1st hit Grade. People tend to call defender like him a 'clutcher' or Lazy arm. Steph is still learning, and Staines is a little light. Martin also has a few misses in him - not sure if others have noticed.

I have also noticed that teams are targeting the Luai/Kikau combination. The tactic seems to be to run at that edge from around 15 out and ensure that Kikau is in the tackle. They then get a quick play the ball which means that Big Bill, who is slow to get up, can't get back in the line or at marker. They then run at Luai who can't handle it close to the line with a gap and no big body inside of him.

Luai is otherwise a good defender in general play but vulnerable close to the line. He does however have a habit of getting pinged at few times again on 6 again calls for holding on too long. Tamou does the same.

5. kinghippo

kinghippo Juniors

With the lack of reserve grade I think we should stick with a few of the young guys at least for the next 2 games.
    Leaving Whare out for the next 2 games won’t hurt him as a player while Naden and Staines gain a lot from the extra first grade experience.
    If tetivano is back I would have lenui taking burns spot ( can he cover back row?)

The yak and WestyLife like this.
  6. John Hamblin

John Hamblin Juniors

I agree to a point BUT we have had a number of tough games leading up to the Sharks. This is only the second time this year we have conceded more than 16 points and we have played the Storm,Roosters,Eels, Knights etc. Our defence is far better than last year.

7. kinghippo

kinghippo Juniors

We fell away a bit from our previous performances with errors and penalties. Our completions were down dramatically and the turn overs especially in our own 20 were telling. As a counter to that though we had all our reserves on for a lot longer, we reseted players a lot more than normal.
    Sharks earned the first 2 tries on the back of possession, we gave them one, the large amount of sharks points wasn’t technically as bad as it looked.

CCJohnC likes this.
  8. franklin2323

franklin2323 Referee

Tamou will be due a rest then JFH and Leota so will be plenty of chance to give Leinu game time

9. Luke Bowden

Luke Bowden Bench

Our front row is really going well, I don’t think any of them have had a bad game.

I think we can afford to rest and rotate them a bit. Particularly the bench, we missed nothing with Spencer this week. Great position to be in.

CCJohnC likes this.
  10. betcats

betcats Coach

I’d like to see Leota get a start if we rest Tamou or fish, he’s having a great year.

11. Abacus

Abacus Juniors

Hard to single out a player when a team has 56 put on them but as far as his exit from Panthers, his manager was looking for Wade to be paid as a rep half after 30-40 games.

When it was put to them that due to his size his future was in the back row, the negotiations deteriorated & Wade went to the Sharks to play their peptides season in the halves (finishing 13th) before becoming a back rower.

He certainly would have been handy over the years, but if terms had been agreed Wade would more likely have been another overpaid/underperforming player for Gus to clean out - particularly as at the time he was heavily influenced by Lewie.

Kilkenny and Aliceinwonderland like this.
  12. herbert henry1908

herbert henry1908 Referee

13. Kilkenny

Kilkenny First Grade

Wade is done. Great player in his day his record reflects that but injuries have caught up with him and as happens he is now in irreversible decline and highly unlikely to recapture to form of his better days.

Aliceinwonderland likes this.
  14. WestyLife

WestyLife Juniors

Haha "gamble responsibly"

Thirsty Panther and age.s like this.
  15. BxTom

BxTom Juniors

Got me beaten how Sharon Woods wasn't cited for his head high tackles. I saw 3 in the game, only one of which he was penailsed for. Why are the NRL allowing free shots on Panthers players?

16. The_Frog

The_Frog Juniors

He's only 29, no reason he can't play well for another 3 or so seasons, but he was well below par in this game. Maybe he's carrying injury.

17. Mr Angry

Mr Angry Not a Referee

Good on the kid, it is weird to enjoy a young man smash your team.

But f**king good on him. I love a Country kid.

18. GongPanther

GongPanther Referee

The overall inexperience of our side will continue to have these lapses. After this season, we'll be a much tighter unit.

CCJohnC and Jane Murray like this.
  19. soc123_au

soc123_au Coach

It was so good to see his mates there in the corner. I reckon they would have had a big one last night.

Mr Angry and Aliceinwonderland like this.
  20. age.s

age.s First Grade

A big one? They'll be doing well to avoid waking up in Thailand with tatoos on their faces.