What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roy Masters is a douche bag

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Doh, that's exactly what he's saying in the article. ffs before everyone automatically jumps on the Storm-hate bandwagon they should read what the guy is saying! As for the penalty count...he is talking about the discipline the Warriors showed. It was a great display of that & an area they excelled at in that game - let's hope they hold onto it for the final.
As for the 13/10 metres quoted, perhaps he actually looked at the game & if you re-watched it you might find he has something there, but regardless, the warriors had an awesome game for the whole 80 mins & came out winners, Re the polynessian style of playing - you know as well as I do what he is talking about. Generally, our Pacific cousins' sheer love of playing physical games means at time the heart wins over the head & it has been their 'style' for, well, forever. Nothing at all to be insulted about. Cleary's influence has reined that in somewhat at the Warriors and we are now seeing the results.

'Polynesian football'' is dead. It expired at AAMI Park, Melbourne, on Saturday night when the Warriors defeated the Storm 20-12.

Thus meaning Polynesian football wasn't dead before Saturday night. I can read perfectly well, thank you sir. Especially when it's in the first line.

There are just as many Australians in our side as there are Polynesians. It's an old myth about this 'jungle ball' (as I heard an Aussie journo call it this week..which to me is about as racist as it gets). We used to play that 8-10 years ago. It's gone.

The thing that insults Warriors fans most is no one across the Tasman is learned enough to make wise analysis on us, and they trot out tired old quips about our big forwards, we get tired, Manu has tits for hands etc.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Melbourne penalty counts this year.

Won: 10
Lost: 15
Drawn: 1
I mean't at home, and my mistake before the Warriors game they had lost two penalty counts at home all year. So that was 3 out of 14 games. Considering their grubby tactics quite a decent advantage if you ask me........

nrlnrl

First Grade
He must have been a bitter and twisted young man at some point at the very least

thumbnail.aspx

c'mon guys, his articles are always so positive - I'm sure if you looked at them you'd find a pattern

Last edited:

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
'Polynesian football'' is dead. It expired at AAMI Park, Melbourne, on Saturday night when the Warriors defeated the Storm 20-12.
Thus meaning Polynesian football wasn't dead before Saturday night. I can read perfectly well, thank you sir. Especially when it's in the first line.

There are just as many Australians in our side as there are Polynesians. It's an old myth about this 'jungle ball' (as I heard an Aussie journo call it this week..which to me is about as racist as it gets). We used to play that 8-10 years ago. It's gone.

The thing that insults Warriors fans most is no one across the Tasman is learned enough to make wise analysis on us, and they trot out tired old quips about our big forwards, we get tired, Manu has tits for hands etc.

I'm pretty sure he means the 'myth' of polynesian football died...which is what you are saying about underestimating the warriors as it has been mostly going from their game for some time as you pointed out - but not entirely & I for one would hate to see it gone entirely....we need that excitement & flair in all our codes!
re the 'jungle ball' comment - I would've thrown that back as hard as I could whoever said it (an Aussie media type doesn't really surprise me considering their history with indigenous peoples). I agree, it's totally racist.
But I don't think talking about polynesian football or even the 'laissez-faire' comments etc is racist...it is exactly how polynesian style playing is at its best, most exciting, & enjoyable. Doesn't mean our cousins aren't capable, can't adapt, or take on board the (sometimes boring) grind of other styles - they're more than able as has been shown - although I wonder if they enjoy it as much?
I'm Maori and love how our maori teams play, rugby or league, or any other game - that special "maori' flair, the chucking the ball around and taking risks, heart in mouth stuff but when it comes off - te ihi, te wehi, te mana!!! When combined with a bit of discipline it is potent. Same for our Pacifika whanau.

Re Manu...he does have tits for hands sometimes :sarcasm: as a couple of games ago he showed that - is that a polynesian thing? no.

betcats

Referee

Thas disgraceful.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Masters is still living in the 70s. Right now, he's probably driving around in his 1975 Holden Kingswood listening to the Skyhooks on high rotation on his 8 track cartridge player.

Methinks the nursing home is just around the corner.....

Patorick

Staff member
Roy needs to move back to Sydney.

ASAP.

Melbourne is ruining him, and his mates at the Storm aren't helping.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
I've loathed him since the '80s. He was the Phil Gould of his day - agenda pushing merkin pretending he only had the game's interests at heart.

loveleague

Juniors
He is in good company with his parochial,blinkers on style of journalism. Listening to all the interviews from experts and the chances of the warriors - there must be a shitload of humble pie. I used to laugh at Gary Belcher and Wayne Pearce in their comments about the frailties and incompetence of the warriors. Look, this is an aussie competition and you have to expect a certain degree of parochialism and verbal diarrhea - a warriors win on sunday won't change that.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
re the 'jungle ball' comment - I would've thrown that back as hard as I could whoever said it (an Aussie media type doesn't really surprise me considering their history with indigenous peoples). I agree, it's totally racist.
But I don't think talking about polynesian football or even the 'laissez-faire' comments etc is racist...it is exactly how polynesian style playing is at its best, most exciting, & enjoyable. Doesn't mean our cousins aren't capable, can't adapt, or take on board the (sometimes boring) grind of other styles - they're more than able as has been shown - although I wonder if they enjoy it as much?
I'm Maori and love how our maori teams play, rugby or league, or any other game - that special "maori' flair, the chucking the ball around and taking risks, heart in mouth stuff but when it comes off - te ihi, te wehi, te mana!!! When combined with a bit of discipline it is potent. Same for our Pacifika whanau.

For the record, it was Dean Ritchie of the DT that said the jungle ball comment.

And I agree - it isn't racist talking about Polynesian football. Theirs is a unique brand, and a brilliant brand to watch. And it's not to say a Polynesian can't be a slow, steady and dependable type too. They're wonderful footballers and I think their influence on the NRL will only continue to grow.

Latest posts